The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Taking of multiple coyotes? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Taking of multiple coyotes?
nd coyote killer
HUNTMASTER PRO STAFF
Member # 40

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 12:32 AM      Profile for nd coyote killer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Never underestimate landowner information
Isn't that the truth!!

Great job on the five Randy that always make the job easier

--------------------
"Sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim" - Bear Claw

Posts: 385 | From: On a hill | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Knows what it's all about
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 05:28 AM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
RR: "Ya know Scott the producer was right there when we took the picture,in fact he helped me get them to stay up on the bale.."

I've done the same thing Randy.

I was only kidding because of the visible blood. I wasn't suggesting it was an issue of concern from the landowners standpoint. Cattle feed supplements used to contain blood meal.

Lighten up!

~SH~

[ April 06, 2007, 05:43 AM: Message edited by: Wiley E ]

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 05:48 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I always tell anyone I take with me to take the first shot they know they can make and I follow the same thinking. I guess it's from learning how to quail hunt with my uncle, he always said if you pick one bird and kill it, by the end of the day you'll have more than if you try to kill the whole covey.

After the first one is down I try to stop the other with a bark, sometimes it works, sometimes not. Of course I'm just a recreational caller.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 07:31 AM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Wiley, I'm not pissed or anything, you know me, takes a lot to get me cranky,thick skinned is one of the requirements of this job.

Also I want to thank you for the kind words and I'm sure Brent says the same!

We are very lucky to do what we do!!!!

You can really learn alot about coyotes when you are out there calling them 12 months out of the year.

Best compliment I ever got was from a 70-80 year old producer who told me one time,"you must be part coyote".

Back to the topic, I prefer on multiples to take a sure thing if that is possible. Anything inside of 200 yards in open terrain that allows a standing shot before all heck is going to bust loose. If this happens to be one that has hung up and the others are within 50 yards chargin, I can more readily hit the close ones moving vs the one at 200 moving.I shoot a very heavy 22-250 that is not made to be shot offhand at running targets, it's made to grind up longer range standing targets, this open coutry allows for that. If the close ones show any signs of stopping to take a look I hold off the running shot. You can tell, the side bounce looking over to the dead one,or back at the sound you are making vs. the ears laid back flat out sprint.I believe that coyote that hung up in the back will be the hardest to call on on a return visit. Also coyotes that are shot at 5 times as they run off will be harder to call in again vs.ones that only heard a single shot. ADC work not as willing to let as many bullets fly, contests we need numbers but quality shots, recreational guys who are just out a few times a year, it is what it is.Just remember you guys are usually limited to the areas you hunt so don't give them your whole bag of tricks on the first trip sound wise and take shots you are very comfortable with.You have a limited number of coyotes choose wisely weedhopper!!

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 02:08 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Quote:(Just remember you guys are usually limited to the areas you hunt so don't give them your whole bag of tricks on the first trip sound wise.)

I agree with that statement 100%

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5080 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 05:55 PM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
It takes an incredible amount of discipline to shoot a coyote standing at 200 yards when you have one hard charging at you at 50 yards. A person tends to rush the first shot to get to the second coyote. It's taken me a lot of years to reach enough confidence in my running shot to take my time on the standing coyote.

I think to the novice I would give the advise to take the sure shot first.

When it comes to decoy dogs, it's least aggressive first and most aggressive last.

I remember a time in Wyoming during the National hunt where my partner and I were calling a sagey creek. It was getting late in the game and I was glassing around. As I swung over on my partner who was about 100 yards away, I saw him frantically pointing in front of me. Here came 3 hard chargers. I figured I would try them with the shotgun. When they got close enough, the one I was leading saw something and swung hard. I wasn't able to swing around enough to stay with him and missed. I was so pissed. I picked up my rifle and shot the first coyote and he dropped. The second coyote reached the same spot, I shot and he dropped. The third coyote was out in a stubble field, I shot, it spun around and took off (gut shot). We pushed the gut shot too hard and too fast and we didn't get it. In hindsight, I should have circled around that coyote and had my partner push him to me because gut shot coyotes normally head the same way the water would run from the place you shot them. The first two coyotes were both shot at 325 yards up the rectum. Neither had a bullet hole. It's just one of those instinctive things that comes together now and again. I wouldn't even tell people this story if I didn't have an eye witness because it's so hard to believe. I have missed many, many more just like that but this time the moon and stars lined up or perhaps I was just so pissed at missing the easy shot with the shotgun. These were both very large old male coyotes.

~SH~

[ April 06, 2007, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Wiley E ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 06:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
gut shot coyotes normally head the same way the water would run from the place you shot them.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, there? A coyote might stay in a wash and he might not, not sure? What I am sure of is that a crippled bobcat will always go uphill...if he can. If he is going downhill, he will die soon.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31472 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 06:31 PM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I have ever went after a gut shot coyote they have traveled the path of least resistance from that point or from the point of the nearest cover. Down the hill, down the draw, down the creek.

I'm not saying they do this every time, I'm saying that is what I have seen EVERY TIME.

Tom Schmid came up to me at Rawlins one year and thanked me for that tip because they gut shot a coyote and didn't know where he ran. He remembered what I said about gut shot coyotes normally traveling the path of least resistance from the place they were shot and he took that advice and found that coyote.

~SH~

[ April 06, 2007, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Wiley E ]

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 07:06 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much see the same happen here with a wounded coyote. When hunting along the creeks or drainage ditches the wounded coyote will go where its the easiest to travel like on the ice, have had a few make it to the road and run right down it till they bleed out or just could'nt go anymore. Out west where i call, i had a few wounded coyotes make it to the bottom of drainage and follow it towards the river.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 07:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I agree with you, if there is terrain that can be followed. What I am pointing out is the difference between the cat and the dog. The cat always climbs, unless he's mortally wounded, and then it's a short search, if you know where to look.

That's where I'm not sure? Gut shot? Maybe? But blow a leg off and will he always head downhill? A cat won't, for sure. Coyote? I really don't have enough data to have a strong opinion, one way or the other. But, in the case of a gut shot coyote, I have to go along with you.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Randy Roede
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 07:42 AM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey talk about findin coyotes, Brent and I were floating beaver last weekend through some country we had called in a contest. Talking about the stands and coyotes and I look on the bank and there lays a coyote?

I looked around and asked brent, isn't this were you had shot and missed that one coyote Yea he says, Heck there he lays I said. We pull over to the bank and sure as heck its him.

We had called there, a coyote came in ,he thought drilled it but then a another coyote busted out and hit the river ice running, we thought it was the same coyote and thought he had missed him?Tall grass, deflection etc. He even went over to check but must have been off where he looked and it was in some really thick stuff!The higher water had laid some of the thick stuff down in fromt of it so we could see it from the water.Could have cost us some money but it wasn't a factor,still won by two so no big deal,it was later in the day and we were set up looking in the sun as we worked east to west and he had a eyeful of the big yellow ball in his scope.Lesson learned!

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 01:55 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Lung or gut shot. I've done my share. Lunger's run mighty far, compared to gut shot. Three Winter snowfly's ago. I spotted a pair balled up between some corn rows, a tad over the East/West 1/2 mile fenceline.

It was brutal out, wind rippin out of the North. WC, upper-20's. I was set for 300yrds. I got to my last hilltop. Closest coyote had it's back to me a tad over 300est.

I went prone, aimed mid back, nailed him good. He's running, pronking, looping in large circles. I'm leading & shooting. Couldn't re-connect.

The other coyote bolted hard, NorEast bound. Also there was "5" other coyotes, that sprang-up [buried in the snow between the rows]. All the runner's, merged into a tight formation, hauling mail.

I didn't track the tagged one, as my eye's wanted to freeze shut.

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 02:06 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote: (I didn't track the tagged one, as my eye's wanted to freeze shut.)
Get a pair of ski goggles!
I carry a pair in the truck for when the Alberta clipper comes down. I took mine and placed very narrow strips of black tape across the lens, this helps to prevent snow blindness and the goggles keep youre eyeballs from freezeing... [Smile]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 02:29 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
lung shots run further than gut shot? That's interesting. I would think it would be reversed?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 02:35 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Quote:(Lung or gut shot. I've done my share. Lunger's run mighty far, compared to gut shot.)
I find this to be the oppisite, if the coyote was actually hit in the lungs they don't go very far at all, usually a couple hundred yards.
The gut shot ones can go a bit farther and will look for a place to lay-up. Just like a gut shot deer, i let the coyote be for a hour or two then go after him. Usualy find them laying under a tree or the creek bank dead..
A coyote hit in the back leg or front leg can go for quite a few days. When they bed down they will leave a big pool of blood in there bed. By the second day the bleeding is reduced to just very small drop lets of blood every few feet and some times no blood at all. just keep tracking and hope he can be pushed to a blocker or brought out into the open. I have found that a wounded coyote canbe one of the hardest to track down, when they know they are being persued they will use every trick that they can think of in order to survive. They will go into the real thick stuff and then come out the other side takeing a path of least resistance to gain some extra ground. They will get on a used deer trail and then try for a getaway. Very hard to find a track, so i have to look for a few hairs or a speck of blood. I remember Rich C. said that calling coyotes is a art, try tracking coyotes once, not alot of hunters can keep on a track, actually very few...

Yes Leonard; same thought here as well..

[ April 07, 2007, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 02:59 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
I've had quiet afew broadside "lung"[mid/front chest] shot coyote run like heck for a long ways.

One I shot @ around 50' away broadside with a 95gr BT, last Fall. That coyote along with the rest of the pack. Ran over 1/2 mile out of their section & into the next section & disappeared.

The one's, I've gut shot. Will have spurts of energy, run alittle aways then sit, then run, then sit.

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 03:13 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Quote:(One I shot @ around 50' away broadside with a 95gr BT, last Fall. That coyote along with the rest of the pack. Ran over 1/2 mile out of their section & into the next section & disappeared.)
At 50' no way in hell is a coyote shot in the lungs going to run that far, let alone get up. I shoot the little bitty 17 cal and a coyote hit in the chest or lungs does not walk away from it. Since the coyote was that close when you shot you most likely shot under it and grazed a leg or just plain missed... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 03:40 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"lung shots run further than gut shot? That's interesting. I would think it would be reversed?"
--------------------
Exactly reversed Leonard, ya got that one right. Somebody around here is full of shit. Sometimes it just takes longer for some folks to prove themselves around here than it does for others. [Big Grin] If someone shoots a coyote in the lungs with a 95 grainer and it runs off, he must have forgot to charge that round with powder. LOL

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 05:56 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
2dogs this coyote was stone dead and hadn't moved, we had just thought the one that appeared on the ice was this coyote. We did not see the second coyote, after the barriage on the ice he went to see if he had hit the coyote we had presumed had run away and found nothing. It explains why he never found a blood trail or any evidence of a hit on a coyote that never moved. This shot was at about 150-175 yards into the setting sun. The cover on the edge of the river was tall grass with little to reference to when looking to remember where the first shot ocurred.

I'll have to agree a lunger will die much quicker than a gutter even when your gutters are the draggin parts and pieces behind!2 dogs are you shootin full metals?We used to shoot those in the fur $ days and a lung hit took awhile but still quicker than a gut shot.Something sounds out of whack!

--------------------

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 07:10 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Randy,

I've used FMJ's before with different cals[M-1 carbine & an AK-47]. FMJ's, don't cause much shock/truama. Compared to SN, HP's or BT's.

This 50' coyote was shot with my .243WSSM AR 95gr Winchester Silver Ballistic tip. I'm guessing the round didn't frag. Coyote dropped like an anvil down over the opposite side of the hill top. From where we met each other.

Next time I seen it, it was running up across the valley side.

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 07:24 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
A lung shot coyote doesn't just pile up after a short run. Unless of course the bullet cut it's pulmonary artery[s], vein[s] or decending Aorta.

If "anyone" shot plenty of coyote's broadside in the lungs. Then they would know this. A lung shot coyote "can" run a heckuva long ways, before crumpling.

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 07:27 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich C,

I share my hunts. You go ahead & choose to believe them or not. No big whoop to me. I've been hunting them along time, longer than you. I don't have to prove a thing [Cool] .

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 07:59 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Look 2dogs...... You might have been hunting coyotes since Christ was a Corporal, but don't try to wiggle your way out of this one.

A coyote hit in the lungs will never in hell travel a half mile. Okay? Not even open for debate, you're wrong, mistaken. Especially if you claim it happens routinely. But, if you saw this particular coyote run off a half mile with others, he wasn't hit in the lungs. You made a bad hit somewhere else; it's that simple?

So, just shut up about it. Let it go, you ain't gonna win.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 08:02 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ March 28, 2010, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 08:10 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Boot me.

[ April 07, 2007, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: 2dogs ]

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters