The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Cat forum   » Cat Stretching (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cat Stretching
furhvstr
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 02:56 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
I would if I had a digital camera, knew how to use it, knew how to upload to computer and post.
I am probaly gonna purchase my first electronic caller this year. I need to catch up with the rest of the world I guess.

Posts: 144 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
JeremyKS
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 03:55 PM      Profile for JeremyKS   Author's Homepage   Email JeremyKS         Edit/Delete Post 
Can anybody offer some advice on a good newbie fur handling video? Ive never put up fur just sold frozen coyotes so I kind of have the itch to put some fur up. Thanks
Posts: 369 | From: Texas panhandle | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 08:39 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy,

Blaine Eddy has an excellent and very detailed video on how to skin and put up a coyote. It's called Hunting and Skinning for Profit, I think?

Another with some great bobcat fur prep techniques is Steve Wood's BobCATching.

The Two Minute Coyote is another I've heard a lot of good things about but haven't seen yet.

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2007 05:32 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad just posted the two videos that I was going to suggest. Both are excellent!

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rusty Holt
Member # 350

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2007 07:44 AM      Profile for Rusty Holt           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree HappyPlumbers boards are the best. I'd get both adjustable and solid. When you get them, you'll say to yourself, "Why doesn't he charge more?" They are THAT good. [Eek!] The solid boards are great for pinning bullet holes shut. I plan on buying more solid cat and fox boards.
 -

Take care and God Bless,

Rusty

[ August 31, 2007, 06:00 AM: Message edited by: Rusty Holt ]

Posts: 14 | From: Midland, Texas | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2007 11:20 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that, Rusty. Damn! Those are some fine looking boards! Do they warp, at all?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2007 11:42 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

HP says his boards don't warp. He's given a lot of advice on the internet on drying the wood so it doesn't warp, and has good water absorption.

He slowly air dries his wood, so that is is very stable.
Kiln dried lumber is stable, but it seals the cellulose chambers that make up the wood, slowing the rate of drying.

Thanks for the photo Rusty.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rusty Holt
Member # 350

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2007 05:55 AM      Profile for Rusty Holt           Edit/Delete Post 
No problem, guys. Trust me...these boards look better in person than they do in the pic. Superior workmanship.

Take care and God Bless,

Rusty

Alaskan Yoter
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2007 06:20 AM      Profile for Alaskan Yoter           Edit/Delete Post 
Where does one acquire these HP Boards?
Posts: 235 | From: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2007 07:14 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I just did a search on Coyotes R Us, and he's listed as a member, but no links and his email is hidden. Probably somebody here who has delt with him knows how to contact? If nobody does, I can send him a PM over there.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2007 08:47 AM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
I just PMed him last year when I wanted some stretchers built. There were a few questions he had, and we and a few PMs sent back and forth, but that's all it took and he was on top of it everytime.

I never could find an email notification for PMs over there.

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2007 09:46 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Rusty, you don't sew your holes shut?
I have dealt with Jerry Mueller (happy plumber) and only have his adress. I sent him a message on Coyotes r us and am awaiting a reply.

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2007 09:49 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
The best type of wood to use for stretchers is Basswood, very spendy and dose'nt warp. I use wire stretchers, solid boards, and adjustables. Two of the fur buyers i deal with use wire for coyotes and cats.
Which one you use is up to you and it don't really matter. What really matters is how the fur is put on the boards or wire.
Is the fur clean? Is it prime? Where the bullet holes sewed up or left open? Is the fur centered on the stretcher? Was all the fat removed and hide dried throughly?
I stretch most animals i get except coon, they have alot of fat on them and if you don't do a good job fleshing them they can spoil. My fur buyer even asks me to just bring them in skinned.
If you don't have the room or time to stretch the fur atleast skin them and toss in a freezer..

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2007 06:21 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
My two cents on stretchers based on selling cats the last fifteen years or so at the Nv. sale which puts together the top buyers in the west is that a properly handled wood - stretched cat fetches 10 - 20 % more every time. I have stretched them both ways and will never go back to wire for cats.

Happy Plumber, jerrym42@verizon.net

Alaskan Yoter
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2007 08:20 PM      Profile for Alaskan Yoter           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Fur, I appreciate it.
Posts: 235 | From: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
sparkyibewlocal440
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2007 06:47 PM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
I contacted him by PM about three weeks ago.He said he was'nt taking any more orders till the season starts.
Posts: 170 | From: So. Cal | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rusty Holt
Member # 350

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2007 09:32 AM      Profile for Rusty Holt           Edit/Delete Post 
Did I say I pinned holes??? [Big Grin] [Wink]

Yes, very effective on those shotgunned pelts. I've had a furbuyer tell me it wasn't an issue. I wouldn't do it on big holes, though.

Take care and God Bless,

Rusty

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters