The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Spinners (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Spinners
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2010 06:11 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy; It depends on what gun I'm useing at the time if its a 17 rem. with 25 gr. bullets I will get a few from time to time. If I'm useing the 17 Pred. I have only had 2 spinners with that rifle since I've had it. Like i said I've never taken a coyote past 550 yds with any of my 17 cal.s, but I would'nt be affraid to take the shot if i get it.. I did mention one time i took a Red fox at 756 yds with my 22-250 ackley, it took about five shots but got it done.. Of course you wouldbe lucky if you could do it in 20 shots.. [Big Grin]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2010 07:09 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

I'll 'splain it to you....

That story was when I used a Mini-14. .223Rem. For five years, I've been using a .22-250 because I really don't care for the .223 as a consistently good coyote rifle.

Now, as far as being a bad shot, I've seen better than me, I've seen worse than me. I proudly sit someplace in the middle and can just as proudly say that both of my regular gunners know they better shoot fast when the opportunity presents itself or they'll be doing clean up. I don't really see the need to be able to kill coyotes at 500 yards because, 1) my gun isn't as effective as some at that range and I recognize my limits, 2) I walk for a living. The last thing I wanna do when I'm out recreating is to walk any further than I have to. And, 3) I can put that sumbitch in your mustache if you like them that close, and I've got witnesses to that boast. LOL

Going along with what Cal said, I use the 55-grn VMax now and very much prefer a broadside shot where I can punch them in the close-side shoulder. I always aim for the shoulder. With a 1-inch or so depth where that bullet comes apart, I hope that the energy of the round will be expended upon impact with that scapula and that the scaplua will blow all to hell and send about a ba-jillion pieces of bone fragment through the thorax, each one creating its own hellacious wound channel. Also, I really like the meat report. Bnag.... WHOP!

I use one rifle for coyotes and only one. It suits me and I'm proficient with it because it fits me almost perfectly. I used to see guys come to the range with a duffle bag full of sidearms to qualify and they were moderately okay with most of them, but not real good with any of them. After watching these guys muck up a half-dozen silhouettes, the range master finally put a 2-gun limit on things - your duty sidearm and your back up, if you had one. Nothing more. It was qualifying, not a friggin' gun show.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2010 07:12 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
LB, I knew by the bullets and calibers that you prefer that you subscribe to the theory that I do mostly. I prefer a gun/bullet combo that I can get into where a coyote lives from any angle regardless of the mess. I have played around with some light stuff successfully though. The 35 Berger in the 204 works, but I don't know why. The 50 Berger in the 20x47 Lapua seems to have a rather devastating effect and turns bone to mush. I have had two exit out the back with football size holes but the rest have just turned to jelly. I am impressed so far.

[ May 12, 2010, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: 3 Toes ]

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2010 07:33 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I've switched to 77 gr SMK's in my 223's and still believe in the 50 gr NBT in both my 22-250 and 223's. But runners and spinners do occur, center and shoot. I'm too old for the running crap.

One thing I know is not all bullets wind up where I want them to go, so you got to be prepared.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2010 07:39 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy,

If they did teach it in college, there's no fricken way you'd get me to take the course! Regular linear equations are kickin' my ass.

The one great thing about math, though, is that it tells the truth. And if it isn't telling the truth, one can prove it.

Lance,

Count me out, I've never had a spinner... yet. [Big Grin]

But the majority (2:3) have required a follow up shot. Both, more than likely, the result of a lack of patience. They were dead, they just didn't know it yet, and neither did I.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2010 07:52 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
No Tim, I wouldnt have taken 20 shots to get lucky enough to hit that fox.

I wouldnt have taken that shot. I have more respect for game than that. I would have either gotten closer by sneaking, driving or calling. Thats a long ways with a little bullet and a lot of things can happen between you and it and your damn sure not smart enough to figure it out without some flags. You just got shithouse lucky. That coupled with no morals will get you some foxes at long yardages.

Either that or you just flat ass lied about how far it was? Im just saying, you gotta look at all the possibilities. However, I doubt a big TV star like you would lie...

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2010 09:44 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wouldnt have taken that shot. I have more respect for game than that.
What the diff's weither a animal is shot at 15 ft or 500 yds. dead is dead..
Respect for a animal starts the minute you pull the trigger and continues on from there.
If you would go out and get a little exercise and set up a few targets and do a little practiceing you would find that targets at 3-4-5-600 yds are'nt that difficult to hit if you know youre rifle and how to dial it in..

I had a member from another site come over to my place last year and took him out to the range and set a target up for him at 500 yds. This guy never shot a rifle before other than a 22 L.R. and after a little instruction I let him have at it with the 17 Pred. and think he did pretty dam good for a first timer.. You could possably do just as well if you practiced doing it rather than sitting on the couch saying it can't be done or its all luck..
The V.H. has a Mr. coyote contest every July ( shooting event ) In Pierre S.D. you should seriously think about comeing up to it and see how its done and if you got the balls you could even enter.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/TA17Rem/Guns/IMG_1472.jpg[/IMG]]  -

[ May 12, 2010, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2010 10:12 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal brought up a good point as far as where to shoot a coyote. If a shooter has a good solid bullet with plenty of energy and dose'nt care about the hides then the shoulder would be the perfect place to hit them to break them down. The down side if the bullet is'nt up to the job is a 3 legged runner with only bone damage to the shoulder and surface tissue..

What i like to do and have had good luck doing it is shoot just behind the shoulder and a little high. From examining my dead coyotes I've found the 30 gr. gold just bores a 17 cal hole through the rib-cage and then destructs in the vitals with massive bleeding. sometimes i get a through and through but most times it just stays inside.
For frontal shots i aim for the base of the neck and found that the 30 gr. penatrates 12" or more... I shot one coyote last season just below the shoulder through the leg bone. After skinning I found that the bullet bored a 17 cal. hole through the leg bone and went into the chest cavity destroying everything inside..

From what Cal says about his 20x47 L it sounds like its performing the same as the 17 Pred.
with just a little more punch to it.. I'm glad its working out well for him and can't wait to bloody mine.. [Big Grin]

--------------------

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2010 10:19 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
LB,

At that campout, I shot the first cat with the 223 AI using a 60gr VMax, at close range. Fur was/is pretty nice, big ass bruised area on the inside. Surprised me, I was expecting lots of damage.

Second cat was shot with the 204 with a 35gr Berger. Tiny hole in, no exit. He was probably about 120 yards or so out.

Neither spun or ran. [Smile]

Had a lot of fun up there at the higher elevation. I've never hunted areas like that before. It is quite different from what I'm used to here in Missouri.

Too bad you missed out on that campout Andy.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 05:28 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, you will never get it, so theres no need in tryin to splain it to ya.

Dammit, DanS showed up. Guess I gotta quit pickin on him and his spray and pray style. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Andy

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 06:24 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
As I recall it was at the campout before last and it was Dannys (loco) cat that was a bit tore up .
Dans arrived on wed. afternoon and I peeled his first cat it had massive internal damage and no exit, Either Ta or one of the trappers maybe Don Rolla skinned his second I remember eatin the backstraps.
Thinkin about it when and where is the next one gonna be?

edited to add loco

[ May 13, 2010, 06:25 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 07:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
campout

Thinking that the only way to get Cal there, MAYBE is to hold it in Gillette?

OR. The only way to get Dave there, is to hold it in SLC!

MacNeal is pretty much hunted out by DanS and other drive bys.

Need to ponder that subject. LB

[ May 13, 2010, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 07:37 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe youre right Paul, it was Loco cat that was a little on the small side and had the guts hanging out..I skinned one out for Dan and it was in great shape with no hide damage..

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 07:42 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Loco skinned a gray fox that looked like it had been machinegunned. All nighter, too.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 07:44 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tim, you will never get it, so theres no need in tryin to splain it to ya.
Whats to get??? You respect the animal right up to when you kill it and thats as far as it goes..
I have enough respect for it that I go as far as takeing it home and peeling the hide and then stretch and dry it before its sold and if i would happen to make a bad hit on one I don't let some fucking dog chew on it for 15 minutes or more...

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 08:00 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, he's calling you out! What you gonna do 'bout it? Give him a timeout?
You're about this close to locking this one up, aren't you? Let's take it to the back room. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 09:50 AM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
I try to time the spin and go center mass when they are broadside. I figure if I have a spinner I already have a big hole in them anyways and I don't really feel like tracking them any further than I have to.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 10:08 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
I agree with Andy--I have too much respect for any critter to take a shot at 756 yards. Here in these parts, that's about 130 yards less than 1/2 mile.

Great for you if you can do it, I know I can't, but maybe Minnesota yards are 1/2 the length as Kansas yards? [Wink]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 12:22 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
All this fighting and bickering needs to stop !

I cant take it anymore ! I thought we were all supposed to be on the same side ? You guys should be directing your efforts towards the Anti's !

I sent Lonny a pm and requested that the mods just lock this one down !

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 12:38 PM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,
Sorry about that--maybe it is time that I do a post about what a good job the mods are doing, or say 'Why can't we just all get along', or post a pic of a little bunny? [Big Grin]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 12:42 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Im closer than this close to locking this down!!

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

See you in the back room Elbee we gotta do something about this. [Mad] [Mad]

Oh, Tim, Im quite sure some of your long range spinners have suffered much longer than a spinner Tagger gets his choppers into. Change that minutes to seconds. Its way faster than you can get another bullet in one. LMAO

--------------------
Andy

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 01:09 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
How quick did tagger kill that coyote you and Loco cripled a few years back at the camp-out??? You know the one down by the river. It took what 3 hits before you finally finished it off and this was at close range.. So much for respect for the coyote..LOL [Razz]

--------------------

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 01:48 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I shot the coyote in the chest, loco shot the coyote in the ribs, he tipped over. We had no dog, numb nuts. Then he drug himself up in the brush on the bank. Loco and Tyler waded the river and Tyler unloaded a 380 into him. I dont know how many shots connected and how many shots missed.

As for my shot, I center punched him with a 204, 32gr VMax (I since learned I dont like how they perform on coyotes.) Loco shot him through the ribs with a 243 and I think 100 gr bullet, complete passthru. Niether of us knew the other shot. We shot at exactly the same time. If it werent for Tyler between us, we would have been fighting over who shot that coyote.

Anyway, you picked a bad one for arguing about spinners. This coyote was not a spinner. He drug himself up a 6 inch bank, maybe 3 feet into the brush. He would have died in minutes, probably was dead cause Tyler was itchin to shoot something with that 380. Takin the lead he took in the places he took it, he should have been dead. And, there was no dog on the stand, or in the truck, I didnt bring one dipshit, so true to form, you picked a instance that has nothing to do with spinning coyotes or dogs to kill them.

But I did get to see a crazy Mexican and a crazy boy from Snotsdale wade a river while getting eat up by some black bugs that were hovering over the river, to retrive a coyote that we hauled back to camp to thow in a pile and let rot.

Seemed to make perfect sense to them. I got a good chuckle out of it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Andy

4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 02:45 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Snotsdale
Hehe. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 02:47 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
On my last post i was'nt talking about spinners but respect for the coyote that you seem to hold so highly.. From what I just read it seems you don't have any... [Confused]

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters