The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Decoys (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Decoys
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 06:31 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
The only decoy I ever used was a tanned rabbit hide that I put a weasle ball in. I would hang it on the bottom strand of a fence so the ball was on the ground. It looked real good. It worked best on snow.

Some coyotes would set eye on it and make a beeline to the gun and others would stop and stare.

Foxes couldnt stand it and would attack. LOL But those goofy bastards arent too bright to start with.

I quit using it. I think the extra movement getting it all set up was doing more harm that the decoy was doing good.

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 07:21 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
scruffy,

Opportunistic shooters and road hunters are a very real concern, and one I shared with the manufacturers from the get-go. Especially since we had a young man killed earlier this season while lying amidst his spread of goose decoys when he was shot by a road hunter shooting at what he thought were geese with a rifle.

At the NE KS hunt, those guys were there and using a Lone Howler. At one point, on Saturday morning, a truck came down a nearby road and they told me that all three of them puckered up a bit when the reality of the risks hit them all at the same time.

What I have done is to stencil the word "DECOY" in four-inch tall block letters on one side of the coyote, and I place that side toward whichever side I feel an errant shot is most likely to come from. Of course, as I have told several friends, tongue in cheek, some of the yahoos in this area are so damned stupid that they might put ol' Leroy in the crosswires, see the word "DECOY", then tell their mouthbreathing buddies, "By Gawd,... look at that! Them cagey sumbitches are trying to make us think they're decoys now, so we won't shoot at them. Damn, they's smart!" WHAM!!!

As far as your suggestion that studies be done to await judgment on the decoy's effectiveness, that's a good idea, but impractical. Even doing every other stand like you suggest wouldn't work, because in order for the results to be truly accurate, two groups would have to be considered - those with the decoy, and those without. And each pair would have to be done under the exact same conditions, which is logistically impossible. Therefore, the products are introduced and only time will tell. Again, I think these deeks will work under certain circumstances, and at certain times of the year, but aren't going to be the silver bullet, 24-7-365. The user has to know enough about what he's doing to have a good idea when they'll work, and when they won't.

[ February 08, 2008, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Knows what it's all about
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 08:49 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As far as your suggestion that studies be done to await judgment on the decoy's effectiveness, that's a good idea, but impractical. Even doing every other stand like you suggest wouldn't work, because in order for the results to be truly accurate, two groups would have to be considered - those with the decoy, and those without. And each pair would have to be done under the exact same conditions, which is logistically impossible. Therefore, the products are introduced and only time will tell.
Hey a guy can dream of impartial testing reports can't he? Impractical or not LOL? Maybe one day comsumer reports will start rating predator hunting gear??? [Razz]

And speaking of the decoy's effectiveness. Calvin helped win the contest with I assume the minaska e-caller that also had a prey decoy attached. The other magazine writer you mentioned that had two bobcats come in to the decoy hissing also had a prey decoy glued to his coyote decoy's nose.

Does the coyote decoy's effectiveness seem to increase when a prey decoy is also placed with him or near him?

DAA and Greenside, and many others over the years, have noted a coyote decoy scaring some coyotes away, and in this thread theorizing that it was the posture. Is the addition of a prey decoy lesson the number that will get spooked, or is the posture of this decoy such that it doesn't spook that many?

And did an e-caller placed with the decoy seem to help the effectiveness any?

I know, alot of questions, and if your article covers it just tell me to buy it. I'll try my best to find it. However I haven't found anywhere in Iowa that carries predator hunting magazine this year (the magazine I assume it's going into?). Last year it was at my local walmart and the barnes and nobles. This year it's at neither...

Personally (my opinions to follow, which aren't worth anything LOL...), if a coyote has ever had a bad experience coming to the sound of a distressed animal it's looking for the predator causing the distressing and/or it's circling to smell the predator causing of the distressing. If the coyote sees or smells an owl or a fox or a stray cat the coyote will react accordingly, likely coming in to take the dinner plate from the other predator. If the coyote coming in sees or smells a bigger domestic dog or human he'll likely leave because he likely doesn't need dinner that bad to risk getting hurt or killed. If the coyote sees or smells another coyote it depends on where the approaching coyote falls in the pecking order, his past experiences taking dinners from other coyotes, how hungry he is (fall buffet verses January sub zero ice coating the ground for a week) the approaching coyote might come in or he might flare off. A double would be more likely to come in verses flare off under this thoery.

And of course there is always "curiosity", which sometimes comes from sensory overload, that causes coyotes to do strange things breaking out of the molds we shove them in, like the coyote standing downwind of you and you swung around on and shot while it stood there looking at the decoy and you while his little brain is possibly overloaded with stimuli.

In the end, based on how I think things work, this decoy will cause some coyotes to flare off. It will over load some coyotes in some situations and allow for shots on some coyotes that normally wouldn't get shot. It will trigger a pair or dominant single too see the cause of the distressed animal and come in to take the dinner plate. So it will "work", but like you said, not in every situation, and unfortunately much of it's effectiveness is determined by the coyotes responding to the call and where on the totum pole they sit.

With all that said, any insider news of a fox decoy on the horizon? Maybe a hawk or owl? Maybe a little puppy dog? Any predator lower down on the food chain than a coyote? [Wink]

later,
scruffy

[ February 08, 2008, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 09:01 AM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance, Tell Flambeau to make that thing look like it is feeding on something. Turkey decoys started out in an alert position, and when someone finally got the bright idea to make them look like they were eating they became more affective. In my small brain it seems logical that the most comfortable sight to a hungry coyote would be the sight of a feeding coyote.

Please have them send my royalty checks direct to my offshore account.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 09:26 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Scruffy,

In response to ninety percent of your questions, hell if I know.

In response to your remark that the Wilsons were using a Minaska (Makers of the Minaska Bandit electronic caller at www.minaskaoutdoors.com ) caller in conjunction with the decoy, my new standard response to that is that I don't have a comment. Otherwise, my editor gets hateful phone calls and e-mails regarding my conflicting affiliations with T&PC and our advertisers. I feel almost certain that any ol' electronic caller would suffice as effectively as what was being used in this instance. Having said that, it stands to reason that if you're taking precautions to draw the coyote's visual attention away from you to a decoy forty yards away, why - pray tell - would you use mouth calls to defeat the very purpose of the decoy competing with it for said coyote's attention? Just something to ponder.

quote:
based on how I think things work, this decoy will cause some coyotes to flare off
I agree, but with all due respect, blowing on a mouth call or hitting the "go" button on an electronic caller - regardless of make and model - tends to have the same effect at times in this area by this time of the year, to which I defer further supportive evidence to Leonard. [Smile]

tl -

Good idea, and with the Lone Howler, you can set him up in three different postures: standing, sitting, or lying down. The legs are removable for whichever pose you want. And I guess a guy could always detach the front legs and put him nose down like he's eating something if he wanted. Hell, I even thought of tying a string to him, or hooking him to the remotely controlled other decoy I have so at the most opportune time, I could make the decoy fall to one side and pee all over itself in a show of total submission. [Wink]

From what I've seen, they do bring in a few coyotes that other wise may not have been killable. Can I say that in absolute confidence? Nope. I can't re-live those moments and recreate the situation without the decoy. This ain't "Groundhog Day", but wouldn't that be nice.

In truth, my long-term diabolical plan is to do everything I can to encourage everyone out there getting into calling coyotes to buy all the different gizmos and gadgets. Each time something new comes out, it will be the "new, best thing" that you "just have to have". And you will. As each gets used by more and more guys, the coyotes will adapt and become less and less responsive until, eventually, no one will be able to call coyotes!!!

At some point, and who knows when this will be, the trend will abruptly reverse and the newest new idea will be to go minimalist - nothing but a call and you. The coyotes will never see you coming. And me? I'll be having one helluva garage sale! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Bwahahahahaha!!!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

(Edited to add the Minaska website address, just because...)

[ February 08, 2008, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 09:35 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh,... one other thing. This piece is slated for T&PC in the next few months.

Now, if you guys wanna chastise me for writing pieces on new products and concepts being introduced to the predator calling world, feel free. I can take it, But before doing so, please understand that I've been writing for about fifteen years now. '92 was my first appearance in T&PC. One thing that has become painfully obvious as the industry grows is that you can only write so much about the same fundamental techniques. Like it or not, this sport is growing and changing. Very quickly. If I, and T&PC, were to choose to only cover the same old time tested and road proven basic techniques time and again, we wouldn't last very long. I'm not making that mistake again. Learned that lesson in '91 in my last gig as Chief Technical Writer for North America's largest buggy whip manufacturer. Once burned, lesson learned. Ya know? [Wink]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 09:43 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Decoys for Bobcats...Sure I will use an Enticer feather decoy once in a while.

For coyotes though I don't waste my time.Just one more thing to pack to a stand.Hell I have a hard enough time getting motivated enough to carry the FX5 to each stand.lol Is it costing me coyote maybe-maybe not, I can't really say for sure.But not really enough to make me decide to carry one to my stand.Plus if you shoot a coyote or two then it's a real pain in the ass carrying all that stuff back,and wastes more time that I could be calling.FWIW

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 10:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, maybe greenside and Dave have mentioned a little detail I should have previously? To just use a generic word like dek or decoy and ramble on, this can result in some misunderstanding. Since the original post concerns a coyote decoy and the object is targeting coyotes, it is a legitimate concern to discuss failures; those times when a coyote or a pair of coyotes reacted negatively. This is my concern, yeah sure, it may have helped once and hurt once; BFD. So you lug that awkward decoy hither and yon.

But, it is less common that a prey type decoy will be a negative influence on a coyote's reaction, but that has happened too. The problem I have in finding a place where the coyote can see it from a distance. If he doesn't see it until he bursts through the brush, well, you already have him in front of you, so shoot him already!

It's not that a decoy of that type (critter type)won't help, especially if there are cats in the area, it's the law of diminishing returns. Too much junk. A coyote decoy is a whole different situation.

Good hunting. LB

[ February 08, 2008, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 10:34 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In response to your remark that the Wilsons were using a Minaska (Makers of the Minaska Bandit electronic caller at www.minaskaoutdoors.com ) caller in conjunction with the decoy, my new standard response to that is that I don't have a comment. Otherwise, my editor gets hateful phone calls and e-mails regarding my conflicting affiliations with T&PC and our advertisers. I feel almost certain that any ol' electronic caller would suffice as effectively as what was being used in this instance. Having said that, it stands to reason that if you're taking precautions to draw the coyote's visual attention away from you to a decoy forty yards away, why - pray tell - would you use mouth calls to defeat the very purpose of the decoy competing with it for said coyote's attention? Just something to ponder.

Actually, it looks like my comment on the caller kind of derailed my main point.

The minor point was that the e-caller attracted the coyotes attention to the decoy. Which kind of answers Leonards question of where to put it where the coyote can see it. You can put the decoy in an elevated place, as previously mentioned, and hope every coyote sees it and every truck hunter misses it, or you can put an e-caller under it and attract the coyotes attention to it with it's ears.

But the e-caller position was a minor point...

The major point/question was, is the coyote decoy alone as effective as the coyote decoy AND a prey decoy (be it a minaska, fox pro, predator supreme, tanned bunny, feather, cotton balls, etc)???

The contest win picture and the hissing bobcats example have both coyote decoy and prey decoy together. So was the combination of decoys more deadly? I assume an e-caller was under/near the decoy for the contest coyotes and hissing bobcat setups as well.

Just like there's a benefit to putting an e-caller under the coyote decoy (which I asume you did on your coyote, after "pondering" it as you suggested LOL), to get the approaching coyotes attention onto the decoy and keep it off the caller, is there the same level of benefit to adding a prey decoy to the setup?

As was mentioned, a feeding coyote decoy might be better than a standing coyote decoy. Well, is pulling a coyote decoys front legs off so it's head down more effective than adding a prey decoy?

Maybe we need a big foam dead cow to put the coyote decoy next to?

Part of me is curious to know how much better the setup with coyote and prey decoys used together with an e-caller works compared to just the coyote decoy and e-caller alone compared to coyote decoy and hand calls compared to just hand calls or just ecaller? What is worth carrying to each stand???

And the other part of me, is where does this end? A foam dead rotting cow with a coyote decoy or three feeding on it?

Is coyote calling going to be like waterfowl calling with a 'decoy spread'?

For some I'm sure it will be. In the end I'm curious to know how much better the bigger spreads would work. Even if I never use one because I answer for myself that it isn't worth it.

The predator calling world is certainly changing, and I don't fault anyone for writing about it or getting caught up in it. I'm not blasting you for doing it, so please don't take my posts wrong. I've bought lots of gimmicks, and might buy more, it's a "hobby".

later,
scruffy

[ February 08, 2008, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 10:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good one! Latest trend, a decoy spread.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 10:50 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Foam dead cow. That's funnier than hell. But, I'll be sure to pass it on. [Wink]

--------------------

JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 10:54 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
And don't forget to put the lion's share of the decoys on the upwind side of the blind and leave a hole in front to encourage them to land in range.....

Oh, wait! That IS waterfowl hunting...

Just fun-ing. I won't be buying a coyote decoy any time soon. Because of the way that I hunt it is a rare day where I can see a coyote that can not be shot(at?).

[ February 08, 2008, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: JoeF ]

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 10:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought that Jack Robert's practice of using a "fake" plastic trash bag, out in the middle of a field, for shooting crows was clever as hell.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 11:13 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't come up with this idea/recipe for crows but I know the guy who did:

Fresh snow, one gray boot sock, one bottle of water stained red with food coloring. Stain snow liberally. Call crows, shoot freely until thoroughly done.

Works, too.

scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 11:17 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Foam dead cow. That's funnier than hell. But, I'll be sure to pass it on. [Wink]
lol, I'd laugh if someone made one. [Razz]

Of course it might not be as strange as "predator pile". Have you written an article on that yet?

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 11:36 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bite. What is "predator pile"?
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 11:48 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a pile of bait in a bag I guess. It's onsale at cabelas for a dollar off, must not be selling well?

Here's the link to take a look.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0054318228954a&navCount=1&podId=0054318&parentId=cat20835&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat2071 2-cat20835&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20835&hasJS=true

What will they think of next?

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 11:50 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
From the description:

Coax predators within shooting range or lure them into your trap with this lifelike gut pile made up of a highly concentrated hunger stimulant. It's the first and only predator attractant that is edible and smells like a fresh gut pile.

later,
scruffy

[ February 08, 2008, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 11:54 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Some famous circus guy made a statement about a sucker being born every minute. This falls in that category.

If a guy has time to watch a "pile" like that I can certainly recommend a staw bale topped with food scraps and bacon grease. More fun than can be imagined. Cheaper, too.

Who has the audacity to market something that they claim smells like a gut pile?

JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 11:56 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Edible, huh? Are these the same guys that make the panties that are marketed using the same claim?
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 11:59 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
There's gotta be a magazine article on it right? Somewhere? To market it?

Edit: Maybe the predator pile could be used with the coyote decoy? Pull the front legs off the decoy and put it face down in the pile like it's eating? It would have the look and smell of a coyote eating a gut pile?

later,
scruffy

[ February 08, 2008, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 12:10 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the 'Predator Pile' is an artificial gut pile.

I may consider getting one of these mounted coyote dekes. Even if it's more trouble than it's worth for hunting, it would look really cool on the patio, or would be great posed in the background of photos.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7582 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 12:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Be the first to use your coyote decoy without the mallard. Spice it up with the edible panties, instead.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 02:37 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Do the edible panties go on the coyote deke?

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 04:19 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
The problems here with calling coyotes Andy is they don't even want to come in for a look, if they did i would proably try a decoy then...
I've been talking with other callers in the state and from what i found out most of the coyotes are only going to come out looking for a screaming rabbit only under darkness. One caller i spoke with gave me an example of what the coyotes are doing.

This caller was makeing a stand just before dark along the edge of some CRP, He called for about 20 min. and nothing showed, as it got dark the moon and the snow gave him enough lite to see for a few hundred yards so he continued to call for an extra 15 min. A coyote finally walks out of the grass and stretches his legs and then a second pops out and does the same. Both coyotes just stood there totaly relaxed as if nothing was happening and then the caller shoots them both...
From what he has told me this has happened more than once, and now this guy only calls at night..
I did a suvery on P.M. for callers that hunted the southern half of the state, i asked how many stands are made and the results and also had them give out the general area that they call in.
Hunters that lived in the S-E corner are getting 1 coyote out of 10-20 stands made. This area by the way has big sections and lots of cover. The next group that was haveing some success was the guys from western side of state, which again has big sections with rolling hills and good cover, and less populated by farms. Now the callers that live close to my general area are lucky to call in and kill 2 coyotes a year with anywhere from 20 stands to a 100 stands made each year... Anyway for whats its worth i still go out and try to call one in, if it ever happens great, if not no big deal i'll get them anyway...

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5065 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters