The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Arizona Coyotes......... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Arizona Coyotes.........
bucksnort
Miss Chris from AZ
Member # 202

Icon 8 posted January 16, 2004 05:23 PM      Profile for bucksnort   Email bucksnort         Edit/Delete Post 
......from what I have seen, are way down in numbers. I go out to some of my old haunts, and nada,.........no scat, no tracks, and no coyotes.

You can't call what is not there!

How about the rest of you Arizona callers?

[ January 16, 2004, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: bucksnort ]

--------------------
"There are lion chasers, lion catchers, and lying SOB's."

"Warriors of El Gato - The Lion"

Posts: 368 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2004 06:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been out much, but based on what I have seen, I could agree. I have no clue why?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 9 posted January 16, 2004 06:05 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Same here buddy, this valley is empty. I've taken to sneaking up on rocks, just to find something to shoot at. The Jackrabbits have gone the way of the coyote. Can't even plink at them.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Knows what it's all about
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2004 08:22 PM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
I have found it is very scattered. One area contains some, 5 miles down the road, nothing...

Most of them have concentrated in the areas with the most cattle... nothing new, but more so this year...

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2004 09:30 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL I don't believe a one of you guys. You'd say anything to keep folks sufficiently discouraged from hunting your Mecca!!!! LOL [Razz] [Wink]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Steve Craig
Lacks Opposable Thumbs/what's up with that?
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2004 06:05 AM      Profile for Steve Craig           Edit/Delete Post 
Coyote numbers have been on the decline for 3 years now. The bulk of the problem is caused by the drought. Coyotes need water back and away from people to raise pups in the spring. If they do not have it, they have a tough time raising their pups. The last 3 years pup populations have run at about 6% average. It should be around 60%! It doesnt take very many years of this to begin to see reduced coyote numbers in certain areas. Add to this mange, and parvo( the next biggest problem) and numbers continue to dive. Interestingly enough, I havent seen the desert coyotes affected AS BAD as the coyotes in my areas. Probably due to the reduced water there anyway. We had a little more water last spring up here than the previous 2 springs, so there are areas with coyotes and then down the road ,as Norm has seen, nothing. Water tanks in the Rim areas are pretty full right now, and if this holds, should see a good batch of pups this spring. I would be willing to bet that the litter numbers will run around 6 to 12 per litter as well. This usually happens when numbers are low. During high numbers, litters usually run a 3 to 5 average. I also feel that they will eventually adapt to raising litters in the suburbs too, if they havent already. Rich might know more about this. I dont know. I do know that the only complaint calls I am getting is from lion damage. Not a single coyote complaint all summer. Rancher called the other day and said he had lost a total of 12 calves to a lion over a several month period. He had a hound man come in and all that got done was to chase the big cat out of the area,several times. While it did stop the killing for a while, the problem eventually came back. I get called in and a client gets a nice lion, but I do not think it is the same one. Time will tell. Rancher is happy though.

I guess there is good coming from the lower coyote numbers, and that is a higher bobcat population is starting to show up. The down side for me is that I have already found where lions has killed 3 bobcats. They eat every thing except the hair and the upper and lower jaw bones. Most all the hair is licked off before eating. Anyway, enough rambling.
Steve

--------------------
Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction. - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 442 | From: Cottonwood,Az, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
bucksnort
Miss Chris from AZ
Member # 202

Icon 7 posted January 17, 2004 06:42 AM      Profile for bucksnort   Email bucksnort         Edit/Delete Post 
Loco, I am telling you true - poof, vanished. Come on down and I will take you bird watching. [Big Grin]

Take care.

--------------------

Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2004 07:20 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Loco,

When you get frustrated with Bruce not showing you any coyotes. Come on down here. I've shot most of the birds, but I can show you plenty of rocks to shoot at.

Tim

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2004 08:15 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
Loco, it's the truth... there is easily 2/3's less coyotes in AZ than there was 2 years ago...

I agree with the Steve, the drought has contributed greatly. We also have groups here that feel it is acceptable to shoot coyotes all year long as they hate the coyote versus having some respect for them and giving the ability to raise their young.

Parvo has taken it's toll on many as well.

Makes for a long day when you expect to see many coyotes and see one or two in a weekend... and those are call shy!!!

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2004 08:36 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Norm,

Looks like you've been doing a good job praying for rain.

We got .46" here on Tuesday/Wednesday. I was awakened by thunder at 3:15 this morning, then again by hail a little after 5.

It's been coming down pretty good all morning. Can't see any mountains, the world looks like a big lake. If you come by tomorrow, be sure to put it in 4WD before the pavement on Davis road ends. I'm five miles from pavement, the first two ( the public road part ) is the worst. Once you get to the private maintained roads, it's no problem.

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2004 08:59 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't want any rain this week... That will put alot of ground out of reach... guess people will just have to walk a few miles in search of some coyotes to call!

Well, you needed the rain so that is a positive.

See you sometime over the next couple days...

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2004 09:43 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
AZ Boyz,

LOL [Wink]

I do enjoy bird watching and stone killing. Both sound like fun to me! I went calling this morning for a couple of hours and all I saw was teal sliding around in the mud, a few mallards, about 15 jillion geese, a squirrel fooling around in a tree, and a bunch of deer. Man, I love coyote hunting! LOL

--------------------

Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2004 09:39 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Loco, I don’t think they are pulling your chain. I spent a week in Arizona around the first of December. During that week we saw 7 coyotes, excluding road kill. Of those 7 only two were called up, and only one got a ride in the truck. One place that we hunted, we hunted last year too. Last year we noticed tracks of multiple coyotes going up and down each wash. This year we felt like we were doing pretty good to find single sets in every other wash going one way. And that was the best we found on public or federal land. The hunt did not live up to expectations by any means. On the positive side we did see a few javilena (sp?) something that I had never seen before.
Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2004 06:03 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion it's not just the drought in Arizona you can blame for low coyote numbers. Nowadays everybody is a predator caller, that may have something to do with it. Never in the history of predator calling have we had so many callers, they come to Arizona and Nevada from all over the country wanting a shot at a coyote. Besides that, you also have G MEN shooting them ( coyotes ) from the air, that puts a big dent in them too. [Frown] I won't live long enough to see it, but I believe coyotes may have a season someday. Don't yell at me for saying that lol, I just happen to think it's going to happen.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
bucksnort
Miss Chris from AZ
Member # 202

Icon 7 posted January 18, 2004 06:57 AM      Profile for bucksnort   Email bucksnort         Edit/Delete Post 
Danny, I am with you on the season. I am surprised we don't have one now, with a special over the counter tag at $20.00 and $50.00 for non-resident. Uhhhmmmmmm. Maybe that non-resident tag would solve our problem. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Take care.

PS: I am ducking!

--------------------

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2004 07:28 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 

[ February 20, 2004, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DJ in AZ
Member # 276

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2004 08:18 AM      Profile for DJ in AZ   Email DJ in AZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Last week on saturday we (me and my son) called in nine. On sunday we managed to only to call in two. In some areas the numbers are down, in other areas the numbers are same as they have been in recent years.I think the areas with a constant water source are holding a fair amount of dogs.
Posts: 42 | From: Glendale AZ | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2004 10:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a few misgivings; in fact, I have a lot of them, should coyote ststus be changed.

All I have to do is look back at what has happened to the bobcat, in the last twenty-five years. I do not want regulatory agencies to get their foot in the door.

Look a little further, look at the management of the deer herds in California. It's a total mess.

Look at nonresident applications. No longer over the counter, apply in January. I'm sure many of us like to put our name and money in the lottery, and wait, and endure the disapointment. Imagine doing that with predators. Yeah, I know it can't happen.

All I'm saying is that coyotes are doing very well (thank you) without much protection, at all. There are two reasons for registration, and licensing. Think GUNS. They want our money, and they want CONTROL. I say we need not hand them our head on a platter.

Giving game animal status to coyotes is not a good idea. Sure, the reasons it might be suggested are legit, but wait until you see the results.

I have seen the results in the case of lions, kit fox and bobcat. I don't like the "Regulators" or the Biologists deciding these things. You guys won't like the results, either. I'm betting it will not turn out the way you want.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2004 02:36 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see Leonard’s point. In my case I can legally take a bobcat in Idaho but I have to have a tag to transport it across state lines. I understand that that is a federal law. It basically makes it next to impossible for me to get the critter home legally. I guess if it was a priority for me to take a bobcat I would see if it were possible to get a transportation tag in advance. I don’t think that would happen because they want the bottom jaw when the tag is issued. To take a bobcat here I have to play the lotto game I have never set steel and would likely not fill any tags anyway. So I don’t bother targeting them.
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2004 02:53 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan, they call it a "drawing", for the bobcat tags, but everyone who puts in for them gets all that they apply for (up to the maximum, which is 6 this year).

Just FYI, in case you decide you want to try for them next year, or like me, just have a tag or three in your pocket "just in case".

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2004 03:08 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
DAA

Thanks for correcting me on that one. I haven’t ever looked into it too far. I guess I assumed that to “draw” implied there was a chance I wouldn’t get any.

Rob
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2004 03:10 PM      Profile for Rob   Email Rob         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Leonard it scares me when people start talkin about seasons and hunting regulations for coyotes.Heck the coyote always bounces back like Steve Craig said look for bigger litters.

--------------------
"Where did all these #$%^&* Indians come from?" Gen. George Armstrong Custer

Posts: 224 | From: Clancy Montana | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2004 07:02 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
AZ has a season.

July 1 to June 30.

Does it need to be closed for a little longer? Possibly, but that is up to debate. Personally, as one who opposes Government regulations, I'd rather limit myself on when I hunt, than have any Government entity tell me when I can or can not hunt.

If we were to cut out just one third of the season now, then coyote populations rebounded 5 years down the road, then expanded even more till they were becoming a serious heath and Safety issue. The Government wouldn't open that 4 month period. It would just use our tax dollars to pay certain people to do something that I like to do for free.

I'm not willing to give up anything. Want to negotiate? Give me back trapping on Public lands ( 70% of the State ) as a show of good faith.

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2004 07:39 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Only a few years ago Colorado had a season put in place for coyotes. It only lasted a 2-3 years (I think). I suspect the state began paying out too much money on damage from coyotes (depredation). Here is another guess, I really think that coyote numbers GREW!!!!

--------------------

Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 14 posted January 18, 2004 10:56 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Psssssst....

Somebody welcome the new guy! [Smile]

Welcome DJ.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters