The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » where he stops, or as close as possible? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: where he stops, or as close as possible?
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2010 03:28 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
OK I just got out of the back room where Lonny was about to shut this thread down.

The ruling is, if you kill two or more on a stand and they didn’t show up together, it is a California Double, Triple and so on.

[ May 17, 2010, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Kelly Jackson ]

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2010 03:36 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
ROTFLMFAO

A California double, triple, ect....

Thats what we will call em from now on. If they got a white tip on their tail, you get a two pointer, so does it double the score so if you got a Cali Double, its a Cali Quad?

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2010 03:42 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we, the elitists that we are, should think big and consider these multiple Andy describes exponentially... 2 come in, 2 more come in, that would be a double squared (four). Then, next stand, two come in while a triple approaches from the other direction. You called five, but by our calculations, you got two to the third power, or actually,... eight! A Cali Octodog!!!

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
RagnCajn
ADDS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2010 03:57 PM      Profile for RagnCajn   Email RagnCajn         Edit/Delete Post 
220 swift with a 53 grain SMK
Posts: 362 | From: Shreveport LA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2010 03:59 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Its okay Cross J Im just gettin the rules straight in case we play marbles or sumthin at the next campout!
When the game starts will we hear someone shout out its okie rules. Or Cajun rules ect.
LOL

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2010 04:04 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
"Are you always letting him in too close and need to shoot at a moving animal, or do you know exactly what he will do and deal with it?"

Is there such a thing as "too close"? Yeah, I know a lot of you snipers like to not let them get within a half-mile before you snuff their lights out. Hell, the only time I've ever seen Quinton sweat was when coyotes got inside 80 yards or so. By then, his voice is two octaves higher and he's starting to panic like certain attack is eminent.

I like them in close, say 40-60 yards. Just the way I roll. Mostly just to immerse myself completely in the sense of self satisfaction that comes from being able to discern their pupils and hopefully get that "oh shit" look. Enhances the rush for me. I've even had about a half-dozen run over me or otherwise make physical contact when doing the fly by. Now that's a rush. LOL

One of the funnest things in all of coyote hunting is to be sitting next to someone new to the sport and have one coming in, head down, eyes boring right through you while you sit there telling the newb, "Sit tight. Not yet. Don't move, Ready,... Ready,... NOW!" when the coyote is about ten yards away. They shoot and crap their pants all at the same time. LOL

Seriously, I've hunted my areas for so long that the coyotes tend to use the same approach routes year after year after year, likely due to cow and deer trails, topography, fence lines and the like. Being able to call where they'll appear looks a lot more impressive than it really is since, when you've seen coyotes appear at the same break in the tree line where two trails intersect coming from the cover over the hill, like, 99% of the time, it's pretty easy to tell your newb "Keep you eyes right THERE." Can't do it every time, but do it often enough to impress the crap out of people that have never hunted with me before. Kevin and Matt have both just gotten into the habit of asking me where to look when we first sit down. They don't miss much.

I'm also blessed with an area to hunt where the coyotes tend to be predictably found in pockets of cover surrounded by open fields that no coyote would ever be in. Between calling them for the past 35 years and chasing them with greyhounds for most of eight years prior to that, sometimes overlapping the two, I've got a pretty good feel for where my coyotes lay and where it just ain't worth looking. In any event, I know where they're likely to be and try to set myself up with a cut, fold, ditch or drainage between me and there, within the kill zone, so that I can build an opportunity into the stand for me to raise my rifle when they go out of sight momentarily. I try to get the rifle up and the crosshairs on target ASAP so that the profile of the gun they see while approaching is along the axis of the gun, then let them come as close as they're willing to come. I've shot coyotes at 3 yards doing that. Point and kill. Back splash. I'm as impressed by how close a shot was as by how far, I guess.

Finally, the greatest mistake you can make is movement when you shouldn't be. I've always been amazed at how close I can get coyote to me by simply sitting still. This past Fall, I was sitting against a clump of grass about a foot shorter than me. My outline was obvious. The caller was about thrity yards in front of me in the open when a big coyote stepped out of the tall grass ten yards to my left. I was downwind of the caller and he seriously wanted to walk through where I was sitting. He stood there for about five seconds just looking at me before turning away from me and loping toward the caller. I had to wait for him to get out a bit so I could shoot him.

The same morning, I had one come in and I was laying alongside a row of roundbales on a mowed hay meadow, aka, NO cover. The coyote walked past me not fifteen feet away, ignoring me completely. Had I moved, both of them would have bolted. At the same time, when that close to a coyote, you do everything you can to NOT make eye contact. Once they lock onto your eyes, all hell breaks loose. I simply lifted the butt end of my rifle, looked down the side of the barrel and when she walked in line, shot her in the side. Didn't even need the scope. LOL

[ May 17, 2010, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2010 05:40 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
"Is there such a thing as 'too close'??"

Well................

When the shot cup ends up laying next to the coyote, it was 'close'.

When you get a pass thru with the shot cup, it was 'too close'.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2010 05:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it is more better to call these multiples an "Okie Double" or a "Missouri Triple", which, in theory, will never happen anyway?

I set up once in a semicircle of mesquite with a wide vista, only I couldn't actually see right directly in front of me because of the slope, but who cares about that, anything approaching from Mexico would be dead meat at 100, 200, or even 300 yards.

So, what happened is that a coyote came from the side, because he sure as hell didn't approach from the direction I expected! (so much for that theory) He came in from the side below me and I didn't see him at all until he hopped up on the same level, a distance of, five feet, give or take a few inches.

He stopped dead still and just stared at me. I didn't know what to do, so I mounted the rifle in extreme slow motion, and he never moved. I did look through the scope but couldn't see anything, which is what I decided meant that he was blocking my field of view and yanked the trigger. Bang/flop. Routine kill.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31467 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2010 05:53 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as day calling goes,I guess you could say I'm more like Q than you Lance,once they start getting to damn close I start to get a little to jumpy,and rush a shot.lol [Mad]

For me I think I feel more comfortable taking a 200 yard shot than I do a 30 yard shot,they're just to damn unpredictable inside 50 yards.lol [Roll Eyes]

I think if I had a choice it would be the 80-200 yards range for me.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1613 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JohnLK
Pro-Staff Great/Michigan Sector
Member # 1978

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2010 06:54 PM      Profile for JohnLK           Edit/Delete Post 
Mainly due to the way I setup and the terrain I hunt. When I see them I stop them and shoot. I don’t do a lot of calling on stand and by using the wind and terrain features I have a good chance of knowing where the coyote will show up. The only problem is that if I don’t stop the coyote right away it will hit my wind. I have tried to do things different but it just don’t work as good around here.I do have some open areas where I can see out 500yds and if they do come out that far away and my wind is not going to hit them I will let them come to about to 150yds or so.Iam using hand calls not a remote caller.

[ May 17, 2010, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: JohnLK ]

Posts: 54 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2010 07:13 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
"What's the worst thing a coyote hunter could do...?"

Be me. [Roll Eyes]

Krusty  -

Edit: I used to be able to post smilies, expertly... college is making me stupider.

[ May 17, 2010, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Inoculation
Knows what it's all about
Member # 2229

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2010 09:07 PM      Profile for Inoculation   Email Inoculation         Edit/Delete Post 
Well do I have to abide by the "California" rule? I agree with the Okies on this one, but my family goes way back in OK so I guess that makes sense LOL!

We called in 2 quintuples this last season and on both we only got 3 of them (each time)for 2 triples. On both groups the last 2 stayed way out near the 100yd mark, but the first 3 came all the way in to 15yds or less.

I also shot 3 coyotes and a bobcat on 1 stand, but it took almost 15 minutes. The first 2 where a double, then a single cat and a single coyote. It was definitely not a quad.

[ May 18, 2010, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: Inoculation ]

--------------------
Don't be ridiculous

Posts: 56 | From: CA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2010 09:29 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Abiding by Okies (they are cute when they are little) definition of quads and triples is too complicated without Randy, Ellen and Simon making the judgement. Way too nebulous. I can tell you that in some places, like where the sage or greasewood is too thick, you can't even be sure how many are lurking out there? I once set up in a mesquite wash that had coyotes behind every bush, killed three and missed four. What would an Okie call that? UNWORKABLE, that's what.

Good hunting. LB

I missed because my bullets were hitting twigs between me and the coyotes. I had to imagine the trajectory versus line of sight, and shoot for a body part where I had a clear view. Not easy to do.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2010 11:07 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
No shit Leonard.I've called in some of that thick sage brush too,and my gawd thats frustrating when the coyotes are running everywhere but all ya get is glimpses and flashes of fur as they run by,and ya don't know which one to shoot.lol Had one stand like that just this last fall.Five come flying in and got one. [Eek!] lol

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1613 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2010 12:36 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
So now we can have Okies getting California Doubles with Texas Heart Shots??? [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2010 04:58 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think it possible to consistently judge a coyote's age or sex on the fly. But maybe on occasion, it could be done & used to the hunter's advantage? With the wizards here, I figured I'd ask...

Maybe it's the larger size of the coyotes in my AO, but if a pair comes in, I can pretty much tell the male from the female. If terrain allows me a nice show of their approach, that is. A big male can easily have 10-15 lbs. of body weight on the female, so picking him out is kinda like picking out a gobbler from a couple of hens...
But usually here in NY, I see a coyote & shoot it ASAP and do so even if I see another coyote behind it. Reason is I just don't get enough opportunities to kill them here, so I'm usually shooting at the first chance I get. As was mentioned before, "a bird in hand"...

b.t.w...Kelly, you coulda told me I shot a "Cali-triple" with you that day [Wink] . The official Okie Ruling wouldn't have mattered one bit [Smile]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2010 05:45 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
"I can tell you that in some places, like where the sage or greasewood is too thick, you can't even be sure how many are lurking out there? I once set up in a mesquite wash that had coyotes behind every bush, killed three and missed four. What would an Okie call that? UNWORKABLE, that's what."

Na ElBee, we call it hunting in the cedars. Dang things are taking over here and that's where the machine gun comes in. [Wink]

We made a stand last Febuary after hearing a group howl, I set the caller between me and my cousin in a small branch (creek). The cedars were thick here but there was a small opening on each side of the branch, about a 50 yard area on both sides. I howled with my power howler and in a minute or two, I turned on secret sound. Four coyotes came in on my side, two in the lead that I let go to my cousin's side. The other two one held back in the cedars and the other one was creeping in. I shot him when the other two cleared, cuzz shot one of his and immediately the other two vanished.

How would ya'll have handled the situation?

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2010 07:05 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom - two out of four in tight cover sounds good to me. I tried the secret sound a few times last season and I think I only killed one pair using it.

Fred - I was not going to say anything to take away from your excitment. That was some good shootin on that stand.

Stay after them
Kelly

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2010 07:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
SECRET SOUND?

We have many ways to make you talk, and if that don't work, we can send Geordie over to knock the crap out of ya. He's big enough (with a mean temper) to scare JohnHenry. You don't want that!

Hey! Let's call two coyutes killed in Oklahoma, arm in arm, cheek to cheek like Peter Cottontail, hopping down the bunny trail......an "Okie Dokie" for short!

Good hunting. LB

edit: and by the way, Geordie thinks I'm the funniest guy on the Internet.

edit: two cuyotes with one bullet would be a "Super Okie Dokie"

[ May 18, 2010, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2010 08:28 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
An "okie dokie" I like it ElBee.

So how bout we call a single coyote shot twice a "cali tally"?

I thought everyone knew what the secret sound was. It's a long story but my cuzz told a friend of ours what it was and before long, it was the unoficial OPHA sound.

It's JS canine pups, please don't send Geordie after me, Lonny and Andy were tuff enough last time.

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2010 11:38 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
LB, Don't lets these damn okies change the rules. Remember, this is YOUR board. If my butt doesn't move from one spot and I shoot three coyotes then it is a triple. To hell with the okies and Vic !

And if you don't like it, read my Sig line! [Big Grin]

[ May 18, 2010, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: 3 Toes ]

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2010 11:40 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Okie Dokie! Now thats funny right there....

I don't care who you are.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2010 12:14 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There you go. Top that, ya bunch of wannabes.

How about a Okie Lady Dokie and a Okie Alpha Beta Dokie, etc. We would need a statistician to keep track of all the sub catagories!

I say again, Cal's def. is the simpliest and that's what it's gonna be! Screw this democracy shit.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2010 12:25 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
dam Cal, we about had him whipped down...
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2010 01:12 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Cal did it with a bow so he can call it what he wants but the rest of us mere mortals with rifles need em side by side to count.

I don't know though, Cal did it in texas and behind locked gates... does that count?

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters