The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Eastern coyotes are a piece of cake (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Eastern coyotes are a piece of cake
Wiley E
Knows what it's all about
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 05:29 PM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
Hahaha! Relax, I was just kidding.

Now that I have your attention let's get analytical about the differences between calling coyotes in one area and calling coyotes in another.

Whew, I finally got through that 8 page Eastern Coyote thread. Interesting reading!

Gerald, nice to see ya stopping by and sharing your experiences.

I will make the theme of that Eastern Coyote thread the basis for my coyote calling lecture here. Yes, unfortunately, it's going to be a lecture and hopefully when I get done you will understand why.

Through the years I have had the privelage to exchange information with coyote hunters and coyote trappers nationwide and it's been interesting to say the least. The part that always interests me the most is learning about the different calling and trapping circumstances from one area to the next. I'm absolutely fascinated with it because learning those differences from one state to the next can help you become more successful from one area to the next within a state.

One thing that remains fairly consistant with these conversations is that over 95% of these guys try to paint the world based on their own experiences and their unique circumstances for their particular areas . Their advise may not be worth anything under different circumstances in a different area at a different time.

I have to share a story here to illustrate what I am talking about. An ADC trapper from Eastern South Dakota, with a lot of western coyote trapping experince, was having trouble finding coyote dens East of the Missouri River. He called up an old coyote denner from Wyoming to try to get some advice. The advice he received was, "just get in a dry wash and look for tracks going both ways". LOL! Upon receiving this advice, my friend walked over to his window scratching his head as he gazed at the endless fields of corn. "DRY WASH"??? "What the hell is a DRY WASH in Huron S.D."??? We still laugh about that but it should make the point that advise is only as good as the understanding of it's correct application.

In my many conversations with Coyote hands across the nation, I have only found a few coyote men with enough coyote savy to consider the variables from one area to the next when giving advice. One of the most knowledgeable coyote hands I ever met, answered a question with, "well, what I have found with my coyotes in my area is...." Another always answered with,"well that depends on whether or not......"

Now that is the voice of experience. Recognize it!

Again, the advice you receive from anyone about coyote calling may OR MAY NOT be applicable to your area and your circumstances so consider that.

Everyone is dealt a certain hand for their area and they have to learn how to play with those cards.

What I want to cover here is helping you to identify the problems for your particular areas. I know this sounds simple and condescending but you can't believe how many callers are trying to find the solutions to the coyote calling problems they are experiencing when they haven't even identified the problems.

I don't care who you are or where you are from someday, somehow coyotes will pull your pants down to your ankles and make a complete ass out of you and they may do it for an extended period of time. Unfortunately for the guys in "MOST" places in the East, this happens a lot more in than it does in "MOST" places out west.

The most experienced coyote men that I know are confident but not arrogant. Arrogance is a coyote hunter's worst enemy because when you start thinking you have coyotes figured out in one area, you are in for a rude awakening in another.

The old cliche' that a "coyote is a coyote" can certainly rub some folks the wrong way and understandably so. That statement is true from the point of a coyote's natural instincts for survival. These survival instincts remain the same no matter where coyotes are found but every coyote modifies it's behavior to fit their environment.

For those of you in "MOST" places in the East that are looking for the silver bullet advice that will lead you to killing the numbers that some of us have taken in "MANY" ares of the West, it's not going to happen. You have been dealt a different hand than we have.

Anyone that would compare coyote numbers from one area to the other without knowing the variables between those areas is only showing his ignorance to the experienced coyote man. Certainly big numbers are impressive but they require big numbers and they are relative to the coyote population they came from.

To illustrate my point, look no further than the numbers of coyotes taken in the major coyote calling contests in the East and compare them to the west and compare those to the South West. That is probably the best proof you will ever find that the circumstances simply are not the same. You can only compare the numbers you take to someone who is calling with those exact same circumstances.

Ok, for the meat and potatoes, to get you thinking about solutions, let's identify the variables or problems that exist from one geographic area to the next. This is in no particular order of prioritization.

1. Coyote population in the area.

This sounds so simple doesn't it? You cannot believe how many callers are calling coyotes that aren't even there.

This also influences whether or not they respond to howling more than just vocally.

2. Age distribution of that population.

This remains fairly consistant but it certainly can be a factor. Knowing whether or not you are dealing with pups or adults can determine what sounds may bring you more success than others.

3. Topography

Flat country is difficult because it's difficult to get in calling position without being spotted. Mountainous and hilly country can be difficult because coyotes may be laying up in an area where they can see your approach. Like a ol' mule deer buck, they lay where they can see what they cannot smell.

I was calling near the San Juan river by the 4 corners monument. We were on a stand overlooking the San Juan. Looked like an excellent stand. I hadn't been calling long when I heard a coyote barking at me. I looked up on the high rocky hills above me and there they were. 3 little statues looking down at me as if to say, "what the hell are those idiots doing". PANTS PULLED DOWN!

Based on the pictures I have seen, I would bet this is major problem in Krusty's area.

4. Vegetation and cover.

This is a huge variable. Whether it be the Pinon Junipers of Mexico, the Sage of Wyoming, the Soapweeds of the Sandhills, the deciduos forests of Pennsylvania, or the mesquite of West Texas, if coyotes have cover, they are going to use it to varying degrees.

5. Water

Coyotes have to have it wherever they are. If it's not there, they won't be there.

6. Calling pressure.

This can have a major impact on the sounds you need to use.

7. Big game and bird hunting pressure.

Coyotes that get moved around a lot become nocturnal in their movements.

Know how coyotes are getting around in Chicago? RAILROAD TRACKS! Think about that! Long corridor going in and out of the cities. Nobody bothers them there either. Shelter always close at hand with railroad cars to duck under and around.

Coyotes learn to play the cards they have been dealt too.

8. Prey availability.

This can be a factor at times although I don't have it real high on the list.

9. Human disturbance.

Roads, houses, fields, traffic, all influence coyote movement and behavior.

Huge factor!

10. Dog disturbance.

If a coyote gets run all over hell every time he howls do you think he'll eventually learn to shut up? You bet they will and they do.

CONDITIONED RESPONSE!

There's the basics. Carry on Coyote Commandos!

Ah come on, you didn't expect me to solve the problems for you too did you???

Let's ID the problems first shall we?

What's the problems that you are dealing with?

~SH~

[ March 23, 2005, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: Wiley E ]

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 06:06 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If a coyote gets run all over hell every time he howls do you think he'll eventually learn to shut up? You bet they will and they do.

Amen!

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 06:27 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see you around WileyE. It's about time. I was going to come to Belle and see what you had to say, but lacked the time, as usual. Great Post!

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 06:37 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

Good stuff. Thanks.

For the sake of discussion, I'll throw a problem that I, and my fellow coyote compadres, deal with every year - dog wagons. Refer to #'s 7, 9, and 10.

You can tell to the day when the dog wagons become active around here. When you have trucks and ATV's running thru every pocket of available bit of cover as many as three or four days a week, responses become all but zero. Often, I'll move into areas where the wagons can't go, but those are few and far between. As you stated, it takes them about a half-hour to go completely nocturnal and I swear the bitches are teaching this behavior to their pups because this past year, we saw only one pair of coyotes in the light of day that weren't responding to a call, and they bugged out as soon as they saw us. There are plenty of them around as evidenced by tracks and late nite vocalizations, but they sure aren't showing themselves in the light of day. And, we can't call at night. I've tried everything I know to do to make magic happen to no avail, and I've seen some pretty danged good callers around here blank as well.

Any suggestions from you or anyone else for this problem would be well worth my trying this next season. I'm open to suggestions.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
slug0
PAKMAN
Member # 455

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 07:03 PM      Profile for slug0           Edit/Delete Post 
Good lecture Wiley E I think you nailed it pretty good. I have hunted the coyote in the west a little and in the east a little more.They are the same except for size,and the fact that the eastern dogs have the advantage of terrain and vegetation working in there favor.Also there are fewer coyotes and more people.We have been dealt a sorry hand indeed,I guess we will just have to become better players
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 07:29 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Huntmasters, Slug0. Glad to have you on board. My apologies for missing your first post.

Scott, the answer to the question is numbers. I don't believe there are enough coyotes in the east to sustain the number of hunters chasing them?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 08:05 PM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

You hit the nail on the head!

" There has to be coyotes there to call coyotes".

This is the #1 problem in the East. The coyote numbers are not here like they are in the West. There are pockets of coyotes and areas that hold coyotes, but there not everywere you go. You haft to find them! They also have big home ranges, and may cross many small farms. And you haft to be were the coyotes are at that time to call them in.

Very well put! Great post!

Brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls
http://www.keescalls.com

Posts: 295 | From: Southern Ohio | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 10:12 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Brent,

Haven't you heard the line "I know there are coyotes here, my neighbors, cousins, buddy heard them howling one night last fall"

That's what keeps so many call makers in business. If the coyotes don't respond, it must be because the wrong call was being used.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheHuntedOne
Member # 623

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 10:14 PM      Profile for TheHuntedOne   Author's Homepage   Email TheHuntedOne         Edit/Delete Post 
I think our coyote population here in New Hampshire is larger than many people believe, but not as large as some would have you believe.

We are blessed with snow. One full day of walking an area after a fresh snowfall will tell you more about the coyotes in your area than a years worth of running and gunning by the seat of your pants. It'll also show you where the prey animals are.

Our topography ranges from what we call "mountains" to fields and wood lots. Vegitation is a mix of deciduous trees with spruce, hemlock, and white pine thrown into the mix, mostly old growth forest.

Plenty of water, not much calling presure, but it is getting more popular, and a lot of human disturbance in the form of mountain bikers in the summer, to snow machine riders and cross country skiiers in the winter.

The eastern cottontail is now protected in a large portion of the state, snow shoe hares are abundant in the north, deer herd is small, turkey population is growing. It's not a suppermarket for the coyotes. They have to work to eat I think.

Big Game hunting is deer hunting here. 3 months of bow, with a little over a month of deer, so there are big game hunters in the woods from mid September to mid December, with the majority between the last week of October and the first week of December. Small game hunting is not as popular, but there are a few out and about during the same time frame.

No dog disturbances to really speak of.

In my experience, the major problem for many of the coyote hunters here in New Hampshire is that they don't scout, and they don't pay attention to how they get to or from an area.

What works for me many times is to actually stalk into an area to call. It may take awhile, but if I am only going to get a limited number of opportunities I want to make the most of them by not alerting everything in the woods that I am out and about. I use the deer hunters trick of keeping a turkey call in my mouth when moving trough the woods. If I make a nosie I will give a few clucks or a cackles and stay still for a bit. I walk the edges of fields, not across them, and I move slowly when in the timber. My goal is to get into the area I am going to call without letting them know I am there before I let them know where I am by calling.

Hunting out of tree stands with an E caller helps me to be able to pick them up better in the early fall also.

I don't think hunting coyotes in the east is as tough as we make it on ourselves. I think woodsmanship is very important. We may not have 9 coyotes per square mile, but if you do your homework, you should be hunting in an area that has at least one family group living in it.

One tip on locating coyotes that has worked for me in New Hampshire is that everytime I am out driving around and see one of those homemade posters about a lost cat or dog, I make a note of it, especially if it is a small dog and the poster is in a subdivision that is bordered by or close to land that is undeveloped. I try and take a walk on that land after a snow fall. It has yeilded me many a place to call that I might not have found otherwise.

Al

--------------------
The On Line Resource For Custom Call Makers

THO Game Calls

Posts: 266 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2005 12:17 AM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Wiley E. Thank you for the post. It is informative on many levels. I personally had never given any consideration to the age of the animals that I call to other than the time of year that I’m calling. I have always just given them a year for each month that they survive after August. LOL

My biggest problem is my own ignorance. Where are the coyotes and when are they there and why? Then, how will they react to the pressure that I put on them once I start getting closer to what is going on? Then the confidence factor comes into play, I have a long way to go before I can look at the area around the north and south ends of the big salty puddle and say there are coyotes here and I can call them. All stuff I have to learn by putting time in the field, failing sometimes, getting lucky others.

Lance those two coyotes have to be the same two coyotes that I saw in Kansas while I was there. I have been thinking a lot about that stretch of the trip. It is hard not to overanalyze it after having our pants around our ankles like that. Although we could, it would be too easy to blame the weather.

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2005 12:22 AM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

I have heard that line a 1000 times! Hey all is good I will sell them as many calls as they want but I like to see them kill something with them!..lol

THO...Good to see ya over here! You said it though...You scout! And find the coyotes, most people dont. They think you can go out and set down in the woods, (as long as the winds right) and blow a call and they should run over ya! There just are not enough coyotes here yet to be able to go out and just cold call. If you find them you can kill them. I think finding the coyotes is the main reason some eastern caller fail. Then there set ups would be next.

Brent

[ March 24, 2005, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: keekee ]

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2005 05:32 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, is the Chicago study completed? Do you have the dissertation?
IP: Logged
Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2005 07:34 AM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Good lecture Scott, Thanks.

The one thing I have found that successfull Easterns callers have in comon is that they are not just good callers, but good hunters as well. They pay attention to details and put the pieces of the puzzle together. A guy hunting in areas with lots of coyotes can safely assume that where ever he sits and blows a call that a coyote will be within ear shot. Not so in the East, not by a long shot in some areas. The amount of pressure on the Eastern coyote is also a factor, but I feel it is often overstated. If you have done your home work, set up correctly and give him the opportunity he will respond just like his Western cousin. Just don't expect him to come from a mile away. As THO said you have to sneak in sometimes. Earlier this year I was hunting a small piece of property just outside of Gladewater Texas (Far East Texas). Lots of houses and small properties ranging mostly from 2-maybe 10 acres. Right amoungst this is a 80 acre piece of property. This property is very thick and hilly. The dry oak leaves and briars makes slipping in very difficult. We made two stands on this place with out any takers. Then I moved closer to the one corner I felt my calls hadn't reached and within seconds had a double coming (One was jet black, got video [Big Grin] ). My point is these coyotes probably had not even heard my previous calling efforts, and I don't call softly. I say this because of how quickly they responded when they did hear it. When hunting some places in the West I can cast my sound to coyotes a mile away in all directions and have them respond. This ain't happening in most of the East. Even if they could hear it their would be so many obsticles and exposer to danger in the way they would probably not bother to come that mile. So, the way I see the West compared to the East as it pertains to calling coyotes is this. A Western caller is calling further distances on larger tracts of land, at larger populations of less spooky coyotes. The Eastern caller is calling shorter distances on small tracts of land at spookier coyotes that may or may not be there at that paricular time. Western callers can afford to make a few mistakes because of the terrain and number of coyotes they have to deal with. Eastern callers, if they want to be successfull can not afford to make any mistakes if they want to succeed. I enjoy the challenge of hunting souped up, persecuted, spooky coyotes but they are pretty much still just a coyote and coyotes come to calls East and West. Heres something else for you Western callers to think about. Imagine having your large tracks of public property divided up into 20-100 acres tracks and having access to the best calling spots denied. Then go driving out through the country only to see pickups parked on the weekends at the entrance to these properties all through deer season. We all have obsticles East and West, but isn't this challenge why we do it?

I hear it all the time, "YEAH, BUT, our coyotes are different" [Mad] No they ain't. Still just an OPORTUNISTIC coyote, and given the opportunity, he will weigh the cost, loss ratio and come dicideing on which way it falls. Just make it easy for him and he will come, almost every time. (Diclaimer-IF HE IS THERE [Big Grin] . THE FIRST TIME [Big Grin] ).

I often wonder how many coyotes are called in the East and West that are never seen. I'll be willing to bet that it happens more in the thicker stuff. This is another reason you can't make many mistakes in the East. They are tough to call the second time.

Thanks again Scott. This is one of my favorite subjects.

Byron

[ March 24, 2005, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: Byron South ]

--------------------
"Coming to the Call" predator hunting videos. Volumes I, II, III and IV. Order two or more and pay no S&H www.comingtothecall.com

Posts: 313 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2005 04:49 PM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,

Hi! Haven't seen anything in print yet on the Chicago Study.

THO: "One full day of walking an area after a fresh snowfall will tell you more about the coyotes in your area than a years worth of running and gunning by the seat of your pants. It'll also show you where the prey animals are."

Excellent advice!

You get a gold star for that one. LOL!

THO: "What works for me many times is to actually stalk into an area to call."

Another gold star.

Try this Easterners. Go to a somewhat undisturbed area that you know has coyotes.

Talk to the landowners ahead of time and ask them to take special note of where they are hearing the coyotes howl as the yard lights are coming on. I'm assuming they are vocal in your area which may not be the case. Where they are howling as the yard lights are coming on is where they are more than likely spending the day.

Where they howl at during the middle of the night doesn't tell you anything other than there is coyotes in the area.

If you can, slip out there yourself some evening as the yard lights are coming on and locate them yourselves.

With the knowledge of where the coyotes are spending their day, plan your calling stand accordingly making sure you can get into your stand without being seen, heard or smelled by stalking into the area like THO recommended.

For this method to be effective, you either need a partner or you need a remote caller.

As an example, let's say that you are on an East West Road and the area you believe the coyotes are staying in is to the E about 1 mile and a about 1/2 mile S of the road.

To the west of those coyotes is a small open meadow with scattered brush piles or bales or some other obstruction to hide the caller.

This meadow is surrounded with timber.

Lets say you have a North West wind.

Walk in the timber on the West side of the meadow to where you can barely see into the meadow and circle to the SW corner of the meadow.

At this point, you need to walk towards an obstruction out in the meadow and place the caller or your calling partner who will be doing the calling.

The shooter needs to be straight downwind of the caller, just inside the timber where you can barely see out into the meadow. This is the point that the coyotes will more than likely circle to. It's as close to a guarantee as you will get with coyotes. You may even consider a portable tree stand for the shooter if the cover is too thick.

It's assumed that the coyotes are straight East of the caller.

When the caller in the meadow starts calling what do think most coyotes will do? Most will not come direct, most will circle downwind just inside the timber to where they are concealed but to where they can see out into the meadow.

By making it easy for them to circle downwind of the caller, most will.

That's where the shooter be.

POP FLOP!

"DID YA GET EM BOB?"

"YUP" came the reply!

This is the type of strategy that is required to deal with the problems of calling Eastern Coyotes. It's no different in the Mountain country.

You have to understand and work with their natural behavior.

It's just like training horses. You make the right thing easy for them.

~SH~

[ March 24, 2005, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Wiley E ]

Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2005 07:16 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Where they are howling as the yard lights are coming on is where they are more than likely spending the day.

Where they howl at during the middle of the night doesn't tell you anything other than there is coyotes in the area.

If you can, slip out there yourself some evening as the yard lights are coming on and locate them yourselves.

With the knowledge of where the coyotes are spending their day, plan your calling stand accordingly making sure you can get into your stand without being seen, heard or smelled by stalking into the area like THO recommended

I agree, if you can get them them to talk, dusk is by far and away the best time to locate coyotes. Wiley E didn't mention this,but I find there's no need to get out early the next morning to get setup. The last thing you need is that the coyotes are not yet home and possibly coming in from your back side.

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2005 05:02 AM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
Greenside: "Wiley E didn't mention this,but I find there's no need to get out early the next morning to get setup. The last thing you need is that the coyotes are not yet home and possibly coming in from your back side."

Another "gold star".

I have killed far more coyotes between 8A and 10A Mountain than I have ever killed at any other time of day.

~SH~

Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 08:50 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Wiley your last name got to be coyote....I agree with all you said...I bet all the other fellers do to.
Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 10:01 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Huntmasters, Melvyn, Glad to have you on board.

As far as the comment about the success between 8 and 10 AM, I can go along with that, but I'm not sure what's going on, in addition. In other words, it seems to me that something is changing, weather wise, when I notice a mid morning eagarness to come to the call.

However, a guy like Higgins is almost manic about making that first stand at the crack of dawn, and has told me that he feels it is by far the most productive of the day, for him. Or most reliable...something like that?

I go along with that too, as far as a goal. I want to be there, and have superb confidence in that predawn setup. However, I think, in the first three hours, it's all good.

Actually, the time that sticks in my head is 9:30. Everything before 9:30 is great, and anything past 9:30 is not as good.....depending on specific conditions, of course.

For example, a light snow or drizzle, 9:30 is meaningless. As long as the conditions stay the same, the action should continue, as well.

Sometimes, maybe the coyotes like to sleep in, if it's bitterly cold? Might explain seeing a good response between 8&10 A.M. and not before?

Has nothing to do with it, but fish; like trout, can be the same way. Sometimes not? Some lakes in the High Sierras, the bite at first light can be a bit disappointing.

Good hunting. LB

[ April 06, 2005, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2005 02:06 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Leonard for the welcome...I,m more than happy to be here with a great bunch of fellow coyote and predator callers..Trappers and dog men to.

I have been reading some of the questions and replies on calling the eastern coyote and would like to tell about a couple hunts i was on here in pa.

Before i go into the two hunts..I want you guys know that i use mouth calls only and i am very good at howling coyotes in and calling them in with predator calls.....I should, i make my own calls and i use calls made by other manufactures.
When you make calls you get plenty of practice.

Sorry....I don't sale calls

Just to be good with a call doesn't mean your gone to put fur on the stretcher...Boy did i learn that one fast!!Set up means just as much or more here in the east.

So with that said lets get started with hunt no.1

I made a setup on game lands in the mountains not far from my home...I sat in the woods just off the dirt road.Across the road from me was a long narrow feeder field and from where i sat it was roughly 40 yards across before it broke into heavy timber.I knew there was a small pond just to my left and inside the thick brush and timber.Well i reached into my leather pouch and pulled one of my howlers out and left loose with a couple good young male howls and you probably guessed it..I got an answere not from one coyote but two!I figured the one had to be female cause it shut up.That male dog was mouthy and coming fast and darned if he didn't stop just inside the timber about ten yards from the field.Well i used about all the coyote language i knew and he was throwing a lot back to me...I tried everything i knew in coyote language and some i didn't know that he was using...This coyote was only about 50 yards from just inside the brush at the other side of the field.Now some may not believe this but this coyote stayed there for almost 1/12 hours with me and i never seen him once.He would go back and forth inside the timber but never step out so i could take a shot.

My question is...Have any of you ever had a coyote stay that long with you?

OH yes i tried puppy whimpers and distress...rabbit distress to
In the end i had to leave this coyote
All this began in early morning

Well fellas i better skip story no.2 Might get kicked out of here..Tell it another day

Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2005 02:11 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys that was 11/2 hours with that coyote
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2005 06:16 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
That's normal territorial defensive behavior. I run out of battery and or tape and have to break it off before the coyote is ready fairly often. It keeps you coming back for more.
IP: Logged
keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2005 10:30 PM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
Same here I filmed one this year for 60 min, it was just inside the tree line from were I was set up. Was about 100 yards from me from me, walking back and forth just inside the tree line. I worked him and howled back and forth with him for 60 min. Had to change the tape and the battery.

Finally, I went to some puppy howls, and a adult answer....then strait to the puppy wines, cry and destress. They "yes" they, two coyotes broke from the tree line and ran right to me. The other coyote had never made a sound the hole time, and never moved until the first coyote headed in to the call. My shooter missed! Oh well! Sometimes its worth sticking out! And made great footage!

Brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls

Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2005 08:50 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe you are right about that teratorial behavior Rich.I just never experienced it before

The fellas back here just didn't seem to believe that a coyote would stick around that long.Sorta gets a little frustating after a while not seeing it.I'm glad to hear from you and keekee getting the same experience.Now i got some fodder to show those disbelievers it does happen.

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2005 06:50 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin,

In the vast majority of instances, the reason they don't believe a coyote will stick around that long is because they're in such a big hurry to kill it. Most guys froth at the mouth as soon as they see one coming in and can't just wait for the shot opportunity. I, too, have had them stay around, in the open in my case , so long that the battery went dead and I had to slip away when he wasn't looking. And, yes, it's amazing to see an animal that seems to be so damned smart, be so damned gullible.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2005 07:49 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got them to hang around several times too. But not for a camera, I was just waiting for a good shot. I made a bet a few years ago that I could kill 10 coyotes with 10 shots, using 15 grain Bergers in my 17 Remington. Getting a coyote to hold his head still long enough to shoot isn't always easy.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters