The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Down wind coyotes (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Down wind coyotes
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 03:12 PM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Would that be an English bait hook style "hook"?

I'm with Q above when it comes to the open ground and patches of cover found in much of IL. The most important thing to keep in mind here is what way the wind is coming from so you know how to approach a stand. In the more open areas of IL. you are typically calling to a specific area or point - the absolute last place you want that point to be is downwind of you. I'm fortunate in that my area of IL. is not stricktly limited to this flatlander approach - I'm right on the edge of an old glacier path and have some horrendous terrain features to a.) cope with, and b.) take advantage of.

Most of Mo. is more like Az., with even thicker ground cover in all but the deepest woods. Most of my middle Mo. coyote hunting might be considered "edge" hunting; edge in the context as used when talking about whitetail deer hunting. You might be calling a small field or pasture, surrounded by a wall of brush or woods. The cover is probably thicker than Az. on an average, you can usually either see a coyote or you can not. I've made the mistake (?) of passing on tough shots where one was headed downwind, disappeared from view before he should have ever gotten my scent, never to be seen again. 'Coarse I've not passed on some of those tough shots and the coyote has disappeared to never been seen again...

Hell, its been so long since I hunted a coyote I can't remember how...

Edit: I noticed Rich posted while I was typing... I hope I kinda said the same thing about Mo. hunting as he did....

[ May 24, 2006, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: JoeF ]

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 06:30 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Q & Rich thanks for the info i appreciate it. and the rest of you guys thanks.
One more question; does a persons scent decrease when the temp.s drop or does stay the same?

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5063 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 06:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
well, depends on humidity, a little bit, but if anything my opinion is that a coyote's nose is a bit improved in cold weather, versus dry hot weather.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 09:05 PM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, if your questions/comments here are in relation to the discussions you and I have had (Which they very closely resemble) you are fuzzing things up a little bit.

I do not shame anyone for calling with the wind at your back, don't say it's bad, I just question your theories on a coyote NOT BEING ABLE TO SMELL YOU. As I've said before, if you kill 10 coyotes using the theory that they cannot smell over 100 yards then you could've killed 50 using some proven coyote knowledge. Also the ones you kill at 100 yards downwind have smelled you... they just don't understand or don't care what you are when the bullet hits them.

And again... we've discussed it on this site and Midwest, I've yet to see anyone agree with the concept a coyotes nostrils become nothing more than airways when the temp drops below 32°. That's ludicrous at best.

Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Knows what it's all about
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 06:31 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
TA, IMHO as the temps drop the layers of clothing on my body increases. As the layers increase I'm guessing the level of my scent, to some extent atleast, drops. When it's hot out like last weekend and I'm wearing a tee-shirt I imagine the wind blows more of my stink downwind.

JRB, I don't know about everyone else, but when I call facing downwind my goal is to shoot the coyote before he hits my scent. I setup so the coyote is upwind of me (area of timber/crp/etc) when I start calling. I'm facing looking downwind because for that given spot I believe the coyote will loop around me and try to get downwind. Or I give him a "funnel" like a finger of timber on my crosswind side so he can get around me in the safety of cover. When he steps into the open to get to my wind, which is say a 50 to 100 yard walk for him, sometimes much more, depending on the lay of the land, it's time to bark and shoot. The only time a coyote on a stand setup like this gets in my wind is if he's running and I can't stop him by barking (likely educated and equates standing to being shot...) or I'm sleeping with my eyes open, staring off, thinking of something else, distracted, not paying attention, etc...

Sometimes the land lays such that I face looking into the wind when I call. Regardless of which way I'm facing I believe you need to have the coyotes upwind of you when you start calling.

later,
scruffy

[ May 25, 2006, 06:35 AM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 07:13 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
scruffy

quote:
I setup so the coyote is upwind of me (area of timber/crp/etc) when I start calling. I'm facing looking downwind because for that given spot I believe the coyote will loop around me and try to get downwind.
IMHO that belief is going to cost you alot of coyote. If you ask me, giving a coyote your backside with no consideration of a direct approach,into shooting range, is foolish.

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 08:20 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
well, shucks, don't sugar coat it, Dennis! [Smile]

Man, I don't care where a man sets up or how sure he is of the coyote's location. But, I need to at least have a view of downwind, if not for him, there is always another, near by.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 08:54 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
but Leonard, you're hunting on some 2 track, out in the midlle of the desert, where indeed coyotes could come from any direction. I'm not! [Smile]

Dennis

scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 09:26 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
scruffy

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I setup so the coyote is upwind of me (area of timber/crp/etc) when I start calling. I'm facing looking downwind because for that given spot I believe the coyote will loop around me and try to get downwind.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMHO that belief is going to cost you alot of coyote. If you ask me, giving a coyote your backside with no consideration of a direct approach,into shooting range, is foolish.

Dennis

Dennis, "for that spot" is the key word there. Without getting into the specifics (because I need pics to show you specifics and I don't have time for that right now, sorry) there are spots that I call that I know the coyote is much more likely to circle downwind than to come straight in. And some stands the coyote is much more likely to come straight in.

Alot has to do with my use of funnels, assuming coyotes would rather approach a call in the safety of cover than exposed out in the open. I use funnels to get the coyote where I want him to be and the distance I want him to be and have him positioned to walk out in the open to get to my downwind scent offering me a good distance broadside, and after I bark, standing shot. Depending on the lay of the land this has me sitting looking downwind, sometimes crosswind, sometimes looking into the wind.

If you ask me [Big Grin] , always calling into the wind without regard to how the coyote is going to use the terrain and land features to his advantage to approach the call will result in a lot of coyotes standing in your downwind scent looking at your backside as you blow the call into the wind. [Smile]

IMHO [Big Grin] , it's "foolish" not to use the terrain and his desire to get downwind against him. If you let him work the terrain to get to your downwind, solely concentrating on your "direct approach", you'll be missing alot of the smarter older and wiser "always circle downwind" coyotes.

In my experience it's usually the pups that come charging in from upwind, no regard for the wind or their well being, and I make adjustments for this behavior in my fall calling.

Know your enemy and use his advantages and tactics against him. [Wink]

Edit: Dennis, I think we're hunting different terrains also??? I hunted with someone from northern Iowa on Saturday and he said he'd never hunted in brush so thick, up in his part of Iowa it's flat and the "thick" areas aren't that thick and are far and few between. Down in my area nothing is flat, the "thick stuff" is so thick that you can't walk through it, thorns rip you up, both the 1/4" long thorns on bushes and the 4" long thorns on the different locust and hedge trees. Every time I head north I can't believe the difference. I'm not sure which I prefer though, both offer different challenges.

later,
scruffy

[ May 25, 2006, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 10:03 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
The areas that i call in are range units (pasture) with deep drainages and rolling hills and very short grass. On most days the coyotes are along the drainages and i call up wind into them. If i dont get a response then i call in all four directions. If i was to leap frog to another calling stands there would be a good chance they would possibly see me come in. Also when i do call down wind i also use some type of structure like the deep drainages. The coyotes usually come in on a cow trail off to one side from where i'm calling from but still down wind. The other thing i need to mention is i am only going to be there for a week at a time and i like to cover as much area as i can. So instead of makeing 4-5 stands in a unit i make two and call all four directions and then move on to next unit. If i run into some smarter coyotes that happen to wind me i then make a note of it and i come back to area on last day that i hunt there and come in from different direction. i use a lone howl or some other prey sound and try to get them. Last year i did pretty good i was able to convince three vetrine coyotes to come in to shooting distance. It took me anywhere from 45 min. to 1 1/2 to get them in but i got them. for some its proably no big deal but for me it was a challege.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5063 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
bigben
Member # 864

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 11:11 AM      Profile for bigben           Edit/Delete Post 
I am pretty new to the game but here is what I have done. it works and I do not have any problems with wind. I locate yotes with a siren. the next morning I go in so that they are upwind of my position. normally have a crosswind setup with the down wind to the left side of me. this has worked and I feel that is the best way. I seen the remark that you would not hunt a deer upwind of where he is going to go. no you do not but a lot of times you have deer just meandering through a area. yotes you actually are calling to you. the two yotes that I have called in using rabbit or prey distress seemed to head straight down wind. (could be pressure from fox hunters) the ones using howls and pup distress came rtight in and sat there. sometimes would only come to the field edge but all could have had a bullet in them. like I said I have only been in this game seriously for 2 yrs but I have called a lot more then I have killed for the simple fact that I wanted to learn more about what to do to get them back up again. take it for what it is worth. I know a lot of people on here have been in it for a while.
Posts: 54 | From: sc pa. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted May 25, 2006 12:22 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, at it for a while. One of these days we need to figure out how many total combined years of experience there is, on Huntmasters, or figure it, per member? Gotta be a fairly big number?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 12:31 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, Byron South just referred to Jay and me as "two very old guys" on PM. I really need another survey to reinforce that.
IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 12:46 PM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think Jay was that old? [Confused]

Just kidding [Wink] ! Old is a relative term, compared to my 11 month old I'm old. [Cool]

later,
scruffy

[ May 25, 2006, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 01:02 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Scruffy

No I'm probably hunting the same type of structure as you. Live in SE IA and at one time or another it wouldn't be unusal for me to end my day a 100 or 150 miles from home. Probably passed through your area before.

You call them funnels, I probably call them fingers or cuts and it makes sense not to get any deeper than the longest one prutuding from the cover. Have you ever considered that a coyote might not be using that funnel(finger) for cover? It might just be the path of least resistence. Easier to go around that thorn choked deep cut than it is to go through it.

Dennis

scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 01:40 PM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
I did a couple stands in your neck of the woods (state) at the end of the day saturday. I've seen alot of coyotes while driving hwy 34, on the 9 stands we did on Saturday we called in 0 coyotes (0 downwind 0 upwind 0 crosswind), over 40 cows (ruined a couple stands...), 1 farmer on 4 wheeler, couple deer, few squirrels, dozen crows, etc. Skunked on the day and needing to get back, on our way west on 34 we looked over and not 100 yards off the road is a coyote in a field. We looped around and drove back and watched him mouse, squeeked at him a bit, he was very confused... But it's always interesting watching them.

quote:
Have you ever considered that a coyote might not be using that funnel(finger) for cover? It might just be the path of least resistence. Easier to go around that thorn choked deep cut than it is to go through it.

I believe most coyotes take the path of least resistance. And most thorn choked deep cuts have deer trials through them. [Wink]

And I've seen coyotes walk the outside of timber fingers instead of walking through them. And I've seen them walk right across the middle of an open field. But the majority of them I've seen travel in cover when it's available (you'll see alot more coyotes traveling through cover when you setup to use farm creek crossings and such to catch circling coyotes [Wink] Without the crossing creating a break in the cover the coyote had to cross the coyote would likely never have been seen in the cover).

quote:
You call them funnels, I probably call them fingers or cuts and it makes sense not to get any deeper than the longest one prutuding from the cover.
Which is easier, looking at a sound source infront of you as you walk forward or looking at a sound source to your side and a little behind you as you walk forward? It's much easier to look ahead at the sound source as you walk forward. When the sound source is to your side and eventually over your shoulder you have to continually look back and forth, back at the sound source, then back infront of you as you walk. A coyote has to do the same thing when working through cover. He can't "lock on" because he has to watch where he's walking.

The less he's looking at you as he approaches the sound source the less likely he'll be to spot something out of place, a little movement, etc that will cause him to retreat or the very least not break cover.

On some stands I like to keep all the action in front of me and don't sit very deep. Other stands, based on the lay of the land, fences, cover, wind, etc I setup and call deeper than the end of the funnels.

It's different setting up when you know the coyote is coming from behind you, you might not like it, might keep looking over your shoulder, etc. Calling a coyote from behind you out around you isn't the best setup for alot of places, but some places it's the best way to call and get the coyote in the open without getting yourself busted in the process.

You know, we should go calling sometime I'm in your neck of the woods or your in mine. I'll take the downwind side and you can have the upwind side. It's perfect! [Big Grin]

later,
scruffy

[ May 25, 2006, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 01:45 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's perfect!
Yep, Always have liked fishing out of the front of the boat! [Wink]

Dennis

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 02:33 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
scruffy,

I think I kinda maybe have a handle of sorts on the position Dennis is taking in that I, too, must ask why you would give them your back when setting up with the wind in your ear in such a manner as to be able to monitor the route to your downwind is better? I hunt an area like you desribe and fully understand the challenges of not having mile upon mile of homogenous habitat structure from which a coyote could appear just about anywhere. As much as I would love to have the terrain and coyote numbers those areas boast, there are advantages to our types of areas as well. For instance, I can look out across a pocket of cover that may or may not be isolated from other cover, or if they are, it's often by brushy travel routes and corridors. Guessing where a coyote is bedded and how he may make his approach is pretty easy compared to the areas I've called out west. One of the big advantages of a set up like these is that the coyote is often at as much of a disadvantage as you are when it comes to setting up with a perfect wind and him using it to his advantage. Often times, I don't have the luxury of calling many of my regular spots with the wind in my face and the sun at my back. Rarely happens. But, I can setup on either side with a crosswind, giving me a 3 in 4 chance that I can work a setup while not at a total disdvantage (calling downwind) and still monitor what is often the only approach route a coyote can or will use. With our gridwork of traveled roadways, I even use those roads as funnels because few coyotes around here will go any closer to the roadway than they absolutely have to, and by forcing the coyote to move into open, coverless routes close to a road, you can easily re-route them to more secure/ more observable lanes of travel more to the center of each section of ground.

I guess my question is why don't you just turn 90-degrees and watch the up- and down-wind sides, making your approach via the side with the least likelihood of being used by an approaching coyote rathe than set yourself up for a backdoor 6 o'clock holy shit moment? Sounds like fun and it occasionally works for me, but I don't choose it when I have other options. Not trying to be antagonistic or call your method ineffective, but I am interested in how you make it work since you have had success with it.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 02:53 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I think your right Lance. I think I hunt alot the same kind of country as you and the Iowa boys do. At least it looked that way when I have been through your areas. I think we may have a bit of an advantage in being able to set up a coyote over the desert hunting. Not in numbers by any means, but I know I can tell with alot more certainty around here than I can in AZ where the coyotes coming from. Mainly because of the terrain and their tendency to use cover and the way the stand is set.

I hardly ever know, or guess right, where the hell they are coming from when I hunt out west. Well, sometimes.... [Wink]

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 03:25 PM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Dennis

That's my stance on a lot of the tactics I read online Dennis. I think in many cases the theory has either worked a couple times or they saw it in a Randall Anderson video. Nowadays we have some websites to perpetuate the vicious cycle of misinformation and mass hysteria:
Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 06:06 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a simple theory on all set ups, give the least amount of advantage to the coyote that you can for that particular stand. Use every thing you can at that particular place and time to your best advantage, not his. I never say never, and have called in coyotes downwind, but I don't like it and see no reason to give them that advantage if I don't have to.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 06:52 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Varmint Hunters sig line says it all. “make’em pay for the wind”

Don’t give it to them. LOL

Good hunting.

Q,

Posts: 617 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 08:06 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I no more than finished supper when young Matt called me on the cell and told me he'd heard of someone with coyotes causing them grief. I ran outside and looked to the heavens to see if there was a coyote silhouette being cast upon the clouds to call me to action, but,... nope. So, I called the name Matt got and asked the guy right up front. Yep, he said, two coyotes were coming up on his front porch and terrorizing his lab every night about 2 a.m.. Well, I felt obliged to do my part to fight terrorism, so Matt and I sweat our way into hunting gear and off we went. Nada. never fails. Not so much as a track.

Today, she dang neart hit a hundred and that was just the humidity. I got the itch to try again and called Matt. Nope, he'd been wrangled into helping another fella get his turkey. So, I John Wayned my way out into this big mile-square pasture where we both were pretty sure they might be denning. I just couldn't bring myself to scruffy it and call with the wind, so I traipsed my way in toward a big pond dam and sumbitch if I didn't jump a big coyote on the way in. I mean BIG. He jumped up outta the knee-high grass about five yards from me and I thought it was a doe, it was so big. No sooner had I saw him and he was gone. I went ahead and called a stand there and saw nothing but bugs.

Went around to the north side of the same pasture and walked in. Nice NW wind, about 2-5 mph. Walked in to the east and set up with my back against a nice cedar tree. Faced south, SE at first and just couldn't get myself to do it, so I turned about 60-degrees to the left so I could see the approach. Deep lone howls and female lone howls, couple of them, waited five minutes, then a low lone howl and short series of puppy squeals. Five minutes later, two coyotes are about 300 yards straight east of me moving south to get into my scent plume/ cone/ribbon/tetrahedron. They get down, make the hook and start their way in. At about 140, all I can see is ears and damned if they didn't catch a snootful and turn around. I quickly got on the trailer and launched an anti-terrorist device his way. Quartering away, left to right, running about 3/4 speed and no looking back. Broke his back smack-dab between the shoulder blades. Walked him off at about 165 yards, give or take.

-

First kill since adding the new glass and having the Howa bedded and pillared. Seems to have helped. My experience training hounds tells me that the very slight breeze, compounded with the high humidities we're experiencing, only enhanced my scent further downwind.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2006 07:51 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said earlier this topic is interesting to discuss and debate.But to say that calling with the wind at my back is costing me coyotes is utter nonsense and pure Bull**** plain and simple.Been having success this way for the last 20 years.I've heard all the stories of how coyotes have winded guys 2 miles away,and how some dogs can smell 1,000,000 times better than this or that.Coyotes naturally circle downwind and that's where I'm watching,VERY rarely do they wind me and if they do it is usually when they are within range anyway and I can sometimes still manage to get a shot at them anyway.So speaking of coyotes getting away,for all the wind in your face guys.How many coyotes are coming in behind you(downwind)that you never even see.LOL I hear the same thing with camo."You're losing coyotes if you are not fully camoed,especially your face".Says who? It's just someones opinion plain and simple.Very interesting disscussion and debate,but I don't put much stock in it.Good Hunting Chad
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2006 08:03 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just couldn't bring myself to scruffy it and call with the wind
LOL Lance, I thought I said I call with the coyotes upwind of me and sometimes, depending on the terrain, wind, structure, gut feeling, etc, setup facing downwind. Edit: good looking coyote!!! Love that Howa! It looks like it shoots as good as it looks. [Cool]

HEY JRB, look at the following and tell me what part of it "perpetuate the vicious cycle of misinformation and mass hysteria", a quote from you above agreeing with Dennis on one of my many tactics.

This is what I typed in my first post in this thread-

quote:
I try to setup with the coyotes upwind of me and setup where there is a "funnel" (might be what Q calls "structure"???) that funnels the coyote in the direction of my downwind side but requires him to expose himself long before actually getting into my downwind scent cone. Ideally I like setting up with a stand of timber or CRP to my upwind and a finger of timber or creek or something to my side that leads the coyotes from the upwind side to the crosswind side. With my downwind side a wide open field, pasture, etc the coyote that's at the end of the "funnel" 150 or so yards away must cross into the open to wind me. Depending on the land features I setup facing downwind or I setup facing upwind, but regardless my rifle is on the shooting sticks or prone bipod pointing at the end of the "funnel".

Also from a later post in this thread:

quote:
I setup so the coyote is upwind of me (area of timber/crp/etc) when I start calling. I'm facing looking downwind because for that given spot I believe the coyote will loop around me and try to get downwind. Or I give him a "funnel" like a finger of timber on my crosswind side so he can get around me in the safety of cover. When he steps into the open to get to my wind, which is say a 50 to 100 yard walk for him, sometimes much more, depending on the lay of the land, it's time to bark and shoot. The only time a coyote on a stand setup like this gets in my wind is if he's running and I can't stop him by barking (likely educated and equates standing to being shot...) or I'm sleeping with my eyes open, staring off, thinking of something else, distracted, not paying attention, etc...

Sometimes the land lays such that I face looking into the wind when I call. Regardless of which way I'm facing I believe you need to have the coyotes upwind of you when you start calling.

Lance, thank you for asking
quote:
I, too, must ask why you would give them your back when setting up with the wind in your ear in such a manner as to be able to monitor the route to your downwind is better?
Off the top my head I didn't know the answer so I went over in my head some of the stands I've faced downwind instead of crosswind and I've come up with only one reason. And actually it to correct an issue I need to correct another way.

The reason I gave the coyote my back intead of my side is my strong shooting side being left handed is to my right. For illustration I'll describe a stand I did this multiple times. I setup with a the wind out of the north, coyotes likely to the north/NW, I have a north/south funnel to my west 150 yards, I have a couple of options. I can sit south of the end of the funnel facing west, wind in my ear, keeping all the action infront of me, gun on the sticks pointed at the end of the funnel, any coyote that travels along or to the end of the funnel, walks across the open field between me and the funnel, etc is on my right side, my strong shooting side, as I'm facing west with the north wind in my ear.

But say south of the finger there is no cover, it's a baren field, my hiney would be sitting out in the open. I have a couple farms (all?) where a fence crosses perpendicular through a timber or grassy draw/funnel. So in this illustration (and I'm describing one of my favorite/productive spots) the wind is out of the north, coyotes are north/nw, north/south finger of timber funnel west of me 150 yards, and an east/west fence that cuts through the funnel with the end of the funnel being nearly 100 yards south of the fence. I sit along the fence, rifle on sticks, pointed at the end of the funnel.

Now, say on that stand I sit facing west with the wind in my right ear, left handed, my strong shooting side to my right, the end of the funnel and my downwind is to my left, my weak shooting side. If I feel a coyote is more likely to use the funnel to circle rather than come straight in (odds increase later and later in the winter....) I can do one of two things. I can shoot right handed or I can turn my body 90 degrees to the left, face downwind/south, my strong shooting side on my right now includes my downwind and the end of the funnel.

In Nov 2003 I called the above stand three times facing crosswind and had 3 adult coyotes go to my downwind side, my weak side as I sat there facing crosswind (double one stand used the funnel, single another stand didn't use the funnel) and one pup came in from upwind. On the three that circled downwind I scooted 60-90 degrees to the left before the shot so I could shoot left handed instead of shooting right handed.

On the pup who didn't circle, he must have came from the north east or east because he came from behind me as i sat facing west/crosswind. I didn't see him approach, but I about filled my drawers when he sniffed the back of my neck! [Eek!]

So to avoid scooting and busting myself and then potentionally only having a running shot opportunity, depending on alot of conditions and certainly not a majority of the time, I'll sit facing downwind instead of crosswind so my strong shooting side is aligned with the coyote's likely approach.

Now all that being said, I'm not saying it's the best approach to address the "weak shooting side" issue. Especially now that I see why I'm doing it, LOL... A better approach would be to become equally comfortible shooting both left and right handed. Every fall I shoot squirrels with my single shot 22mag left and right handed as practice. If a coyote was standing I think I'd do pretty good on dropping him right handed, but if the coyote was moving and barking didn't stop him I'm not sure how well I could accurately hit him shooting right handed. Swinging the rifle righthanded just isn't natural for me. I just need to practice practice practice.

There might be other reasons why I've faced downwind instead of crosswind, but I can't think of any right off the top of my head.

Does that help explain Lance. How do the rest of you guys handle your "weak side"??? Scoot around when the coyote shows up, switch hit (shoot both right and left handed), or is there another solution (yea, a right handed partner would work also [Wink] ).

later,
scruffy

[ May 26, 2006, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters