The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Howling 101 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Howling 101
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 09:22 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Kokopelli, no offense taken. It takes a lot to upset this apple cart.
For the most part I only howl from the middle of January to March. The reason being is that there are a lot of fox in the areas I call. I enjoy calling them in as much as I do coyotes. The one fox responding after using a howl was one of a kind and he responded after a good ten minutes of silence after my initial howl. The distress is what got him, I believe. Maybe he was a voyeur and didn’t see any coyote near the squeals and approached cautiously as ever. What i love is that the response of the predator, whether bobcat, fox or coyote is to the gnarly wails of a dying whatever. But once they are committed you can change to lip squeaks and they will not break stride. It seems they would become suspicious of the sudden sound change and turn tail but they never do. Not in my experience atleast. most times they are more excited to get to the lip squeaks than they were to the initial distress sounds.

[ July 28, 2006, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: smithers ]

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 09:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
smithers, nothing against you, but I need to comment on a certain trait; kinda like an incurable "lane changer" on the Freeway.

Namely; I have all these sounds available, and I intend to use them.

Regardless that my animal is coming to the call on a string. Maybe you have not seen it yet, but there will come a time when you will queer a responder by switching sounds, needlessly.

No offense, Amigo.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 12:12 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
LB, i agree. i try to keep things basic. i am not an all-in kinda guy.
bird distress, something is in pain (SIP), lone and invitation howls and lip squeaks are the sounds i usually stick with. sometimes it gets hard when you've gone thru 15 stands w/out a response to hold back but most times i can. i lip squeak when they get somewhat close just because, in my experience, it perks them up and keeps them coming. the times that they have floored it the opposite direction, i don't think had anything to do with sound change. i think it had more to do with Right Guard Sport overload. only calling in a limited amount per year doesn't give me a wide sample but i stick with what has worked thus far.

the incurable lane changer always gets me cause two lights or a slow down later i am right back with them.

dog243
PAKMAN
Member # 911

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 03:38 PM      Profile for dog243   Email dog243         Edit/Delete Post 
Some have question's about howling because of Bobcat's, or Foxe's in your hunting area. If you watch Randy Anderson's New Truth lll, you will see both of these predators coming to howl's.
Posts: 3 | From: Rightside USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 07:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Huntmasters, dog243. Glad to have you on board.

I don't have to watch Randy's video to know that; like when he was still in grade school?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

dog243
PAKMAN
Member # 911

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2006 10:19 AM      Profile for dog243   Email dog243         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I was using Randy's video for something that Kokopell, and Smithers could check out, as both had issues on howling because of Bobcat's or Fox's in their hunting area.

Most of the video's on coyote hunting do nothing but entertain me, as the area's just are not the same as here in the east(rightside USA) and our coyote's are more shy and timid, and most do not respond to, calling from the wood's, into open field's.

Posts: 3 | From: Rightside USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted July 29, 2006 10:31 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's okay, dog.

I understand, I was just being petty. Cats are so visual. Contrary to what people might think, coyote howls would drive them right out of the country, but it doesn't work like that.

I actually feel a little pity for those of us that can't hunt out west.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2006 12:05 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok,.....'Randy Anderson's New Truth 111'. I'll pick up a copy & check it out. Thanx!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
J_hun
Knows what it's all about
Member # 872

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2006 01:48 PM      Profile for J_hun   Author's Homepage   Email J_hun         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not believe cats are bothered by howls. The last cat we shot which was a 31lb Tom came in after I had howled and was shot by my partner. Did he come to the howl? Who knows. I followed the howl with a distress call so can't say for sure if he came to the call. One thing I can say is the howl did not spook him.
Posts: 141 | From: Pierre,S.D. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2006 02:22 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"I do not believe cats are bothered by howls. The last cat we shot which was a 31lb Tom came in after I had howled and was shot by my partner."
----------------
Jerry,
Why did your partner shoot you? Did you have a broke leg or something? [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
J_hun
Knows what it's all about
Member # 872

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2006 07:41 PM      Profile for J_hun   Author's Homepage   Email J_hun         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, I have a way of mixing up words once in awhile. Sounds like I did get shot. I know my partner felt like shooting me last year in one of the contest we were in. It was the last stand of the day and I got one in about 150yds. I missed him,and I don't know who was madder , me or my partner,. That took us out of the money. You know I got a story that goes along with that. There was a foot of snow on the ground and when we tried to drive through a gate we had just opened,we got stuck. We dug and rocked the truck back and forth for about 15 minutes before we got out. It was getting late and we drove up to the first draw which was about a half mile off the road. With all the noise we had just made it didn't scare that coyote out of the draw. I still got him in with a howl.
Posts: 141 | From: Pierre,S.D. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 09:08 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I target coyotes specifically and I howl on just about every stand. We have quite a bit of video of both fox and cats that came to distress after we had howled. I will say that the fox approach the stand with caution, kinda like the coyotes do, rather than run over the top of us. That's not a bad thing. [Smile]

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters