The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » ask the panel of experts (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  12  13  14 

Author Topic: ask the panel of experts
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2010 04:05 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
One other question for the panel.

I just sold my great-grandpa's old rifle that I inherited, and now have $300 burning hole in pocket.

What would you recommend for custom rifle that I can have built with my $300? Not sure on caliber yet... Nothing too fancy, just action, barrel, and stock all done up right. It must shoot in the .2's and 3's, if I do my part. Oh yeah, I need a scope for it also. I want something decent, not junk.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JohnLK
Pro-Staff Great/Michigan Sector
Member # 1978

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2010 05:02 PM      Profile for JohnLK           Edit/Delete Post 
How far away should I palce my tree stand from my bait pile and what are the best calling sounds I should use?
Posts: 54 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2010 05:05 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
First off, go see my homey two dog balls on the corner south state street and w 400 south in Salt Lake City Ut. Tell'em dipstick sent ya. That is me secret Honey Hole BTW. A great place to take your son or grandson im my case to get his first fur. 2dog can hook you up with a Ak-47 that isn't on the books yet, and it hasn't been used too much. Then go see 2cool rackem and stackem. Him lives in south salt lake on state and east 2700. He can fixem up with a Baraska scope and a can. There's you go. A custom gun under 300 dimes.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1925 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2010 05:26 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard;
I think that the purple fence was at Donna's Ranch. She was a kindly widow woman who took in homeless orphaned girls and provided them a place to stay & work. Kinda brings a tear to the eye just thinking about it.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7582 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2010 05:40 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh,..........and the best .300 Mag fur load is to put a .17 cal pill in a .30 sabot over a case full of powder (doesn't matter what kind) and a magnum primer. Zips right thru with zero damage. Kills by transfering a static electric charge to the critter. Brings new meaning to the term "Zap 'em!!!!". [Big Grin]

Remember; we're here to help. [Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7582 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2010 06:02 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard...thanks for the advice about using the lamb to take care of my lion problem. Did a little driving around today and found a sheep stuck in a fence. However it had a yard gnome from Minnesota attached to it and the durn thing keeps bleating Tiiiim....Tiiiiim. Will that help or hurt?

Randy

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
predatorhunter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3559

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2010 06:09 PM      Profile for predatorhunter   Email predatorhunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok guys I've got one for ya. I was calling coyotes using my grizley bear in heat call when I spotted a big male coyote comming over a rise not 10yds. away but, when I stood up and yelled "freeze!" to stop him he turned and ran off!! What did I do wrong? I don't think he winded me because, I was wearing my Old Spice masking sent.

--------------------
In efforts to conserve electricity,the light at the end of the tunnel has now been turned off!

Posts: 76 | From: kentucky | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2010 06:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There's no cure for that one PH. You just have to shake it off and hope the coyote gods favor you on the next stand...which should be at least 30 minutes in length, btw. In almost every case, a lip squeak will stop them critters sideways at 50 yards, making for an easy chip shot.

AR, there ain't no lions in MO. Wishing won't make it so. Hunt Kansas, or Minneesota. There's a bag limit, be careful with that machinegun!

Darn good questions, men! Keep them coming.

PS What's your favorite song?

Good hunting. LB

[ February 08, 2010, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2010 06:37 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny,for $300 there's no need for a custom rig.Why waste the money lapping lugs,having actions trued,ect..ect..

Thats why Savage invented the Stevens 200,from what I hear they are capable of shooting 1/4"-1/2" groups with the least expensive factory ammo available.All for only about $300 bucks,give or take..

Not that I'm bitter,or don't take anyone for their word mind you..

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
predatorhunter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3559

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2010 06:49 PM      Profile for predatorhunter   Email predatorhunter         Edit/Delete Post 
A 50yrd. sideways shot; I think my Daisy Rough Rider will reach that far, if I do my part and use Ballistic BBs. Would you recomened a head shot or hind leg? I have only been at this for 28yrs. and have alot to learn. Ps. My favorite song is The Dying Bunny Blues! Drives the women crazy,(literally).

--------------------
In efforts to conserve electricity,the light at the end of the tunnel has now been turned off!

Posts: 76 | From: kentucky | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2010 07:08 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know the proper pronunciation of 'Lapua'?

[ February 08, 2010, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Locohead ]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2010 07:12 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Ever since I invented hunting from a ladder three years ago, I have been plagued with one question....fiberglass or wood?
Hope the panel can rid me of this quandary.

Maintain

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2010 07:24 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Wood without a doubt; but what kind??? Cheap pine, oak, teak, or a really cool Zebra Wood???
So many questions.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2010 07:27 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
La PUA, which is the feminine form, el puo would be masculine.

[ February 08, 2010, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2010 07:30 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ladders? We don need no stinkin' ladders!

what's the best scope out there for less than forty dollars?

[ February 08, 2010, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 05:45 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
The best scope under $40 is the chinese copy cat of the fine BSA tactical 2.5-20x W/40mm AO and illuminated reticle.

--------------------

Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 05:55 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
What is the best distress sound to call small mouth and large mouth bass?

--------------------

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 06:04 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Dudes, thanks for all the help!

This place is awesome!

You guys rock!!

Ever since my cousin saw a yote a couple years ago on the back forty, the rabbit and quail hunting has sucked! Now my uncle found his prize Angus bull dead and kinda eated up! We are thinking these yotes or the black mountin lyons are to blame and are ready to kill'em all and let Gawd sort'em out!

What ya think??

2009-2010 totals:

Dear-0
Bobcat-0
Fox-0
yote-1 (cousin seen one)
Stands made-1324
Shots taken-1789
Quail-2
rabbit-3
floozies picked up at truck stops-9 (me 3, cousin 6)

"It's not weather you get anything, it's if you had fun doing it!"

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 06:09 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
One other thing.

I heard yotes like to eat calfs???? [Mad] [Mad]

Is this true [Confused] [Confused] cause I was told when they howl the yotes have kilt something and we here them howel alot [Eek!] [Eek!]

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 06:31 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
None of your information helps here because of the government hunters. I saw their F16 come by here a week ago and so the coyote hunting here will never be any good again. Im pretty sure they shot a coyote in my aunt Lucy's back yard and I know they didn't have permission. They are assholes that just fly anywhere and kill everything including grizzlies and mountain lions. And I see their poison trap thingies everywhere and I'm sure they are illegal too. I don't know why the sheep farmers just don't call me cause I killed 3 coyotes in the last 7 years and I have every 7th sunday off of work and if theres not a good wrasslin match on tv sometimes I go coyote huntin. I'm sure I could handle all the problem coyotes for them.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 06:43 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Cal you aint got it near as bad as we do. Our Dept of Conservation is tradin turkeys for rattlesnakes with Arizona!! What the hell are they thinkin? I know this is true, my buddies wifes brothers friend saw them droppin them out of a plane with parachutes. And the turkeys have gone down around here about the same time. Bastards!! Government needs to stay out of huntin!!

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 09:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
How ya doin' CORN FED? This info is perfect for you Missourians. A viral GOLDMINE! We love you too!

Good hunting. LB

edit: listen, I ain't saying Yoga will improve your luck, but it shore can't hurt!

edit: if you are confident with the open sights you are used to, you don't need no high dollar glass. That's forty bucks you can spend on ammo.

edit: remember, when you hear them yodeldogs howl, they are on a fresh kill. That's the best time to sneak up on them and pick them off one at a time. They won't even notice!

(this stuff is GOLD for Missourians!)

edit: the best way to get over the case of the nerves is a breakfast of corn beef hash and a pint of whiskey. Cures constipation, as well.

[ February 09, 2010, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 09:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tip of the day:

Head down to the city dump at sundown. At the first crack of dawn, you will see coyotes all over the place. Have fun!

Good hunting. LB

edit: I gotta rest my noggin. I got more, lots more! It'll come to me after I lay down. (is that correct usage, Dan?) "lie"?

[ February 09, 2010, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dan Carey
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 09:43 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Its good enough for your use. [Smile]
IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 10:06 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the okay, Dan. I really appreciate it. Anything you can add, it's all gravy.

BTW, What's a "petard"? What's that all about?Sorta went out with high button shoes, didn't it?

Keep rackin' and stackin' 'em!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  12  13  14 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters