The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Predator & Prey (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Predator & Prey
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2006 09:45 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I've called eastern Colorado, western Kansas, and live in northcentral Kansas where I do almost all my calling. Based upon my own personal experience, western KS and eastern CO share a lot of similarities. Neither is like Kansas from I-35 east. The world changes when you hit Salina, thus the reason that most callers will not call the area where I live because it is just way too hard to produce decent numbers. The coyotes are there and in decent numbers. But, they're harassed by every imaginable form of hunting early on and become extremely difficult to coax out by Christmas. It can be done, but you won't be taking home a lot of fur in just a day or two of calling. Seen it tried by some of the best and I have yet to see any of those guys call even one coyote.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
doggin coyotes
Knows what it's all about
Member # 914

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2006 05:16 AM      Profile for doggin coyotes           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with ya Cdog, eastern Co., western KS pretty much one in the same.
So you're saying west of I-35 the problem is more due to alot of hunting pressure? More callers, guys running em with greyhounds, basically alot more guys hunting coyotes in general?

Posts: 10 | From: colorado | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2006 06:37 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
No. I'm saying that about east of I-35. Western Kansas is mixed and short-grass prairie. A few trees, but not like eastern Kansas where you have tallgrass prairie and deciduous forests.

Just west of Salina, you leave the Smoky Hills and enter the Solomon and Smoky Hill River basins. Flat as a tabletop for about six miles and primarily farmground. Hit Solomon, fifteen miles or so east of Salina and you start to see an abundance of interspersed pasture ground, especially to the north. Go another thirty miles east and you hit the Flint Hills which is big tallgrass prairie country where the summer grasses can and will grow as tall as twelve feet. If it isn't in pasture or farmground, it's hardwoods (yes, Kansas has trees) and in those areas, coyotes act more "easterly", using the terrain and cover to mask their approach. This area is besieged by hunters in the early season - coyote hunters, dog wagons, upland game hunters, deer hunters - in much greater quantities than west of here, so the coyotes get displaced day after day for better than a month before all that hunting makes them very nervous. Also makes them almost completely nocturnal by mid-December.

In the "day", I remember the first guy to teach me how to call, F. Robert Henderson at K-State, telling me that he rarely attempted to call recreationally east of Salina just because of the level of difficulty in finding consistent success compared to just a few miles further west. I live here and if I want to get into "good calling", I drive an hour west. if I want a challenge, I stick close to home.

Kansas, respective to hunting, is two vastly different worlds Between eastern and western. People-wise, too. Eastern KS is much more urbanized and suburbanized than western Kansas. There's something to be said about keeping a lot of dirt between lightbulbs.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
doggin coyotes
Knows what it's all about
Member # 914

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2006 05:41 PM      Profile for doggin coyotes           Edit/Delete Post 
My mistake. I meant to type EAST. Interesting the difference a few miles will make one way or the other sometimes.
Take care.

Posts: 10 | From: colorado | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters