The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Is anybody actually killing coyotes? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Is anybody actually killing coyotes?
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 05:55 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,
APC-- 100 pts.
XPCI--60 pts.
SAWC--40 pts
PVCI--20 pts.

IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 06:01 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, remind me of which Foxpro you have, so I know which black box to send with the CD.

I got out Saturday, for the first time in almost two months. Made six stands. This female came in exactly 35 seconds into the first stand of the morning, using the good old Utah Jack sound.

-

Second to the last stand of the day, I was able to kill this big old boy. He stretched my scale to 40 lb's even. A Big Coyote for our neck of the woods.

-

Spent 40 minutes on that stand exchanging insults with him using my Higgins howler. After he had been silent for five minutes, I fired up some pup distress on the Foxpro and he lit up again, only a lot closer this time and I was able to see him. He was dead very shortly afterward. Spent another 15 minutes exchanging insults with his widow, but she wouldn't show herself.

Just for grins, for anyone who might be really bored, here's a video clip of Tim killing the first one. We both used my .17 Predator, of course, and although Tim failed to get it on camera, the big one dropped just as cleanly as this one.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 09:33 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
DAA,

That's some great video. There hasn't been a KS coyote come in like that for a long time. Had his tail up there pretty well for a while.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 12:19 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn Dave, He was dead before God got the news.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 01:01 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dave! I’m on dial up and that clip was well worth the wait.
Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 02:27 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Coyote is right @ the top of the pic [center area].

Stalked in on this one. He was laying 1/2 mile out, [balled-up]. Sorry about the crappy pic[small viewfinder & old eyes]LOL!

Anyway, crawled to within 70'of him. He was still sleeping[here comes the sandman! LOL].
Right before I crank one off. Thought I'd make sure my muzzle cleared the last little rise.
Between him & I. Welllll, it "appeared so" [Roll Eyes]

Charlene's set-in for 600. So I had to do some crosshair adjusting. Aimed, KAWOOM!. Took the top of the rise off & made a crator under the coyote. Coyote flew a couple ft, straight up[I like that]. I guess I was off, a tad on my elevation, eh [Big Grin] .

He flew right by me flat-out 20' away, never seen me. Oh well, had fun regardless.

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bill
Member # 49

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 03:17 PM      Profile for Bill           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Rich. It looks like the XPCI had and effect on the score. Congratulations to APC.

Bill

Posts: 55 | From: Tucson | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 03:52 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
WOW, Dave! That video quality is awesome. You got right on that coyote. I wish getting on coyotes with a camera was as easy as with your scope. A good tripod and a super fluid head is just as important as the glass on your rifle. Great video! [Smile]

Do the old Foxpros have the capability of utilizing the Utah Jack? Some guy's baby girl gave me one a few years ago! [Big Grin]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 05:13 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, great video and pics thanks for sharing. 40 lbs! thats a big chunk of coyote. You ever killed one bigger?

Loco, I have the older FP and have DAA's "Utah Jack" on mine. FP can put the sound on for you. Big handshake to you Loco on the new addition to the family! I hope the wife is doing well.

I used the Utah Jack to kill a coyote yesterday. The first coyote came into the bulb squeaker. I spotted it while walking from the first stand to the second and I had to quickly hunker down and call from a not so good spot and luckily everything worked out. The second one several stands later came into the Utah Jack. Both males. One was a pretty big guy that had to be around 30 lbs.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 05:55 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, they certainly did. Plus there were some other changes as well. Tyler and I hunted for APC this year and I understand that one team arrived after checkin deadline with six coyotes. Must have had a heck of a long drive.
DJ in AZ
Member # 276

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 06:04 PM      Profile for DJ in AZ   Email DJ in AZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich ,
What club is XPCI? Also congrats to ACP . Missed the hunt, had to work. It seems like nothing going right lately -- Last club hunt we had 3 coyote's and 2 fox and what do I do -- get the damn truck stuck at 5:30 Sunday night in a wash.(down to the axles) Didn't get out til 7:30 , 2 hrs from check-in. Well , we'll try to get em' with the handguns and muzzle loaders in Feb.

Posts: 42 | From: Glendale AZ | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 06:52 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Big congrats on the cute new critter there Danny! Not sure if your Foxpro can use the black box to change sounds or not. Open it up and look under the battery tray. If there's a loose small 4 wire pigtail, then it will. Otherwise, you'll have to send it in to Foxpro to get the sounds changed.

Lonny, that is the second biggest one I've killed and weighed. A couple others I can think of "might" have been close, but did not weigh them so can't say for sure. The one in the foreground in the picture below is definitely the biggest I've ever got though. He weighed 44 lb's on the same scale. Killed him last year with my .17 Mach IV.

-

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 07:05 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
Since you asked...
I went out this weekend and got five, all one shot from the .17 Rem, all but one DRT and it made it 25 yards, 3 dogs, 2 bitches, and ... my first and second ever doubles in 20-25 years of calling! My best for a weekend before was 3. Had the Airdale and Healer help out, and glad I did.

Posts: 273 | From: Oregon rain forest | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 07:09 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
Two on Friday and three more on Sunday. First time I've ever used electronic vocalizations.

Sunday's three.
 -

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bill
Member # 49

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 07:25 PM      Profile for Bill           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich I talked with our Huntmaster and he had 3 coyotes but didn't go to the check in. Sounds like the PVC guys really had a bad day, they have overwhelmed the other clubs with many more teams in the past.

Bill

Posts: 55 | From: Tucson | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 07:32 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Brad;

You sure have pretty coyotes up there! Fat and furry,
Daves, look just as nice.....Im envious.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 08:56 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice trio of healthy looking coyotes Brad. Were you using vocalizations you recorded onto the e-call or sounds already on the caller?
Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 09:28 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
These were big coyotes. And much nicer than ones we've shot in the past at this time of year.

The sounds came with the caller, Lonny. The three in particular that I used most were the illustrious WT female howls. The less agressive ones.

All the howls seemed kinda dominant but they deserved a shot and got the job done none the less. It was fun and interesting watching some of those pairs come from well over a mile away. It gives a good idea of what might go on during the stands when you can't see that far.

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 06:16 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Dave great. Think what you could have done with a grown-up's gun. lol

Brad, did you use a WT?

Bill, PVCI still overwhelmed the other clubs with more teams. Two of the teams took one coyote each.

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 09:09 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,

Do those coyotes of Brad's look familiar? Note the slight rufus over the top of the muzzles, the white margins around the posterior ears with rufus interiors. Looks to me like Brad has been calling around those Kansas feedlots again. [Wink]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yellerdog
Member # 356

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 10:00 AM      Profile for Yellerdog   Email Yellerdog         Edit/Delete Post 
I shot this double on the Jan. 15th.
The male tipped the scales at 46 pounds.
Nasty stinkin' old coyote with half his teeth missing or broken and one side of his upper lip missing.
I haven't been out a lot, but this months off to a slow start other than these two. Called in coyotes on a couple of other stands but we failed to close the deal. [Mad]

The male
 -

Both of them
 -

--------------------
Lee Smith

Remember, we meet at dawn.

Posts: 59 | From: Southeastern Michigan | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 10:22 AM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I was down and out with my wisdom teeth for the first week of the month but I've picked it up since then... Since Jan 6th
 -
 -
 -
 -

Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 10:40 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey JRB, nice mess of coyotes. I saw them on your site before it stopped letting me lurk. Now it's requesting a login? I take it you don't like lurkers? Kind of hard for someone new to your site to see if they want to join if they can't read the posts isn't it?

Oh, and smile man, you're supposed to be having fun. [Big Grin]

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 10:41 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
January is T-shirt weather in Indiana? It's colder than that here.
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 11:24 AM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Was 72° on January 9th here Rich... been the warmest winter I can remember. I think we've set four or five daily record highs and an average temperatur record as well. We have only had one snow this winter and it didn't last but a couple days... very hard to put up fur or process game in weather like this.

Scruffy, we have had issues with starving artists lurkers... nothing against the common man, I just get tired of seeing our original material and photos stolen and placed on other sites in a different context for their benefit. Membership seems to have increased rapidly since the lock, but I still wish we could open it up.

I tell ya what, I'll give you a membership for free... just fill out the registration form and you're in. [Wink]

Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters