The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » question on when to stop em (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: question on when to stop em
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2007 01:59 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"As I have always "maintained", you want high densities, scout around McNeal. Make the pilgrimage; I did."
-----------------------
Hey Leonard,
Is it really true that you can call those City coyotes down there in Arizonia simply by whistling the old Dixie tune? Call em right in with wind in your face, even being all sweaty and reaking with human odor? How about banging a garbage can lid with a rock, does that work? I hear all of these rumors ya know? I even read about a coyote hanging out in a grocery store down there awhile back. [Smile]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2007 02:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's incredible, Rich. Not only are they thick as fleas, they are members of the Forest Gump subspecies.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31502 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2007 03:47 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Momma always said...."a coyote is as a coyote does"

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2007 05:00 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

Now I am really upset. My Daddy could have moved his family to a coyote caller's paradise like those found in Arizonia just as easily as a cornfield desert like Iowa, for crying out loud! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2007 04:56 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Something to do with the heat that makes 'em want to die so easy. Legend has it that TX and NV are the same way. I hear that lead and copper is a delicacy down yaw for them coyote.
Best way to stop a coyote in TX is to yell, "Sit!".

[ December 21, 2007, 05:01 AM: Message edited by: smithers ]

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2007 08:34 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's a known fact that you can call AZ coyotes with squeeky brakes.......

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

skoal
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1492

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2007 08:59 AM      Profile for skoal           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you can Leonard but the old drum brakes are far superior to the newer disc's. better range of sounds
Posts: 251 | From: desert s.w. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2007 09:25 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that and the door slam.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2007 09:37 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Az. coyotes are remarkably easy to call. I've never called one with squeaky brakes, but I have called them in with rubber duckies, cafe curtain rods, rubber balloons, silent dog whistles and doggie squeak toys. I've never been able to call one with a Cronk Killer Call or had one answer my Cronk Buffalo Horn howler. I was told that Rich Cronk "Sir" blanked on his one trip to Az some years ago.

I would like to invite "Sir" Cronk to Az. to redeem himself with our push-over coyotes.
If I videoed RC giving our coyotes one of his seminars would any of you guys be interested in watching it?

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2007 09:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yeah? Could sell tickets, even. What's with the "sir" stuff? Just showing respect for your elders?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2007 10:52 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
zang zadam... it's getting a bit chilly in here.

Some people have trouble tootin' on them open reeded whistles. You guys quack me up.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2007 11:41 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr Cronk also uses glass packs, in certain situations.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2007 02:32 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
Glass packs work well on beaver, but not so good on coyotes. Did you realize that in order to call a predator with a Cronk call, it is necessary to take it out and actually try it? Next time you speak with uncle Jay, ask him how well the coyotes around Wilcox respond to the sound of a Cronk howler. I think you will find his answer to be interesting. [Wink]

--------------------

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2007 02:41 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
The Killer Call has proven it's worthiness 'round here. Much fun to use.
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2007 04:11 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
??? Where is Uncle Jay these days, anyway.

I have a Cronk Antler Call on a lanyard & once jumped a coyote while walking into my stand. Since the wind was blowing, I can only conclude that the coyote was responding to the sound of the wind blowing thru the call hanging around my neck in a range beyond my hearing. Ergo; Cronk Calls are soooo good that you don't even need to blow them to call coyotes.

The Cronk Antler Call is a larger version of the Melvin Antler Call.

?? Where's Melvin been lately.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7596 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2007 05:42 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I have used the Cronk screamer in Az. and S.D. and it does a very good job of bringing in the coyotes. [Razz]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5093 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2007 08:31 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah,and I hear those Cronk calls work even better when you are using a .17 Remington or .204 Ruger.LOL
Posts: 1629 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2007 08:43 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Hagler vs Leonard, Ali vs Frazier and Cronk vs Higgins.

...I have called them in with rubber duckies, cafe curtain rods, rubber balloons, silent dog whistles and doggie squeak toys.
Cafe curtain rods?

Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2007 09:46 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I wondererd the same thing; What iiiiizz a cafe curtain rod?

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
6mm284
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 04:24 AM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, looks like they are ganging up on you, it will take more than a gang to best you.
Been killing a few here as time permits, seem to be more sign out there than I expected but crunchy snow and ice hamper approach.Have been trying to call some in closer, just amazes me how and why these coyotes here just don't responed well to a call. All together different than those west and southwestern coyotes.In november called 13 in on 13 call stands in southwest.
Was undetected setup at 350 yds the other day on four coyotes here locally. blew some low coaxing tones. All they did was look.Blew a phesant distress as they had been hunting switch grass and got no response. So I just shot the big male and the others diaappeared.

[ December 22, 2007, 04:28 AM: Message edited by: 6mm284 ]

Posts: 198 | From: N46 06 E91 11 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 07:06 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
6mm284,

The coyotes out there in your neck of the woods are real shy in daytime, that's for sure. I'm glad that you are having some luck on those buggers. I think our friend over at Shelby has killed about a dozen of em so far. Spot and stalk mostly.

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 07:21 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"Ali vs Frazier and Cronk vs Higgins."
------------------------------------
Smithers,
That is all in the past for me. I call coyotes whenever I feel well enough to do so. At my age, I will allow no man to tell me when I should leave the poor coyotes alone. The fact that I posted earlier about coyotes circling my caller and refusing to stop was not aimed at anyone at all. Then someone conveniently missed the portion of my post which mentioned the caller being placed CROSS-WIND, where I would be out of the scent cone. This guy then suggests that I was just "banging away" at running coyotes. I actually became fairly good at shooting those running coyotes very dead with only one shot. There are very few people that I won't talk to anymore, those few simply managed to over ride my tolerance level. [Wink]

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 08:16 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
posted December 21, 2007 09:46 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wondererd the same thing; What iiiiizz a cafe curtain rod?

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!!
Loco
they are the small rods that go inside one another and can create noise sometimEs spring loaded (BUT DONT TRY THIS AT HOME RICH IS A LICENSED DECORATOR) [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 10:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You boys need to pay better attention. That's going to be on the test.

Question # 1: What is a "cafe curtain rod" and how is it used, and why greasing it, is a bad idea?

Question # 2: Describe sitting "crosswind" and imagine the face of a clock, if you are at the six o'clock position, what time is it downwind?

*extra credit: what if you are left handed?

Question # 3: What makes the best "cover scent" and why won't it fool a coyote's nose?

Question # 4: What is meant by "surgical placement" in relation to subcalibers and "Hail Mary's"?

Question # 5: Four coyotes are responding. Decision time. You want to run the table but don't know where to start? The closest running coyote, or one that is further out, but stationary?

*extra credit: which caller is best?

You have ten minutes to complete the test! Spelling, punctuation and grammar counts for half your score.

Good luck!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

6mm284
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 01:12 PM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
Good god leonard, Had I known there was going to be a test I would not have come to class.
Posts: 198 | From: N46 06 E91 11 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters