The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Group Yip Howls (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Group Yip Howls
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2006 12:19 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis, the group howl and GYH do serve the same purpose in as much as both are issued to announce location in response to distant howling. The level of excitement is the primary difference and the intensity of GYHs help to reenforce social bonds and establish and reaffirm rank within the group. That is one of the reasons that sometimes a session will sound like the younger ones are being eaten alive and why the dominant ones will be hackled up and aggressive afterwards.
IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2006 01:02 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok so there is no difference in the apparent vocal response from either a group howl or a group yip howl made by unknown coyotes? Does it have an impact on the physical response? Will coyotes be harder to call in with a group yip howl than a group howl?

Dennis

[ October 27, 2006, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Greenside ]

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2006 04:17 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis, I can't answer those questions, you know that. The GYH is used as a locator by biologists because it evokes a like response from adjacent packs more than any other vocalization. The Johnny Stewart "Coyote Locator" is a recording of a GYH. Kathleen Fulmer's study of collared coyotes responses to broadcast playback demonstrated that vocal rsponse was often delayed because the coyotes would reposition themselves within their territory before replying. I'm convinced that they would do so because their sense of security was too low in that particular area to sound off. They would reposition into a comfort zone or join with another member before broadcasting their location.
Since the GYH is a territorial declaration or claim I expect an approach after we blow one only if we are located well within their defended territory otherwise we expect only a vocal reply and we never know how long that will take them.
We expect an approach only to lone howls.
Coyotes responses to any type of howl is determined by those particular coyotes security levels at that particular time. What is interesting to me is the fact that the biologists conducting that study, by trapping the coyotes, poking and prodding them, taking blood samples, pulling a tooth for aging, and placing a bulky, relatively permanent, foreign object around their neck, are drastically changing those coyotes behavior.

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2006 06:27 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What is interesting to me is the fact that the biologists conducting that study, by trapping the coyotes, poking and prodding them, taking blood samples, pulling a tooth for aging, and placing a bulky, relatively permanent, foreign object around their neck, are drastically changing those coyotes behavior.
Well, shit. I didn't think that little detail registered with you? [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31473 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
canine
Knows what it's all about
Member # 687

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2006 07:41 AM      Profile for canine   Email canine         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link Greenside. Sounds like an interesting study.

JD

--------------------
Hunting The East "back to Basic's" Part 1

Posts: 162 | From: ohio | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 10:18 AM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry guys for kicking a dead horse, but since I am new I may be bringing up some old topics to give my $.02 or ask further questions. Please bear with me.

I have heard GYH at all times during the night, but most commonly just before sunset. I have invoked a lot of GYH on early morning and late evening stands. The response was triggered primarily with pup distress sounds, about 75% of the time, between February and October. The other 25% was from rabbit distress, and was equally spread throughout the year. When getting the GYH response, I have only had coyotes come into the stand roughly 25% of the time. The remaining 75% stayed put until I either closed the distance and called in their immediate vicinity, or they just shut up after a short period of time and disappeared.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters