The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Hearing protection ? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hearing protection ?
sporterweight
Knows what it's all about
Member # 189

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2007 08:51 PM      Profile for sporterweight   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Do any of you guys use electronic muffs while calling ?

After shooting my 25-06 seven times sunday i have a mild ringing in my ears.
I always use hearing protection when shooting but tuff it out when calling due to using my ears for incoming critters.-Mike

--------------------
You got space invaders ?-No
You got pac-man ?-No
You got asteroids ?-No -but dad does -can hardly sit on the toilet somedays.

Posts: 91 | From: Meridian ,Idaho | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2007 09:43 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried calling with mine, but didn't like it, the calls were amplified to the point of annoyance.

When practicing, I rarely shoot with out them.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2007 10:51 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
Every single shot fired takes away permanently part of your hearing. Even a 22LR robs you of a bit of hearing every shot.

50 years ago we could plead ignorance. Not now. You shoot without good protection, you loose hearing. Period.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2007 07:54 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Your right Jack, I've lost 70% of my hearing. Most of that was from firearms when I was younger, I'm not alone either.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2007 09:14 AM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I have electronic ear muffs that are worn by the cameraman at all times. They work very well; and prevent a lot of flinching much less hearing loss.

My last test showed 80% hearing loss in my right ear. My eardrum was ruptured when i was about 13 years old. A 12 gauge Browning A5 was fired three times with the muzzle appoximately 4' directly to my right.

Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2007 04:44 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I started wearing my muffs two seasons ago, and although I'd prefer not to wear them, I've convinced myself that I can't afford not to. The ringing is so bad already that I can hear it at all times, and I much prefer to sleep with a fan running at night, just so the ringing doesn't drive me in sane.
I fired my 17 hmr at a prairie dog yesterday without my muffs on, and even that little report seemed to "sting" my ears.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2007 05:44 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
AZHunter came over for my boy's Graduation Party last Saturday night. When he left, the first thing my Sister in law asked me was "Did you ever notice that if you asked Vic a question, he doesn't hear you unless he is looking at you?"

I just explained that years of competitive shooting, and lots of back ground noise were the culprit. I had been having the same problem, people would ask me something, and I could tell by their tone that they had asked me before, and I hadn't answered them. Oops sorry, but it's hard to answer a question that you never heard asked.

Back ground noise really screws me up, everything just kind of melts together, and I miss a lot of questions if you don't first get my attention.

Wear the shooting muffs, a little aggravation on a stand is much better than the constant aggravation that you will feel for the rest of your life!

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2007 06:04 PM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the same way Tim. My worst problem is direction... I spin a leftward circle everytime.

Answer me this; those of you who have hearing damage.

Do you ever get tired of hearing MOST of what someone said, but still having to ask for clarification? It's worse than being clueless anyone is talking at all!!

It's so frustrating for me that I have started ignoring the entire phrase... it seems simpler that way and they are more direct with their next statement.

It's hard not to flinch when someone says "Jason, I saw blah blah other day and he said blah blah". The bottom line is, I could say "Who said what?" or just give a blank stare. I'm perfecting this blank stare and most folks in town are starting to get my attention before speaking. If you guys start typing blah blah occasionally I'll flip.

Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2007 06:10 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Jason,

I'm the same blah blah way. If I have much blah blah back ground noise, I blah blah miss it unless I am looking blah blah directly at you blah blah.

What blah blah aggravates me, is that I have to take blah blah a hearing test every two blah blah years for DOT. They still blah blah list my hearing as excelent, with only blah blah minimal loss associated with age blah blah.

Edit:

It's not just my hearing, I made that post and then caught myself trying to click to the next page with my cell phone on the mouse pad. Couldn't figure out why the damn thing didn't work for a while.

I only hope I didn't dial up a Whore house in China on the company cell phone!

blah blah, blah blah, Blah!

[ May 29, 2007, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Tim Behle ]

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2007 07:56 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Tim;

I wouldn't put much faith in those company hearing tests. We get tested yearly and one time I sort of misunderstood the instructions. I didn't push the clicker button until each tone was actually hurting my ear. My results were 'indications of some hearing loss but within normal blah blah.'

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2007 07:57 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, do offer her my apologies would you. I know my hearing is tits up, and really should make the leap and get some shrimp hung behind my ears,and really don't have a good excuse?
Pride, vanity, and not monied like our host Leonard:)
So often, my wife will elbow me, and tell me so-n-so just asked you a question and you just ignored him/her...all I can say is, I didn't hear a gawd damned thing?
At any rate, sure had a nice time Tim, your a gracious host, along with your lovely bride, Joyce is a keeper buddy, a lovely and engaging woman for sure. Thanks for inviting me.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2007 08:48 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
We all know that loud noise can cause hearing loss. I lost a lot of my ability to hear high pitched sounds. This happened from working around loud chipping hammers and such back in the 60's. My ears ring constantly. My question is this--I have known a heck of a lot of nearly deaf men who never fired a gun, nor ever worked around really loud machinery. They went deaf anyway. My hearing is still almost as good at age 66+ as it was when I was 30. My feeling is that deafness is caused by genetics just as often as it is caused by loud noise. Maybe even more so.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 03:33 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich;

Genetics will certainly play a part in hearing loss, as will volume, tone, length of exposure, age, disease, and luck of the draw.

My understanding of the most common type of hearing loss is that deep in the inner ear are hair-like nerve cells (think uncut blades of grass on your lawn) that respond to vibration / noise. (Think gentle breeze waving the grass). Excessive noise will flatten these cells down (think driving a truck across the lawn). Like the grass on your lawn, most but not all of the cells will spring back up. Prolonged abuse will do permanate damage (think wearing a path in your lawn). Bottom line; once it's gone....... it ain't coming back.

The foam ear plugs are cheap and do a reasonable job of protection. I keep a couple of pair in my truck just for impromptu shooting sessions or cowboy bars where the band substitutes volume for talent.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 07:30 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
My hearing is long gone. Have had the ringing 24/7/365 for about 15 years already, and I'm only 42. Gave up idle chit-chat in situations with background noise many years ago. Fits my style anyway - I'm not a social person and prefer not having to speak. My Wife is used to it, my hearing was already shot when we started dating.

I'm not half bad at reading lips.

The thing that bugs me is soft talkers that can't speak up. When I tell someone that I'm really hard of hearing and can't hear what they are saying, and they continue trying to talk to me in a barely audible whisper, it bugs the crap out of me. If it's a situation that demands decorum, I make the best of it. But more often, I just turn around and walk away or ignore the soft talkers. My Wife says that is really rude, and maybe she's right, but the dumb-asses need to learn how to speak up, far as I'm concerned...

Have tried muffs on stand. Just couldn't abide them. So screw it...

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
sporterweight
Member # 189

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 01:45 PM      Profile for sporterweight   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think i could wear the muffs probably too hot and cumbersome.
The walker game ears -look- do-able but i just hate buying things then not liking them.
I know what you guys mean about low talkers -a group of us use to eat breakfast together every morning.A friend/low talker would sit and basically mumble to me and w/the back ground noise i rarely heard a word he said.I told him several times i was hard of hearing and he still talked way low for me.I made sure NOT to sit by him.
 -
Here's a picture of a coyote i shot sunday.
Shot two more that i saw leaving the seen after a forty minute stand.
I used a locator howl and joined in w/ some handcall howls then went to distressed pup also some fawn distress thrown in.
This is the third coyote of the day -jumped up when i was walking my caller to a rock outcropping.I barked at him a few times got him to stop a shot him a 80yds.Shot entered his right side neck and exited oddly as you can see.
Rancher said the coyotes had been eating his livestock for three years.Very little sign of any animals other than coyotes.-Mike

--------------------
You got pac-man ?-No

sporterweight
Member # 189

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 01:54 PM      Profile for sporterweight   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the entry side -I think he was close to 40lbs.Lower neck front of shoulder red spot is the entry.  -

Shot two others a never found either one of them---w/a 25-06.I know -i should be ashame.
One shot 365yds lasered -but no prize.-Mike

[ May 30, 2007, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: sporterweight ]

--------------------
You got pac-man ?-No

newbomb
Member # 888

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 02:52 PM      Profile for newbomb   Email newbomb         Edit/Delete Post 
I can vouch for Jason that he is damned hard hearing. On a stand last fall I told him we had one coming in and after he said "HUH?" about 5 times and I politley repeated he finaly speaks up and says "WHAT?" way to freakin loud and scares the coyote off. He said he forgot to sit to my right side so his good ear was facing me. Next time I'll just shoot and not tell him!
Posts: 66 | From: southern indiana | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 07:58 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What has been written is true, those seven shots caused nerve damage and there is no cure. Not just firearms, but any loud noise, aircraft, construction, rock concerts. It adds up.

I do think it seems to get less important, the worse off you are? In other words, you might lose those frequencies damaged by firearm reports; but (only my opinion) I'm so deaf that seven rounds don't matter very much.

Now, the solution. I would NEVER pay $4,000 for digital hearing aids, if my wife had not INSISTED! Geeze, that seems like a lot of money, and after all, I can still hear a little bit, and as has been mentioned, I am a pretty good lip reader.

These hearing aids I have had for a little over three years are programed to amplify those frequencies you need, and not the ones you don't need, which makes them custom designed for each idividual. An example, I used to play my radio in the truck at a volume of 19-20 and now, I can hear everything a lot better , at a volume of 14. Same with the TV. Instead of Nancy demanding me to turn the volume down to a comfortable level, FOR HER, and therefore, I can't hear half of what is said, I can listen at about half volume (comprehend all of it) and she could tolerate it.

But, the nice thing is that I can hunt with these things and hear much better than without them, and they filter all sound above 80 decibels, and supposedly, cause no further damage, because most high velocity rifle discharges are above 150 decibels, and it's based on proximity to the source.

What I thought was very funny was after Club meetings, late, we would gather in the parking lot and bs about guns and hunting stuff....and our conversation could be heard three blocks away. Bunch of deaf old farts.

I wear them every day, they work.

Good hunting. LB

[ May 30, 2007, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jbmartin
Member # 651

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 08:28 PM      Profile for jbmartin   Email jbmartin         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't post much, but Leoanard, are the aids you are referring to the ones like trap shooters wear? They look like they would be good, in the ear, custom formed, with suppression. I have very good hearing, but have been said to be one of the "soft spoken" or "mumbling" types. I don't need the amplification part of the aids, but would like to keep the hearing I have. Your thoughts? I do know from sporting clay shooting that the muff types would be way too cumbersome for a hunting situation. I haven't known anyone that had aids like those and would like a first hand opinion on the usefullness of them hunting as far as directional hearing ability and what not.

JB

Posts: 28 | From: Greeley, CO | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 09:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's an understatement! You do not post much.

Actually, I do not know what most people use on sporting clays, especially those with normal hearing? There must be some type of "C.I.C." completely in canal device that doesn't cost so much, that just acts as protector (filter) and allows you to hear commands, like an action ear? No mushroom, no shrimp behind the ear.

So, are you the technical brains behind 3toes?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

jbmartin
Member # 651

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 09:59 PM      Profile for jbmartin   Email jbmartin         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I did not word my question(s) as to what I exactly wanted to know. Do you wear an in the ear aid in both ears while hunting? If you do, do you feel that they are a hindrance to directional hearing?

As far as 3Toes goes, he was way ahead of me in skool....

JB

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 10:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do you wear an in the ear aid in both ears while hunting? If you do, do you feel that they are a hindrance to directional hearing?

Yes, I wear one in both ears, inside canal, and they do provide direction just like a normal ear, after all; it's the same external ear. Now they are not perfectly comfortable lying on a pillow, but I can wear them all day without discomfort.

So, the answer is, I wear them all day long, but I only put them in after I shower because it's too easy to step in without remembering to remove them, which has happened a couple times. They are not waterproof. But, I wear them in rain, doesn't seem to be a problem?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

jbmartin
Member # 651

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 11:13 PM      Profile for jbmartin   Email jbmartin         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks LB, that answers my questions. I didn't know if volume adjustment would be a problem from left to right and might make the direction from which a sound was coming seem different, but you say that is not the case. I may have to try some.
Anyone have any suggestions on a particular brand that would work for hunting, both calling coyotes and upland birds? Something custom fit for in the ear, somewhat "reasonably" priced with good battery life?
Has anyone ever experienced sub freezing temps with theirs?
What does the wind do as far as distortion?

JB

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2007 12:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's one of the programs I have. I have four different selections.

• normal
  • 6db boost
  • windy conditions
  • 6db less
There are a total of twelve different selections that I could pick, only one I remember right now is one specially designed for music listening. Oh yeah, another is for conversations in a crowded room, it blanks out all extranious noise except conversational speech. The 6db less works very good for shooting range conditions and one thing I discovered all by myself, cell phone usage, don't get the feedback. The 6db boost I use for two things. One, if I would be listening to the TV and didn't want to disturb someone else, then I can push the button and increase the amplification and somebody sleeping in the same room hardly notices the sound. But, I do use that selection on a stand, to make sure the machine is working when I mess with changing sounds or the volume. I cannot hear the caller maxed out, at two hundred yards, but using the 6db boost setting, I can hear the sound at 800 yards away. In conparison, with no hearing aids, I can't hear it playing at 100 yards.
Good hunting. LB

[ May 31, 2007, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2007 05:08 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
has anyone tried walkers game ear?

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5063 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters