The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » ADC question (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: ADC question
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2011 06:18 AM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Mom always made us wear socks. As soon as we left the house the socks came off. The chiggers would concentrate just above the ankles when wearing socks. The other bad place was at the elastic of the BVDs.

Hair spray was off limits to a gang of boys. That and book matches. What a deadly combination.

One of the things that was second nature to us was to always look down at the porch step before going outside. The porch steps was a favorite place for copperheads to stretch out and catch some rays.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2011 06:47 AM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
The deep bath with a cup of bleach will flat out get rid of ticks, don't know about the chiggers, but it probably would work. For ticks, the bath doesn't have to be all that hot. Just make it deep enough to cover everything but your face, soak for about 20 minutes, and then shower off and you're good to go. Before turkey season, back when I hunted those rascals a lot, I sprayed all my clothes with Coulston's Duranon tick repellent and wore the gator deals to seal the bottom of my pants to the boots. Never had any trouble with ticks or chiggers. It contains "Permethrin" and lasts for about two weeks per spraying. Don't ever put that stuff directly on your skin though.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wily E
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2011 05:19 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
From a foal kill to clap. What a journey!

Back to the foal. It's a rare case where coyotes will attack the foal of a mature mare. Not saying it doesn't happen, just saying it's not the norm. Unlike cattle, the labor involved in the birthing of a foal is a short process and it doesn't take long for a foal to get on it's feet after being born. Cattle are in labor much longer which provides more opportunity for coyotes. Mares are usually extremely protective of their newborn foals.

The best way to determine a still born is that in many cases the hair will be slipping on the foal if you check it right away. If the hair is slipping, you know it was already dead while still inside it's mother.

As far as throat holds causing a lot of bleeding, that's rarely the case. Most coyotes kill by clamping down on the trachea and causing suffocation. Many lambs are killed without much blood being visible on the outside of neck. Cut them open and you can usually find canine punctures and deep hemorrhage into the neck and surrounding the vertabrae. At times you can see how the hemorrhage soaked into the jaw bone long after the incident occurred.

In this foal case, as has already been mentioned, since the foal was still in the sac, it's a pretty sure bet that it was a stillborn. If you wanted to know for sure, you would need to see if the hair was slipping.

Some ADC guys find it easier to tell a rancher what they want to hear rather than finding the evidence that proves what actually happened. Barb wire cuts on horses is a common occurance but it's always more interesting to believe it's a mountain lion. Funny thing is most of these mountain lions must be of the levitating variety, like David Blane, since they didn't leave any tracks.

~SH~

[ June 05, 2011, 05:31 AM: Message edited by: Wily E ]

IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters