The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Who wears scented Deodorant?? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Who wears scented Deodorant??
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2007 03:32 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Keekee, is that a picture of that Higgins fella that is so good at calling those urbanized coyotes and just wrote that piece on misting? I'm pretty sure I recognize him. He looks to be putting on some of that special camo he helped develop for hunting his city coyotes - Mossy Oak Landfill. Hahahaha

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
RoyalOaksTaxidermy
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1532

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2007 03:42 PM      Profile for RoyalOaksTaxidermy   Author's Homepage   Email RoyalOaksTaxidermy         Edit/Delete Post 
Alot of the writers are here? How cool is that [Smile] Be like rubbing elbows with celebs [Smile]
I have been going thru some of the other posts. Alot are old and had a heck of a time getting them to show up.. If I clicked on the button it just showed no new posts.. Oh well Ill figure it out soon enough [Smile] Its a pretty neat forum...Lots of interesting reading [Smile]

--------------------
Royal Oaks Taxidermy
AKA CoyoteHuntress

Posts: 12 | From: Valley Springs, California | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2007 03:58 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Coyotehuntbabe; Find the window that says 'Show topics from....' and drop it down to the bottom. Lotts'a reading.

You have to be careful around here. Some of these guys have a real strange sense of humor.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2007 04:34 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Look at the windshield in that pic. I asked KeeKee to let me video him so he invites me to Ohio and Kentucky during a hurricane. That's redneck raingear that I'm putting on a $4000 camera. It's sold in most stores
under the name of Hefty if anyone is in the market. Three holes cut in the bag makes a pretty good rain poncho.
I do look younger in that pic which was taken 4-5 years ago. Hangin' on this board with you guys has turned my hair grey.
quote:
Mossy Oak Landfill. Hahahaha
Great idea, Lance. They will make the perfect gift for the man that has everything.... and the
man that has nothing. I know what I'm sending you for Christmas. [Smile]

IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2007 05:37 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Janitor, that is amusing. Tell me More?
The guy that wrote the article about misting is here?
There's also this guy that writes about raccoon hunting in the daylight and he says he kills a few coyotes then and now. That's laughable! He writes like 9,000 articles a year or something.
Is he here?
In the same issue with Al Pacino (see KeeKee's pick. I swear that's Al in a plastic bag) spraying piss all over himself there is this guy writing about hunting coyotes in the East. Spectacular article! I wish he would come here.
Then that guy that uses dogs (sometimes) in his coyote hunting has an article each month in PX. Clyde Taylor or some such.
There were some callmakers here that I have heard of that make Spectacular Howlers and distress calls. Legends and all. The Janitor himself has a lengthy resume as well or so I hear.
Too bad that last summer the Janitor ran off all the Heavy Hitters. The forum was loaded with celebs back then. Now there are just a bunch of know-it-alls and me.

[ August 01, 2007, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: smithers ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2007 05:56 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You have really got to be kidding, smithers? I don't run anybody off, and the only "heavy hitter" [Smile] that is missing is Byron and it's by his choice, he's certainly not banned and I didn't run him off.

Anyway, every one of those you mention is on this board and contributes regularly.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31467 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2007 09:43 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, That danged Cdog writes so many stories for cheap, that I can't even get a note of rejection out of the TPC any more. [Mad]

I'm actually having to consider sending my stuff to Predator Extreme [Eek!]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2007 04:20 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, this place is getting ridiculous. You can't throw a rock around here without hitting someone that had a hunting article out last week. And if they didn't write it, they were featured in one. Good grief! [Big Grin]

Behle, you can come on over to PX anytime.

[ August 02, 2007, 04:22 AM: Message edited by: 3 Toes ]

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2007 04:31 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Heck, Tim, I've been so busy with taxidermy and prettying up the wife's house that I haven't had much time at all for six months to even use the new laptop and camera I bought just for writing. But, if you're wanting a rejection letter, just tell me when you need it and I'll see what I can do for you.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2007 07:35 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know they are here. [Eek!]
It should be the: Sure Writes Alot Board

I can write a few articles about confrontation in the woods. More than a couple guys have threatened bodily harm when I "ruined" their deer hunt by "blowing those Goddamn whistles."
and "scaring everything within 3/4's of a mile."

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2007 08:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Sort of a roving ambassador, ain't cha?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

scruffy
Knows what it's all about
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2007 10:15 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of predator publications, are there going to be any "predator hunting" or predator hunter" or whatever that magazine was that I bought the issues of last winter, the one that had Lance's coon calling articles in it???

Or did it pass away?

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2007 10:34 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance,

The part that chaps my a$$ about Paul's silence, isn't that he may not like what I've written. But he told me that I had to send in 5 pictures with each article.

Writing about hunting or trapping is easy, but getting a good, high quality picture isn't. If he doesn't want to buy what I send him, it sure would be nice if he would let me know so that I can use those pictures with something else. My submissions are not limited by the number of stories that I can write, but by the number of pictures that I have available to send with the article.

You guys who write regular columns have it easy, all you have to provide is a single mug shot!

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2007 10:55 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
The picture deal sucks Tim, I have to furnish a few for my column and of course my old camera wasn't good enough. So $1500 later I have a camera thats "good enough". All I can hope is that I can sell a few also to justify the cost of my new toy. They said they would buy some so I am holding them to it.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2007 02:03 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
A bunch of crap. They want fine detail, 10 megapixtel and print on grainy pulp paper? What do they pay for a used photo, $100 bucks? But then, they do use old archive stuff of the good old days? If that's good enough, why the requirement for $1500 equipment so that they can sell a ton of magazines while paying you a hundred bucks? I guess it's because people are waiting in line to get their articles published and they have no shortage of volunteers?

It would be nice if they were responsive, and told you what was needed to bring your article up to standards? Maybe you just don't have the name recognition of a Homan or a Higgins?

Good hunting. LB

edit: or a Taylor

[ August 02, 2007, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2007 03:22 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, that pet coyote should really pay off if the magazines want pictures. Just think of the "action" photos you could get with your golden goose.

We used to have a guy living close by who was a outdoor/wildlife photographer. He is now very well known and writes in numerous magazines mostly about big game, but covers preds, birds, guns, etc... When he was starting out in the industry, he did anything to make a buck and it was mostly selling photos to hunting and fishing rags.

I went with him a few times on photo shoots and was surprised to find out that most everything was set up or staged to some extent. He would pull fully feathered turkeys out of the freezer and take photos when the light and the background was to his liking. He would haul a buck deer to all points of the compass to take photos with different backgrounds and different people posing with the trophy. Same thing with a bobcat or whatever critter he needed pictures of. He would have people wear backpacks with loads of what looked to be elk quarters and antlers.

He never even bothered to try taking pics of wild animals on public land. He went to National Parks and private reserves for his animal photos. Which isn't surprising considering the time it would take to get a picture of say a Mt. lion in the wild.

[ August 02, 2007, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2007 07:16 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
They're looking for some submissions now. If you have something on the hard drive that you think would be a sell, send it to me, I'll give it a once over to tweak it for you if you want and we can go from there. I've personally never been held to the picture issue, but do try to furnish them when I can.

scruffy,

Predator Hunting is two issues a year. November and December. Far from dead. In fact, each of those two issues s e l l more copies than any other predator calling magazine in circulation today. I, too, question why they don't make it a subscription-based read, but I don't get any answers when I ask either. The time is ripe for it.

Staged pictures are pretty common. I don't have the type of equipment to get action shots, so mine are all after-the-fact hero shots for the most part. Back in the day, I did some stuff for Buckmasters Whitetail Magazine under Russ Thornberry and they preferred photo support in slide format since the acuity of the pictures was so much better. I don't know if that's an option for them now or not. Everything is pretty much done digitally. Text is submitted electronically, cut and pasted to editing, then imported into a program called Quark which does their layout and paginating. Pics are imported the same way after color adjutments, etc.

Hell, I'm not that old and my first several years writing, I sent thing in that were hand typed on a Brother typewriter. I have a 75-year old antique typewriter on the shelf in my office and I keep thinking that one of these days, I'm going to type an article on it and send it in via snail mail just to see what happens. LOL

And if you're only making a hundred bucks a piece, you're submitting to the wrong rag. LOL

- Lance Homman

[ August 02, 2007, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2007 08:18 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny, Do you think I should leave the green collar on, or take it off? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2007 08:38 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, leave it on, mess with the editors brain. Besides if you take it off some road shooter will blow her away in front of the camera.
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2007 08:55 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Heck yeah, leave it on. Then tell the readers that coyotes have become so smart they now masquerade as domestic dogs to fool the hunter.

Like Rich said, just think about the letters Ralph will get when the readers spot the collar.

Like they say, no such thing as bad publicity. [Smile]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2007 09:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, as Lance admitted, all those "action" photos are staged anyway? Somebody told me that he uses his stuffed mounts for his action shots....which explains a lot. [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

edit: one suggestion, Cal. You might consider using one of those cool camo collars, instead of green? How about a trendy coyote ruff collar? Dang, I should charge money for this stuff? Huntmaster's Consultants, Inc.

edit: I can just picture Lance "sneeking up" on a shoulder mount! bwahaha

[ August 03, 2007, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2007 05:32 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Cdog, did you intentionally bold one of the M's in your last name so that someone? would notice that they spelled your name wrong?

What is a Byron?

3Toes, I think it'd be better if ya threw a shock collar on her and then photoraphed her. The vibrant green is a nice touch.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2007 05:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, subtle, but I noticed.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2007 08:28 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I'm picky about how anyone spells my name (or anyone else's for that matter) but I was once told by a preceptor in my EMS day, when it comes to calling a patient by their name (versus "sweetie, buddy or 'you') that "your name is the first thing you're given when you're born, the only thing that is truly uniquely yours while you're alive, and the only thing you take with you when you die, so it's best to use it correctly." I'm just saying...

I knew Rich (Huggins) for about four years before he finally began pronouncing it right. He still mispronounces it, but I think it's just to yank my chain.

Leonard,

Have you noticed that all my coyote action shots are of coyotes peering out of thick foliage so all you can see is the head? I call them thru hedges all the time. LOL If that was the case, I've cornered the taxidermy market on mounting dead looking coyotes. On the other hand, if you're right, I consider it a compliment to my work that I've been able to fool everyone in the country but you up to now.

Cal,

Take off the collar and hold them in place with a lasso-in' rope, then tell them that shooting them with a gun got too easy and you've done gone to roping them instead.

[ August 04, 2007, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2007 08:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, quit whining, I was just yankin' ur chain, ya big crybaby! If Higgins can get away with it, why can't I?

edit: Then why, pray tell, don't you use you uniquely given name on Huntmasters? Higgins does.

edit: I still think the idea of Cdog sneaking up on a shoulder mount sticking out of the bushes is hilarious!

[ August 04, 2007, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters