The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » coyote tracks (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: coyote tracks
2dogs
Knows what it's all about
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2007 10:20 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 

[ March 26, 2007, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: 2dogs ]

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2007 12:07 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
2dogs,
A hole is a hole is a hole, but not every hole is a coyote den. If you don't understand that by now, you probably never will.

[ January 18, 2007, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Rich ]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2007 12:14 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ March 28, 2010, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2007 12:28 PM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
For proper english speakers (of which I'm not...) here's what webster states:

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/den

Pronunciation: 'den
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English denn; akin to Old English denu valley, Old High German tenni threshing floor
1 : the lair of a wild usually predatory animal
2 a (1) : a hollow or cavern used especially as a hideout (2) : a center of secret activity b : a small usually squalid dwelling
3 : a comfortable usually secluded room
4 : a subdivision of a Cub Scout pack made up of two or more boys

Based on the above definition (1 and 2) I'll conceed that the hole, colvert, whichever a coyote uses in the winter is infact a "den".

Pup's are NOT required for it to be a "den", atleast by the proper english definition.

TA, I look forward to your hole (DEN) pics! [Cool]

later,
scruffy

[ January 18, 2007, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2007 01:00 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 

[ March 26, 2007, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: 2dogs ]

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2007 01:11 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 

scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2007 01:20 PM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I dropped off the bus at some point because I got lost on what Rich was trying to say in his last (very short and sharp) post. [Confused]

I imagine it's just a misunderstanding or descrepency in the definition of the word "den" which is one reason why I posted from the dictionary. I thought it would include "pups" but it didn't and I posted earlier a "den" included pups and I was correcting my earlier post in which I was incorrect. (ain't the first, won't be the last, I'm often wrong, as my wife often tells me...)

Hey, can't all us Iowa boys get along??? [Razz]

edit - def of lair, den mentioned in item 2:

Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English leger; akin to Old High German legar bed, Old English licgan to lie -- more at LIE
Date: before 12th century
1 dialect British : a resting or sleeping place : BED
2 a : the resting or living place of a wild animal : DEN b : a refuge or place for hiding

Feel like I'm back in school... [Eek!]

later,
scruffy

[ January 18, 2007, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2007 01:45 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
2dogs and scruffy,
You guys are both full of shit, and not worth my time. I will ignore your posts from now on.

--------------------

scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2007 02:00 PM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, I didn't mean to make anyone mad at me, that's not how I go through life.

Guess I got caught in the middle of you two and got hit by the cross fire or something, while trying to keep this from blowing up (which obviously happened anyway...).

I hope you accept my apology for whatever I said that made you mad.

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2007 03:49 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there obviously must be some sort of communication gap because I cannot figure out who is arguing with who. And, who is beating the subject to death? This is a case where a den may or may not be a den, depending on the actual concept.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2007 04:06 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ March 28, 2010, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2007 06:24 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
TA, those are some good looking spots! I hoping to head up to NW Iowa tomorrow for a day of spotting/stalking as well as some calling stands. Your pics really have me fired up! The area is similar to the pics, and they've been seeing both bedded and walking coyotes and red foxes. We don't have many foxes at all in my home area, haven't for many years, so I'm looking forward to getting a red in my scope! I just need my wife to get a little bit more over her sinus infection, if she doesn't I might have to cancel and stay home and take care of the youngin. Either way, 3-5 inches of new snow here Saturday night into Sunday. If I don't get to hunt the "flats" up north on Saturday I'll sneak on out for a stand and call the hills in my area on Sunday with the fresh snow, possibly cutting a fresh track and stalk one that way. Hopefully you get some fresh powder up your way as well.

Anyway, great pics! [Big Grin]

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2007 04:40 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ March 28, 2010, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2007 04:45 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ March 28, 2010, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2007 10:30 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ March 28, 2010, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2007 11:03 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, not much was laying out yesterday, nor responding to the calls. I was hopeful with the snow storm moving in that evening things would be out but with the 15-20mph south winds and then clouding over not much was laying out or out at all. We didn't see our first deer until 10am and our first rooster pheasant until 4pm... But, we took a break in the spotting and walked slowly into the section belonging to the father-in-law of one of the friends I was hunting with. On the way to a calling spot we spotted this coyote about 500 yards away, one of the guys and I put the sneak on him while another one tried to call him closer when we snuck as close as we could (400 yards). He didn't come and I missed the 400 yard shot, second guesed my range estimate/holderover and aimed lower than I originally calculated and missed low... We kept on him, some kiyi's and howls and moving to cut him off and I had him back in the scope, this time 350 yards away. I didn't second guess myself this time and held over correctly and dropped him DRT, just like it happens on the "TV" LOL. Wish they all did that. Anyway, he was s combo spot/stalk/called coyote. He either wasn't interested in the distress or couldn't hear it, but my howls interested him and seemed to calm him after being shot at. The kiyi's I did then got him to change direction (he was leaving us) and start a wide circle of us which allowed us to cut the distance when terrain allowed and get closer and back on him. Here's a pic (he's going to be tanned for the wall).

[URL=http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6%3DzqH%3AxxqUD7qRUrKxzX7BHpUUKxgXPJo%3F87KR6xqpxQQJQxelaxQaQxv8uOc5xQQQ0oJGQPaonQqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gXPJo%7CRup6lQ Q%7C/of=50,590,442]http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6%3DzqH%3AxxqUD7qRUrKxzX7BHpUUKxgXPJo%3F87KR6xqpxQQJQxelaxQaQxv8uOc5xQQQ0oJGQPaonQqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6 gXPJo%7CRup6lQ Q%7C/of=50,590,442[/URL]

It would certainly be hard to be successful calling up there, there's not only very little approach cover for a coyote to come to the call there's very little, sometimes no, cover for the caller to get into where he wants to call without being seen by a coyote with his eyes open... It's much easier calling in my area!!! But man I love those wide open areas, especailly when you are working a coyote, like cat and mouse, out in it.

Edit: the pic isn't showing up, it must have some funny stuff in the link, even when I try to make it a url it doesn't work, oh well..., picture lots of white stuff, me wearing whites with bloody ankles from dragging the coyote, and a coyote with almost no blood on him, not sure how he could bleed all over me and not himself, but he did...

later,
scruffy

[ January 22, 2007, 07:02 AM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2007 04:19 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ March 28, 2010, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 06:06 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 06:38 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

--------------------

Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 06:51 AM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
A "den" within the coyote hunting fraternity is usually in reference to a hole or culvert that coyotes are using frequently.

Since the only time I have ever seen coyotes use the same hole or culvert frequently is during the denning season, a "den" usually refers to the hole or culvert being used during the denning season.

When someone talks about a coyote den in the winter, it's usually only a place where a coyote tucked in to escape pursuit.

In this country, during aerial hunting, if there is a culvert or trickle tube in the country, every coyote seems to know about it and you can draw a line in their initial direction of travel directly to that culvert. I've seen coyotes use culverts for protection hundreds of times.

In this country, when a coyote takes off running in a certain direction, they ALMOST ALWAYS have a specific destination in mind. If you follow them, as we do periodically with the plane, it's usually a straight line to that destination. Many times it's a culvert or trickle tube. Most of the time it's the thickest brush around.

~SH~

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 10:12 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ March 28, 2010, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 09:02 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 

Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2007 06:35 AM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
TA 17: "This year though we are seeing something different, the coyotes are useing the den (hole in ground) more often. From tracks we have followed they lead right to the hole and go in, and this is done by coyotes that are not being hunted or chased at the time."

Interesting observation. Haven't seen that here but I never doubt an actual observation, just unsupported theories.

I'd guess that behavior is related to the pressure these coyotes are under in your area.

Interesting!

Thanks for sharing that even though it contradicts my own observations from around here. I have seen them dive under a snow drift when pursued by snowmobiles. Snowmobiles usually are not following tracks so they usually blaze right on by.

Survivors!

~SH~

[ February 03, 2007, 06:36 AM: Message edited by: Wiley E ]

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2007 02:34 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
2Dogs,
I didn't know it was you who made that offer, because you used a different screen name over there. Nice of you to make that offer, thank you.

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2007 02:41 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Wiley E.
I have a friend who lives about 30 miles north-east of here. He see's a lot of the truck jockeys at work there. In talking with him, it sound like the coyotes have started hiding in holes along the creek banks, undercut banks, culverts and etc.
The wiser ones have learned to hide in these places rather than run out the other end of the ditch and get shot at. Just another one of those learned survival things that coyotes are quick to pick up on. That is the way I see it anyway.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters