The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » "Call shy" coyotes (Page 10)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11 

Author Topic: "Call shy" coyotes
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2010 09:03 AM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
After reading this thread front to back I really have nothing to offer on the topic. Nearly every angle has been opined, repeated, rebutted, and reinforced. Not necessarily in that order. For the most part, a very stimulating exchange. Something common for this part of the World Wide Web.

At this point, the only thing I feel compelled to share is a quote read some ~45 years ago that has really stuck with me over the years because it remains timelessly relevant.

From Lucy Van Pelt, of Peanuts fame: "You know, if you were half as smart as you think you are, you wouldn't think you were so smart."

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2010 11:12 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are these coyotes that wait til dark to approach exhibiting a learned behavior attributed to being 'call shy'? Or is this just the cautious nature of an adult coyote, akin to a big buck waiting to enter a crop field after dark?
Here it has to do with the comfort level of each coyote.. In one section you can have a coyote that will just step out of the cover and stand there and then go down the road aways and have another just bust out into the open heading for the sound.
Right now I'm dealing with deep snow and the coyotes will just come up out of the cover and pace back and fourth and not wanting to go out into the deep snow...
We got a good crust last nite and the coyotes where moveing most everywhere so now the calling should pick up in the next couple of nights if visability is good...

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5120 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2010 12:29 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's surprisingly profound, jimbo. I like it.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31542 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2010 03:20 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously Leonard, I was impressed with it as well to have packed it around for this long. It can be applied in sooo many instances.

Also obvious that it sailed harmlessly over it's intended target, just as I suspected it would. One of those things in life you can pretty much count on.

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2010 03:25 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are refering to me, I paid no attension to it. I thought you were talking about Leonard. [Wink]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2010 03:29 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Too funny!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

jimanaz
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2010 03:48 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
SCORE!! Chalk one up for Mr. Coyote. Kudos, Tim.
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2010 04:20 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL.. Sorry Leonard..

Jim I know we have bumped heads before in the past and I was'nt looking to bust youre balls things just happened. I heard that you are a good caller in youre area and even call better than Paul M. ( just yanking the chain Paul)so for whats its worth you have my respect.
Now I have to get to the store before it closes to get some more popcorn.. [Wink]

--------------------

Wily E
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2010 06:45 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
I can remember a number of negative coyote responses to various calling techniques but some really stand out over the others. I can remember another particular coyote that was "call shy", "caller shy", "calling shy", or whatever you would like to call it.

Typical call stand set up. I had walked in 2 miles. Everything was right. Saw coyote come to quarter mile from west and kept running in a big circle until it was 1/4 mile east. It never stopped running. I saw what was happening when it wouldn't stop so I grabbed my shooting sticks and rifle and ran to the top of the hill behind me only to watch coyote ass run over the hill to the east (downwind).

Now stop and consider this coyote's behavior in comparison to the coyotes that ran to the top of the hill and started warning barking. This particular coyote was interested in the sound enough to circle 1/4 mile downwind on a dead run but was shy enough not to committ without knowing first.

Later found out the local flavor had been calling this area repeatedly. Situations like this are becoming more frequent every day.

I have absolutely no doubts that coyotes can differentiate between what is real and what is reproduced once they start looking for those differences after a few bad experiences. Seen too many observations of coyote behavior to think otherwise. I was just curious if anyone else had reasons for believing the same thing.

In these discussions, I have always tried to consider and list the many variables that affect coyote behavior that change from place to place and time to time in order to have a meaningful discussion on coyote behavior that also changes from place to place and time to time. With all those variables considered, when pressed, coyotes can differentiate sounds far better than most would like to give them credit for.

In the legitimate livestock protection business, we don't deal with the new crop of coyotes, we deal with the old crop which tends to taint our perspective. In contrast, recreational callers just go look for another spot in hopes of better success.

There is reasons for coyote behavior. Sometimes we figure it out and a lot of times we don't but there is reasons for everything they do even if that happens to be a need for rest or simply uninterested.

Knockem: "Are these coyotes that wait til dark to approach exhibiting a learned behavior attributed to being 'call shy'? Or is this just the cautious nature of an adult coyote, akin to a big buck waiting to enter a crop field after dark?"

Don't know what qualifies as a "pro" but I'll give you my thoughts. With any increase in human activity that relates to negative experiences for coyotes, you will find an increase in nocturnal movements. We see a lot of that in Eastern SD. The Hollywood type coyotes are the opposite end of the spectrum. They're not bothered by much and they are totally surrounded with human activity. Since that human activity rarely poses a threat, they move around as they will.

~SH~

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2010 08:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, it works inversely as well.

In areas where there is a lot of night time spotlighting, like (the usual suspects) recreational Utes flashing the Nevada blacktops, you see extremely light shy coyotes, and have much better responses on daylight stands.

This is not normal, these Charley Browns create the situation.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2010 02:22 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim - In your video, what were those coyotes looking at? A parked car, a house, ...? They weren't acting call shy. They saw something that kept them from coming out into that field.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 08:36 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
tlbradford,

Do ya think maybe the coyote saw some guy over there rotating a speaker 360 degrees? Nah, a coyote would never see that. [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 09:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, I know that I speak for many wanting to know exactly how you handle your stand. We need video, and you need a partner filming you from a safe distance.

I would like to see your set up, and using the speaker over your head and the 360 sweeps, and where you put it when you eventually sit down, and how much time elapses before you sit down?

All in favor, say AYE!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

tlbradford
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 12:32 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't AR Shaw put up an interview with Tim that told all about his methods?

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 02:04 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Didn't AR Shaw put up an interview with Tim that told all about his methods?

How would AR Shaw know anything about my methods.
He only saw me hold the caller up once while we were in a catus patch and setting up on the low ground which I never give to the coyote. Since I was'nt driveing I did'nt have much choice for stand selection...

quote:
Tim, I know that I speak for many wanting to know exactly how you handle your stand. We need video, and you need a partner filming you from a safe distance.

I would like to see your set up, and using the speaker over your head and the 360 sweeps, and where you put it when you eventually sit down, and how much time elapses before you sit down?

Like I have said time over time I don't hold the caller over my head, except for the time in NM. due to the cactus patch. But also to my understanding there are hunters down that way that call standing up with some sort of backing so whats the diff.'s.
You've hunted with Scott and seen how he sets up, I do it the same way. Nothing magical just have to read the land and have a understanding of how the coyotes come in in this type of area..
I'm not standing when I work the caller from side to side, thats just some nonsense that Cronk imbedded into everyone's head.
Leonard if you are sitting at youre desk just pick up youre coffee cup with youre left hand and point it to the left and then move it to the right and sit it down or move it back to the left and set it down on youre left side. Not much movement and the coyotes see nothing..
Its not rocket science, just something I do to insure the sound gets out there. You can look at some of the old vidio's where the coyotes come in from the side but work there way to the front of the caller. (thats the magic)
I know when you call at night you do the same so you can get the coyotes to look right at you when they come in, makes it easey to see there eye's. Right???
Well thats what I also want, I don't want coyotes hanging up behind some structure or bushes,out in front and in the open thats what I want.. Game over for them.

My numbers have gone up every year if there are coyote around to begin with, and because of the way I choose my stands and how the coyotes come in I don't miss many either, just the way it is..
Go back and read my posts and try to understand what I was saying and then go read Cal.s post, he does a better job of explaining it but you will see that we are both on the same page..OK

[ December 30, 2010, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

tlbradford
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 02:31 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
I pulled a Krusty and went back and found the interview. TA will be here for the Q&A session following the video.

TA Podcast

Tim - What were those coyotes looking at in your video.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 02:47 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tim - What were those coyotes looking at in your video.

Don't know for sure as they could'nt tell me. [Big Grin]

--------------------

tlbradford
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 03:06 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
So what was your point in posting those videos if you can't answer simple questions about the stand and the coyotes behavior?

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 03:18 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They weren't acting call shy.
Well then that rules out the f-p being used in my area or any other type of calls.
A friend saw the vidio and noticed something about them, was just checking to see if anyone else could spot it..

--------------------

Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 14 posted December 30, 2010 03:37 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
TA "It's not rocket science."

It's not any kind of science, it's called speculation.

Krusty  -

[ December 30, 2010, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
tlbradford
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 04:19 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the guy that spotted "something" one of the "crew", who is probably circling the coyotes in his pick-up to push them off the private property so you can shoot them?

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 07:56 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is the guy that spotted "something" one of the "crew", who is probably circling the coyotes in his pick-up to push them off the private property so you can shoot them?

As usual you are wrong again. The person that took notice is a member on this site ..Not as bright as you thought you were.. [Roll Eyes]
The property and deer yard are in the middle of a 1/4 section, which is ajoined to a 2 1/2 mile section. The road in the vidio is on the left side of screen out of view and a little more than a 1/4 of a mile from my stand... The deer yard is located in the S-E quarter and the coyotes are on the northside of the grove and I was north of them sitting against a terrace. [Big Grin]

--------------------

tlbradford
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 08:05 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
I admit I should have put a big (sarcasm) next to my previous statement. I'll further admit that I blame myself for getting into this discussion about a video that has no bearing whatsoever on the topic, and is not even a tangent that is somewhat useful to anybody. I'm going to go watch football and try to forget how dumb I am am to get suckered into this conversation.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 08:17 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I admit I should have put a big (sarcasm) next to my previous statement. I'll further admit that I blame myself for getting into this discussion about a video that has no bearing whatsoever on the topic, and is not even a tangent that is somewhat useful to anybody. I'm going to go watch football and try to forget how dumb I am am to get suckered into this conversation.

The topic is call shy coyotes thats what the vidio was showing or seemed to show..
If you could read a coyotes body lauguage even just a little bit maybe you could catch on to what I was asking.. You did'nt get suckered in, you showed up on purpose just to take a few cheap shots but it backfired on ya.. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 08:50 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Member of this site? Would have to be AR Shaw. What do I win?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters