The New Huntmastersbbs!
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Stopping Power of the .223 on Coyotes (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Stopping Power of the .223 on Coyotes
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2016 06:34 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was scratching my head, looking for my comment, never did find it!

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31583 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2016 11:53 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I killed 2 more this morning with the 16" machine gun in 223 and they're still dead.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2016 02:37 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to mention, I shot the first one and caused a 5.6 earthquake. Pretty scary.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2016 04:17 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I'm convinced. Where can I get one?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2016 06:33 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
You'd have to move
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2016 04:54 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I have Geissele triggers installed on all my AR's.

I have the G2S Enhanced on my R-15. This model is only available from Brownells. I could have spent the extra money and gotten the SSA-E, but college expenses get in the way sometimes.

The other guns have standard G2S and SSA triggers installed.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2016 05:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
How many, what's the right amount, (number) of machine guns for the average aficionado? That, kind of jumped out at me: "all my AR's.

I guess you'd want a right hand and a left hand, maybe one slung over your right shoulder and a backup strapped to your ankle?

Oh, I forgot, you need a 300 Whisper, and some type of 6.5, a 243 and several different 5.56 barrels with twists ranging from 8" to 3 1/2".

That doesn't leave much room in the AR safe, does it?

My Colt doesn't even have forward assist, but it is by far the longest resident "safe queen" in my arsenal. At least, I think it's still there, way in the back? I'd be stacking legitimate rifles along the wall, digging it out if we ever have that predicted race riot. Until then, I see no need for more than one?

Boys and their toys.... Yeah, me too.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2016 06:58 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
I am envious of that Colt SP-1 you have, Leonard.

Totally illegal in NJ. But if I ever move to a free state I might make you an offer for it.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2016 09:16 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have mentioned before, this Colt doesn't get shot much, and that's an understatement, but I never once had a failure to chamber a round, and this rifle has never seen a factory cartridge. Just lucky, I guess? I mean, by ME. I bought it used for $450. Long time ago.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2016 09:49 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
LB, everyone should have a couple AR's, and of course several uppers. For some reason I like the little 6x45 so I have an upper for that, as well a 6mm-6.8 if I need more kill'm dead DRT power. Actually I got the 6x6.8 for our little whitetails and maybe some feral pigs.
The 20 Practical with an 18" barrel is a hoot, and has gotten used more often. Good god I can't wait to get my suppressor now and shoot some critters. I only use 5 rd magazines, so I hope that isn't totally out of line with the spray and pray stereotype. Oh yea, I still have the 17 Rem AR also.

Get with the program. I am sort of surprised the the CA LEO's haven't confiscated your AR.

[ September 04, 2016, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2016 10:33 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Nick, I have G2S's in all of mine too, I really like them.

ElBee, one more is the appropriate number.

I have had an AR-10 in 308 but now, nothing but 5.56 chambers for me and 16" barrels. I'll leave all the other caliber for my cousin. He's had 223 WSSM, 223AI, 25WSSM, 22DTI, 17 Rem, 204 and maybe a couple of others all with barrels 20-26" and I just keep on killing shit right along side of him. In fact he has a 17 Rem for cats and all his others now are 223AI.

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2016 11:15 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Never have felt a need or want for that matter for the machine guns. Guess I just like a good ol bolt action. Have plenty of those, just never bought a AR style rifle.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1650 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2016 12:50 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, LB doesn't like 223's or machine guns, such a hater. Cal says a 204 is a good cartridge. Several others like 22-250's and AI's and 243's seem to work well. Vic likes his 17 MkIV.

So if a new coyote hunter joined this site and asked what would be the perfect factory rifle/ cartridge for coyotes, what would the consensus be?

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2016 01:01 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say the .22-250 Remington......

[ September 04, 2016, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2016 02:41 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is gonna come as a shock but I would say a good bolt action with a 3-10x variable scope in 22-250.

I took a buddy of mine to the range this summer, he's been wanting an AR with a red dot. I brought a few with different optics, an Aimpoint T2, a Leupold VX6 1-6 and one with a 3.5-10 and just for fun I grabbed a Montana with a 3.5-10 in 223AI. Set up a 7" plate at 200 yards and let him cut loose. By the end of the day, the Montana bolt gun with a conventional scope was his favorite. His words "You just can't miss with this thing!"

DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2016 04:17 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeh, I would also say 22-250. Especially for a beginner. IMO the 17's and 20 cals are not for beginners, Shot placement, etc....

I am lucky I guess as I still shoot mostly unsupported. But I have started carry shooting sticks to some stands. I sometimes forget to take them. Brent got me shooting a little in the prone position at a couple of places he took me.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2016 04:55 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
A 22-250 is almost a no brainer, for anybody, beginner or experienced. I don't know where that puts a 223, maybe in the same category as a .410, suitable for experts or children? And, nobody in between. I think of it this way, is there something better?

There is almost always something better than a 223. Besides, it's so ordinary. I think of it as I have always regarded the 30'06, and why I have never owned one. We all know about the magic in a name, it's just there. Which is why "270" conjures up so much, hardly anything more needs saying.

I can't see people falling all over themselves, waxing long and eloquent, extolling the virtues of the legendary 223 cartridge. Even the ordinary 30'06 Springfield carries more "cachet" than a piddling 223. Yes, I'm guilty, I am a velocity freak. Is anybody going to *** in their shorts over 223 or 30'06 velocities? <shrug> Hardly.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2016 06:01 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
And yet, when the right tool for the job is chosen, .22lr, .223, 30-30 & 30-06 will all just keep plodding along getting the job done.
Decade after decade after decade.
'Nuff said.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7650 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2016 06:19 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Hell KoKo of the 4 you just mentioned i think the .223 is the only one i have shot in the last say 30 years. And its probably been 20 years since I shot a .223...... Just to many better choices out there to shoot.....

Good Hunting Chad

DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2016 08:46 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
"Brent will like this"

270's are boring...

Another forum actually calls them GAY. (it's an ongoing joke there) I still have an older Sako L61R in 270, but I never use it. Have several -06's. Don't use them either. Mostly use a CZ 6.5x55 for MO big game, Whitetail. Ordered a Howa in 6.5 Creedmore. Whittakers has them on sale for $329 if anyone is interested. There Howa minis are on sale too.

--------------------

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2016 08:49 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Of course there's something better out there, my 22-250AI is my giant killer when loaded right, long range lazer when I need it and as it's been pointed out in the past, kills just as good up close.

But I'm a caller and even those coyotes way out there are closing the distance to where even the boring 223 can get the job done like it did again this morning...

[ September 05, 2016, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: TOM64 ]

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2016 09:54 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Bear with me UT;
Hell, I shoot a recurve bow that's probably older than some of the guys here.

[Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7650 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2016 09:59 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I love my .22-250AI ....... But I could be damn near as happy if I had just a plain ol Remington 700 in the standard .22-250.......
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2016 10:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That was the loaner I used, last time I went to Canada. I think it was a white painted Tikka?

Normally, a 22-250 is a little on the light side, night hunting. The Ackley Improved version makes quite a difference.

Maybe I'm weird, but I think a 30'06 makes for a waste of good barrel steel. If a 270 is Gay, paint me pink and call me faggot.

However, the truth is, after many years of rather stupid chambering by Remington, (including 7mm Express) the 280Ackley is one bad ass cartridge. If I needed something like a 270, I'd fudge a little bit and get the 280AI.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2016 12:24 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I completely agree Leonard. Ballistics are pretty damn close to a 7mm Mag. If I were ever to rebarrel the ol .270 it would probably be a 280AI.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters