The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Eastern coyotes are a piece of cake (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Eastern coyotes are a piece of cake
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2005 09:05 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Their comfort level or perceived threat level also determines how long they will remain and the level of emotion they display.
Last Sat. I took a member of the club calling to the camera. On the first stand a mature male came in fast head down. He saw my profile and veered to his left around the crest of the hill I was set up on and toward my Bronco. I continued on the howler and he began to answer. We crawled to the crest of the hill and got the camera on him as he stood and bark howled in sight of the truck. After a time he continued past the truck across our downwind and onto a ridge 125 yards out where he continued to howl and bark. After another ten minutes I got up and did a solo ugly cow on it and it let me get within 50 or so yards before the wind changed and it disappeared over the ridge. I walked back and turned off the camera and talked to Mark about what he just saw and the coyote appeared in the same spot again and started barking.
We left, set up at another location up in the boulders and had two males come in during the second series.They began bark howling about 30 yards out. After a couple of minutes the older coyote walked over to the shade of a boulder and lifted his leg on a clump and the two continued to barkhowl. A few minutes later the other coyote joined the first, marked on the clump and stood in the shade and barked as the older coyote walked 20 yards to his left and sat down. He would occasionally howl while the other coyote barkhowled constantly. Soon the old one laid down and would occasionally lift his nose and force out a halfass little threat howl. He just wasn't as emotionally involved. When the tape and the battery both ended we stood up and so did the coyotes. They walked together to another clump and marked it, stood and looked at us as we stood in plain sight and talked about what just happened. They slowly walked away to their right stopping and looking us over every few feet. No barking or howling. It took them five minutes to get out of sight. I do this kind of thing alot and still think it is very cool. It was a first for Mark.

IP: Logged
CBGC
Knows what it's all about
Member # 643

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 04:39 PM      Profile for CBGC   Author's Homepage   Email CBGC         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my first post here and I would like to say hello. I would also like to say I have never hunted coyotes west of PA so it is hard for me to compare hunting them.

I know they are genetically a different animal, DNA tests prove this. The coyote bred with the grey wolf in Canada on its push back east and thus you have the canis latrans var. Many people use the Mississippi river as the dividing line for east vs west, this is incorrect. Many furbearing scientist and biologist use the Ohio valley as the dividing line. The eastern coyote moved above the great lakes and down. I am not an expert on this matter but I have done a little reading on it. One book that I highly recommend is the: Eastern Coyote The Story of Its Success By Gerry Parker. Once you pick this book up it is very hard to put down, you can find it at Amazon.com.

Like I said I have never hunted coyotes in the west so I cant say one is hard to hunt or not, but if I stood up on a coyote in PA, NY or VA like stated in the post above it would still be running!

--------------------
Save a Deer Shoot a Road Hunter!
http://www.CritterBuster.com

Posts: 46 | From: PA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 06:14 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Its good to see another Pa. sportsman join up...I agree,our coyotes don't seem to stick around like there western brothern...But then most of our encounters with eastern coyotes are usualy much closer and usualy there is thick vegetation for them to duck into...Where upon the western coyote can be seen at longer distances...There is no question that they are harder to call in and see here in pa.and cover plays as one of the biggest factors...canis latrans var as called by scientific name is one smart animal...Maybe the grey wolf plays a part in it to
Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 06:44 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Naw, It's just like Scott said when he started this thread.

Them Easter coyotes are a piece of cake, To a real hunter. A coyote is a coyote is a coyote. I think the problem is there just isn't enough real hunters back East.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 07:02 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
You been eating to much mexican food Tim..LOL...Come give it a try...See if you can earn that peice of cake...One of the best western callers i personaly know spent over 2 weeks calling and went home without his cake...All this thick cover we have is a real tormenter...Northern part of the state is the place to go....more open timber
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 07:35 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What you trying to do, Tim? Start a war? We may know a coyote is a coyote, but easterners don't think so. Also, to blow your cover, (for those that don't know) Tim is recently from someplace back east, but in relation to the Ohio Valley, I don't know?

Let us just say that there is much differing opinion on eastern and western coyotes, and where they are located, and what sort of interbreeding they have engaged in.

Oh, BTW Welcome to the New Huntmasters, CBGC. Glad to have you on board. Feel free to include your "link" as part of your signature, if you like.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 07:54 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
So much misunderstanding here...these coyotes are no harder to call in than the western coyote...The difference is the cover..A coyote can circle and get the wind on you and without you knowing it...And something else...I lived in Sydney Nabraska...Know i blowed my cover
Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 08:22 PM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
call those eastern coyotes from a treestand... carry a climbing treestand... attach it to the tree and go for it... you will be able to see alot farther and reduce the run arounds.... there is a reason that most Eastern deer hunters hunt from a treestand....

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 08:37 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Norm i have never tried calling from a tree stand...I have killed deer from tree stands...I know some guys during the mosquito coyote hunt back here was using them...The guys in my area had no luck from tree stands...I don't use e callers and don't know if a coyote would respond to a rabbit up in a tree...Anyone who has used mouth calls from a tree with success?...I'm willing to give it a try
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 09:30 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I promise, they will respond to a rabbit in a tree. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 04:32 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I followed that other long thread and this one and gotta give my .02.

I dont know what you would consider where I live. Its midwest, so I dont know if thats really the eastern big woods, but its sure not Arizona. We have big woods, but also have alot of farm country. Smaller woodlots, fencerows and drainage ditches.

After hunting Arizona, for a limited time, but 95%+ of my time in Arizona was with Norm, a very good hunter, I gotta give this analogy. No doubt there are alot more coyotes in Cochise County than there are here. And when calling, I have no doubt seen coyotes on average stand to called coyote. But I still havent got the killing part down on those desert critters. I think the coyotes here are easier killed, as far as that goes.

For one, I think hunting pressure has something to do with it. There are alot of hardcore callers in that neck of the woods. Oh, theres plenty of space and animals, but they get hunted quite a bit. There are only a handfull of callers around this area, and most of them dont hardly hunt. But the biggest thing is the set ups. No matter how hard you try to set a stand according to the wind direction, terrain, ect.. you can seldom tell exactly how that coyotes gonna come in. Could be any angle, backdoor, anything. And shooting through that mesquite at a running coyote is a nightmare in itself. [Big Grin]

So, even though the numbers are considerable less here, Im not too sure they are not easier to kill here. Your not going to call as many on an average day. I have had some exceptional days that would be only above average to alot of you western guys. But setting the animal up for the kill is easier.

Although they will come any direcetion, I have he best luck calling a coyote downhill here. And, he will most definitely use any available cover. They do not like to cross the big open fields.

So, my favorite places to call, is where a ditch or fencerow comes off a hill to another bigger ditch or fencerow. At the top of the hill there will be a patch of woods or brush and alot of times, several drainages coming together. Set your stand where the call is at or near the juction of the two pieces of cover and, depending on the wind, set yourself on one side or the other at 50-75 yards. A piece of rabbit hide doesnt hurt anything dangling near the call. Now, that animal is not going to come across that field and catch you at a weird angle. If you read the terrain at all, since there are roads at least every mile, your not gonna get back doored. Your gonna put the coyote right where you want him. Most times, if they dont do it on their own, a bark or squeak will give you your standing 50- 75 yard broadside shot.

Its not always that simple and it seems to average for me 1 called coyote (not killed coyote) every 5-7 stands. Sometimes better.

The west has alot more coyotes, from what I have seen and you can call more animals in less stands than you can here, but the killing sure is alot tougher, for me anyway. Im not the best shot in the world to begin with. And its sure as hell easier to kill a standing broadside coyote at 50 yards than one running like a striped ass ape zig zaggin through the brush.

East or west easier? I like em both. [Smile]

Andy

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 09:20 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting perspective, and perhaps accurate? Never stepped foot in Missouri, myself, but I do consider it to be kinda, sorta; "eastern" in flavor.

Exactly what hardcore western area are you hunting; did you say? (just kidding)

Not only that, but when a "western" coyote romps in so eagarly, you may get one chance at a clear shot, and then again, maybe not. Never fear, there will be another one come along, in a moment.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 10:11 AM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
The statements a coyote is a coyote is a coyote is true and so is a dog is a dog is a dog!I suppose you could take a poodle and make a good coon dog out of it or a pitbull and make a fine bird pointer also.The eastern coyote is very well adapted to the thickets,cutoffs and forests.Coyotes in the east,as a rule are larger do to the fact"scientists claim"they bred with the canadian wolf and then working there way down through the new england states.Are these coyotes smarter?I Don't think so.but i do think there adaption to the inviroment here makes them a tougher animal to hunt.The difference in coyotes are probably not much different than the easter and western coyote hunters,we seem to be calmer and from the posts i read some western hunters "not all" are more rowdy.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 12:31 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, although you didn't ask for clarification: it is true that a coyote can be called from a tree stand.

Reason: Many hunters are starting to use ladders, out west, which gets them above the clutter. Coyotes are attracted, and shot.

Reason #2. I have hunted coyotes for well over three, going on four decades, from the roof of a vehicle, at night. They come in fine, no matter if the sound is coming from the ground, the road, or the roof of the camper.

No matter who you consider rowdy, or if they are just teasing, you should know that Tim is only about 10% western, having lived 90% of his life in Indiana.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 03:44 PM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
I have hunted and killed coyotes from tree stands. It doesnt bother them at all!

But let me say this, lugging a climbing tree stand around the woods and hills sucks! They get cought on everything and take a while to set up, plus you cant just climb any tree with them. Is it worth the effort? Not for me!

I went and built me a pod! Very light easy to move and get threw the woods, has a swivele seat and gun rest on top and sets 6' off the ground. I started using this when I was hunting strip mine land all the time, I couldnt see down in the tall grass cover and the coyotes were right in my face before I knew they were there. After I built this pod and hunted off of it for a year, I will never lug a tree stand around the woods!

Its also great in the woods and clear cuts, field edges and allows you to see better in places were the ridge crests or a point drops off fast. They work very well. I wouldnt lug this babby around on an all day hiking hunt but for the most part the way I hant it works great. They are also great for night hunting with the swivel chair or butt seat on top and the gun rest.

Also you may want to check your local regs on hunting fur bearing animals out of a tree stand some state are not legal.

Brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls
http://www.keescalls.com

Posts: 295 | From: Southern Ohio | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 04:00 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Hi C.B.G.C., welcome. I agree with your post with this exception,

"Like I said I have never hunted coyotes in the west so I cant say one is hard to hunt or not, but if I stood up on a coyote in PA, NY or VA like stated in the post above it would still be running!"

You really should do a little experimenting with misting before making such a blanket statement. Gain a little experience tweaking their brain with the mist and then post your results. It will be fun and interesting for all.
I will be videoing more hunts in Pa. this year for the video. If you are interested in participating shoot me an e-mail.

IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 04:32 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Hate Mail to GameCalls.net

Apparently someone doesn't like it that we promote hunting and sell game calls...

-Gary

Date: 23 Apr 2005 11:23:00 -0000

Subject: Your site is disgusting

The following information has been submitted from **************

I hope you go bankrupt....as bankrupt as your soul. It's disgusting and revolting how derelict of any compassion is in you. If there is such a thing as karma, you are in trouble. You'll come back as one of the poor animals you slaughter.

I tried to find a site that had the call of wolves in a natural settng and found you. Shame on you for what you do for a living. Just think, you could have been doing something positive for the world. And instead, you support death.

April 23, 2005
6:23:00 A.M. Central Time

I removed the name and address of this person but if you want to see it go to gamecalls.net chat forum

This is another person and another reason we all!West or east got to stick together even if we have our differences...I apoligize to anyone i have offended

Baldknobber
Member # 514

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 05:16 PM      Profile for Baldknobber   Email Baldknobber         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy L., where are you located in Mo.? I live near The towns of Mountain Grove and Cabool. Maybe we could meet sometime for a hunt.

Looking back on my first winter of calling I came to one conclusion awhile back. Each of the places that I killed a coyote this year, I had been to previously and knew where I was going to sit, or had prepared a place to sit. Everything was exactly right for what I wanted to do; wind, sun, time of day etc.. I am going to go and prepare places this summer where the spots were good this year, but things were just not quite right. Just trim limbs, add some background, or cut some small cedars and pile up for a blind. I'm hoping the little things will add up to bigger and better things this fall. That's my thoughts on evening the odds.

--------------------
JTBMO

Posts: 202 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lungbuster
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 05:51 PM      Profile for Lungbuster           Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Higgins,
You have e-mail.

Posts: 225 | From: Idaho | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lungbuster
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 06:48 PM      Profile for Lungbuster           Edit/Delete Post 
Brent,
Do you have a pic of that Pod? I'd be interested to see it. I agree with you on the treestands. It adds about a half hour to every set, its just not worth it to me.

Posts: 225 | From: Idaho | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 06:49 PM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, Andy hunts that private piece of land north of I-10 and west of 193; San Carlos something; otherwise Tim and Victor have called em all.

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 07:08 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okey Dokey, Norm. [Wink]

Just keep out of my areas, eh?

I'd like to see a pic of that pod, also.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 03:06 PM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me look when I get home tonight and see if I have any pic's with the pod in them I know I got some video clips of us hunting off of it but dont know if I took any pic's...If I dont I will take a few!

Brent

[ April 27, 2005, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: keekee ]

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls
http://www.keescalls.com

Posts: 295 | From: Southern Ohio | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 06:12 PM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
your areas?? you mean over those dead cows laying out by the pecan trees??

I would not personally use a tree stand, It is just as an option.. I have a ladder for here in the creosote bushes... but I carried it to one stand and am not in a hurry to do it again... does it work... you bet...

later

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 3 posted April 27, 2005 08:10 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
I know its accurate, at least in my experience. I dont know that the coyotes are any different. But the terrain does definitely give some advantage to funneling the animal to where you want him, if you pay attention to your setup. And the ratio or stands to called coyotes is not as high either.

I aint gonna lie to ya. [Razz]

As for hardcore, I was talkin about callers. Hell, there are a pile of them that I know or know of personally in a realatively small area down there, and Im sure theres a bunch more I dont know. Ive lived here my whole life, so far, and I know theres not that many callers. And even less that have ever actually killed a coyote.

Baldknobber,
I live about 10 miles north of Lake of the Ozarks. Maybe this fall we can see about doing that. If I ever get caught up enough to go huntin that is. Seems to be a bigger problem all the time.

Norm,
I see nothing, hear nothing or say nothing. [Wink]

Andy

[ April 27, 2005, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: Andy L ]

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters