The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Coyote calling demographics (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  11  12  13 

Author Topic: Coyote calling demographics
Wiley E
Knows what it's all about
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 09:08 AM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
How has the demographics of coyote calling changed in your area?

Do you see more calling pressure or less?

Do you see the same guys that have always called with a handful of callers entering and a handful of callers leaving or do you see new faces all the time?

What impact do you believe fur prices have played?

What I have seen is a steady stream of new guys coming on. I attribute this to three factors:

1. An increase in coyote calling contests.
2. Exposure to coyote calling information via video and CD (prostitution of the sport).
3. Electronics for those less confident in their ability to call.

I have also seen a steady increase in methodology. What I see is more guys howling than there used to be and more use of distress calls. A lot of this is also due to the prostitution of coyote calling on videos and CDs.

Considering the fact that most healthy coyote populations have 70% young coyotes of which most have never heard a commercial rabbit call before prime fur season, perhaps it's time to go back to rabbit calls to once again best the competition?

Of course I'd always use howls for locating but I'm thinking I need another change up to keep an edge in areas of higher competition.

An observation I have made over the years during coyote calling competitions is that my partners and I would consistantly take more large adults than our competition. I am not offering this as a boastful statement but rather simply stating a fact to generate discussion. This I am sure is mainly due to the almost exclusive use of vocalizations as opposed to "wabbit scweams". Vocalizations certainly give you a distance advantage, they bring out more territorial responses in the adults, and they can shy a few juevies. Percentage wise, I still believe a person is better off, in most situations, by combining vocalizations with prey sounds since the highest percentage of any healthy population is young of the year.

What have you seen in your area regarding calling demographics and do you think more guys are using vocalizations as opposed to "wabbit scweams"?

Cal, check your email!

Rich Higgins, email me your phone number so I can call you before St. Francis or call me in the evenings.

~SH~

[ December 27, 2005, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Wiley E ]

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 09:24 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A lot of this is also due to the prostitution of coyote calling on videos and CDs.

What about the internet with sites like this, PM, CG, etc?

Alot of beginners running around the net. And it's free, no $$$ for DVD's.

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 09:35 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Well if it isn't Wiley E.Where the hell you been hiding.LOL Great to have you back on the HM.
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bill
Member # 49

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 09:57 AM      Profile for Bill           Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Tucson the first of the big out door retailers open up, the Sportsman’s Warehouse. During the opening they drew in a huge number of local sportsmen to the store. The shelves were over stocked with everything including all things related to predator calling. They had a huge selection of mouth calls and wide selection of electronic calls. It was interesting to talk with or listen to guys considering what to buy, how the product worked, even where to go. There seemed to be a lot of guys that have an interest in calling but had little knowledge of the sport. Since the learning curve can be very steep for many new callers I’m thinking they will soon lose interest and find something easier to succeed at. In the past I have not ran into other caller in the field except for a very few times. But who knows, that may change.

Bill

Posts: 55 | From: Tucson | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 11:20 AM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back Wiley E. You have always answered my questions in full when you see them so I will do my best here.

I see more and more guys that appear to be calling every year. However, I see few making stands. I think that there are more guys that are giving it a try and making 2 or three stands on an outing and road hunting the rest of the day. That is what I did before someone called one up for me and instilled confidence in what I was doing. I doubt many of these guys are out every chance they get and might go on 3 or 4 hunts after the big game seasons end. I don’t recognize vehicles so I guess new faces each time.???

Fur prices I think have little to no effect on new comers. I think most feel like they are doing ADC work to help ranchers or the game animals that they would rather pursue in the area.

On the howling end of it, I think more and more are trying it myself included, but I don’t do it on every stand, kind of a situational thing. Personally I’m afraid of sounding too big or aggressive. I can only assume that others have the same fears and might stick with what has worked for them in the past.

The standard Wiley E. type disclaimer applies.

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 01:58 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello SH, long time no hear. Interesting choice of words. “Prostituting the sport” that is. LOL Everything else hunting related has went commercial, you knew it would only be a matter of time.

Good hunting.

Q,

Posts: 617 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 02:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Scott.
What do you mean by: "prostituting the sport"?

Good hunting. Madame Leonard

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 02:34 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Wiley,
It is good to hear from you. I don't get out calling nearly as much as I once did. In my own stomping grounds, there are a lot more deer and turkey hunters than there ever was before. There are also a lot of guys who chase coyotes with pickup trucks and C.B. radio's, but not very many callers. Looking at the big picture however,I have to agree that the number of new callers are on the increase. Iowa coyotes see a lot of pressure from hunters, and this makes for spooky coyotes. Calling out in the more open farm country during mid-day is futile.

There are some willing coyotes to be found back in those loess hills, where it is too steep to farm. Even up there in the brush, the coyotes circle down-wind more than they once did. I still use coyote vocalizations, but I use them sparingly and I use them more during denning and breeding season than I do in early fall. Murry Burnham once told me that coyotes teach their young. I have come to believe him.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 03:27 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

Good to see you back and hope to shake your hand in St. Francis.

Here in Kansas, I'm seeing more and more guys getting into calling coyotes. Just this week, I've had three different guys hit me up to teach them "a few tricks". I show them the vanilla, Johnny Stewart cottontail in distress routine and let them learn from trial and screw up just like I did. Tell them where to subscribe to T&PC and go from there. LOL

The reason I think a lot of guys around here are turning to calling hasn't been mentioned here yet, so I'll throw it into the fray. Kansas has been beseiged by deer hunting guides and lease hunting and a large proportion of middle class sportsmen have been bumped out of deer hunting by wealthier non-residents that can afford to pay the asking price. In their search to get a "fix" for their hunting addiction, they turn to one critter that the landowners still seem to hold in a high degree of contempt - coyotes.

Like many places, they try it a couple times, fail, and look for something else to keep them busy. I hope. [Smile]

As far as more guys using vocalizations, I don't, as a rule, demo howling for beginners and tell them up front that I won't. God knows I get hit up for it, but I make it clear that it demands a better understanding of calling then they possess and that they'd be better off just mastering the basics at first.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 03:48 PM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Wiley E,

Prostitute? So am I a pimp or a whore? [Confused]

My thoughts are that there are more callers than before but most won't do what it takes to become proficient and will get frustrated then quit, only to be replaced by others that will do the same. The learning curve is way steeper than most are willing to go through. There will be a few however, that will be persistent and will catch the bug.

I also don't think that there are to many callers out. Sure there may be a lot more but it is a long way from to many. I feel that 90% aren't willing to do what it takes to do much damage and are pretty much a non-issue. Those that are devout and eager will learn to be more proficient. Not much we can do about that.

At one time I was a new caller. I studied every article and hung on every word any body spoke pertaining to coyotes or calling. I was a sponge for any tidbit of information I could get my hands on. The difference with me, and the others I hung around with is that I had the fortitude and desire to apply the information I was receiving. It was not a hobby for me but a way of life. Everything I did revolved about me getting more time in the woods. Not many have this today but there are a few. CD's, DVD's and the Internet are just sources of information. Without a little gumption this information is useless. If I would of had something like the internet or DVD's when I was young I have no doubt it would have used it to gain knowledge for my passion.

Skip forward a few years. I'm not a new caller any more but still have a passion for it. I also enjoy sharing the things I've learned with others, especially guys that were in the same boat as I was thirty years ago. It takes an enormous amount of effort to produce a video or keep a internet forum up and running to share this knowledge. This is why I take a little offence to the negative connotation of the words you chose to describe what I do. Sure I make a little money off what I do but it is all done in a very respectful way and well worth the price I'm asking. Most are also quiet glad I took the time to produce such a product that was instrumental in getting them through the learning curve maybe a little faster. When it all boils down though they still have to get off the couch to get it done. To those that do get off the couch, I wish all the luck.

Information is a wonderful thing but useless if not put in action.

I'm a big boy and pretty thick skinned. I'm not pissed in the least, just think your choice of words was a poor. Your not alone in your seemingly, bitter assessment of others that would somehow like to enjoy and learn the art of calling critters and those that are willing to help them. I'm aware that your intentions may have been different that you conveyed in your written words. If I have misunderstood your intentions, I apologize. (Been doing that a lot lately.)

Byron (the pimp) South [Big Grin]

[ December 27, 2005, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Byron South ]

--------------------
"Coming to the Call" predator hunting videos. Volumes I, II, III and IV. Order two or more and pay no S&H www.comingtothecall.com

Posts: 313 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 04:01 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
And now, time to pause for a short side track...

Just remember, Byron, "Pimpin' ain't easy!"

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 04:54 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Leonard; Can we all be 'Coyote Pimp' members for a day, or would that be pushing it??

I'm seeing more & more sign of increased calling in my areas. Scouting, test calling in areas that produce good results in mid-Oct. often produce only warning barks & howls by late Nov. when the fur is fully prime.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 05:36 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
We're both pimps Byron, but so is Scott. We have figured out a way to make some or all of our income by killing stuff. There are several other pimps here too. Don't get your feelings hurt, be happy you're doing what you're doing and having some success. I have caught some grief from a few guys over making another video with dogs, but they make thier living killing coyotes or selling stuff to kill coyotes also, so I see no difference. As for callers here, it's about the same as always. A few new guys and plenty of two or three times a year guys, but not many die hards. Seems to be plenty or coyotes around. They may be a touch wiser than a few years ago, but then so am I! LOL!

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baldknobber
Member # 514

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 05:36 PM      Profile for Baldknobber   Email Baldknobber         Edit/Delete Post 
Unlike some ot the newcomers that started the same time that I did, I have stuck with it and my coyote take has increased dramatically. Last year was my first year and I went all winter and only took a total of 4 coyotes. As of right now I have taken 11 so far. The difference is that this website with its experienced contributors and the people who produce the top quality videos such as Byron and Gerald Stewart have helped me to pay attention and to do things right. Without them I would just be out there educating coyotes and running the back roads searching for a wandering coyote to shoot at. I have been serious about my quest for information and my hat is off to the guys who produce the GOOD videos. Thanks guys.

--------------------
JTBMO

Posts: 202 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 05:50 PM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard: "What do you mean by: "prostituting the sport"?"

It's self explanatory Leonard.

Prostitute: A person who degrades his talents for money.

Bob tells Joe how to call coyotes. Joe makes a video selling Bob's techniques for money. Happens all the time. Prostitution!

If that choice of words offended someone, there must be a reason. I'm not talking about selling a product through a video such as Gerald Stewart does, I'm talking about those who sell other's hard word and knowledge for their own financial gain.

Gee, didn't take me long to press buttons did it? LOL!

Thanks for the responses.

~SH~

[ December 27, 2005, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Wiley E ]

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 06:09 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
2. Exposure to coyote calling information via video and CD (prostitution of the sport).

You've got my attention...

You tied that allegation to the video and CD medium in your original post, so how 'bout we cut to the chase and you be more specific. It's on the table so we might as well not dance around it.

[ December 27, 2005, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------

Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 07:56 PM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Wiley E,

You did, admittedly, strike a nerve with me with your blanket statement, but I'm not feeling defensive at all. Just puzzled. Who is Bob and Joe? [Big Grin]

" A lot of this is also due to the prostitution of coyote calling on videos and CDs."

I was not aware that someone had a monopoly on disseminating this kind of information. Does the initial person that has an original thought have sole rights to that thought? Not sure if you've ever even seem my videos and we have certainly not met or hunted together, but what I've put on my videos are the tactics that I use. Most of which were learned by hard knocks and trial and error. Some were even learned from others. My feelings are not hurt in the least. In fact I find it both comical as well as sad that someone would have such a view. By your own definition I would love for you to demonstrate how I or any other video maker has prostituted themselves.

Why did you leave out the magazine writers that do much the same thing for profit? Are they prositutes as well? [Confused] (Sorry Lance) (Dang I got to quit apologizing)

Why would Gerald be excluded? Did I miss something? Isn't he whoring himself out to HS by your definition? [Big Grin] (sorry Gerald)(You see, I did it again [Mad] )

Since I can remember I have always wanted to be able to make a living doing what I love. I'm not there yet but getting very close. I have not stepped on anyones toes in doing so either. I've worked long and hard to get to where I'm at in life. I can honestly say I've never prosituted myself or dignity in doing so. I'm used to having jabs thrown at me (I was a skinny kid). Just, it has never been in my nature not to throw a few back.

I don't wish to waste my time debating the issue as it will not accomplish much. I've spent way more time on this dang computer in the last few days than I should have. I have to round up a shooter or camera man for in the morning.

Cal,

My feelings ain't hurt. [Wink] Just never quiet thought of myself as a pimp. [Eek!] . I was just wondering how someone could come to such a conclusion.

Baldknobber,

Thanks for purchasing my videos. Glad you enjoyed them. [Big Grin]

Good night

Byron [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Coming to the Call" predator hunting videos. Volumes I, II, III and IV. Order two or more and pay no S&H www.comingtothecall.com

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 09:26 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Byron, this is Scott Huber you are talking about.

Somebody brief Byron about Scott. He's a legend. [Wink] And, a very good friend.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 10:11 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott you must have been reading my mind with parts of you're post. Especially with the " Bob tells Joe" part.

I received a E-Mail today from a good friend. The heading had the word WARNING written fifteen times followed by take you're blood pressure medicine before going to this web site. I clicked on the website to see a new calling hero with many years of studding Coyote vocalizations had started producing his own calls. My wife drove to this mans house less than a year ago. I gave him a prototype of the "She Howler" and "Ky-Yoter I developed for Lohman. A company I have been under contract with for nearly twenty years. I showed him how to use them. Damn I must be a good teacher. Now he is another one of our up and coming stars. By this time next year he will have thirty years experience. That seems to be the magic number for guys who are barely forty.

Another star called me just a few years back asking for legal advice as to what to do with his new video. Not having any legal knowledge I called Lohman's legal department to help him out. Explaining this was a young man I wonted to help out, and not see his hard work get ripped off. When my boss found out what I had done it nearly cost me my job. I also gave him advice on giving seminars. Now I see my advice given out as his own words, and he his proclaimed a genius. To add insult to injure I call to order his video, and am immediately asked for my credit card number.

I guess in the true since of the word I have been a prostitute for the last twenty years, because I received compensation from hunting, and appering in over a dozen TV shows and several videos. I thought what I was doing was trying to pass on what little knowledge I have to those that did not have any.

Thanks to Rich Higgins great generosity I recently had the privilege of watching his entire video collection. Some are the old classics, some hot off the press. Yes they were all made with the hopes of profit, and I truly hope they all made one. One thing that became very clear to me, and that was the reason they were made. The majority were made to pass on years of experience to old and new callers alike with credit given to the folks that helped them gain the knowledge they were sharing with the viewer.

The others that were also both old and new turned my stomach. They were made to say look at me. I invented predator calling, aren't you lucky I am coming into you're home so you can see just how great I am. No credit given to those that helped them. They reminded me of the end zone dances you used to see in the NFL. look at me I scored all by myself. No help from the coaches I had all my life, no help from my team mates. I am the almighty glorious one. Now a word from my sponsors.

Recent post on this board and others have almost made me sick to be part of this profession. I have even considered resigning a position that has been dear to me for many years. Then I think of the unselfish folks we have here who leap to help any and all that ask for help. Not to mention Leonard who provides us with this playing field we sometimes turn into a hog wollow. lord how does he put up with us?.

Scott, Thanks for this post. Thanks to a man of you're calaber I have had many questions that I have been asking myself answerd tonight. Just maybe I am not the only one getting a wiff of something rotten in the wind. Please visit more often.

[ December 27, 2005, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: varmit hunter ]

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 11:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ronnie, don't despair. You are not the only one with questions.

I know how you feel. All I ever wanted to do, was become a successful predator hunter. Have not earned a dime from it and I'm not famous, either.

You know what, I don't care. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2005 01:41 AM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Hot Dog! Wiley E. is back! He has something under his saddle blanket and true to form has generated a lot of ink. Tell us what it is Wiley E. we can handle the truth. [Eek!]
Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 14 posted December 28, 2005 01:45 AM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
Ronnie, this is what Craig O’Gorman had to say about the subject. These same issues run in trapping circles as well.

O’Gormans catalog page one……

Speaking of Bud Hall Bill, Nelson, Don Bolte, John Smith, Curtis Grigg, Slim Pedersen, George Good, Bill Austin, Vern Dorn, Paul Bunke, Vernon Hopkins. These, and many dozens of more men that kill fur for a living have helped shape my career, ideas and concepts.

Page 34…..

Some People with fragile egos often claim they are self-made men. But they read all the books; go to the conventions, etc., and it would be impossible that they haven’t picked up things of value from others in the trade. So no man is an island. Often these same men give credit for an idea to a friend yet the true recognition belongs to where the friend learned or picked up the information. Thus, they disguise where the knowledge originated. Often because it came from a man that was a competitor of they were jealous or envious of his success. Their fragile egos wouldn’t permit giving credit to a man that had accomplished more than they because it would leave them insecure and make them feel smaller in their paper image.

I learned early in life that to recognize the truly great trappers that I have learned from and express my admiration, acknowledge their contribution to my career is proper, manly thing to do. It only increases your stature, it doesn’t detract from it.

Good hunting.

Q,

Posts: 617 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2005 04:40 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting choice of examples Q. When I think of who might be a whore to the sport of trapping, Craig is at the top of my list.

I've always felt a little guilty of the opinion that I have held of him. I'm never actually met the man in person, but I've read a number of his catalogues. The first one back in the late 80's. My first impression still stands, I think that Craig is a blowhart, a liar and a prick who will tell you anything that he thinks you want to hear, just to make another sale, or to build up his ego.

I hope to some day meet the man, and find out that I was wrong, I've had a number of guys over the years tell me that I was wrong. But then I've also had a number of guys tell me I was spot on.

I will give him one thing, he makes the best coyote bait I've ever tried, and I buy a half a gallon or more from him each year.

Byron,

Relax, you are no pimp. Gerald is a pimp, but you are just a common coyote whore, same as Cal or Lance. But then a lot of us here are just a bunch of coyote sluts. We are giving away for free what you are selling.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2005 05:25 AM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

I know who Scott Huber is, and I respect him enough not to judge him. I was simply expecting the same courtousy.

Ronnie,

I also know who Byron South is. And he ain't a prositute by any stretch. I've never tried to claim credit for invinting a dang thing, and have never proclaimed to be an expert on any subject. What I have done is stuck my neck out and produced a video or four that have been well recieved. I have received advise fom many along the way and their help has been noted when credit was due maybe not on film, but I'll bet you will be hard press to find where I have patted myself on the back either. I am in the video business. It cost money to be in the video business. I have a young family that likes to eat. If I gave every new friend I have gained through making these videos a free video I would be bankrupt. All of my true friends that appreciate what struggles I've been through to produce these videos gladly bought theirs.

Anybody that truly knows me knows that I have no ego or false impression of who I really am. It was not my intention to put myself above others to say look at me, but to simply make an instructional video with the things that I have learned over many years from both trial and error as well as others. I have never in the slightest way insinuated that I invented a damn thing when it comes to anything I do. I simply state my approach to calling.

What seems to be happening here is that Tom told Bob then Bob told Joe then Joe took his own money and his own reputation and a lot of hard work, put it on the line by putting it on video but forgot to give Bob the credit. Bob got his feelings hurt because he didn't get to share the profits of Joe's work and risk. So now he's whinning.

My life is pretty transparent. I took a huge risk and put my ass on the line for people to take jabs at. I put my face on video with my money but yet others here seem to get their feelings hurt when the credit is not given to them. If you will watch on my videos I only shoot two coyotes on the first two volumes. My friends do most of the shooting because I'm behind the camera. I didn't make my video to hock a new whiz bang super call, or to say looky here I'm Byron South super man coyote caller. I simply made some instructional calling videos. Get over it.

I have never and will never tear at anothers reputation to try and make myself appear better. I respect and give a man the benefit of doubt and do my dead level best not to judge.

Through doing these videos it has opened a lot of doors for me and I have had the opportunity to meet some extraordinary people some of which were childhood hero's. Also along the way it seems that some are envious of my limited success. This is a shame and also very petty.

I'm late to go kill some coyotes because of this sensless debate. Good Day.

Byron

--------------------

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2005 06:10 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Giving, passing on, handing down, info, ect, ect. Is what hunting/calling/trapping is all about to me, personally.

The only person[s] who have taught me on spot/stalking, useing hounds, ect, ect. Were my Dad & his 2 bud's. I have learned or improved upon what they all taught me. Throughout my yrs of trial/error on my own.

All of which, is pricelss to me [Cool] .

------------------------
As for calling, I have learned from many of you & others. Besides my own experience's, on my own.

"Prostituting" that doesn't figure in, IMB. For the folks, whom try to make a living doing so.

People have shared with myself. I feel obligated to do the same to others. Maybe one [tibit] from myself, will help someone do a better job.

Thats the only reward, I get. Money can't buy that [Wink]

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  11  12  13 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters