The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Load evaluation (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Load evaluation
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2012 10:50 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
22 x 47 Lapua
This one shoots good enough. 3 shot groups are good enough for me.
 -

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2012 03:13 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
yeah,but 3toes, can you do it ALL DAY LONG??????lol.
nice group.
i can live with a 3/4" @100 rifle but strive for better. however, some days i just seem to shoot better than others??.
used to go nuts on trying to get all rifles to print 3/8" but realized i was spending to much $ and time and un-nessasarily burning up my barrels. 0nce i hit 3/4", i'm confidant that "most" coyotes under 300 are dead.

Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2012 03:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What's that load, Cal? What MV?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2012 03:22 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, that is a 62 grain Berger at 3820 fps. It takes a CCI sr mag primer and 38.0 grains of Norma 203B to get it there.

That rifle is on a Lawton action and McGowan barrel. 1 in 10 twist. On another note, I think they are out of business anyway, but never buy a Lawton action. The scope mount holes were crooked enough that when I mounted a pic rail for the scope mounts there isn't enough windage adjustment in any scope to work. Tried several rails first and the ended up putting a Leupold adjustable mount to get the scope centered. And it's an ill feeding piece of shit, but it does shoot.

[ May 19, 2012, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: 3 Toes ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2012 03:26 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you have a ¾" barrel, switching primers won't make it a one holer.

True. But a different brand or type could round out your groups more, make more consistant and can also do a better job of getting the powder burning so most of its gone before it reaches the end of the barrel, especialy with some of the med- med slow powders...

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2012 03:57 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting, Cal.

quote:
Leonard, that is a 62 grain Berger at 3820 fps. It takes a CCI sr mag primer and 38.0 grains of Norma 203B to get it there.

I'm shooting the same bullet in my 22-243Middlested. But it's 47.7 grains of H4831 Fed 210M @ very close to the same velocity, around 3810fps.

Good hunting. LB

PS Tim, I do not refine my load and then switch primers at the last minute. If I want a Rem9½, I start with a Rem9½ and see where it goes.

edit: I think the best 3shot group I have seen was about .140". I have not really done much serious bench work with this rig, but like bearhunter said, it's good enough.

[ May 19, 2012, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2012 04:14 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
well Leonard,
How's this for a 400.00 rifle?
 -

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2012 04:24 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a closeup of that 400.00 rifle. Built on an old Mexican Mauser action.
 -

--------------------

the bearhunter
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2012 04:24 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich. you save fur??. if so, i think the 85 tsx would be a good fur round in a .257 cal.
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2012 04:33 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Bearhunter,
Are you really from Minnifornia? Nah, you are MUCH to wise for that to be true. Regarding fur, I USED to keep every single one, but not so much anymore. I still search for good bullets that kill without skinning and gutting in the process though. I might just try your Barnes TSX some time soon. If it will shoot tiny groups, it will indeed be a good one.

--------------------

the bearhunter
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2012 05:02 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
yeah Rich,fraid so [Frown]
same state as the great Al Franken and T.A.
I've tried the tsx's in various rifles and have never acieved great accuarcy but have shot some coyotes with them and they perform great. usually exits but small.
for some reason, the 25's seem to shoot the tsx's quite well from those i know that shoot them.

[ May 19, 2012, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: the bearhunter ]

TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2012 06:26 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I should stick with 3 shot groups but just can't...
 -

[ May 19, 2012, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: TOM64 ]

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2012 06:36 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, in a lot of situations more than a 3 shotter is required. I shot a tactical shoot here last year and knew the gun for that had to stay good for a long time, many rounds and much heat so I pounded it hard. 10 and 20 shot groups with a hot barrel. But for my coyote rifles, I treat them like a sore thumb and baby the crap out of them. I am really only interested in the first or second shot from a cold barrel.

--------------------

TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2012 06:57 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I even shoot 5 shot groups with my mountain rifle contoured barrels, I just gotta shoot 5 and keep them all under MOA, usually 1/2 to 3/4 MOA to be happy.

Of course, not counting machine guns all but one of my bolt guns wear factory tubes. The 25-06AI has a 3 groove PacNor but I've yet to shoot it.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2012 07:12 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Since Cal showed us his dime I thought I would show mine as well.. [Wink]

These kind of groups is what I exspect from a custom job along with a good load and then tested a few more times to be sure.. I even went so far as to shoot a 10 shot group with the rest being 5 shot groups...
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/TA17Rem/002-10.jpg[/IMG]]  -

--------------------

JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2012 07:49 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
3 shots .413 .17 Rem AR factory ammo Tell me again why I need to develop a load.
 -

[ May 19, 2012, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: JD ]

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2012 07:52 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
See what you started, Cal?

I said something about a group I shot last summer. I was putting the finishing touches on my 22-250AI and was shooting 200 yards. Usually when I get a good one going I manage to screw it up, but didn't crumble under the pressure this time. Packed up my shit and went home without firing another shot and have no desire to shoot anymore paper with that rifle.

-

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2012 09:02 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, good shootin one and all!

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2012 08:17 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Question;
How much (if any) would you guys expect those groups to open up out in the real world of shooting sticks, elbows to knees, or off of truck hoods and still be happy????

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2012 08:22 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
KOKO,
The groups that I have posted were shot while draped over hood of my truck. Does this info help?

--------------------

Bofire
READ MY LIPS!
Member # 221

Icon 10 posted May 20, 2012 09:25 AM      Profile for Bofire   Author's Homepage   Email Bofire         Edit/Delete Post 
I have shot a few good groups, won a few contests, rarely miss a coyote, but I do not know if that is because I am careful to make a shot and would rather let an animal go then take a risky shot.
That said; I HATE SHOOTING PAPER TARGETS and hate reloading. I would never try to shoot a coyote or anything else at 400 yards "between the eyes". I'll take the chest/shouldders.
Carl

Posts: 322 | From: Wild West | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2012 09:30 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Is precise equipment of no benefit in field use? Is there no disadvantage to equipment lacking precision in field use?

Is it useful to remove as much potential for error as possible from every possible source for field use? Is allowing equipment error where it need not exist of any concern for field use?

I don't think everyone can answer these questions exactly the same for all conditions. I know in which direction my answers are going to consistently be though.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2012 10:47 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Koko the only time I shoot groups is for load work up and to find the best load combo, along with a little testing at longer ranges to see what the load is going to do..
Once thats done then all I worry about is the first shot and putting it where it needs to go..
Usually when hunting or calling I use some type of shooting aid weither it be shooting sticks or bi-pods and will at times have both along. I also rely on a position that puts me flat on the ground or sitting on the ground so I can also use my knees for support..
Any shooting done with out stick or bipods will also be done in the sitting or kneeling on one knee position. some areas I hunt I can't use the ground for support so I will take a standing shot but will use the sling for added support or rest the rifle up along side a fence post or power pole...( barricade position)

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2012 11:14 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would never try to shoot a coyote or anything else at 400 yards "between the eyes". I'll take the chest/shouldders.
Carl

Well, Carl. That's what makes the world go 'round. Everybody, like Clint said; "needs to know his limitations." Besides, many times shooting eyes, I am more than happy if my shot drops down into the chest as that allows a little leeway in range calculations.

I know some guys that won't attempt a running shot, and they will never figure it out, if failure is a huge obstacle, too big to risk it.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2012 12:33 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I learned long ago that most folks don't realize that when we shoot a "group", we are trying to learn what that particular load is capable of, NOT what we as a hunter can do in the field. I have shown tight groups to a few people and often get "it's shooting a bit to the left ain't it?" I just smile and shake my head. [Mad]

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters