The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » What Percentage (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What Percentage
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 07:41 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ws/nwrc/field/logan.html

Start here. Type in "coyote" and muddle your way though all the technical stuff to the meat and potatoes.

That, and twenty-five years of field experience.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 07:46 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Without false modesty, I believe that you can learn what you need to know, right here on Huntmasters. Read the back pages and ask questions. This media was not available 40 years ago, but the learning curve is vastly shortened, in spite of the videos and "how to" books available. There is, literally; thousands of years of experience available, just for asking.

Cheap, too.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2006 08:33 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
I agree with your last post. There are only one or two videos that I have seen which can actually help a feller become better caller. Even with those few good videos, you have to know what to watch and listen for. I learned more about trapping and calling by going out a time or two with knowlegeable men, than I ever got from any book or video. There are several very good callers that hang out on this board, and most of them are willing to pass on some good secrets for free. How could you ask for more?

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2006 12:43 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
sdyote, my video is not instructional, just entertainment.
If I lived in South Dakota and were serious about learning everything coyote, I'd make my way over to Kadoka, corner Scott Huber and offer my sevices as a gopher, roofer, plumber, landscaper, anything useful to Scott, in exchange for letting me tag along on a couple of calling trips.
I would then drive to Gillette and do the same with Cal Taylor.

IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2006 12:44 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
I have sent a application to Cal Taylor offering to clean the kennels, bark when anyone comes down the drive so the dogs can save there energy.

I even had a mini- back hole installed on my wheelchair to bury the results of all the jacking. So far no response.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
sdyote
Member # 814

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2006 07:23 PM      Profile for sdyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Guys thanks for the info. Does Scott Huber visit the board often? What name does he post under if he does?
Posts: 22 | From: Gann Valley, SD | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2006 08:12 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
sd-

You'll find him under Wile E.

Probably have more luck finding him over at Coyotes R Us these days.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2006 06:56 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
sd-
There is a fellow that posts here under the name keekee that has a video out called "Hunting in the East-Back to Basics" that describes basic techniques as well as I have ever seen. He demonstrates distress calling and coyote vocalizations better than I have ever seen.

Baa1
PAKMAN
Member # 930

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2006 09:02 AM      Profile for Baa1           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich Higgins,
Would a sheep distress work well in your area?

Posts: 8 | From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2006 09:14 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The biggest mystery is who stole "Anna" from the campout, last year .....and took her back to Texas?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Baa1
PAKMAN
Member # 930

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2006 10:14 AM      Profile for Baa1           Edit/Delete Post 
Some dirty lowdown scoundrel stole Anna? I will not sleep well until the thief is caught and hung from a wagon tounge.
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2006 10:46 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Watch that kinda talk, Baa1,

Using tongue, hung and Anna in the same breath around here can result in unintended consequences. [Eek!]

--------------------

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2006 11:45 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Anna survived the Texas assault last year. It was the other two that got disappeariated.
Anna will be at the campout again. [Smile]

Edit: missed Cdogs post. [Big Grin]

[ August 26, 2006, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Rich Higgins ]

RagnCajn
ADDS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2006 06:13 PM      Profile for RagnCajn   Email RagnCajn         Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone explain the sheep comments? Inquiring minds want to know.
Posts: 362 | From: Shreveport LA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 5 posted August 26, 2006 07:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, who's going to 'splain? Huh?

A little joking around with the Texans, and see what happens?

Now, 'cajn thinks we're a bunch of preverts!

Who's, going to step up with a believable explain?

Shucks, we meant no harm.....right?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

RagnCajn
ADDS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2006 07:16 PM      Profile for RagnCajn   Email RagnCajn         Edit/Delete Post 
Naw Leonard, I knew it was a joke, I just wanted to be able to laugh with ya instead of at ya.

Edit: I even did a search for anna and sheep trying to find an old thread about it, to no avail.

[ August 26, 2006, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: RagnCajn ]

Posts: 362 | From: Shreveport LA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2006 08:55 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Anna is what you might call a camp follower. She seems to show up at all the HM campouts. She likes LB, but has a particular fondness for Texicans, lol. Not very camera shy, either. [Wink]
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2006 09:21 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Sdyote; I do some calling out youre way, if you would like some help just give me a holler we could get together sometime. By the way what part of S.D. are you in?

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baa1
PAKMAN
Member # 930

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2006 07:00 AM      Profile for Baa1           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess you could say that Anna is the black sheep of the family, but I like her very much.
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2006 07:40 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
This is Anna.
You may recognize two of her admirers.

-
 -
 -

Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2006 08:29 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a link to a little clip of Anna that some may recognise.

Click here to watch Rich-and-Anna

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2006 09:17 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, ACC, you now know what it takes to be a true coyote calling expert: know what another hunter means when he makes any remark about Anna.

If you don't know 'bout Anna, you don't know 'bout shit.

--------------------

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2006 10:08 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
ACC, Anna's not just another pretty face.
Here she is with Dr. Jaeger and his grad student at the National Wildlife Research Center.

-

sdyote
Member # 814

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2006 11:37 AM      Profile for sdyote           Edit/Delete Post 
TA17,

I live in Sioux Falls but most of my hunting ground is central part of the state. North of Chamberlain if you're familiar with that area.

Posts: 22 | From: Gann Valley, SD | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2006 11:45 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Sdyote: I was working just southwest of you this week by a town called Marion. I've been through the area you hunt, real nice coyote country. You see alot of hunters in that area in the winter?

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters