The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Bad news is good (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Bad news is good
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2006 09:19 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
I am thinking about a smaller rifle, like maybe a Browning Micro hunter in .243. The .204 is only for field mice and the occasional prairie dog, you know that.
Happy turkey day,
Rich

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2006 12:57 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

I'm wary of admitting it, but I actually killed a coyote using a .17HMR this weekend. I couldn't hunt Sunday with a centerfire because of NE's firearms deer season still going on, so I was stuck with either my shotgun or use one of Q's .17 semi-autos. Well, shotguns around Q are about as worthless as tits on a snake so I went with the .17. Pretty much felt a wee bit undergunned most of the day looking down from those big breaks and bluffs across several miles of open prairie, but just at sunset, a nice 35# male came out of some grass and we squeaked him right to us. Straight on, full frontal shot at about 70 yards using a 20 grn round. Even then, that coyote went about 150 yards before going down. Had I made that shot here where CRP grass abounds, I probably never would have found him. He was dead when the dust cleared and yes, the .17HMR will kill a coyote. But, you better be a damned good shot and he better take off across country with no more cover than the WalMart parking lot if you expect to recover him once he realizes he's dead. [Wink] I hear tell the .204 is pretty good though.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2006 01:41 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you're home and doing well Rich. Hope you are able to get out amongst them again real soon!

- DAA

P.S. Tim Behle is a smart guy!

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2006 03:23 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
DAA,
Thanks for the well wishes. I think maybe old seeDog scared that NE coyote to death with the hummer. Just kidding around (sort of) because I enjoy making fun of my friends who use pop guns for real live animals. I know these little rifles will work, I just ain't up to the challenge. [Cool]

--------------------

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2006 09:30 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
cripes Rich, i thought they were going to take a little longer to do the surgery. hope you have a speedy recovery and can get out and school some coyotes ASAP. sounds like they put a little pep back into ya by finding out the problem. i have enjoyed reading your 'Revitalized Cronk' posts.

BTW, the .243 may be your best bet. flat, fast and i heard it'll knock the balls off a golf!

good luck, Chris

IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2006 10:11 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you got it done too Rich. Especially after what Steve said!

Feel better soon and a speedy recovery to you!!!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2006 07:50 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
This is what I look like today. George Foreman caught me with a low blow.
 -

--------------------

Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2006 07:55 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Smokes Rich!!! I hope you feel better than you look!!! [Wink] That bruising looks like healing to me!!! [Smile]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2006 08:09 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
God, you don't know how much I hope that's your stomach! [Eek!] [Confused] [Eek!]

Really, glad to hear you're recuperating and getting back on your feet. Best wishes.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters