The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Taking of multiple coyotes? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Taking of multiple coyotes?
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 11:57 AM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Just looking for a new topic, maybe you all have discussed this before?

When multiple coyotes are coming to the call how do you handle it?

Are you most of the time shooting the closest and easiest?

Trying to shoot a male, female first?

Do you blare away trying to hit the rest running away or wait for a standing shot if terrain allows?

What do ya do to get them to stop?

Recreational callers, contest callers and ADC callers are all going to be different.I have my opionions what's yours?

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
nd coyote killer
HUNTMASTER PRO STAFF
Member # 40

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 12:31 PM      Profile for nd coyote killer           Edit/Delete Post 
In the past i have always let the lead coyote get into shotgun range and then dump the back coyote so that the clean up shots are in close range with the shotgun. Or at least that is how its suppose to work [Big Grin]

Steve Allen of ND brought a good point to me in a conversation on this topic. He always shoots the first coyote so the back one has something visual to think about. It makes sense in the fact the if you shoot the back coyote the lead one only has the sound of the rifle to go and CAN be hard to call back in.

In a contest i always take the sure kill. the one in the hand is better then two in the bush thing.

ADC work shoot the coyote that is working the dogs the least (least aggressive) or if they are both aggressive shoot the bitch IF you can tell.

To stop them i have always just barked

--------------------
"Sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim" - Bear Claw

Posts: 385 | From: On a hill | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Knows what it's all about
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 12:33 PM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
I try to keep the group bunched up as much as possible on their way in. Howling in combination with distress calls helps that situation as opposed to creating a race to the chow line.

Secondly, I try to get the furthest animal within gun range and wait for the closest animal to be within shotgun or easy running rifle shot range (50 - 75 yards in front of me with enough area for a good running shot or two). Once the far animal is within gun range I'll stop it and take it and take the close coyote on the run.

I pack a shotgun during competition hunts for hard charging multiples. If that doesn't work, I'll switch over to missles.

If that doesn't work, I'll just range the coyote for you and tell you how much to allow for the wind and you can shoot it just like before. LOL!

Like Jr. says, "RANGE, DIAL, AND SMILE".

To stop them I'll usually bark and/or wave a dark object depending on habitat. I usually try to leave my face exposed which stops them in their tracks. LOL!

Disclaimer: This information is not intended for Smithers as he already knows all of this.

~SH~

[ April 05, 2007, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: Wiley E ]

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 12:37 PM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
ND,

I do the same thing as Steve Allen if they are tight and for the same reasons. Rolling a coyote up in front of another coyote can at times confuse the follower or followers.

~SH~

[ April 05, 2007, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Wiley E ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 12:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give you another reason why I take the close in chip shot. Broken cover, such as we have in many parts of Arizona, not only can a coyote miss the action happening in front of him, because he is intermitantly blocked out, but they both might not not be visible at the same time? A big consideration is that they (both) can be out of sight in a flash, so if you take out the back animal, the close in animal is gone before you even get a chance to reacquire. This game is a lot different than the wide open prairies. I don't think it is ever wrong to take the lead animal, regardless of other considerations.

Now, in places where visibility is not a factor, I play each situation on it's own merits, no hard and fast rule.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 01:14 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I'm going to try and put a picuture with what I do, these three coyotes laying in the wheat ground in front of the flowers were part of a four pack that came in out of that flower field.

This was an extremely tight area to work, An oil road 200 yards behind me, a gravel road 200 yards to my left,only about 125 yards of open country to shoot in.

They all rolled out pretty much together and I let them come to about 40 yards in front of me, about the where the grass starts in the bottom of the photo.I looked for an adult, no A on it's forehead or anything just based on size it was the one on the far right hanging behind all the rest. I shot him first, it turned out to be the old male, next target was the one in the middle as she stopped to look at Pa, YOY female, third was the one on the far left a running shot before he, YOY male, got to the flowers, fourth one, 10 more yards of cover and it was in trouble.

In this timeframe I like to take adults if possible, I like to put the YOY in a where did mom or dad go panic. They tend to stop and call back if needed. It's not always easy to determine the adults but mannerisms, size will give you a good idea.

-

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 01:33 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Tight country or at night I take the lead every time. Open country, which I don't get to that often. I definitely try for the trailer first. Not being a crack shot I have a slim chance of stopping the first inside 125.
I yell, "Hey! Stop or i'll shoot"

IP: Logged
canine
Member # 687

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 02:08 PM      Profile for canine   Email canine         Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, where are all the houses and major highways?? LOL

I don’t have a set rule for doubles during breeding season. Usually go with the situation, generally I try and take the less aggressive coyote first. The follower I guess you’d call it. I have found that the more aggressive coyote is easier to get stopped for a shot at him or her. The best sound I have found for stopping that coyote is coyote distress on my power howler. Several times I have even got them to come back closer with a threat howl.

We don’t get many doubles here in Ohio other than early fall when the YOY and parents are still together and breeding season. For the early season hunts with multiples I’ll shoot the YOY first then go for the older coyotes with vocals. Seems to work good that way for me here.

JD

--------------------
Hunting The East "back to Basic's" Part 1

Posts: 162 | From: ohio | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dan Carey
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 02:39 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I shoot a lot of coyotes in multiple shot conditions. I think it's important to watch the coyotes. And carefully picking the shots goes a long ways in helping to get more than one of them. When I can, I always shoot the one furthermost from me. I know the closer one is a lot easier to make a hit on. But, I try to work them so the closer one is running in the open, after the shot is made on the farther out one. Some days are better than others.

[ April 08, 2007, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Dan Carey ]

IP: Logged
Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 02:46 PM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
Randy,

You used decoy dogs on this triple correct?

~SH~

Randy Roede
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 03:00 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
No Scott, no dogs!!

--------------------

Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 03:04 PM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not?

Dogs may have allowed you to kill all four.

WT?

~SH~

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 03:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Dogs? We don't need no stinkin' dogs!

edit: Now, who else would criticize killing three out of four, but Brother Scott?

[ April 05, 2007, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 03:24 PM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
Who was criticizing a triple brother Leonard?

I simply asked the question why Randy didn't use his decoy dogs on this stand since it's obviously summer time.

If you don't think decoy dogs will increase your percentages on adult coyotes in group situations like this Leonard you are mistaken. I have killed 5 of 6 with decoy dogs and I wouldn't have touched that percentage without them.

~SH~

[ April 05, 2007, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Wiley E ]

Randy Roede
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 03:26 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard your right!!

Scott,I was just looking back in my journal and was also working beaver also so guessing that was the reason.My dog box takes up most of the box and I'll bet I had it full of beaver equipment.

This chunk of my area I was working that day was mostly coyotes out of row crops, 6 of the 8 killed came out of row crops.

Dogs would have been great but just didn't have them that day.As we've talked dogs in some of my country don't always improve your odds.

--------------------

Randy Roede
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 03:28 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Forgot Bro, big ten four on the WT!!!

--------------------

Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 03:33 PM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
What was Leonard right about Randy?

That you don't need no stinkin dogs or that you believe I was criticizing your triple?

Great job on the triple without dogs pard!

I was just curious why you didn't use them and you answered.

Everyone seems a little punchy today. Must be the weather.

~SH~

[ April 05, 2007, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Wiley E ]

Randy Roede
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 03:47 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Dog no dog, this scenario like Scott stated wouldn't have happened without the dog. The five coyotes all came from one stand with the old male takin first a YOY second , Momma third, a YOY on top of momma fourth,another YOY on top of momma fifth, the momma showed three fetal scars so I'm pretty sure we got the whole works. The dog was a huge asset.

-

--------------------

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 03:50 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
These days i don't see alot of multables, a double once in a while but mostly singles. The area i call is pretty rough so i take the one that gives me the best shot. I stop them with a bark or wave my hand. As of late most of the coyotes come sneaking in and i work them the best i can to get them to exspose themself and then try to take him out..

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 03:54 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would work best to try to get them all in a line and then use a really big gun like a .458 and get them all with one shot.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 03:55 PM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
Bet the cattle loved eating that bale.

Hahaha! Just kidding!

Don't want you to think Leonard's right about criticizing a triple let alone a 5 stand.

~SH~

Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 03:59 PM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's time to tell you guys that it's really been a privelage working with high quality men like Randy Roede and his calling partner Brent VanderLey. They are both top notch coyote killers from all standpoints (calling, trapping, snaring, M-44s, and aerial hunting). I'm really proud to be a part of such a talented team of coyote killers. We live the good life.

Still wonder how those cows are going to like that bale. Oh well, they need some to lay on too right? LOL!

~SH~

tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 05:24 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
I typically take the first one in. If I have one 50 yards farther out, but I can shoot it without adjusting my hold on sticks or bipod, I will take that shot. If they are all grouped up I shoot the largest. I stop them with the following sounds in sequence until one works: lip squeek, bark, howl, hand wave. After the shot I go to ki-yi's and hope for a stand and look back. If I think they are heavily pressured or I forgot to get my call in a handy place, I will try a running shot.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
George Ackley
Member # 898

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 05:26 PM      Profile for George Ackley   Email George Ackley         Edit/Delete Post 
I try not to think to much [Big Grin]
So if there is more then one target running in,
I just set the cross hairs on the lead dog and fire, then just start in at the rest [Smile]
What ever target I pick up in my cross hairs next is the one i bust the primer on [Big Grin]

Let the body's hit the floor

[ April 05, 2007, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: George Ackley ]

Posts: 465 | From: PHILA . PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 09:45 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know Scott the producer was right there when we took the picture,in fact he helped me get them to stay up on the bale, I had a seasonal ride along that day also and the producer never even brought that up!In fact old Eldon's only comments were that he was sure those were the ones. He had told me about this group when we drove in and included himself as well he should in the whole event. Never underestimate landowner information.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters