The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » A Good Dog!! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A Good Dog!!
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2010 01:26 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty;
Yeah, that's some Gawd-awful looking country, but about the first time that you spot a tiny white speck on the horizon that slowly resolves it's self into a coyote loping in to the call while you're whispering to yourself, "C'mon, come to papa" it starts looking pretty good.

Now, about that Douglas Fir, Vine Maple, Blackberry, Fern, jungle-in-a-rainstorm, corner of Hell called the Pacific NorthWET............... [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7588 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2010 02:03 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Female up close and bust her first, the second one will still be waiting on her to tell her what to do cause it's subordinate.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2010 02:16 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, Coyotes bit up cow dog!! Sorry, I am far better at doing it than writing about it.

Niko you win, two males, far one younger than the close one.

Got them to sound off after I heard the story from the rancher on the road about 9 a.m. Never did hear the pups or the third coyote.That flower field is about 600-800acres she may have been movin them around in there with all the howlin. I located from the opposite side I was going in from to pull them over so they couldn't see me come in.

When you do get this much agression at the get go you just start looking for the 2nd coyote etc. You just consider, the agressive one, already dead, let it work the dog and bring in any other adults.

As soon as the second is in range you take it and then send the dog. Usually I leave whatever sound is tripping it's trigger playing while I shoot the far one, not always but when you have time to. The dog is trained to either go to the one just shot or get on the live ones at the sound of the gunshot. He's not a chewer or killer nor do I want him to be. I have a neighbor with a mini Chaweanie thing, I had my Cur dog in coyotes one day, all jacked up by the time we got home. Let him out of the back of the truck going to kennel him and that thing come runnin into my yard barkin and carrying on, I just started wonderin how much this was going to cost me! Luckily when the Cur got to her she rolled over on her belly and quit barkin etc. He just stood over her growlin. I've got dogs runnin loose all the time around my house. Drives mine nuts!

Easy to see why trained decoy dogs bring good money if you can find one.

Andy, that info was to be kept quiet!!! Start calling you "Loose Lips Lauglin" [Cool]

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2010 07:58 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
WOW!
Super photos & a very informative thread!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2010 08:19 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
"far one younger than the close one"

The far coyote just looks bigger. That's the part that was throwing me... thought they might even be litter mates.

I can certainly see where a good dog would be a must for that kind of work. Very cool to see!

Nikonut

IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2010 08:40 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Captain's Log....August 7, 2010

Randy Roede is The Man.

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2010 09:01 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
All this conversation is more germaine to that flat featureless grassland shown. In heavier cover, either of those animals can be out of sight before you know it. Common situation in AZ.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31489 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 14 posted August 08, 2010 08:32 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
I've hunted both Leonard...

You are very right about that! It's fun to watch them come in from a 1/2mile out, just like it's fun and fast when they suddenly are just, "THERE!".

I'd sure like to watch Randy work for real. Never hunted with a dog before, lots of excitement I'm sure.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2010 09:58 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, well. I hunted with my dog one time, only. She succeeded in chasing off three coyotes in a pack, all the while blocking any shot attempt by me. So, I left her in the cab on the very next stand and she thanked me by locking herself in and attempting to defeat every piece of rusty wire I worked through the edge of the door. I was so pissed off that she never made another stand, ever.

Thinking back, it was actually funny as hell, but she was a bit too aggressive for that type of work. A good dog however, a beautiful redbone, and I miss her. She had a couple operations, a broken femur and hip and couldn't swim. She drowned, at 16 she had cataracts and we couldn't keep her away from the pool. Unfortunate set of circumstances. She was pulled out four times, a good voice, but the fifth time, nobody was home.

Good hunting. LB

[ August 08, 2010, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2010 10:46 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
There is nothing quite like seeing a coyote raising hell and doing a challange howl 30-40 yards or less in front of you.
The only way I seen this happen is with a good dog.

Great post Randy.

Stay after them
Kelly

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 14 posted August 08, 2010 03:18 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing that about your dog Leonard.

They do become like family and so dear to one's heart... even when they screw up and really piss you off! Just like family!!!!

Randy, those pics could easily make a magazine article or DVD cover!

Nikonut

parvo
PAKMAN
Member # 3640

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2010 09:44 AM      Profile for parvo   Email parvo         Edit/Delete Post 
after lookin at those pics. i spent a few hours on you tube lookin at videos like that.. the first one the popped up was tony's (tebbe)dog "gunner"..he
called in three , shot one and the others bolted but gunner brought them back and he was able to kill all three ...it was really cool to see gunner work them like he did... there is no way in heck he coulda got all 3 without gunner !!!! im am really wanting to see this kinda action in person !! kj came up one evening and brought his dogs and we went but we didnt have any takers ...those are some awsome pics. !! you are much more of a "stud" than i am to beable to run that camera while all that was goin on !! very cool indeed.... thanks for sharing

--------------------

Posts: 2 | From: oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2010 10:15 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Runnie?
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 10 posted August 09, 2010 10:26 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Cheesburger!!!!

Kelly has some great dogs... course he's one hell of a hunter, too!

Sure would be cool to see Randy and Kelly, maybe RShaw and even Andy all come to the OKIE hunt! I'd love to see their dogs work and hear what they might have to say about calling!

Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2010 10:47 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
My dogs are not near what Randy and Cals are.
They work them for a livin, and I just work dogs cause I like to.

Catch you later
Kelly

parvo
PAKMAN
Member # 3640

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2010 04:45 PM      Profile for parvo   Email parvo         Edit/Delete Post 
TOM ----hello !!! im dried up it aint runnie anymore !!!lol

nikonut ! tom you should know by now its gotta be a double !!! lol

--------------------

Posts: 2 | From: oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2010 06:08 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Lord help us... [Big Grin]
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 6 posted August 09, 2010 08:17 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
...and just think about this,

Leonard said in another thread he was sitting at the computer in his blue plaid lounging PJ's!!!! What's the world coming to!!! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted August 09, 2010 08:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody needs to start counting Okies. What's the limit, anyway?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2010 09:33 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
15 like doves...lol

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters