The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Long range coyotes (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Long range coyotes
coyote whacker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 12:01 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
It is all on how you practice, your terrain and knowing the distance. I don't think many serious coyotes killers don't have both a bipod for prone and shooting sticks for setting on a stand. A steady rest is a must for the majority of shots taken.

This isn't about the 85%+ that come to under 200 yrds and give you a great shooting opportunity, this practice, range estimation and target turrets are for those that hang up, not running 500 yrd shots, but the ones that will give a longer range shot opportunity, the more you do something the better you will get. If I need to kill that coyote and he hangs at 400-450 and the wind is light I will try and make the shot. The more I do it and practice the easier it gets in the field.

If I can knock down P-dogs at 250 and Jacks at 300 then I should be able to place the bullet on a coyote at 400-500 yrds.

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 12:02 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to say anything past 350 or 400 yards is pushing it for me during the day. Yeah, I've made a few long range day shots, but alot of it was just plane old luck.
At night the whole game changes. It's hard to judge distance for one thing, what seems like 300 yards can be 200 or what seems like 125 yards could be 200.
Sometimes the hardest part at night is finding the downed animal at longer rangers. I've learned not to even bother with long range shots at night, many times it can end up a big wast of time. Just as easy to go down the road and find one that well respond with in range.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 12:35 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Danny.I try to limit my shots to 350 yards but might take the occasional 400 yarder.There are just to many variables to consider out past that.Good Hunting Chad
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 12:52 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad, Baby! Don't you realize why you don't have confidence in anything past 350 is because you insist on using a subcaliber. <snicker>

Good hunting. LB

....kidding; I'm kidding, okay?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 02:36 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
The truck mirror makes a good rest, but I find shutting the engine off helps a little more. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 03:01 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish i had the luxory of long distance,coyote shooting.Years ago,i did a lot of long range shooting on farm land for ground hogs.I never seen where it was hard to take ground hogs out to 500 yards.I used a 22-250 with harris bipods mounted on the front and a sand bag in the rear,400 yards and under was a peice of cake.If you are setup right and know your gun,i don't see where four hundred yard shots are all that difficult.Wind,i know can be your worst enemy on long shots.Where i hunted and when i hunted,wind wasn't much of a problem.
Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 06:18 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

I never shot much past those distances with my .22-250 or .243 either.

In fact I have not really changed any of my shooting habits since going to the "subcaliber".It's amazing that when I walk up to those dead coyotes,that they are just as dead as when I shot them with my bigger calibers. You Just can't see the hole anymore. [Wink]

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2007 10:38 AM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
The main reason I purchased a 25/06 and use 115 gr nosler bal tips, gives me more energy and less wind drfit than my 22-250 for those shots and winds at or around 10 mph.

--------------------

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2007 11:11 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
If this thread continues much longer, I'll be forced to put on my hip waders.
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pilgrim on Earth
Member # 314

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2007 12:52 PM      Profile for Pilgrim on Earth   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice shooting, TA.
Posts: 54 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2007 01:29 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Pilgrim.. Long time no hear from. How have you been doing. Is youre summer off to a good start?..T.A.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pilgrim on Earth
Member # 314

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 04:55 AM      Profile for Pilgrim on Earth   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I've had better starts. Hanging in there though.
Posts: 54 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 05:10 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
az hunter what part makes you want to pull up your boots?

--------------------

furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 05:34 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Last winter after letting my buddy miss twice I took my .22-.243 middlestead out of his hands and wacked a coyote at 330 yds. (Leica rangefinder) He said " I don't know how you do that" I've done it in front of him many times it is simply a matter of a capable gun, knowing your ballistics and practice/experience. With an accurrate high velocity .22 cal or bigger 350 should not be a problem. With a proper sight in and fast rifle 0-300 yds requires only minor point of aim adjustments. At 400 and beyond requires considerable adjustments for wind and range.

Are you 400 plus guys taking rotating vanes to factor wind speed on you calling stands? If not how are you adjusting for wind?
Shot a coyote at 559 yds one time out the truck window. Unlucky coyote.
By the way- I'm a new guy. Leonard recruited me. Trapper/caller from Ca.

Posts: 144 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 05:35 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably this?

quote:
First liar don`t stand a chance.

Anything over 1500 yds is certainly long range for me.

--------------------
Jason

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 08:00 PM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
The Guy I know that wacks them at 400 plus on a regular basis uses a hand held wind meter(krestrel) plus he practices a lot. Last time I went to see him he was just coming from target shooting 600 yards with his .223. The thing that made It strange was that there was a thirty mile an hour wind.

Most people would stay home in a wind like that. He took as an opurtunity to learn.

And no he does not use his .223 to shoot long range coyotes.

[ May 14, 2007, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: albert ]

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 09:26 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Sheeesh Leonard, why you gotta drag me back into this tangled web, I was just making a smartass jab at where this thread was gonna end up eventually, now tell me....was I right? [Smile]

BTW.....I got a picture of a target with 3 .17 cal holes that measure .4 in. & it`s written right there on the target....1500yds, 30 mph cross wind. Want to see the proof?

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted May 14, 2007 09:56 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
...because I knew you wouldn't whine about it?
You got nothing to worry about, everybody knows you're a great kidder!
LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2007 04:36 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Albert,
I dont doubt your friend being a good shot but answer me this. Just because you got a wind meter with you, what the hell does that do at 400 yrds? I can stick my finger in my mouth and then in the air and tell you which way its blowing WHERE IM AT.

What the wind is doing at 300 yrds and on out can be totally different and thats where it makes the difference.

AZ Hunter, Im with you. I put my boots on back on page one if you will read.

Ill stick to my guns. I look out at that 600+ target every morning. I think about a coyote standing there and some fellas braggin on regularly whackin coyotes in hunting situtations.

I gotta shake my head. Im either severely sheltered or Im glad I got my boots. [Wink]

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2007 05:43 AM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy how often do you shoot at that 600 yard target?

I have no idea what kind of terrain you are shooting in but there is no doubt that the wind conditions play a big part in the decsion as to whether or not you take the shot.

The most important wind is where you are at. The closer you are to the target the less time it has to affect the bullet flight.

Huge diffence between 400 and 600 hundred in terms of difficulty.

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2007 06:09 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I dont shoot long range. I will this summer and fall most likely, but never had the opportunity til now.

But Im not a fool either. I am willing to learn. So your saying, the last two hundred yards, 400-600, the wind makes less difference on your bullet, even though it has slowed tremendously?

I watched a huge whitetail, easily a B&C, a few years back at just over 500 yards. He was on the next ridge from me. I had a clear shot for a long time. I was in a tripod stand and had a great rest. I had a approx 10mph wind in my face. I had a range finder and had the range down after several checks. I was holding a 25-06AI. Everything was seemingly right. However, I noticed the tree tops on the ridge he was on were blowing the other way. We were toward the upper end of the a large valley. I looked into the valley and the wind was still, or practically still. We were in a huge swirl. No telling what that wind was doing, line of sight, across that valley.

Even though I havent practiced at that range, I had at 300 quite a bit with that gun and was pretty sure what it would do at 500. I just smiled and continued to watch thru the scope. Maybe I was wrong? Seems to me alot was going to take place with that bullet from muzzle to deer.

Just looking at ballistics charts of bullet speed, Im not real sure Im biting on this wind making less difference on out there. A bullet travelling at over 3200fps at the muzzle it seems would have less wind effect than a bullet travelling somewhere in the neighborhood of 1400fps at 500, or less than 1100 at 600, depending on what your shooting.

I took a quick check at a chart just to make sure I remembered right, with a standard 25-06, just as an example, it loses about 300fps every 100yrds out to 500yrds, then really starts dropping off. And, at 400 yrds, bullet drop is around 20in, again depending on what your shooting, and over 40in at 500 yrds.

Nothing personal Albert, but Im not biting on this wind not having more effect the last 200yrds, from 400-600, than at the muzzle, or at least the first 400.

No matter if I have shot that target or not. Numbers dont lie and there are no free lunches.

--------------------
Andy

albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2007 10:31 AM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy have you ever read or studied on doping wind?

The reason is pretty simple why the first 100 yards has a much greater effect. Lets say there is enough wind to cause the bullet to deflect 1 MOA. the first hundred yards. this effect will last over the whole distance an equal opposing wind at the target will only effect the last hundred yards. The bullet is going slower so we will say it will deflect it 1.5 MOA.

so the total bullet defection is equal to 500 yards times 1 MOA minus the opposing defection of 1.5 MOA times a hundred yards. While this is not exactly right I hope it gives you an idea.

Clear as mud?

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2007 10:33 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, when I read what he said, I considered drop, first and foremost, between 400 and 600 yards. I did not get the impression, as you did, that he was talking about the variable wind, between 400 and 600 yards as being the problem?

Now, in your example, I wonder what bullet you were using? Wind blowing left and wind blowing to the right, yeah, it does matter, but we can't know, precisely? Unfortunately, your example is a whitetail with a huge rack, and the title of this thread is, "long range coyotes" so although I respect coyotes, I just might take the shot, if all things were equal, but the wind direction appeared to be a little different, down range.

In other words, I go with what I know, but, if you know your rifle and have the drop calculated, and you are using a cartridge that is up to the test, I say....you won't know unless you try, even if it is just paper you are shooting at.

But, a 25'06AI, (and I have owned a couple), is capable of making the shot you describe. Again, if others can bang away at distances beyond what I am comfortable with, that's fine. But, I am very pleased with dumping a coyote at 500 yards; it's not that easy to do.

And, yes, I once killed a coyote, running flat out and he did three somersalts at over 700 yards, but it was pure luck and I wouldn't know where to begin, if I had to do it again? The wind might have been blowing 50 MPH straight down, for all I knew?

We all need to practice more, that's for sure.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2007 12:07 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Albert,
Thanks for not taking me wrong. Im not in your face arguing. I dont know, just saying what I see. I will study it though.

Ive never been a big target shooter. Just enough to be comfortable when I got the chance to hunt, I was ready. I dont intend to shoot coyotes, or anything else way out there, so I dont practice there.

LB,
I know the gun was capable. It was me that I was worried about and the wind. I had it loaded with 59.5gr of 4831 IMR behind a 100gr Nosler Partition. Ive never choroned it, but they are squirtin out of their pretty fast.

There was no telling what that wind was doing in between me and that buck, even though were supposed to be talkin coyotes. I suppose since very few chances are given to alot of folks for a buck like that, I know I havent had them that often, most would have taken the shot. I didnt, right or wrong. Didnt feel right.

As far as wind drift goes, I only know what I have been told by those that know a hell of alot more than I. That is the shorter amount of time a bullet is in the air, the less time the wind has to mess with it. I guess thats where I drew the conclusion that a bullet between 400-600 yards that is slowing drasticly would be affected much more than from 0-400.

Maybe Im wrong?

Note on Nosler Partition. Its not a good deer bullet, btw, out of that gun. JD can attest to that. Nosler told me it was not meant to travel that fast. It splashes like a ballistic tip and just part of the core goes into the deer sometimes. Other times, if hit in the ribs, it will act like a 17Rem and tear the hell out of the heart and lungs with no exit. Thats all good unless the deer runs because there will be little to no blood trail. Sometimes they drop like a hammer and sometimes they run dead 150 yrds. I need to find a harder bullet.

--------------------
Andy

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2007 12:16 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Speakin of those splashin Noslers. If your listening JD, I still got a bunch of those loaded from when you used it deer season. I need to find a better bullet for deer, like we discussed. Ill bring them along, and some 75gr VMax, for prairie dogs in a couple weeks. That outta send em a flippin. LOL [Cool]

And Ill load up some ballistic tips for the 6.5x55. That should provide some excitement as well.

--------------------
Andy

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters