The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Camp-out coyote kills (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Camp-out coyote kills
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2006 09:07 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
He told me he was going to do it. Thinks somebody is (might be?) harvesting info. All I know? LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31460 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nahuatl
Knows what it's all about
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2006 01:53 PM      Profile for Nahuatl   Email Nahuatl         Edit/Delete Post 
Danny el loco wanted the story, so I hope he got to read it while it was there. Tim wanted numbers from the camp out, so I left those up.

There seems to be some overtly aggressive enforcement aimed at coyote hunters here in SoCal.

And since we're hunting totally legally and following every rule, now they're changing the rules and making stuff up. I just heard from a reputable source that a couple of guys were cited using rifles in daylight. They were hunting coyotes without a deer tag. Huh? Fish and Game has sunk to a new low. Get a life.

[ November 08, 2006, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Nahuatl ]

Posts: 202 | From: Mount Gleason, Angeles NF | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2006 02:57 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Nahuatl; Citing someone for 'Hunting coyotes w/o a deer tag' sounds like something that my good friend <grin> Warden Warren Crooker would pull.

However; If you check the regs very carefully, you'll find that most states require a big game tag during season if you're carrying anything over .224. To many guys out hunting deer with no tag, a plugged up varmint call and a mag. rifle claiming they're 'just hunting coyotes'.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2006 05:27 PM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
yes.. in AZ, it wasn't long ago that if there was a big game hunt on in a unit, you had to be careful with the equipment used in a predator hunt...

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nahuatl
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2006 06:43 AM      Profile for Nahuatl   Email Nahuatl         Edit/Delete Post 
By the same logic, since I hunt much of the time with a shotgun, I guess I can be cited for hunting coyotes without a bird stamp, or with lead shot during duck season, or with #4 buck during turkey season. If someone from F&G really wants to cite me for something, I'm sure they'll figure out a way. My question is - Do I need pig tags to hunt coyotes?

I struck up a conversation about hatch construction with a few interested people at CaliVC, and after a few aggravating posts, figured out I was corresponding with a police chief, a fish & game employee, and another fool who's been cited for carrying a loaded Mini-14 in the pickup and is dancing through hoops to get it dismissed. They make quite a team and I wouldn't trust them one iota - shame on me. I ripped down a few posts here and there. If they copied them or passed them on, so be it. Otherwise they're operating from memory. It took a lot to pry out their agendas, and those details were at one time posted on the web too, but it seems they have been deleting those little tidbits and covering their tracks as well.

If any of them show up on LB's site, and I recognize them by any name, I'll eagerly point them out.

[ November 09, 2006, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: Nahuatl ]

Posts: 202 | From: Mount Gleason, Angeles NF | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2006 12:53 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Nahuatl; I'm not sure if you could be cited for the examples you gave or not. It would likely depend on the warden. However, I wouldn't recomend removing the plug in your shotgun just because you're not hunting birds. As far as pig tags go, they would justify carrying larger centerfire weapons but could be considered de facto evidence of attempting to poach if you're hunting at night. You may also want to check to see if there are any hunter orange requirements during big game seasons that apply to coyote hunters. (Even at night)

Aren't regulations fun ?? No, wait; those regs that you get when you buy your license........they aren't really the regs. They are 'a summary' of the regs. Try calling Game & Fish and telling them that you would like a copy of the actual regulations. Better yet, request it in writing & keep the reply.

The sad part is that while most of the wardens that I've met have been really decent people, it's a couple of dick-heads that stand out.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2006 06:07 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a better example that a warden claiming that you aren't hunting coyotes in deer season is claiming to be hunting coyotes, without bobcat tags. I do think you must have a hunting license in CA just to plink at cans. Or, in other words, if you are walking around with a gun, and no hunting license, they can cite you.....I think?

Good huting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31460 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2006 08:07 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Basically, you can be cited by a warden if;
(1) You are in apparent violation of the F & G code.

(2) The warden is in a bad mood or a dick head.

(3) You piss him off.

You then get to go before a judge who may or may not be anti-gun & anti hunting. Even if you fight and win, you still lose a day off work to go to court, ect.

Best bet is to know all of the regs forward & backwards, try to stay legal, and if possible contact the warden in your hunting area ahead of time with the 'who, when, what, where, & whys'.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters