The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » ADC question (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: ADC question
George Ackley
Knows what it's all about
Member # 898

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2011 09:02 PM      Profile for George Ackley   Email George Ackley         Edit/Delete Post 
South New Jersey is the chigger capital of the would!
I spent a lot of time in the woods late summer when they are the worst, so this is what I have learned .

there is a product called Permethrin and if you spray your pants and boots with it a day or so before hunting it works great at keeping them off yea .

but if they get yea , and they got be before. i can say this the time it starts to ich they are gone. so the old story about putting ammonia, nail polish , nail polish remover , and all the stuff you have herd about to kill them is a wast of time .
when they do strike the only real stuff to use is
anti-itch medication, hydrocortisone,
a prescription strength steroid cream

chiggers in North America don't usually carry any diseases, the bites themselves can get infected.
so penicillin could help with that .
for me the only thing I DO is a medroldose pack of prednisone.

ps
LB
if you ever get them on your man sack,
if i was you I would try icy hot or ben gay and i have been told it works better if you apply them both at the same time ,,,,,,,, really,,,,,,it works [Roll Eyes]

[ May 27, 2011, 05:54 AM: Message edited by: George Ackley ]

Posts: 465 | From: PHILA . PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2011 09:59 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice, George. I appreciate your concern about my man sak; that's really nice of you.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2011 05:20 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Permethrin is the chemical most used to deter chiggers and ticks. I use it everywhere from my clothes to inside my horses ears for tick prevention.

The best treatment for me has been to draw the hottest bath you can stand, and add some bleach to it. Soak in that for 20 minutes. Reeves told me that remedy, and it seems to work.

Maintain

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2011 09:52 AM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, hot bath with bleach, my dear old grandma would make all us grandkids do that very thing after a long day of gathering chiggers. It seems to work.

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2011 10:16 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Chiggers? So far as I know, I have never had the pleasure?

But ticks, they scare the shit out of me! I remember when I lived in Minneesota, my dog would get one occasionally, they would swell up like a small grape. Disgusting! We have them out here certain times of the year. I never had one attach to me, knock on wood.

gh/lb

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2011 10:39 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I only got them once , what a nightmare!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2011 03:38 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
When I first started carrying mail, every spring, I'd have a couple days where I'd have a wide swath of chigger bites right around my waist where my belt rode, and from my ankles halfway up my shins. Once you survived the first round, they seemed to go away as if my body developed an immunity to the effects of their saliva. I did try that hot water and bleach and it seemed to work. In these parts, sitting or lying on a lush green lawn is a bad idea.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2011 04:34 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
never seen a chigger. lotsa ticks here though. lymes disease it what worries me. a good friends wife got it and basically f-uped her life. it's nothing to pick 20 a day off the dog. i inspect myself every time i come in from the woods. they love the back of my neck. i once threw many on a passed out buddy sleeping in the bunk next to me that i pulled off my dog. he had shaggy hair and it seemed the right thing to do!! next morning we went to the local cafe and he ordered a helping of mashed potatoes. long story short: he bitched cuz there were lumps in them!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2011 07:55 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Remind me to never pass out around Bear.

--------------------
Jason

32below
Member # 2075

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2011 08:28 PM      Profile for 32below   Email 32below         Edit/Delete Post 
Chiggers and ticks in these parts are few and far between. Now them damned mosquitoes are another thing. They are the size of B-52's and some carry West Nile. Ask me about that sometime.
Posts: 100 | From: SW Kansas | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2011 05:49 AM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Used to get chiggers from time to time calling this time of year, now I spray my clothes with that Bronco fly spray etc. also spray the dogs with it. It really keeps chiggers, ticks, fleas, flies etc. off. Pant legs tucked in your boots keep them from biting around the sock line.

I tried the hot bath bleach, but went to a Q tip with bleach on it when I come out of the shower or bath, I dip the Q tip in a little bottle of bleach I keep in the cabinet and put it on the red spots. They get a hard head on them after the bleach and it sure seems to get rid of them much faster than anything else I have tried.

I've had out of state friends who layed prone shootin prairie dogs all day and be covered with them.

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
nd coyote killer
HUNTMASTER PRO STAFF
Member # 40

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2011 11:06 PM      Profile for nd coyote killer           Edit/Delete Post 
between the stories of bearhunter turning turrets on a "good friend" and the throwing ticks i believe your never ending invation has been revoked bearhunter!!!!! You're a dirty asshole!

--------------------
"Sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim" - Bear Claw

Posts: 385 | From: On a hill | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2011 12:31 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
i am indeed [Big Grin] i have one planned for you [Razz]
now if gas would get reasonable,i'd come out and visit ya [Big Grin]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2011 02:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just offering an opinion.

To throw TICKS at a "friend"; hey, those are extremely very nasty critters and it would surely take a PRICK to do such a thing.

I would uninvite you too! God, the thought of those lumpy mashed potatoes makes me ill!

You are in need of a new custom title, Amigo.

Suggestions? Anybody?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2011 04:33 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Sheeesh!!! This guy is hard core mean, you guys labeled me as mean cuz I called t-bag a few names.....I NEVER threw ticks at him and then laughed when he ate them!!!

--------------------
Jason

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2011 05:34 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Southern MO/ Northern AR, clearing brush one summer, I got ate up with chiggers and ticks. Seemed we tried Campho-Phenique to help relieve the hell they cause.

Any Private area, belt line, armpits, or other hot spots are where they tend to go.

LB, you mentioned "crabs"? Funny story...

Years ago, let's say a friend of mine and his girlfriend were literally rolling in the hay so to speak one evening. They started itching really bad later the next day, and being scared teenagers and all, went to the free clinic 'cause they thought, one gave the other crabs. Anyways they got covered in seed ticks, not crabs. Still pretty uncomfortable.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2011 09:08 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Went out this morning for a look around. First place that lost the foal, had horses all over, made one stand with nothing showing.

Went to the next place the guys been seeing coyotes and told me to get back after em. Found what I think are dens, made a couple of stands in the 40 mph wind and called it quits.

Been picking ticks off me for the last hour. That DEET spray I used might have stopped them from biting me but they are crawling everywhere, screw this.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 14 posted May 30, 2011 01:27 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Find some of this...

http://www.sawyer.com/faqpermethrin.htm

It works like nothing I've ever tried! It's amazing stuff and doesn't smell bad or make your clothes oily.

Once it dries it's good for several weeks or even months.

Nikonut

[ May 30, 2011, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Nikonut ]

IP: Logged
the bearhunter
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2011 03:51 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Niko. i've heard it works great. i hav'nt tried it yet but plan on getting some soon. ticks are diminishing here now but the mosquitoes came out in full force yesterday.
yeah Leonard, i was kinda a dink back than. that was about 15 years ago.. was funny at the time!!.as for the "turret turning", had a hunting bud that was super competitive. would whine like a little girl if some one shot more game than him. one day he got out of the truck and had his rifle in the front seat. while he was gone i spinned his scope screws [Big Grin] he missed an easy fox later. got pissed and had to stop to re-site in. so i got in the habit of doing it whenever i had the chance. he never did catch on. would flat out scream that his gun/scope was a P.O.S. have never done it to anyone else. i'm a nice guy now and have toned it down a bit [Wink]

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2011 05:44 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Just went and looked I got Sawyer 30% DEET, it sort of worked I guess as I didn't have a single bite but man they were crawling all over me.

I'll try the other stuff too.

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2011 02:16 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Chiggers, deer ticks, mites and the like, never had a problem. I did get poison ivy 6 different times one summer working with my uncle doing landscaping. Poison ivy on the balls is nothing to wish on an enemy.

Spelling!!

[ May 31, 2011, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: smithers ]

fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2011 04:03 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
100% "DEET" is good to keep insects from biting, but it's oily and will destroy/melt some plastics and paint coatings.

The Permethrin really keeps them off you to begin with... combined they do wonders and I've never had deer or coyotes seem to notice or locate any smell. I got my "Sawyer's clothing spray" at Cabela's.

Both are in my hunting bag every time I go out. At least until winter gets here!

It's reported that Permethrin is bad for cats... here kitty, kitty... meow! [Big Grin]

Edit:a cup of chlorine bleach in a bath works great on poison oak and ivy by neutralizing the alkaloids they produce. Some folks are allergic to heavy concentrations of bleach so use with caution!

Nikonut

[ May 31, 2011, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Nikonut ]

nd coyote killer
HUNTMASTER PRO STAFF
Member # 40

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2011 12:54 AM      Profile for nd coyote killer           Edit/Delete Post 
BNB Planned for me huh? Don't worry what goes around comes around LOLOLOL!!!!!!

--------------------
"Sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim" - Bear Claw

Posts: 385 | From: On a hill | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2011 04:58 AM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Chiggers is just part of life growing up in OK.
I seem to remember something about using dabs of nail polish on the itchy sores.

As far as poison ivy, 4 weeks ago I was sitting next to a fence watching a two-track that was corned for hogs when I hear my partner half whisper..."Jay. Are you allergic to poison ivy"?
I replied "I don't think so". Partner said "Well, you're sittin' in it".
I performed a two-cheek two-step I've never done before. Just thinking about it made me itch and I couldn't sit still waiting for hogs to show.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2011 05:38 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Ya Jay, the nail polish worked but hair spray worked good too and was easier to apply. Of course you didn't get the polkadotted affect but you can't have everything in life.

As a kid and I guess even as an adult (as I sit here scratching), I just always seemed to have chiggers throughout the summer.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters