The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » What are the odd's (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: What are the odd's
nd coyote killer
HUNTMASTER PRO STAFF
Member # 40

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 06:05 AM      Profile for nd coyote killer           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich to clarify what i consider a "warning bark" from expierence and research is a vocalization tha sounds like a farm dog barking with very little howling involved. Maybe that is a "frustration howl" like is said before as soon as a guy thinks he has the little bastards all figured out they do something that makes you look like you know absouletly NOTHING!!!! [Big Grin]

Some of it is that i'm not very quick to definitvely name a howl or assume i know what it is besides the basics. Like i said i base my decisions in the field on the expression in the howl more so than the cadence

--------------------
"Sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim" - Bear Claw

Posts: 385 | From: On a hill | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 05:19 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe there is something preceding the bark or after the bark that holds significance. A growling type bark, a yapping-growl-howl-bark, a howl-bark mixture.
Seeing as I have very few chances to hear coyotes vocalize individually or in a group I tend to soak them in when I do hear them. It gives me a bit of a rush when I hear a coyote howl.

IP: Logged
nd coyote killer
HUNTMASTER PRO STAFF
Member # 40

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 10:19 PM      Profile for nd coyote killer           Edit/Delete Post 
Smithers i hear them all the time but it still gives me a rush everytime! [Big Grin]

I can see your point but it would have to be loud enough to carry or it would make no point to make the sound. (growling and such)

--------------------
"Sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim" - Bear Claw

Posts: 385 | From: On a hill | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 06:19 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
ND, the growling and barking is only used to notify coyotes nearby. The bark is mainly used as an indicator of distance or as a warning, under most circumstances, especially with fox. Barks are not meant to carry as far as howls and growling is mainly a close quarters warning. If there are 2-3 coyotes and one is barking his head off and the other one, two or more escape, the bark served it's purpose.
IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters