The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Still after the dogs? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Still after the dogs?
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 08:27 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Jason

Another coyote called into the open?

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 09:54 AM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, this one came out into a field to look for the fawn in distress sounds. He came through a fencerow and appeard instantly, standing in a muddy disked field at 100 yards.
Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Knows what it's all about
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 10:00 AM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
JRB

I see you got your hands on Larry's ebony fawn call.

That is one beautifull piece of work. I'm looking forward to getting a few myself.

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 10:53 AM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, it is a great little call. It didn't take me long to get the sounds I was after, real easy to blow. I have a couple of his calls already and a couple more sets on the way, definately the best calls in my cabinet.

I had a "No Rush" order in with him a couple weeks ago but once fawns started hitting the ground I really needed something fast, I called him up last week and he started turning a blank that minute. The next day he shipped this one out, two days later it hammered it's first coyote! I think he's taking a breather now since he knows I'm passified. Now he can spend some time with the wife/kids instead of tuning calls into a cellphone at all hours of the night for an impatient Hoosier. [Big Grin]

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 11:17 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
4 1/2 months to go here till they hear my call.Guess I'll satisfy my urges reading ya'alls stories of shooting hairless summertime coyotes.
But, like Leonard, Ive got a a dozen projects to keep me busy, fencing, stucco house,lay some carpet as well as perpetual mowing and watering of my place. Can't wait for october to get here.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 04:41 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Az,

Haven't you noticed? You don't have to mow anything that you don't water.

Just turn off the hose and cut your workload in half. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 07:36 PM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Took two more this evening, fawns should start dropping really hard next week... may run out of coyotes before then. [Big Grin]

-

-

EDIT: Oops, forgot to mention, these were NOT called into the open in case the mythbusters are keeping track.

[ May 23, 2005, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Jrbhunter ]

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2005 05:00 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
JRB,

What call are ya using? Both males?

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2005 06:21 AM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using a call that's pretty new on the market. The maker of these calls, known as Ridgeviewer online, is a good friend of mine. I often find that specific calls work best during certain seasons around here and right now is definitely a time for an open reed call that produces a good puppy whine and a fawn bleet. Ridge carved this one out for me in a hurry after I spotted our first fawn and I’ve been whacking coyotes with it ever since. In about six weeks I’ll ask Ridge to make me a open reed that is geared more towards vocalizations in the juvenile pitches, I think that will really work well as the pups start to mature.

Last weekend I stumbled into something that I think will make a remarkable coyote killing sound… I have plans to try it out later this week to verify but I think I may really be onto something. If so, Ridge and I will be testing tone boards over the phone again in the near future. [Wink]

On the coyotes, the biggest (Right) is a female... the first female I've taken since February. She's probably the mate to a male I took in the area last week.

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2005 06:56 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
JRB,

Thanks...I was sitting here guessing, perhaps, maybe you used those two. But wanted to know for sure. My foot is doing quite well. Looking forward to next Saturday to get out with 1dog.

I enjoy, watching him miss! LOL! Hoping to help out, that Dairy farmer some. He said the coyotes are thick [Cool] .

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2005 07:06 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
JRB, was the female lactating? Of the two sounds you were using which did she approach? Did she come in fast or slow?
IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2005 07:19 AM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The female was a spot and stalk... actually a spot and shoot. I was walking from the first stand to the second and saw her standing on the edge of a sinkhole. I had killed a male nearby last week so I assume she was tending to pups, didn't find any pups or a den in the area after I killed her though. She had no idea I was there, I probably could've called her in but adrenaline took over and I shot her where she stood.

The male came in fast to a fawn bleet, he just appeared out of nowhere like they often do. I was between calling series so he didn't know exactly where I was... if I had been in the middle of a series when he appeard he may have busted me because my setup wasn't all that great.

Edit: And she was lactating.

[ May 24, 2005, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: Jrbhunter ]

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2005 03:33 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Gonna finally get out today with 1dog & my "feral-cat" decoy. Taken my cheap-a$$ camera, maybe get a pic or two. If not, maybe just a hot barrel...whatever.
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2005 12:26 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we come up emty on 3-sets. But gained 3,000 acres to hunt on....COOL! [Smile]
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2005 07:35 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Coming up on my last wk of vacation. Gonna get out after the coyotes a couple of times. Before the crops get high.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters