The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » "Call shy" coyotes (Page 11)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11 

Author Topic: "Call shy" coyotes
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 09:16 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
No Leonard... R.R. was the one that noticed something about the coyotes and perhaps why they did'nt respond to the call at first.....

[ December 30, 2010, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 09:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well shit! Even I noticed they were blue!

Okay, okay! What's the big secret?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 09:58 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The topic is call shy coyotes thats what the vidio was showing or seemed to show..
If you could read a coyotes body lauguage even just a little bit maybe you could catch on to what I was asking.. You did'nt get suckered in, you showed up on purpose just to take a few cheap shots but it backfired on ya..

I can read coyote body language and I can tell you the main two things those coyotes are thinking. 1) I don't want to cross a wide open field to investigate that sound, and 2) there is something a lot more interesting to them off to your left. Nothing backfired, you weren't providing any information and I allowed myself to try to engage you in the hopes that you would provide all of us some useful tidbit.

The video, and your description of the layout of the land, is not showing call shy coyotes. It shows a poorly thought out stand location.

[ December 31, 2010, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: tlbradford ]

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2010 03:41 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Okay, okay! What's the big secret?
Yes what's the secret TA? [Confused]

Tell us!

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2010 08:01 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
TA IMO, I don't think you are dealing with call shy coyote in that video. It appears to me the issue is territorial and you should be asking yourself who defends territory and who assits in defending territory?

That to me was a classic assembly taking place and when the alpha(s) showed up with a brief retreat to core area you probably were going to have all of them in your lap.

It probably made little difference to them at the time on which calls you were throwing at them, you just had to occasionally let them know you were a coyote because they were thinking 4 against 1 makes alot more sense than a 1 on 1.

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2010 08:35 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Greenside is on to something. I didn't "study" the video and didn't know there was going to be a snap quiz. I watched with bored detachment, as is usually the case with Tim's videos. (note to Tim: see how video is spelled?)

But. Although I'm tempted to go back and review it, I will resist the impulse. For now, relying on vague recollections, still, all I can come up with is they were blue and milling around and it didn't hold my interest past the first half minute, or so.

Whatever RR may have noticed, I think Dennis is on to something.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2010 10:23 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
TA IMO, I don't think you are dealing with call shy coyote in that video. It appears to me the issue is territorial and you should be asking yourself who defends territory and who assits in defending territory?

That to me was a classic assembly taking place and when the alpha(s) showed up with a brief retreat to core area you probably were going to have all of them in your lap.

It probably made little difference to them at the time on which calls you were throwing at them, you just had to occasionally let them know you were a coyote because they were thinking 4 against 1 makes alot more sense than a 1 on 1.

Dennis: "BINGO"

I noticed this as well when the two coyotes(YOY) kept looking to the left and then the other two coyotes showed up which changed the tempo of the game a little.

tlbradford: I had only access to the land north of where the coyotes were,so thats were I had to make my stand and try to pull them out into the open field and hope they would come close enough and over the fence line so I could get a shot at them.. If you would go to my oringanal post you will find that I had to stop the video and consentrate on the job at hand and try to pull the coyotes out from there core area to where I was set up. After some time one of the 4 responded and the other 3 followed suite and I got one of the four which turned out to be a male weighing 36 pounds....
Anyway thanks Dennis you got a good eye.. [Wink]

--------------------

Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2010 01:05 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The video, and your description of the layout of the land, is not showing call shy coyotes. It shows a poorly thought out stand location
I"m going to disagree on the poorly thought out stand selection or location.

That's a pretty typical midwest or farm country setup. Stay back away from the cover and setup in crop stubble or what ever and get them out in open where you can get them killed. You noticed TA was far enough back that the coyote couldn't make him out even though they had plenty of time to spot him. He must of blended in real good.

Sometimes it even better if you can't see that edge of cover which might give them a chance to spot you, Then what happens is they have to come out in order to find you and the first thing you are going to see is a pair of ears.

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
tlbradford
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2010 03:12 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
He put fur on the ground, so it was a good stand. I retract my statement. When you are judging what he is doing from a 30 yard swath of video it is tough to judge. I'll chalk that up to a cheap shot at Tim on my part, and apologize. I still would like to know what the coyotes were so focused on. The road? The deer lot (Is that a deer farm)? TA's answer left me with more questions than answers.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2010 03:35 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe that's a local colloquialism, meaning deer yard; a place where deer spend the winter, waiting for the bus? I haven't been to Minneesota since I was twelve, but they talk a little funny, sorta like Canadians. Car lot, parking lot, walleyes, deer lot? Don't make much sense but they seem to understand each other and never seem to get tired of knotty pine?

Good hunting. LB

PS It just dawned on me! He dresses like Paul Bunyon!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2010 05:39 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
PS It just dawned on me! He dresses like Paul Bunyon!
LOL. Leonard

Actually I don't live far enough north for that. We dress basicly normal here, no dew rags on our head or around our necks. Not sure what thats about other than haveing it for just incase someone decides to rob a bank or groc. store..

DEER yard; A place where deer gather to, to spend the winter..Finish up on breeding for those that did'nt get bred the first time. A safe place for them from hunters and Pred.'s..

knotty pine; Pine tree's. Don't have them in the area I live in, found mostly in the northern half of state..
WE have mostly cottonwood tree's and plum brush, with some walnut, oak, and ash scattered about.
Where I live it used to be prarie before it was settled and as the settlers started to move in to take up ranching and farming they were required to plant a certain amount of tree's on there new home-stead. They are called wood-lots, tree claims,wind breaks and so on, depends on who you ask...

tlbradford: The deer yard is a home-stead (farm site with buildings)The big bunch of tree's you see is what we call a grove, not sure of how many acres it is but its pretty big for my area, as most are smaller in size. Some farmers are in the habit to farm every inch of there land so there will be fewer tree's..
The coyotes were focused on the two that came from the left and possably a deer that I did'nt see. There was a road to there left a little over a 1/4 mile away with no traffic I could see, but there is also some hog barns across the road and maybe the farmer was there checking on the hogs, don't know...

Edit to add:: I don't always hunt with the crew due to some have to go remove snow or do some jobs around the house. I have areas I set aside just for calling and don't let the guys in these areas till later in the season or none at all..
I find calling a challenge as well as hunting them and enjoy doing it both ways...

[ December 31, 2010, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

tlbradford
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2010 08:09 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
So are these deer yards, like the feeding stations that we have here in Washington for elk. Does your game department protect these areas from all hunting and feed them through the winter? Or is "deer lot" just a term for any random place a herd is located during the winter?

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2010 08:41 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I can only speak for the ones in my area, farther up north there is a big deer yard but I think its protected, but not sure..

As for the deer yard in the video its just a piece of private ground where the land owner dose'nt allow hunting.. The deer know this and as soon as the combines hit the fields the deer head for this piece of land for safety and then stay all winter.. Other places in my area the deer are bunched up down in creek or river bottoms or by a lake where hunting is limited to just a few hunters and there is cover and food for them for the winter..

Here is another vid. of the same deer yard. I had the deer patterned so I knew where they would be feeding later in the day and through-out the nite.. I parked my truck by the hog barns on the east side of the road and then went into a field and layed down and waited for them with the cam..
At the start you will see the big deer by the corner of the Grove this is the same area where two of the coyotes came from in other vid. I'm east of grove faceing west by N-W

[URL=[IMG]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/TA17Rem/Wildlife/th_ BigBuck11_24_2009_175843.jpg[/IMG]][/URL]

The next vid. you will get a better picture of the size of the area. I'm set up on the fenceline that is N-W of the deer yard (grove)
About the middle of the vid. you will see a lone deer, this is where the coyotes were at the time I filmed them..
[URL=[IMG]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/TA17Rem/Wildlife/th_bigbuckclip.j pg[/IMG]][/URL]

--------------------

tlbradford
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2010 10:52 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
Gotcha, I should have called my relatives in Mazeppa to translate.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters