The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » question on when to stop em (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: question on when to stop em
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 01:18 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
"Question # 4: What is meant by "surgical placement" in relation to subcalibers and "Hail Mary's"?"

It means the writer has never actually used a subcaliber...

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 02:43 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice try, Dave. Back in the good old days, when you were in grade school. [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

edit: let me rephrase that. I "actually" have killed a fair amount of coyotes with a subcaliber. So, my opinion may not be the same as yours, but it's my opinion, nontheless. Don't get all sensitive on me, it's only a joke.

edit: My experience is limited to two seasons in the early seventies. What year were you born?

[ December 22, 2007, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31467 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 03:23 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Uh...... Early nineteen seventies or early eighteen seventies w/ sub-caliber muzzle loaders??

Sorry Leonard.......That was just to easy to pass up.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 03:40 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
No "sensitive" here Leonard. That was just an inside joke that was maybe "too" inside, I guess?

It does make me smile, when I read about .17's being adequate, only for use by "expert rifleman", capable of "surgical" shot placement. A couple of times, I've asked guys who have written that, if they had ever actually killed a coyote with a .17 and the answers were "no". One of those happened here. That was the inside joke.

"What year were you born?"

1964, first week of November, a day or two before or after Tim, I believe.

You never did get back to me with a mailing address?

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 03:41 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
1.. A cafe curtain rod is code speak most frequently heard used in places like Californica by homosexuals...greasing it is a bad idea because you never know which Californicationer will get a twinkle in his eye while on a coyote stand.

2.. Sitting crosswind is accomplished by not sitting upwind or down wind ...if you are at six-o-clock it`s too damn dark to be out calling anyway....if your left handed, turn around fool.

3..it`s hard to fool a coyotes nose with cover scent because they always run away before you can get the covers pulled up over their heads.

4..If you blaspheme against sub-calibers & surgical placement thereof, you`ll have to say 20 hail Marys at next weeks Mass.

5.. Always shoot the easiest coyote first & then blame & mock your calling partner for not being able to clean up behind you......unless your in Texas, that`s different.
The best caller Is the one I use.

Did I pass?

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 07:59 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I've been out three times this week and still have not had to stop anything with a woof, squeak or bullet.

If I am shooting a .300 Remington Ultra Mag, then my bullet has more FPE on impact than your bullet has FPS at the muzzle.
"Sub-caliber" is in the eye of the beholder. As is overkill.

Mr. Cronk, I understand completely the intention of your original post and your stance on hunting them whenever you can and however you feel necessary.

[ December 22, 2007, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: smithers ]

IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2007 02:58 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Rich, Merry Christmas.

[Smile] ------------------------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 24, 2007 02:29 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
http://ecards.myfuncards.com/myfuncards/Everyday/GoodBye/10264/3957.jhtml

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 24, 2007 05:04 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh geesh, that was funny. Damn Higgins! You sure know how to kill a party.

I finally figured out how Higgins stops mangy old coyotes. He wishes 'em Merry Christmas!!! [Smile]

(Just funnin'.)

[ December 24, 2007, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2007 09:28 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Someone has been hittin' the cowhorn dust again...
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2007 09:02 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Cool!!!
I'm going to wish Hillary and Rosie "Merry Christmas" now. [Smile]

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2007 09:23 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Like Lance I was just funnin' in the previous post. [Smile]
Actually Rich Cnonk and I hunted together this past weekend and became very good friends. I do believe he is a little too affectionate at times, however, we are going to do another hunt next weekend and again on Jan. 12. I will post pics from all of the hunts.

Here is coyote that Cnonk called in with my howler since his don't work in Az. She had advanced mange. That used to be a rarity in Az. but we are beginnng to see it more frequently.
 -

Here Rich is affectionately showing his appreciation that I let him use my Minaska, cuz his "schedule 40" don't workin in Az. either.

-

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2007 09:38 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL's Rich.... [Wink]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5070 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2007 11:34 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no! More Brokeback Buddies!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 07:08 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
Make no mistake sir, it is not his "back" that is broke. He is funny, "um-hmm". Not funny "ha-ha", funny "Queer". Umm-Hmm.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 08:19 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] Rich, tsk, tsk, I had a hard time (no pun) keeping you off of me. I knew if I looked at you the coyotes fate would befall me. Notice that there are no bullet holes in the coyote?

-

-

-

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 08:35 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple observations.

First, if that ain't Rich, I'm a monkey's uncle.

Second, the three finger salute? Entering the Foxpro contest?

Third, does Vic approve of you wearing his Mexican wrestler shoes?

Good hunting. LB

btw, there it is. Proof positive, that Higgins is by far the uglier!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 09:29 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, normally I wouldn't disagree. However, I have to use a firearm to kill these coyotes. Rich called them close with my howler lifted his face net and knocked them flat. Some were damaged more than others. As you can see in the photo this one lost her right eye. [Big Grin]

[ December 26, 2007, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Rich Higgins ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 09:42 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever? I'm declaring the UGLY CONTEST a tie!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Tyler H
Knows what it's all about
Member # 383

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 10:39 AM      Profile for Tyler H           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, the contest would not be legitimate without legitimate contenders, when are you going to post your photo?
Posts: 25 | From: arizona | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 11:16 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here's my graduation pic.

-

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 11:24 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Gawd.....I love this place!!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tyler H
Knows what it's all about
Member # 383

Icon 7 posted December 26, 2007 11:36 AM      Profile for Tyler H           Edit/Delete Post 
And who knew you had peaked. [Big Grin]

[ December 26, 2007, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Tyler H ]

Posts: 25 | From: arizona | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 11:55 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are ridiculous. You Higgins' sure do go the extra mile to make a man feel uncomfortable in his own skin. Congrats, I'm going to shower and scrape a few layers of skin off to get this filth off me.

Your implication that the above coyote was uglied to death is farcical. We know what the "real" implication was. The facts behind this coyotes mysterious and untimely death will finally come out when some CSI Unit is dispatched to the desert and the scene of the crime. Unlawful Carnal Knowledge...

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 02:06 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
My goodness, Grissom. You're taking this very personal aren't you?
To give proper credit, Rich posted years ago that I uglied coyotes to death. He has posted the same about Jay Nistetter and we have posted the same about him. It tickled me no end when Cronk came up with that.
I just take it to a different level.
And finally, Grissom, what is this Freudian carnal fantasy thing that you have going with dead coyotes?
Disturbing. [Confused]

[ December 26, 2007, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Rich Higgins ]

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters