The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Stand Length (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Stand Length
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 09:03 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
10-20 minutes is enough for me, if I'm there longer than that, then I'm either in cat country, have one hung up, or most likely have dozed off. I hate to think of all of the times that I have been startled awake by the sound of running feet.

Once I shoot a coyote, I tend to add an extra five minutes to my stand.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 12:39 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just over on the darkside lurking around.They have a similar topic over there.(Decoy set).That goofy bastard J-H has as screwed up views with his coyote calling as he does with his politics.LOL Saying guys are screwed up making 10-15 minute "contest calling stands".And saying you need to stay on a stand 45 minutes to be very successful.(even in the west),and any coyote that hears his calling, he will kill.Calling himself a Zen Master to coyote calling.I think the guys a legend in his own mind.LOL Just thought it was kind of funny.Good Hunting Chad

[ July 30, 2006, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1626 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 02:09 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad, you don't hunt with Airedales, so you don't understand. Once you turn them dogs loose, it'll take at least 45 minutes or more to catch them again, and if they don't come back smelling like a skunk, you will be spending the next hour or two pulling porcupine quills out of them.

You can sometimes get four stands in a day, if you hunt real hard, just by using those dogs.

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 03:21 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
You got that right Tim B. those airedales love to get stuck with those porcupine quills. When i had hidi on a hunting trip she run off and came back a hour later and her face was full. It was more than the both of us could bare so i took her to a vet to get the quills out.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5083 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 03:58 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad, I think you hit on the motivation for the original topic. Supposedly, (and understandably) the reason he badmouths contests is that he never did well on them? And, that was pre airdale. But, ask a few of his buddies, like Vic and Tim.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31476 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
LionHo
Knows what it's all about
Member # 233

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 04:18 PM      Profile for LionHo   Email LionHo         Edit/Delete Post 
45 minutes minimum to a couple of hours. But that's cuz I'm after cats , not especially coyotes (and close-up pictures of them, to boot).

It's rare that I'll call a bobcat sooner than 20 minutes. Probably average 30 minutes. I've had them bound over within 30 seconds, though.

I've also called a fair number of coyotes beyond 15 minutes, but like Rich said, they were probably travelling into range.

Fox sometimes get curious and come in at about 20-25 minutes.

LionHo

Posts: 88 | From: Ventana Wilderness, CA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 05:28 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
I`m sure you`ll get over it Chad.

15 to 30 mins. for me depending on the location.

I hunt with Airedales Tim & have never had to "catch" them nor wait for 45min. whilst they do what they please. That may have been your experience but is not indicitive of hunting with all Airedales.

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 06:44 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing really to get over JD.I've been hunting coyotes long enough to see through most of the B.S.And I need hip boots to wade through the stuff J-H is piling up.LOL
Posts: 1626 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 07:09 PM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Tim is describing a sub-species known as the AZ Airdale.
Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 07:56 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I was just stirring the pot a little Chad, which seems to be the premise of this topic. [Smile]

JRB....That`s the exact breed I own. I`m not taking a shot at Tim or his opinions I`m merely interjecting some truth into the grudge match.

--------------------
Jason

Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 08:00 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, I'm not trying to condemn any man's choice of dog. I can only comment on the one's I've hunted with, if others of that breed are different, then I just haven't seen it yet. If I thought an Airedale would make a valuable and positive influence on a coyote stand, I would own and use one.

If you like them, then go right ahead and use them, but don't try to tell me how an Airedale makes a good coyote calling dog. I've given more than a fair share of them a chance, and them dogs can't hunt.

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 08:41 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen Cal's video. HIS dogs mind their master.

By all accounts, JH's dogs run amuck and any coyote that shows up is run off by THE NATION.

If that's how it's supposed to be, I'll be dipped in shit!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 09:04 PM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't disagreeing Tim. My experience with Airdales is limited to one day of hunting with JH's dogs- and it wasn't productive. Not a fair shake for any tactic or product, just putting my spoon in the pot.

Hell I just noticed there are two Jasons in this thread- kinda clouds the water of my response.

JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 09:19 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
them dogs can't hunt.
and a .17 won`t kill a coyote either....Bullshit Tim, you`re grudge has caused you to see things a little blurry, shame on you for making a blanket statement based on how you see J-H & his dogs.

quote:
any coyote that shows up is run off by THE NATION
Bullshit on you too Leonard, I`ve seen them at work & NO their every move isn`t controlled as much as most would like but who am I to tell a man how to run his pack. I own one of the nation & he`s done just fine at tolling & helps out a great deal when coon hunting also. I own a female pup of the same blood that is even better. All of his dogs are not good tolling dogs but a few are. I suspect your replies have more to do with the owner than they do the dogs. I`m not trying to get involved in private affairs but I`m not afraid to call bullshit on even you two for those kinds of statements.

--------------------
Jason

Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 09:24 PM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Head for the door JD...

Bill Martz
Bill Martz
Bill Martz
Bill Martz
Bill Martz
Bill Martz
Bill Martz

Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 09:46 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
JD, if your dog hunts, good for you, I obviously never hunted with it.

Let me clarify my statement just a little better, I have never hunted with any dog of JH's that I would consider to be a hunting dog. Some of his dogs might have made good friends and companions, but they were useless on coyotes or bear.

Nothing against you or your dog, I'm just telling you what I have observed. If an Airedale made a good hunting dog, why wouldn't more Pro's be using them?

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 10:09 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that your experience has been less than a good one & I`m O.K. with that I was just responding to a blanket statement.

Why don`t contest hunters use a .17 ? Most don`t, does that make it a bad cartridge?

JRB... I made no personal attacks on Tim or Leonard as I have as much respect for them both as I can with what I know about them. If Leonard tosses my ass out the door for having an opinion or belief that doesn`t conform to his expectations of me...well...I`d be shocked, however I`m a big boy & can handle the consequences of my actions should there be any. But be warned that the next time you reference Wild Bill in comparison to me I probably won`t be as civil. [Smile]

--------------------
Jason

ACC
Member # 903

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 10:14 PM      Profile for ACC           Edit/Delete Post 
Back on topic, probably about 15 minutes unless hunting for the bigger stuff.

[ July 30, 2006, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: ACC ]

Posts: 41 | From: It takes a whole lot of liquor to like her! | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 10:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's like this, JD.

Any man that sits a coyote stand outside of denning season with an undisciplined dog, is no authority on hunting coyotes. Nor will he be very successful.

We aren't going to reinvent the wheel here; dogs on a coyote stand is what's bullshit, regardless of the bloodline.

And, hell yes, it's personal; has been for a long time, but I don't see where that has anything to do with logic? Or truth?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

ACC
Member # 903

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 10:43 PM      Profile for ACC           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

Are you saying that all hunting of yotes with dogs is BS?

Posts: 41 | From: It takes a whole lot of liquor to like her! | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2006 05:34 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
ACC,

If you can't read any better than that, maybe you need to give up the internet, and go back to TV.

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2006 05:46 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
God I hate it when threads go to hell like this....

Heres my take. I have never called coyotes with JH. Never. I have never had a dog on a calling stand, outside of denning season. That was my dogs and only a few times. So, I guess I really dont know what Im talking about, I guess. I dont guess I can agrue the fact of hunting with dogs outside of denning coyotes. I do have two Airedales, one from JH and one from the same bloodlines. I wouldnt trade them for anything. Besides being good companions and buddies, they are great for treeing coons and squirrels. They will catch just about anything you put them on, or tree it. Just great all around hunting dogs, at least mine are. And, you cant hurt the damned things and I havent seen them tackle any animal yet that didnt end up dead. Hell, Tagger has killed the coyotes I have put him on quicker than alot of guys I have seen can with a rifle. I like that. Cal is right, they are a bit hard headed, but nothing a little proper training with a collar wont cure. Not alot, they are smart enough to pick up on it quickly. But, I would rather have a hunting dog anyday that I have to rein in a little rather than try and get them to start.

As for JHs dogs and tolling, I dont know. I havent been there. But, I do know this. Look at everything else in JHs life. His home is a sty. His camper is a sty. His trucks are patchwork. Does this mean that all adobes, trailers, campers, Ford F250s and Scouts are junk? Hell no, it means JH dont take care of shit and lets them go to hell. Is it any wonder his dogs are unruly on stand? Seems as if his whole life is. Im not joining the JH bashing crew either, just stating facts.

As for JD, I know him pretty well too. I have never hunted with his dogs. I do know this though, he is one hell of a standup guy. If he says his dogs do something, you can take that to the bank. And, hes not a KHD ass kisser either. He will call bullshit on him as quick as he did this thread. I can vouch for that too. JDs life is not out of whack. Hes a good guy that works his ass off. Nothing in his life is even close to JHs. Just like his dogs.

From what I have seen, Leonard is right. This is personal. And, I dont blame you. I wasnt around when alot of the BS on the boards took place. But, if it happened to me, I would probably be pissed too. I understand Tim and Vics points too. I would hold a grudge as well if I had to put up with the same bullshit they have.

I havent hunted with my airdales enough to make a good informed opinion, especially on a calling stand. I dont know I will ever call with them outside of a few denning coyotes. I havent even scratched the surface on what it will take to convince me that I want a dog on a stand in the winter. But, on the same token, I do know enough that blanket statements about Airdales being no good, period, is bullshit as well.

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2006 06:14 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Is the whole jist that longer stands pay off because sooner or later a coyote will walk into your "sound cone"? That's not much of a factor when you're dealing with square mile sections with coyotes that are reluctant to cross roads and hiways during the daytime. IMHO, most of the area's I hunt any coyote would more than likely be hearing the call from the get'go, although It wouldn't take much to convice me that under alot of field conditions, a coyotes hearing is overrated.

Dennis

[ July 31, 2006, 06:24 AM: Message edited by: Greenside ]

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2006 06:18 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Thats kinda what I gather, Greenside.... That and something to do with chasing white rabbits while chanting through some mushrooms?? [Wink]

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2006 06:30 AM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you can't read any better than that, maybe you need to give up the internet, and go back to TV.

I like starting my day with a good laugh. [Big Grin]

Leonard, I shouldn`t have said a word about personal conflicts, that was probably out of line to begin with. But sometimes it seems (at least to me) that bad information is given on this board concerning any technique or method that J-H uses....just because it`s "him".

If you don`t like hunting with dogs on a stand, I`m O.K. with that but when you said
quote:
We aren't going to reinvent the wheel here; dogs on a coyote stand is what's bullshit, regardless of the bloodline.
....I gotta disagree with a blanket statement like that, even if it ruins Vics thread & stirs the natives a little [Smile]

--------------------
Jason

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters