The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Counting Coup

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Counting Coup
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2006 12:00 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
For the first time ever, I called a coyote, on purpose.
Every other time was a suprise.

The other night I heard coyotes barking, in the park behind my house, so (about 1am) I decided I was gonna call one of them in.

As I went through the living room, I walked past my 10/22 and it's clip full of Stingers... in my neighborhood I could fire ten rounds, and as long as nobody was hit, the cops would probably never show up... but right is right and wrong is wrong, so I ain't gonna break the law just to kill a coyote.

Out the door I went, slipping on my quietest sneakers, I walked down to the corner and across the street and passed a large open area to a small peninsula of trees and thick brush. I took up a position standing next to a good sized hawthorn tree, shaded from the closest street light.
One of the (two) coyotes is still barking, it's directly upwind of me 60 yards away, across a creek, and the road.

I start to lipsqueak, the way Mr Cronk taught me to (not a kissy sound, but more like a cottontail), and the coyote stops barking.
I'm not worried at all, I know this is a good sign, I have never known this before, but I KNOW IT this time.

After a few short series of calls I take a breath, and listen, and I hear doggy footsteps on the wooden footbridge crossing the creek... the coyote is making and "end run", and I know right where she's gonna come out.

She shows up right where I expected, but I am not where she expected... she stops at the far edge of the road slightly to my right, and is going to take the trail to the large opening behind my stand.

She's small, fuzzy, and beautiful... not the short coated, wet looking, scruff her clan usually appear as.

As she steps into the road, I make one tiny mouse squeak, redirecting her.
She bolts straight at me, now figuring the prey is in the tree I am leaning on.
She's looking up past me, and has no clue I am there.

Just as she reaches the curb, I can't contain myself anymore, partly from excitement partly from fear, and I jump out from my hidey hole and yell "HAH!!!"

She was twisting and contorting like a cat dropped upside down, as she tried to turn around mid-air (and at about my eye level), so I was able to get a positive ID on her sex before she lit back into the brush the way she'd come.

I don't think she'll be back anytime soon.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2006 04:50 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool on you, dude !!!!!!!

One thing ya gotta love about being a predator caller; any time, any place, it's all good.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2006 06:38 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go, K. Do as the coyotes do - be an opportunist.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Knows what it's all about
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2006 08:18 AM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Krusty!

K-rusty, K-State... anybody else thinking what I'm thinking?

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2006 09:04 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The planets must be in alignment?

Feels good, don't it? Now, go kill one. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Knows what it's all about
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2006 07:49 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
That is great...

Now go with that "I WILL" attitude to every stand and have a grande ole time...

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2006 12:14 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Ain't it cool Krusty! I never get tired of the sight, of a called coyote coming into my stand.
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters