The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Camoflauge (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Camoflauge
6mm284
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 03:40 AM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
I like camo not so much for the concealment it offers as that can be done in lots of ways, but because camo generally has lots of pockets for all the junk I take calling.Probably the biggest value could be in giving one a better chance of getting into the call stand undetected.There is still some individuality asociated with how a particular coyote responds to any shape, color ,pattern , form, location,situation,etc
Posts: 198 | From: N46 06 E91 11 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Steve Craig
Lacks Opposable Thumbs/what's up with that?
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 07:23 AM      Profile for Steve Craig           Edit/Delete Post 
What about the Easter Bunny?

Here what happened to the Easter Bunny!!!!!!

-

--------------------
Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction. - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 442 | From: Cottonwood,Az, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Steve Craig
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 07:34 AM      Profile for Steve Craig           Edit/Delete Post 
As far as camo, I just buy whatever they have on sale at the end of the season. Get great deals this way. Camo is over rated and made to sell to sportsmen. As long as you dress for your area,dont move, it wont make a difference if you are wearing a Santa Suit like Gerry did,or a totally white Painters suit like I did to prove to a client that it could be done and that it was over rated.
And yes i used a hand call so the coyotes were looking at me and not the WT. They paid no attention and all died that day. Made a believer out of said client to say the least. A good pair of kaki pants,olive green shirt, hat and most important a face mask is all you need.

--------------------
Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction. - Thomas Jefferson

Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 08:25 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
be still, berry berry still and you will get the rabbit...

a bit of rabbit and coyote urine mix applyied to the lobes of the ears will also help in case you have to scratch at an inappropriate time.

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Okanagan
Budding Spin Doctor
Member # 870

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 09:04 AM      Profile for Okanagan           Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto to Steve. One of the best camo items I ever owned was a black and grey plaid wool jacket with big blocks three or four inches across. IMO virtually all camo has too small design bits in it to actually work well as camo at a distance. Most camo looks like a solid color at a distance. Larger blocks of really contrasting tones don't sell well but work better in my applications.

Got a kick out of Steve's camo buying: Likewise I don't own a single camo item that wasn't on a steep discount sale in off season and I don't have a clue what "pattern" any of them are, Mossy Beach or Advantage Asphalt.

If you move, you're toast with most critters, camo or not. I have started carrying two pieces of cloth 60 inches by 12 feet long. One is snow white light weight bridal dress fabric of some kind and I use it in snow. The other is ultra thin lightweight nylon ripstop camo. Each wads to a grapefruit sized ball. On snow or dry ground for cats I drape or stretch one or the other of them around me to make a blind with just my eyes above the top edge. A few clothes pins in the pack help hold it in place. I've been amazed at how much I can move behind the screen without animals detecting anything. A coyote last winter inside 25 yards never turned his head when I raised my rifle over the top edge and aimed at him. I was about 20 degrees off of his line of vison to the e-call.

I made a head net with long front to cover my hand movements when hand calling, but have called a ton of critters without it. It has a light copper wire hemmed into the rim around the eye hole, that molds around my glasses. Still using the same one I first made over 20 years ago out of some kind of camo netting.

My main camo item is an xxxl sized silk weight synthetic shirt that fits over a coat or anything. Head net, toque of camo or white, gloves and that's my usual. I have a fleece camo jacket picked up cheap last year, also extra large, and huge fleece camo pants that pull over if needed. I often don't carry along the pants. I don't wear camo but pull on a thin camo shell at the stand, and let the stand decide how much, which color, etc. I.e. in snow, if you sit against a broad dark stump in dark blackberries, the dry ground camo hides you in the dark patch better than white would, though either would work.

Just realized I'm wordy because I'm reliving some stands and want the season for cats to open again.

[ June 23, 2007, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Okanagan ]

Posts: 269 | From: 49th Parrallel | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 09:19 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Easter Bunny....

I'll vote for the face mask, too.

Hard to beat good ole Carharts in real cold weather. Flannel shirts ain't too bad either.

Where's the guy that was firing on Vic C. for hunting in tennies?

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 09:19 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich
I dont know what a coyote sees.but when Im out in the open Ive had camo on just to blend with the surrounding area trying to look like a bush or rock or some bump in the terrain, it seems to work for the right situation if i can keep the sun and wind cooperating. How difficult is it to use that ghillie cover to hunt with.It makes you look like a big lump in the pasture.I have always felt that covering the face and hands is improtant .everytime I look back from the ecaller or decoy Its all iI see of other hunters that are not covered.what are your thoughts. given that one is not tented in a ghillie.
Thanks for the words on movement .I turn my head slowly and try not to move much more than that its a lot of work to be that still for long periods.( my bones tend to stay put if left still too long)With all that said most of the time I back to a bush or tree if available.
Pm

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 09:45 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all for not busting my chops for mis-spelling camouflage. [Smile]
Which is actually defined as "to disguise or conceal" and that is how I view it, a concept, rather than as a particular color or pattern.
I shot a coyote with a longbow once wearing sand colored jeans, a brown shirt and boonie hat, no face mask. I kneeled down in a sandy wash, laid my chest and side of my head down in the sand with my bow arm stretched out, arrow pointed toward the tape player and decoy ten feet away. My butt was hiked up in the air. When the coyote stopped looking at me and focused on the decoy and sound I drew the arrow, raised my upper body a few inches and shot him from a cantilevered, horizontal position. My shape was the "camo", an unrecognized, nonthreatening disguise.

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 10:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Rich. Was this adventure someplace where they don't have ants?

You see, some of these solutions that work in various parts of the country, it's my own "conditioned response"...I was cured of laying down, or even scooping the sand under a barbed wire fence. Seems like there are shed cactus needles everywhere, and I am a magnet. A fly that won't stay out of my ear canal brings out the worst in me.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31467 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 10:08 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
When calling coyotes to a gun in terrain where they can be seen before they see the caller, it is very simple to get the gun on them and remain still until they are in position. It makes no difference what you wear.
Del Western and Geaorge Oakey won the first Top Caller Trophy at Phoenix Varmint Callers in the mid sixties with 467 coyotes and a bunch of bobcats and fox. The photos of them from that time showed them wearing white cowboy hats and colorful cowboy shirts. The video they produce "Coyote Safari" did show them calling from behind a portable fabric blind.
Shotgun, livingroom calling in very thick cover doesn't require camo either because they are moving so fast and pop up so close that it's usually over with before it makes a difference.
Calling to pressured coyotes that come in on the sneak, regardless whether it is in Pa., Ohio, Kentucky, Mo. Ozarks, or the thick chapparel in Az. absolutely requires effective camo if the caller is going to withstand the close scrutiny that coyotes often give the setup before they expose themselves. Sometimes birds, squirrels and stock alert the caller of the presence of a coyote, but often he simply becomes aware of a partial shape through an opening in the cover. A disguising shape as camo is far more important than color or pattern then.

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 10:12 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, it was Tujunga Wash in Ca.
But you are right, I examine the ground very closely for all creepy crawlies and sharp thingies before plopping my one and only ass on the ground. [Smile]

albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 10:19 AM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
Form is the key. Good camo breaks up your form. I often call out in the wide open. The key is to lay prone.

Laying prone has a lot of advantages when calling in open terrain. I believe that when you are laying prone the coyote is less likely to percieve you as a threat.

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Steve Craig
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 10:20 AM      Profile for Steve Craig           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what REALLY happened to the Easter Bunny!!

-

--------------------

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 10:26 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Something else to ponder. I believe that a red shirt and blue jeans can be very effective camo. Coyotes see in the blue spectrum which means they can see the blue which will probably leap out of the surrounding colored flora and terrain, but the gray shade of the shirt will probably not.
Coyotes will focus on one object to the exclusion of all others. Watch them as they approach motion decoys or dogs. They don't seem to recognize the shape of legs stretches out straight or crossed, and I have seen them come in focused on those blue shapes while ignoring the dull colored shape growing out of the blue one.
I honestly don't mind if the callers I take out wear blue jeans or not as long as they remain still.

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 10:31 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I wonder how many little kids you have traumatized today. [Smile] If the easter bunnies have an Anti-Defamation League you an probably expect a letter from their attorney.
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 10:42 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor, poor, poor Easter Bunny!

Steve, is that a personal pic?

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 11:12 AM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Have no fear!!!! The Easter Bunny Class of 2007 has just graduated and are on the way!!!!

-

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 11:26 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Who really knows what canines see, but research seems to say their eye for detail is quite poor, approximately six times poorer than the human eye. A canine they say, has around 20/75 vision, compared to a sharp eyed human with 20/20. In other words, what a coyote can see "clearly" and with detail at 20 feet, a human could clearly see at 75 feet.
Where their eyesight shines of course, is the ability to percieve movement, and their very keen nocturnal and dim light vision.
Im not onboard with the concern of a coyote making out a "human form", how in the hell would some coyotes even know what a human form is, compared to other forms....a fence post or a mailbox or an old 55 gallon drum? Kind of like the "shiny stuff" concern we hear about in magazines and other forums. There is shiny stuff all over the desert here on a crisp,cold winter morning, frost on the yucca stalks and fronds, grass covered with frost and glinting in the morning sun, cans,bottles etc. Yet, so many wring their hands over a scope not camoed or a stainless steel rifle barrel they are worried about a coyote seeing.
Im convinced, it comes down to movement being the primary concern,at least in the area of being seen, which has been confirmed all ready by some of you guys. As long as I have my facemask,and am scooted up against something, a mesquite, beargrass clump,stump, rock, whatever, I feel very comfortable in my hide.

Posts: 1629 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Steve Craig
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 11:45 AM      Profile for Steve Craig           Edit/Delete Post 
Randy's pic should cheer up all those poor wittle kids, and keep the attorney's away for a while. Just goes to show that wabbits are a renewable resource.

Joe, i picked them up off a trapping forum somewhere. Us trappers are crude you know.

Vic, Right on man!

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 12:19 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with what Vic said,and that's kind of the rule of thumb I live by.If I'm up against some kind of brush and limit my movement to the bare minimum,that's about as good a camo as you're going to find anywhere.Regardless of what color camo or other clothes you wear.

And JeremyKS,

In answer to your question about facemasks.I never use one to cover my face for camo factor,but will use a camo ski mask when it gets really cold for protection from the wind/cold,same with gloves.

Good Hunting Chad

[ June 23, 2007, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1614 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 12:31 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always have thought that coyotes' vision was overrated. A real effort to make them super dogs. If the coyote vision was that good it's very hard to explain one coming a couple of hundrd yard across the open and then getting a snout full of buckshot from a camo'd man at ten yards. More than likely wouldn't happen to a human. What do coyotes look at when running uphill, downhill through broken brush etc.

Sure they pick up on motion, but at the same time a ungloved hand working a handcall to a hungup coyote can be the trick to get his attention. Maybe they think it's a bird? They focus in on it, but once they start coming they lose focus untill they really close the distance or stop to re-focus. That's why I try not to let them get to close. That re-focus is the 3 seconds you get to shoot a coyote once you get him stopped.

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 01:25 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ March 28, 2010, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5070 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 02:11 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, cool pic. Remember Mud Lake, Id. back in 81-82?
quote:
Im not onboard with the concern of a coyote making out a "human form", how in the hell would some coyotes even know what a human form is, compared to other forms....a fence post or a mailbox or an old 55 gallon drum
If a coyote has never seen a human or is too thick to recognize a human form, it isn't neccessary to camo up for that animal anyway.
I cannot recall how many times I have seen coyotes coming in, spot one of our partners and do a panic spin out the way he came. They don't do that when they see a fence post, mailbox or drum.

Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 02:57 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a tractor is a good example. They can be both a threat and a non-threat, to the coyote (usually dependent on what is being farmed).

I had a recent coversation with a local guy, tractor farmer and avid waterfowler, interested in taking up predator calling said, "All the coyotes Ive got have been just oportunistic mostly while driving tractor. They are not at all afraid of the equipment and will run right up along side ya.".

He also related a tale of calling a coyote.

In a conversation about calling, I advised him "Coyotes get call shy for life, so public hunting can be tough."

He replied;
"I learned that today (LOL) I finally got one to respond to me but I think I over called it or it saw me move as it kinda did catch me off guard. It was cautious as I had killed its buddy in the same field a few weeks ago off my tractor. I just thought I would give some distress calls off the front of the tractor before I went into the field to spray and of course I didnt have my gun with me. He was on a bee-line from about 250 yards out straight at me. He then stopped and looked away so I made my move back into the cab and started loading up, I think he heard my action close and he was outa sight. Not sure if he was still coming and when he left my view I started calling really hard and I think I shoulda been more subtle. I wanted to stay and saw what happened but I was a pretty hard timeline so I had to go. So not really sure if I blew it or not but notched it up as a learning experience.."

That coyote's whole world changed, when he realized the guy in the tractor wasn't a grazer, and he's not only the competition, but he may actually be a threat.
At the very least (I believe) the coyote knew my friend got in the cab "with the dying rabbit", so he wasn't getting any of it.

Rich,

I could probably get you access to a bunch of semi-private huntable land through this guy (up north around Blaine).

Krusty  -

[ June 23, 2007, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 03:24 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Higgins you have made some of the things I have done, can't say look normal ,but at least I can tell my wife someone else does it.

I believe coyotes associate our shape and cadence of our movement to respond to. The bent over arms swinging duck walk, I prefer a voice howling while doing this, mimicing the howl from the coyote I am working.Even crawlin at times to close the distance.

I believe snow camo or calling in pure white conditions can be some of the toughest when it comes to getting busted on movement. Pretty tough background to work in.You are very exposed!

I do think blending as well as possible when moving through the country pays off. Same on the stand, we will never be invisible but slow movements will be tolerated.

I wear facemask, camo head to toe, gun etc. all painted, does it half to be, heck no, but it sure doesn't hurt anything.

My buddies from Iowa come out in the winter with their realtree hardwoods on our bare burned out pastures, desert camo country, and the coyotes do react different than I see the rest of the year, their movements are picked up on real quick. They look very dark and very big moving on those pastures. You usually see them searching to get the wind quicker and more often.

I don't believe the coyote came out of the box with a fear of a human shape, call shy etc. we make em either smarter or dead. Getting them dead when they do commit the majority of the time would make things boring wouldn't it. I think this would happen more often if people would just respect and understand the critter they are working with not to mention thinking a little more longterm when it comes to a calling plan.

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters