The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » What makes a good hunt? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What makes a good hunt?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2003 07:38 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
This is true, Dan. But, there are those that operate on different levels. A casual hunt with the kids is a far different thing than a contest where you will drive 1500 miles in two days. Some could care less about that stuff, but others like the challenge.

I agree, hunting with a son or grandson is special. Daughter? Well, I have one, but no, it never happened. I always felt that it was a bit cruel to subject a youngster to the pressures associated with a contest. Doesn't mean that dad didn't enjoy the events. It's different, and doesn't appeal to everybody.

Thankfully, I have the ability to switch gears and enjoy a casual hunt with the kids.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31473 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Knows what it's all about
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2003 06:58 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I'd say that was a good hunt. You got 17 or 18 animals and 30+ years later you still remember it like it was yesterday, I know the feeling lol. One more thing, just be happy you can remember it, it means we are still alive. [Smile]

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
purdygood
Knows what it's all about
Member # 186

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2003 07:31 PM      Profile for purdygood           Edit/Delete Post 
Although I haven't been at this predator calling game very long. What makes a good hunt for me is just having the opportunity to get out in God's great outdoors.Having critters come to my call is second and killing said critter is third.Being out there seeing the beauty weather it be blistering hot or some big ol' storm clouds rolling in or just the right weather to hunt in.I really enjoy seeing the other wildlife activity when out hunting.Sometimes I get side tracked just watching a doe and her fawn or a couple song birds flying around.
One hunt last year I will remember always.I had started calling just after it was light enough to see.I was using a mini blaster up about 1/2 way on a ridge hiding behind a rock.I played the dying rabbit blues for about 7 minutes and had waited for about five minutes just looking over the mesquite coverd dry wash.I made about 3 notes of the second verse and had this feeling come over me.........Something is watching me.I turned my head slowly to my righ standing there close enough that I could have reached out my arm and slapped him on the snout.That is close.We both got this ut oh! look on our faces ,he took off running down hill away from me and I picked my rifle up from my lap and fumbled with the safety giving him a better head start.I finally got my rifle in shooting mode and shooting 3 times and missing.To me that 20 seconds was worth the whole rest of the day even being skunked.I will always rember that [Big Grin]

--------------------
If they run they will only die tired

Posts: 20 | From: Lubbock,Texas | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters