The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » while we are at it..... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: while we are at it.....
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 03:29 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
scruffy,

Regardless of the angle the coyote may be standing, I always aim to vector the bullet thru the thoracic cavity and don't worry so much about bone in the way. Again, inside 200 yards. Beyond that, I have to be lucky regardless of angle. [Smile] As far as exits, my partner cusses me every time I kill one. If it has a big hole, I let him keep it since he's using the money to buy a gun. I used a Mini-14 for years and found that a pair of good Nikes became a regular part of my gear list since they don't hit where you shoot them and if you hit them a bit to one side, you're running them down. Having said that, I've told young Matt many times, as he cusses me for cavitating yet another coyote - It's easier to sew them up than run them down any day. (To be specific, fist-sized exits aren't unheard of. Sometimes, there's no exit at all. But, if I can hit him, he dies.)

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Joel Hughes
SPECIAL GUEST
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 04:48 PM      Profile for Joel Hughes           Edit/Delete Post 
 -

I think he would push off his front right leg and go straight away and back off to my left in retreat.

Posts: 145 | From: texas | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 08:45 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
"I am surprised at some answers. I agree 100% with others."

Leonard,

Please e-mail me my grades.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
MULE
Knows what it's all about
Member # 63

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 08:49 PM      Profile for MULE           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Bradh except I'm 2" left.

--------------------
Kickin' it on the Steppes. Livin' in my Yurt

My Hockey Mom can beat up your Community Organizer

Posts: 334 | From: Ulan Bator | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 09:31 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
MULE,killed him (Bang Flop) [Frown] I don't get a shot! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 12:59 AM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
Im going to haft to agree with Joel H. Maybe just a little bit more to the right of were his X is. But not much.

Brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls
http://www.keescalls.com

Posts: 295 | From: Southern Ohio | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 05:44 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

Traumatic Effects; Of [Bullit] pressure wave, shock wave[positive & negative].

Solid organs; [LSPOK], Liver, Spleen, Ovarie's/Orchi's [Big Grin] , Pancreas & Kidney's. All tend to "Fracture".

Hollow Organs; Heart, Lungs, Arteries, Veins, Stomach, Intestines, ect, ect. Tend to "expand & contract/cavitate" from [gas-pressure]. Sometimes, rupturing.

That's why & where, I'd shoot the HM coyote if offered that shot [Wink] . "Ideally", I'd prefer a broadside shot, low & through both shoulders.

edit; Whoops...left out Heart & Lungs [Big Grin] .
------------------------------
Speaking of lungs. Most folks already know this...But if possible, I prefer not to shoot them. Way to many runners.

Example; Expell all the air, you can from [your lungs]. Then see how far you can run, before needing another breath. Now, as tough as a coyote is. Especially, after the [Adrenalin] has kicked in.

It's not hard to see they can often go aways, before collasping.

[ February 23, 2006, 06:14 AM: Message edited by: 2dogs ]

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2006 07:46 PM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little slow in responding but for me it would depend on what I was shooting.

If I was shooting something with a heavy jacket i.e. 55 grain sierra 1365 I would go for the shoulder shot.

If I was shooting something lighter say a 40 grain bullet out of a 22-250 the ideal place in my opinion would be about half way up, where the shoulder and neck meet.Good spot to shoot them if you are going to skin them yourself. Lots meat to hold the bullet and the only direction the coyote goes is straight down. Saves a lot of blood and mess on the pelt.

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters