The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Arizona Coyotes......... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Arizona Coyotes.........
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2004 07:19 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to welcome DJ in Az. also.
This is Danny J., a member of Phoenix Varmint Callers Inc.. He and his son are the team to beat at the club hunts. DJ will be a real asset to the forum.
Welcome Danny.

IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Knows what it's all about
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2004 08:07 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Cdog911,
After all the good stuff that I have seen out of you, I was shocked to see the coyote season wish. But Arizona would be somewhere where there is enough suburban and urban population to get a season limiting law passed. And maybe the populations are that low that they need some protection. I'm not there so I don't know the situation. I'm fairly sure that mentioning a coyote season thats not 24/7/365 in Wyoming is a hanging offense.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2004 10:06 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Danny J welcome, Don't pay to much attention to all these guys talking there stuff, they just talking to be talking lol. To be honest, Bruce and I just know how to stir to old pot and kinda make things happen. J/K, we do that alot too. Again, welcome and I know you'll have fun if your like the rest of those crazy Arizona guys, [Big Grin] [Wink] Good Hunting

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2004 11:00 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Krusty.

Welcome to the New Huntmasters, DJ. Glad to have you on board.

I wrote a welcome, but it's a long story. Sufice to say, I'm using a different computer.

In the case of lions in California, we were subjected to the big lie. Bunny huggers whined about all the death and carnage. Sport hunters killed about 75 lions, the last year it was legal.

The latest figures I have heard, the State of California paid out money to professional hunters on depredation permits, resulting in 200+ dead lions.

Bunny huggers are okay with that, because it was necessary, and it removed the element of sport hunting. They don't want us to enjoy the blood sport, but it's fine, if somebody does a necessary job.

Who's being taken for a ride, here?

Bobcat tags. Used to be able to get them out of the same can that held the license and deer tags. Then later, I had to drive to drive to Long Beach or apply by mail. Now, you had better plan ahead, because you will be waiting on the bureaucracy taking their sweet time in returning those tags. And, you only get five. Or if you like; take the test and apply for a trapping permit costing one hundred dollars.

No, I'm against it.

I'm sure some of you have heard how we wound up with total protection for kit fox? There was some buzz or concern about numbers being down, and in an effort to disprove it, a couple of predator hunters took a couple Fish and Game people out on a hunt. I heard that they showed them over 50 kit fox, and killed a number of them. The result was that they feared extinction because they were so susceptible to calling. That's what I call backfiring; the law of unintended consequences.

Can't happen with coyotes? Don't bet on it.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31480 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hawkeye
Member # 216

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2004 11:10 AM      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye         Edit/Delete Post 
I havent noticed a difference in the population I have killed fewer than last year at this time but I havent been out nearly as much. Do any of you AZ guys know the results of the 3 club hunt that took place saturday.
Posts: 71 | From: Tucson,AZ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2004 11:48 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Hawkeye, Tyler and I were surprised at the number of vehicles at the check in. More than fifty. Only thirty nine animals total were turned in. PVCI turned in one bobcat, four fox, and fifteen coyotes, or about one half of the total. Mesa turned in one bobcat two fox and seven coyotes. Tucson did a little less. Points went 225 to Phoenix. 125 to Mesa and 90 to Tucson.
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2004 07:15 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the coyote population densities, Steve Craig has the handle on it. Drought is the primary culprit. Coyotes have moved to developed areas and agricultural areas, where the water is. Water means cover , rodents, birds all of which attracts coyotes. Coyotes are becoming more urbanized, or at least suburbanized. They make their nocturnal rounds hitting pet food left out and sometimes the pets. Jim Wegge was the Az G&F enforcement officer for unit 20B until his retirement last year. He told me that two years ago he found six active dens in a one mile stretch along a dirt bank canal that runs along the north side of Peoria and Sun City. I asked him how the coyotes sort out the territory issues when they are concentrated like that. He answered that he believes that during times of climatic stress the coyotes become more tolerant of the presence of others. Coyotes are still living year round on the golf courses and denning in the cement culverts that drain the courses. They are denning in the washes that bisect residential developements. I see more in the city limits than I do out in the desert.
So many callers are competing for the ones in legal shooting areas that we're stumbling over and into each other.
An interesting counterpoint, Leroy Jarulawisc spent nine days around Safford hunting javelina. He said javelina numbers were way down from previous years, Az F&G told him parvo was working them over. He says he did see tons of coyotes though. May have to go see.

Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2004 07:29 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,

Been there, killed them.

There are no coyotes left in the Safford area.

Tim

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters