The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Slydog's adventure's (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Slydog's adventure's
coyote whacker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 03:20 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering why you don't go with a good bolt action? This stuff of barrel whip may come into play when lighting up a dog town or compition shooting but for coyotes I have no problem with a heavy barrel 22-250 rem or even a SS 700 25/06 for coyotes, as if your warming up a SS barrel enough to cause accuracy issues then you have alot of fast coyote action!

I think any gun that gets you 1/2"- 3/4" groups is more than plenty for shooting coyotes. The main thing is to shoot what ever rifle enough to know the bullets path and what it will do with cross winds, as even the most accurate rifle in the world is only as good as the guy behind it, making correct yardage and windage estimates.

How much does your out fit weigh?

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 04:04 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich; I have never met Scott H., and i did some checking around and i found out the man is a liveing legend in S.D. and his students speak highly of him. [Cool] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5167 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
slydog
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 04:24 PM      Profile for slydog   Author's Homepage   Email slydog         Edit/Delete Post 
CW,

I own over 60 long guns, I do own bolt guns I just prefer the single shot. As for getting it hot shooting at coyotes...LOL not hardly I don't have to shoot that many shots to kill a coyote.

I do however shoot hundreds if not thousands of rounds at rodents each spring. This is not a hobbie for me, this is what I do. I build my guns as versital as I can. I'm not happy with 1/2-3/4" groups, I cull guns that shoot groups like that or rebarrel them and start over. Some people are happy with that, not me. Aim small hit small.

The rig that I'm holding in the pic weighs 13 1/4lbs I have 2 others built the same but I built one for long range shooting. It has a 30" full bull and weighs 14 1/2 lbs, it will shoot 3" groups at 500 consistantly with my personal best being a .698 3 shot group @ 500 yards.

Only in America ware we have a choice and the right to it.

sly

--------------------
Smote the Yote with a slydog custom call

Posts: 179 | From: SW Idaho | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 04:26 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's true. He's famous, like a Rock Star with them Ole's and Gustav's, even has a posse, on Saturday nights at the Dairy Queen.

edit: That's Scott. Sly's probably famous, locally, but not statewide, like Scott.

reedit: or Higgins, for that matter.

Good hunting. LB

[ March 08, 2007, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31617 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 05:36 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Rich Cronk:"You set the electronic caller right beside you? No wonder your coyotes seem uncallable. Did you ever wonder how many coyotes busted you when they stood inside the cover and looked over there for source of the screams?"

I would like to point out that I find nothing wrong with TA having the E-caller right next to him. Other than the fact that they are made for and meant to get the sound source and hence the coyotes attention away from you. LOL. We as hand callers have the sound coming directly from where we are at and have coyotes come in. So what would be the difference in having an e-caller sitting in your lap or a hand call in your mouth? If the coyotes are supposedly un-callable or shy then that's the breaks. I don't think the improper use of an e-caller is to blame.
Just to counter-point.

IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 07:46 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"So what would be the difference in having an e-caller sitting in your lap or a hand call in your mouth?"
--------------------------------
BINGO Smithers!!! If you ain't gonna use an electronic caller correctly and take advantage of it's strength's, you have just dropped the ball. Why bother to carry an E caller in there if you ain't gonna use it right? Even if you are unable to blow a hand call, there is no reason not to take full advantage of the tools you carry with you is there? [Confused]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 09:34 PM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich: "That is what you once said about electronic calling machines also. Did you retire the W.T. yet?"

Apples and Oranges.

Decoy needs to be placed where it's visible which exposes you. WT can be placed beside you or away from you which may or may not expose you. No I have not retired the WT. I use it only because I can give my lungs a rest and spend more time watching for coyotes.

~SH~

[ March 08, 2007, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: Wiley E ]

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
slydog
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 12:16 AM      Profile for slydog   Author's Homepage   Email slydog         Edit/Delete Post 
LB,

I'm more infamous but I'm better lookin.....LOL .... sorry Scott, You can't have it all............LOL

Apples, oranges or watermellons. It comes down to what works best for the indevidual caller. What works for some may not work for others, there are hundreds of vairiables, reigon, climate, hunting pressure, number of coyotes, calling style, Body oder, with the wind, crosswind, wind in your face.

My grandfather said: listen to it all, pick out the parts you can use and file the rest in the shit pile. Every hunter has his/her style of calling, if they take 10% from each good hunter they meet and add it to their bag of tricks, all that can happen is they will learn and develope better hunting skills and put more coyotes on strechers.

Sly

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 06:00 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"Apples and Oranges."

"Decoy needs to be placed where it's visible which exposes you. WT can be placed beside you or away from you which may or may not expose you. No I have not retired the WT. I use it only because I can give my lungs a rest and spend more time watching for coyotes."
---------------------------
All well and good Scott, but when you made that statement about electronic callers, you were talking about E callers and not decoys. [Smile] I'm ribbing you a little, but I find it interesting how a little experience with an Apple or orange can change the way a feller feels about em. Regarding Electronic callers and their use, there are ever changing variables which require somewhat different placement location for the speaker. Same apply's to decoy use. Different presentation of decoy in broken country VS open terrain for instance.

--------------------

tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 11:11 AM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ok boys here is another badger that tips the scale at just under the 30# mark @ 29.7 lbs. I shot this one today just before the rain started. Should have killed 2 but was on the phone.....LOL

So now I am getting blamed for messing up a hunt 300 miles away [Big Grin] Usually it is just my calling partner telling me to keep my butt still.

I enjoyed talking to you for the first time, and hopefully we'll meet up before too long.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 01:26 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Huntmasters, tlbradford.
Glad to have you on board.

I've been through Spokane, looks like good calling country.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

slydog
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 01:34 PM      Profile for slydog   Author's Homepage   Email slydog         Edit/Delete Post 
Travis,

LOL...... Grandpa always said the guilty dog barks the loudest...... It was good talking with you too. I double doggie dare you to come hunt with me.... Anytime you like. I truly enjoy hunting with other callers as I'm convinced that you can learn something from anybody and others have their own ways. Sometimes what you learn is that your way is better, sometimes you learn little tricks that you can use, sometimes you just learn who to hunt with and who not to hunt with but you will always learn something. At least I do.

I look forward to it.

sly

--------------------

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 06:38 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Cronk, I agree wholeheartedly. To me it's like buying a Corvette and always going 25MPH. You are not taking advantage of it's strengths. But to say that he gets spotted because he has the caller next to him is the point I would contend. If he has it in his lap, beside him or 250 yds out I don't think it would take away from the effectiveness of the e-caller. I have one of the JS small handhelds, the 5 sound deal. I use it occasionally paired with a decoy and believe you me it is at least 35-40 yards out in the day but a bit closer at night, 10-15 yards.
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 06:28 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"Mr. Cronk, I agree wholeheartedly. To me it's like buying a Corvette and always going 25MPH. You are not taking advantage of it's strengths. But to say that he gets spotted because he has the caller next to him is the point I would contend."
--------------------------
Smithers,
I'm fairly sure that you realize when a coyote comes in, it is using eyes and nose to locate source of the screams it hears. There are times when getting your human form and human scent out away from the source of the screams can make the difference between success and failure. That is my point. [Wink]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 08:29 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There are times when getting your human form and human scent out away from the source of the screams can make the difference between success and failure. That is my point. (Mr Cronk)
This may work? I think I will try it!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 08:46 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"This may work? I think I will try it!"
-------------------------------
ROFLMAO Leonard!!!!! [Big Grin] You have been doing that since Moses was just a pup. Dang trouble makers around here are terrible.

--------------------

coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 09:39 AM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
That is one of the biggest advanatges of an e caller in my mind. Many coyotes will try and circle downwind of the sound source or visual attractor by placing that caller out there you can be out of the scent stream and get the coyote between you and the caller making for some real close action and with proper concealment that coyote doesn't have a clue your there.

Many coyotes I have seen are at that 40-70 yrd range when they come in downwind, so that range is what I try for if I can place the caller and not get caught doing so.

Pup calling in spet and oct, you can get by with it closer ,as many of them just head straight for the sound source and the reason many dumb pups don't make it through the fall/winter young, bold and naive. Makes for alot of doubles and triples and fun shooting though.

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 11:02 AM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Welcome to the New Huntmasters, tlbradford.
Glad to have you on board.

I've been through Spokane, looks like good calling country.

Good hunting. LB

Thanks Leonard. From the time spent reading through the old posts here, there are quite a few knowledgeable people here to learn from.

quote:
LOL...... Grandpa always said the guilty dog barks the loudest......
That is too true.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
slydog
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 11:56 AM      Profile for slydog   Author's Homepage   Email slydog         Edit/Delete Post 
This is just my 2 cents so take it for what its worth. I think that 80% of the callers call to much. I have friends who turn on the FoxPro and let it run till they kill,miss or give up on the stand. I also know hand callers who do the same thing, My thinking is this: we are hunting the hunters(key word), these predators hunt for a living, every day to survive. I think in most situations less is better.

I give them just what it takes to close the deal. I'm just like every other caller I know, we all love it when they come runnin but I think like this, let'em hunt. Give them some sound and let them hunt, thats what they do best. Hell a coyote can tryangulate your location within 20' from 1/4 mile away with just one series on the rabbit, why give him your exact location by blowing non stop. Make them dogs work for it, remember the longer he is there the better your odds are of getting a clear shot.

I also like to use my FoxPro set out 40-70 yards from me when I'm filming. It allows me more movement and I can set up for the wind, gain hight advantage and get more footage before the shot.

Its all up to inturpritation by the individual, the application and changing varibles will dictate responce and outcome. The more you do something the better you get at it. My moto is to "think outside the Box", try new angles, try new ideas and don't close your MIND to new thought. From new thought comes innovative concepts and new tricks in your call bag. If you close your mind to new ideas you will stagnate and your calling efforts will suffer for it.

We are all still just on page ONE in the first chapter of the introduction, in the book on coyote vocalization..

thats my 2 cents

sly

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 12:49 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I can deduce, we disagree on technique, sly. I believe in continuous sound, ever since the first time I turned the sound off and the animal stopped dead in his tracks, then left. Pauses, for the most part, allow an animal to pause and check things out, look around, and maybe pick me out of the clutter. The only pauses I allow are when hand calling, which are more for catching my breath than intending to convey realism.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

slydog
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 01:21 PM      Profile for slydog   Author's Homepage   Email slydog         Edit/Delete Post 
LB,

This is a good point for just what I said before: What works for one may not work for others. This is also why I say "its my opinion" and not this is how its done!

I know many who like you go non-stop and have great success. I say more power to ya. I just don't call that way most of the time. I do however blow non-stop for bear as when you stop they stop and I have seen this many times. So I know there is merit in your style. For coyotes I just try to make it as realistic as I can and it works well for me.

So when are you comming to Idaho for a few days to hunt my dogs??? You know the door is always open and the invite has been in place for many years now. Do I have to doggy dair you also.......LOL

sly

--------------------

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 03:46 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
With the large prey base and multitude of carcasses to scavenge it takes a little to get the coyotes roused out my way. A cacaphony of continuous sound is one way to do it. I use nearly continuous prey distress interspersed with howls, whimpers, yips and a plethora of other sounds. Sometimes to kick them loose you need a bigger shoe.
One night earlier this year I called nearly non stop for 30 minutes. 25- 30 howls, coyote distress, pup distress, yip howls, prey distress and whatever else I could think of. I ended up calling a pair onto the dirt road only 15 yards from where I was leaning against the hood of my parked car. No weapon, no shot.
Sometimes the unnatural is the only thing that will pull them loose.

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 04:59 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Coyote whacker:
quote:
Many coyotes I have seen are at that 40-70 yrd range when they come in downwind, so that range is what I try for if I can place the caller and not get caught doing so.

That is why i like the caller in my lap or off to the side of me. If the coyotes are hanging up 40-70 yards from the caller and you have the caller another 40 yards out, the coyotes will end up hanging up at a 100 yds or more. By placeing the caller in my lapp most of my shots are at 50-100 yds. When the coyote comes in and looks at me and the sound source its to late, the bullet is on the way...
When i use a electric caller i use only two sounds, a animal in distress and coyote vocal.
I can see on my stands for a long ways and if i have a coyote that is dragging his butt to come in, then i will turn the caller on and leave it on till the end or just before the coyote comes over the last small hill.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5167 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 05:10 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"One night earlier this year I called nearly non stop for 30 minutes. 25- 30 howls, coyote distress, pup distress, yip howls, prey distress and whatever else I could think of. I ended up calling a pair onto the dirt road only 15 yards from where I was leaning against the hood of my parked car. No weapon, no shot."
-------------------------------------------
I give up.

--------------------

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 05:59 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
You give up!? LOL! That is great.
"The wisdom of the wise is an uncommon degree of common sense!"
But, alas, Mr. Cronk all is not lost.
I do go out occasionally with no intent on killing what I call and there's no harm in that. I was just out calling for shits and giggles.
I parked on the side of a dirt road, next to a farm, where I did not have permission to hunt. I don't need permission to call, of course, so I did. I was on my way to watch Tito Ortiz get his teeth kicked in by Chuck Liddell, Dec. 30th if I remember correctly. This is one of the farms I alluded to in a previous thread. The coyotes are off limits because they keep the deer and turkey population in check along with about 15 deer hunters.
I had a JS locator CD blasting thru the stereo and an e-caller sitting on the hood playing Hell's Bells!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters