The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Midway Drag Bag / Gun Case Review

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Midway Drag Bag / Gun Case Review
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2010 03:17 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Now it's time to bore you guys with my review...

A while back I posted a thread over in CT inquiring about rifle drag bags. I got many great replies and ideas from guys like SPDSNYPER, Oldskool, etc. Many of the bags recommended to me by these knowledgeable fellows are all top knotch pieces of equipment such as those from Eagle, Eberlestock, TacOps, Blackhawk, and so forth. There is one reason I have held off on a bag, and that reason is cost. With one kid in college and two more on their way to college, Mr. 49 just isn't going to spend $250 -$300 on a bag/gun case. At least not in the near future. One evening as I was surfing the web (yeah, I have no life), I ran across this bag from Midway. At $54 sale price I figured I couldn't go wrong trying it out. The main reason I wanted a bag like this is for personal range and hunting purposes. I don't need a bag like this for my rifle at work because they give me a case to carry it in my trunk. So here goes my review, I hope you find it worth while.

Here is a picture of the bag from the north. With the bag is included a shoulder strap (pictured):

-
A pic from the south. The back pack straps are visible:

-

A pic of the nose cover and tow strap:

-
Closeup of the back pack straps:

-
The zipper opening, cover, and snaps:

-
Continued...

[ January 07, 2010, 03:10 AM: Message edited by: 4949shooter ]

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2010 03:18 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
The bag opening:

-
Interior ammo pouch:

-
Interior:

-
With two rifles:

-

Just another pic:  -

Continued...

[ January 07, 2010, 03:13 AM: Message edited by: 4949shooter ]

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2010 03:19 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Loops and D rings:

- Ammo pouch with .243 rounds:

-
Upon opening the plastic cover when I received the bag, my first thoughts were that it was lighter than I expected. The cordura is heavy duty, though is not ballistic nylon as compared to another bag I have made from this material. The bag is double stitched in all the right places. The zippers are all heavy duty of unknown make. The bag is long enough to fit my long rifles, including my 19 pound Ohio Ordnance Self Loading Rifle. This was important to me because I was interested in a heavy duty soft case in which to transport this particular gun.

The bag is seemingly well thought out. There are two long pouches that run the longways on the bag. These pouches contain securing straps with plastic buckles. No velcro...too noisy. There is one large pouch at the rear of the bag, which looks like it is meant to hold a spotting scope. I don't know if I would use it for this due to the fact that this and the other pouches are not padded from the outside. It would serve to hold notebooks, hunting calls, extra ammo, or whatever else you might need it to.

I like the idea of pack straps. It is a help to have hands free when you need it. Normally when I go to the range I have other gear to carry. I don't think I would be trekking across Afganistan with these straps as I don't think they are made well enough. But for the average police officer, shooter, or hunter I think they will be fine.

The zipper has a "storm" cover with dull metal snaps. Besides keeping debris out of your case, the snaps will keep the bag working in the event of a zipper failure. A good thought and one that I believe is standard on all drag bags. There is also a padded "lip" that rides under the zipper when the bag is closed. Another nice touch to keep debris away from your rifles.

The bag is eqipped with a nose cover. The theory being that as the bag is dragged through brush it will offer more protection for the front of the bag. I have read reviews where guys have removed this item. But to me, the front of the bag is what gets knocked into walls, car door frames, etc. I am leaving mine on.

The bag is well padded on the outside. There is a padded divider on the inside. As shown, the bag will effectively carry two rifles, or rifle and shotgun, or whatever. I have confidence the bag will tolerate the weight of two rifles. The divider is held down by velcro. I would not remove the divider because the velcro on the bottom is hard and sharp and could scratch your gun. Leave it in place and you will be fine. There are loops on the bag for attaching camouflage.

The handles are placed in such a way that the bag can be nose heavy depending on the size of rifle placed inside it. With my AR's and hunting bolt action guns this is the case. With my 19 pound SLR the bag is well balanced. It is what it is.

My impression is that this is an extremely well made drag bag for the money. Though it would not be my first choice for use as a drag bag by actual snipers in combat. However, this bag will serve as an excellent general type carry-all gun case. It is well made and seemingly very durable, and much more durable than a standard gun case. It is also nice to have a zippered case as opposed to a hard plastic gun case with latches. I experience coming out of the woods after hunting with cold fingers, and sliding a long gun into the case in my truck is a heckuva lot easier than dealing with the latches and hard sides of the plastic cases.

For the money I will give this bag 5 stars. If I were going into an area for extended combat I would spend the extra money on a different bag. But for the average hunter, shooter, or police officer this bag will be more than enough.

Thanks for listening.

[ January 07, 2010, 03:14 AM: Message edited by: 4949shooter ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2010 01:04 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Very good report. I seldom crawl through bushes in a war zone anymore but for those that do, this bag seems servicable.

I have a bag made by Assault Systems that looks similiar, but it only holds one AR and a bunch of magazines in pouches on the outside. I don't think anybody ever thought of shoulder straps, at the time?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2010 02:50 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but it only holds one AR and a bunch of magazines in pouches
How many of each do you have, Leonard?

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2010 03:07 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
I was asked by someone on another forum to post a pic of the case with rifles fully open lengthwise. So here it is if anyone is interested:

-

[ January 07, 2010, 03:14 AM: Message edited by: 4949shooter ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2010 03:27 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not at liberty to say, on an open forum. LB

How come the photos have been deleted?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2010 04:37 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why. I have been having trouble with photobucket lately, as have some others I have seen.

I will try posting them again.

Edit: The photos have been deleted off of the other two forums I posted on as well.

[ January 06, 2010, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: 4949shooter ]

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters