The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » What would you do? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What would you do?
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 01:11 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry about me Tom, I don't look to kill or even sting any birds of prey. ( It is possible to teach them to avoid my house, and that is always my first choice ) But I don't think the laws reguarding rapters is set up fairly. Why should it be legal for me to kill a fox, coyote, bobcat or even the neighbors dog if caught in the act, But not some damned bird?

If you stop by the house some time, I'd like to show you a dirt mound 323 yards west of the house. It might change your mind on what can fly off with a chicken. Over the years, I've caught Great Horned Owls, Red Tails and White tails red handed with a fresh killed chicken. I know that they aren't supposed to be able to lift off with a chicken, But I can't see any other way for them to get them to the top of the tree, or to the top of that dirt mound with out flying them there.

One of the more annoying side effects of raptor predation is that they generally only go after the hens. Several years ago, they really got into my chickens hard one summer. I ended up with 13 roosters and only 5-6 hens. The hens didn't like all of the attention, so they'd run off and hide from the roosters all day.

Did you know that if thirteen roosters can't find a hen, they all turn queer and spend the day running their buddies down and gang raping each other?

What you you rather see? An occasional dead hawk, or a bunch of gay roosters?

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Knows what it's all about
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 02:18 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Some hawks and owls are claimed to be capable of carrying their own weight. That's true, sort of. Many will fly/drag heavy prey along the ground to a spot where they feel secure enough to feed on it. Other times a smaller hawk will find the remnants of a larger raptors kill and take it up in a tree to finish it off. Someone seeing this might assume the smaller bird made the original kill, when in fact was just scavenging the leftovers.

What is the average live weight of the hens being taken?

BTW, a hawk or owl only needs to be spurred or wing slapped once to learn to leave roosters alone, lol. [Big Grin] Just be glad you don't live in the northern states where they have Goshawks. These guys know how to take roosters!

[ June 19, 2006, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: NASA ]

Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 02:19 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
"Did you know that if thirteen roosters can't find a hen, they all turn queer and spend the day running their buddies down and gang raping each other?"

Mallards do the same thing, Tim. That's a tough one to explain to the kids when they get to feed the ducks at grandma's house and all the green heads are agressively mounting each other up.

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 02:27 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
So let us pretend that I take my friend Nathan Allen Smithsonian Astrogramma (NASA for short) along with me on a coyote hunt. I carry a shotgun because the cover is pretty thick in that area. About four minutes into our third stand, I see a diamondback rattler coiled up behind my buddy, and it is about to strike. I blow off Mr. Rattlers head with a load of BB's, but a couple of flyers from that pattern of BB's strikes old NASA in the arse. Do you think he should report me to the local authorities, make me walk home, tell me thanks for saving him from the snake bite or what? Just curious.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 02:33 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, no I never had any queer roosters. Most of my roosters were fighting cocks and penned seperately. I kept 6-8 for "recreation". Any gang-banging was usually terminal.

I never had more than about 30 chickens total at any one time. Most of mine were for meat/eggs. I had New Hampshires, Plymouth Rocks, Wyandottes, and of course, Rhode Islands.

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 02:36 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, how big was that diamondback? [Big Grin]
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 03:14 PM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, snakes are a protected species in most jurisdictions so under the zero tolerence black and white rule interpretation you'd get to walk home.... that is if NASA didn't shoot first and ask questions later after you shot him in the can. All of that posted completely tongue in cheek.
Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 03:23 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Now you see, some people would be grateful to have a rattler blown out from underneath them. But, I'd want to check him out first before anyone pulled the trigger on him. [Big Grin] Heck, he might be a trophy class buzz-tail. Wouldn't want to mess up a fine reptile like that with a load of BB's, now would ya? [Razz]
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 03:52 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
He was a protected species and I had to make a choice real quick, honest I did. Would I lie to you guys about something this importent?
 -

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 04:01 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,

You can hunt with me and I wouldn't turn you in. But I might buy you a beer after I drove you back to town.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 04:36 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
OMG Rich! [Eek!] I would trade both of my ex-wives for a beauty like that!!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters