The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » I need tips or ideas please (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I need tips or ideas please
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2008 10:58 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Brown204 is correct; Most coyotes around here also are not affraid of a snowmobile, unless they have been chased by one. We have a few trails that run along creeks and in the river bottoms on the ice and if there are any coyotes around they just hold up in heavey cover nearbye and let the machines pass, about the same as a farm tractor, or pick-up they get used to them being around... T.A.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5083 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2008 11:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
See? There you go. Can't say a damned thing about coyotes without contradiction. I have been lead to believe that coyotes are scared to death of pickups, for example. I know that crows sit on a pole and watch vehicles drive by but take off when they stop. Then, there is this concept of hiding a vehicle on a stand. Yet, I routinely see coyotes cross a road with a parked truck in plain sight, coming to a call? Go figure. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31490 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cayotaytalker
DOES NOT TEACH/SUSPECTED OKIE
Member # 1954

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2008 12:22 PM      Profile for Cayotaytalker   Email Cayotaytalker         Edit/Delete Post 
Coyote is just another word for contradiction.This is the kind of post i like to read.

--------------------
Now thats prime coyote country!

Posts: 403 | From: LasVegas Nevada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2008 12:38 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Coyotes aren't scared of snowmobiles yet hide in heavy cover when they pass? Interesting... The same coyotes aren't scared of snowmobiles, but won't come into distress or howls because they are too cautious. Again, very interesting.
Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2008 01:41 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny said what I was thinking, but wasn't going to say...

Coyotes in these parts, that truly are not afraid of tractors, actively work the mice and such right behind the tractor. The ones that go hide in the brush, are the ones we think are afraid of tractors...

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2008 02:53 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL guys: What i was trying to say is the coyotes will just lay low and wait for the snowmachine or pick-up to pass bye rather than bolt out of cover and run off into parts unknown. As of the last two weeks most of the coyotes we have been getting have been spotted out in the open fields dureing daylite hours..Yesterday while out hunting the crew decided to meet and talk about what area we would go to hunt next. The guys where all parked on the road about 2 blocks north of a small vacant grove and have been sitting there for 5 minutes or more. I came down the road from the south heading north to where they were parked,i was still a couple hundred yards south of grove when a coyote comes out of the south-west corner of grove just walking. You would think if the coyote was affraid of the guys parked on the road he would of come out of the grove at a dead -run..Hmmm [Razz]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5083 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2008 03:46 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Dave, hard to argue with that kind of logic.
IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2008 04:47 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Quote; "Coyote is just another word for contradiction". Cayotaytalker

Maybe we should carve that into stone somewhere.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7588 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
6mm284
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2008 03:00 AM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
brn 204, are the vocal reponses to you a buggar bark or a social howl response. If it is a buggar bark you can probably assume you were detected before you ever called or the coyotes have heard too many calls.
Posts: 198 | From: N46 06 E91 11 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2008 05:01 AM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Leonard calling around skidoos doesn't work very well. I won't say that they are afraid of skidoo's but I do feel that they are cautious about being out in the open when they hear a skidoo.

I feel strongly enough about this that I won't waste my time calling in skidooed(?) areas.

Albert

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2008 05:30 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Coyotes are very fond of and respond well in the Arctic Cat areas. They may have a different response in the SkiDoo areas.
browning204
Member # 821

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2008 06:01 AM      Profile for browning204           Edit/Delete Post 
Now I see my error, we use Polaris sleds!

to answer some of the points mentioned,

as far as I know, nobody calls that area. Just Deer, Moose and Turkey hunters will be in there.

The howls where weird. Barks, yips howls and all kinds of noise came from the coyotes. But if I would stop for a minute or two, they would start the same routine as to try to get me to go again.
They would just go and go for a long while.

Posts: 167 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2008 04:18 PM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
204, is the second child here yet??? I went through the waiting for one and that was enough for me.

If there was anything resembling a bark you were probably busted. I think Sceery called it a threat-bark-howl or some-such. Bad news, either way, though if you can watch one doing it it is kind of fun to watch them bounce around with stiff front legs. You can play with them and make lots of noise but they know what you are the whole time and will probably remain conveniently out of sight. They know what you are and they are making sure everybody else does too.
Just my amateur take, I may be way off base. Thrown out for conversation's sake.

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
browning204
Member # 821

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2008 12:03 PM      Profile for browning204           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes he is here, he came wensday afternoon. We have been busy trying to get our daughter used to him being here and such.
Posts: 167 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2008 01:27 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Browning!
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2008 06:28 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Browning!!! I'm really happy for you bro'!!! Now get back to bed, you'll need your sleep. [Smile]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters