The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » "Call shy" coyotes (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11 

Author Topic: "Call shy" coyotes
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2010 06:17 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As far as calling constantly to have an interested coyote is debatable. Coyotes respond to distressed sounds from animals all the time. Do you think an animal being munched on, is going to scream constantly, or is going to take a break to breathe when needed? Is it more likely to scream constantly or take breaks between being bitten? Just because a coyote comes in faster than another, does that mean it is more interested than another one that takes longer to get to you? I'm not sure how you measure interest in a coyote. A coyote responding faster than another one could be the result of coyote populations and not interest.
You missed the point.. If a caller is just calling to coyote pups or coyotes that may have never been called before. A couple toots on the hand call will get the job done most times.
The coyotes that have been around a season or two are going to be a little more cautious and may require more than a few blasts on the hand call to keep them interested..
When a coyote hears a rabbit scream it don't know why its screaming, it just knows its screaming.. Even though it has stopped screaming it may go check it out or it may not..

I "see" it happen every year. I call open country so I can see whats going on on most stands. As for waveing my caller I hold it out in front of me move it from left to right and then set it done faceing straight out. Most coyote will come straight in to the source of the sound.
About half the stuff said is just mith's and those that continue to believe it are the stupid ones..
I can see why some are still struggleing to call coyotes..LOL

I called a pasture today that got hit two days ago by some callers useing the famous F-P cs-24.
I put 3 coyotes in the back of the truck before I left for a different pasture...

quote:
I'm not sure how you measure interest in a coyote. A coyote responding faster than another one could be the result of coyote populations and not interest.
Its measured by watching the coyote, if the coyote stops comeing in and starts to mouse around or just leave, it lost interest... [Big Grin]

[ December 14, 2010, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5070 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
coyote down
Knows what it's all about
Member # 2887

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2010 07:00 PM      Profile for coyote down   Email coyote down         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't miss your point at all, but you are not going to get me to believe the only difference between calling young virgin coyotes and coyotes who have been around a while is either tooting a couple of times or calling constantly. Your just not right on this one. Just because you killed three coyotes in a pasture where somebody called 2 days ago doesn't mean crap, especially if you are trying to say they didn't kill coyotes because they use a fox pro and you don't. Did you ever stop and think those coyotes may not have been in that pasture or surrounding areas at the time the other guys were calling and therefore did not hear them calling. Hell the wind could have been blowing 30 mph the day they were there compared to when you were there. There could be way too many variables to the story for me to believe you killing those 3 coyotes confirms you are superior to the others that were there before you, and furthermore if you are believing that, you need to put some preperation h on your head to shrink it back to where it needs to be.
As far as a coyote that stops coming when called to does not necessarily mean he has lost interest. You could be in another coyotes territory and he had his ass kicked previously when entering the area you are calling from.
I wish you would let me in on what you consider to be myth's that certain stupid people continue to believe in and why they are struggling to kill coyotes.

Posts: 32 | From: colorado | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2010 07:42 PM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, could you please clear up some of the confusion by telling all us stupid people what a "Famous F-P cs-20 is?

Somebody been clanging on your bucket lately while it is mounted on your head?

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2010 08:36 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe it's the call that makes a coyote shy. That's a characteristic that happens before their eyes are open. The heirarcy and pecking order determines the demeanor of the coyote long before they are called.

I believe that coyotes that hang up aren't call shy or educated but merely a product up their childhood, having been dominated by their more aggresive peers thus carrying on that behavior into their adult life.

On Saturday two of us made 11 stands and called six and took five. Number six got a pass because I took one second too long to take the shot. Were they NOT call shy?

The very next day we made 11 stands and called up one. Were they call shy? Same general area. Same numbers of coyotes sounding off in early morning. Same coyote sign. Same calling routine that netted coyotes the day before. Same mixture of hand calls and electronics.

The ony difference in the 2 days was pressure.

On Saturday we saw nobody. On Sunday we crossed several trucks driving around that were deer hunting.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
George Ackley
Member # 898

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 12:01 AM      Profile for George Ackley   Email George Ackley         Edit/Delete Post 
I Didn't read the hole thread and most likely wont.

You say you don't believe it's the call that makes a coyote shy?
The heirarcy and pecking order determines the demeanor of the coyote long before they are called.
I believe that coyotes that hang up aren't call shy or educated but merely a product up their childhood, having been dominated by their more aggressive peers thus carrying on that behavior into their adult life

Jay I would have to start off by saying this isn't Predator masters your changing theory's on coyotes behavior
is questionable, so with that said I like to ask a couple questions.

Jay why is there aggressiveness with his peers?
Is it typically in place to start a pecking order to see who eats first wether it be moms milk or a regurgitated rabbit ?
If so what are your levels of shyness then?
Is the strongest pup the least shy? and the next one in line just a little more shy, all the way down to the shyest of them all the runt?
Or are they all just aggressive to just one pup and he grows up to be shy?
But that cant be rite, its a pecking order so they all must have some level of shyness then right?
will the shy kids have trouble once they move on? do your coyote family brake up and some become transients? or do just your aggressors do that?
So would your statement above be for all coyote in all coyote ranges across the country?
Mr. Nistetter at what age do you think the pecking order changes? Is a 7 month old shy coyote just as shy at 14 months?
How about coyote density per square mile, could that make him shy to the call ?
How about pray animals per square mile could full belly's make them shy to a call?
do shy coyotes only respond to pray sounds?
will they ever respond to sounds such as barks or howls with them being shy and all.

how many times will they run into your sreen door jay before they know its there [Razz]

But I would like to know were Mr.Nistetter is calling and if he can give a little more info on what he thinks the coyote density and pray animals is in his calling area.

[ December 14, 2010, 04:56 AM: Message edited by: George Ackley ]

Posts: 465 | From: PHILA . PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 04:32 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW;
For me, a 'Call Shy' coyote is an entire package, not just an animal that's heard #83 Buzzed Bunny once to often and won't fall for it again.

To build a call shy coyote, start with;

A coyote that hears a truck roll to a stop and then hears distress sounds.

A coyote that sees a hunter walking into stand and then hears distress sounds.

A coyote that is already downwind when the music starts or circles to the stinky side.

Any number of things that can (and do) go wrong on stand allowing one or more coyotes to escape while hearing distress sounds.

You don't have to combine many of these errors with the common denoninator being a distress call, whether hand or e-caller, and you have a problem coyote on your hands.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 04:49 AM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jay I would have to start off by saying this isn't Predator masters your changing theory's on coyotes behavior is questionable, so with that said I like to ask a couple questions.
George... What the hell crawled up your ass and died? NO... this isn't PM and I find it actually stupid for you to even make a reference like that. It appears to me you're out head hunting.
I've always liked your direct approach and not pulling punches. Maybe I'm reading you wrong in this case by firing back. If so, I apologize up front. If not, just suck it up grandma and understand that other ideas and opinions exist.

I don't study actual coyote litters. I don't feel I need to because I believe I need to look no further than that of domestic dog litters in order to get a general consensus of how coyotes will act and react.

It just dawned on me... Does this go way back to our disagreement on me believing that coyotes are not educated but merely a product of circumstances causing behavior modification?

quote:
Jay why is there aggressiveness with his peers?
I don't know George. You tell me.

quote:
Is it typically in place to start a pecking order to see who eats first wether it be moms milk or a regurgitated rabbit ?
Yes. Sounds reasonable.

quote:
If so what are you levels of shyness?
Oh... I dunno. One level I suppose. Not so much shy, but more on the lines of passive behavior resulting from being pushed aside and picked on in the early stages.

quote:
is the strongest pup the least shy? and the next one in line just a little more shy all the way down to the shyest of them all the runt?
Sounds reasonable to me.

quote:
Or are they all just aggressive to just one pup and he grows up to be shy?
But that cant be rite its a pecking order so they all must have some level of shyness then right?

Yeah... It's a pecking order.

quote:
will the shy kids have trouble once they move on? do your coyote family brake up and some become transients? or just the aggressors?
George, Goerge, George. Yes, some have trouble once they move on. Sounds reasonable. Yes, some become transient. Sounds reasonable.

It's not an either/or situation. Some are forced to be aggressive in order to survive. And still some become nothing more than crows eating dead shit on the roads.

Listen George, I'm just a weekend warrior that is pleased with the results of my efforts and am not really concerned with all the details concerning everything coyote. I don't go to great lengths to learn everything there is about them. Doesn't interest me. I'm happy with the level of effort I spend and the results I get. Period

quote:
So would your statement above be for all coyote in all coyote ranges across the country?
Pretty much.

quote:
Mr. Nistetter at what age do you think the pecking order changes? Is a 7 month old shy coyote just as shy at 14 months?
Patterns are set at the earliest age and continues on. I see it in domestic dogs continually. Why do you suppose breeders cull out certain characteristics in pups that they see early on? Breeders have learned what to look for that makes a good dog.

quote:
How about coyote density per square mile, could that make him shy to the call ?
If they are shy, they are shy. If they are passive, they are passive.

quote:
How about pray animals per square mile could full belly's make them shy to a call?
I don't think so.

quote:
do shy coyotes only respond to pray sounds?
will they ever respond to or barks or howls with them being shy and all.

No and Yes

quote:
how many times will they run into your sreen door jay before they know ts there
I loved that Labrador. LOL

quote:
But I would like to know were Mr.Nistetter is calling and if he can give a little more info on what he thinks the coyote density and pray animals is in his calling area.
Once in awhile I get out of Arizona, but for the most part, I tend to stay within driving distances from Phoenix.

Like I said Goerge, I get to go calling ocassionally. I'm no expert on coyotes, nor do I wish to be. If you don't prescribe to my methods, no problem. You can taylor your coyote hunting methods to suit your own needs. My methods may cause me to strike out in other parts of the country. I do know I approach coyotes a little different in western Kansas and East Texas than I do here in southern Arizona.

Hell, I can be unsuccessful anywhere but that's not the important thing for me. The important thing is to get out and have fun. If I worried and fretted over every unsuccessful stand I make, the I shouldn't be out calling coyotes.

--------------------

6mm284
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 05:59 AM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
I think all callers no matter how good they are or think they are help to create call conditioned coyotes. There are always coyotes who detect the caller due to no particluar fault of the caller and make those natural associations with the danger through that experience . The more times calling scenarios are presented the more education goes on.I often say it is just as important to sneek out of an unproductive stand as it is to sneak in .I have no doubt many times coyotes are observing callers leaving what was an unproductive stand.After a time or two of this experience ,it gets a lot more diffucult. Maybe
Posts: 198 | From: N46 06 E91 11 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 07:49 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Just have to throw my 2 cents, and that's all it's worth too, in on the subject. I think, I know, I know, that it is a lot to do with the set up to begin with and how careful you were to get to your chosen honey hole. I have also found that the retreat from said setup is important also. As you sometimes don't see ol Cannis latrans sitting there watching the spot all that racket came from.
From calling in areas where e-callers are used by absolutely everyone it seems, I have been able to do better with my ol hand calls. My old calling buddy and I did a few months of calling up in the BlackRock area of Nevada which is called on a daily basis with both a FoxPro and with our handcalls and we honestly had much better luck with our handcalls, all things being equal. I don't know if the coyotes have heard the e-caller way to much or that all the e-caller coyote ambushers were just not real good at hunting coyotes and that could make them coyotes a bit leary associating the sound with people. I have also watched coyotes comming in and check up at a point and start looking around and then start a cautious aproach to the call. I took that to be a coyote that knew he was tresspassing on the other gangs turf.Maybe, maybe not. I have watched them coyotes do some interesting things at times over the years of calling I have done. The most interesting was up int the Smoke Creek area of Nevada when Ron and I were calling and they were also aerial gunning the valley. We actually watched a coyote head under the cover of some heavy sage when he heard the airplane engine.That was an eye opener for both of us.He had to have figured that out sometime in his past. This is an interesting post but if we actually knew what was, then maybe calling just wouldn't be as much fun as it is. Just my 2 cents is all. Good calling,,,,Walt

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 637 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
J_hun
Member # 872

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 02:27 PM      Profile for J_hun   Author's Homepage   Email J_hun         Edit/Delete Post 
SH, you better chime in on this discussion. I'm sure you are getting a few chuckles.
Posts: 141 | From: Pierre,S.D. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
George Ackley
Member # 898

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 03:44 PM      Profile for George Ackley   Email George Ackley         Edit/Delete Post 
jay lets get something strait I am a ass just like most just bigger ,
and I will own that.
I posted at 3 am as I was headed out the door again to put 4 or 5 stands in. it again is below zero and 3 or 4 nights of this and I become a bigger ass just colder. so sorry for my online assholeisom.

Your reasoning behind your shy coyote theory was to much for me
peer aggression happens to all coyotes whether is a larger sibling showing aggression to the runt or a large males aggression to a subordinate male attempt to test the boundary's of his home range or his lady friends sent. aggression between coyotes is just part of there life. and I feel is way down on the list of what makes
coyotes call shy.

my answer to what makes them call shy isn't all that in depth ,, it would be that they are smart!
Never underestimate what they will or wont do. think any harder then that and you just be fooling yourself

[Wink]

[ December 14, 2010, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: George Ackley ]

Posts: 465 | From: PHILA . PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 04:58 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I slip out into 6mm284's area now and then. Right after a fresh snow is best. I walk backwards the last 100 yards before I get to my honey hole, because the coyotes see my tracks and think that I just left. Gives em a false sense of security ya see. [Wink]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 05:20 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
damn....I wish it would snow here.

Heck I am going to say, not getting them killed when they come in.

Stay after them
Kelly

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 07:21 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok..............Ecallers create more call shy animals for two reasons.
(1) Callers using excessive volume, causing coyotes to hang up at a couple of hundred yards.

and

(2) Tim uses an Ecaller so it MUST be wrong. [Wink]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 08:09 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Kelly, I understand letting coyotes get away, when they come in multiples, but Amigo; you have that machinegun for just those situations!

I'm still clinging to my oft stated bitch, (I mean, observation). Foxpro has made my coyote hunting a bit more difficult.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31467 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 08:16 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
KJ "damn....I wish it would snow here."

I hear that!

-

Educated... that's a widely varied thing.

The other day I was hunting the cornfield in the above photo (yeah there's a field under there), and shot a duck that drifted a long ways before hitting the ground.
I jumped out of the blind and lit out after it.
I didn't make it very many steps when I spotted a coyote running full speed out of the woods at the back edge of the field... he grabbed my duck, and trotted off with it. [Eek!]

And, whenever we get to discusiing education and coyotes I'm always taken back to Joshua Tree, to the Turtle Rock picnic area, where not just one, but an entire group of coyotes used a fake limp, in effort to (and successfully so) get handouts.

The term "call shy" as it applies to "education" is a tough sell, on me. I mean unless a coyote jumps up, in plain sight, and runs from a call, how do we know why he didn't come to the call.

"Only the yippers know, and they ain't saying."

"Did we just experience the rule, or the exception to the rule? We may never know."

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 08:34 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't believe it's the call that makes a coyote shy. That's a characteristic that happens before their eyes are open. The heirarcy and pecking order determines the demeanor of the coyote long before they are called.

I believe that coyotes that hang up aren't call shy or educated but merely a product up their childhood, having been dominated by their more aggresive peers thus carrying on that behavior into their adult life.

Jay I agree with that statement.

quote:
Ok..............Ecallers create more call shy animals for two reasons.
(1) Callers using excessive volume, causing coyotes to hang up at a couple of hundred yards.

and

(2) Tim uses an Ecaller so it MUST be wrong.

Koko: I also use hand calls when calling to the cream of the crop.
I've never run into a problem with the caller being too loud. They still kept comeing right up to when the bullet hit them.
I may use softer sounds like vole mouse at the beginning of a stand but its still on full volume..

On the way home tonight I had a chance to reflect on this weeks hunt and also the hunts from last year and so on.
I don't believe there is such a thing as call shy coyotes, just more difficult coyotes..
On most of my stands this last trip I started with some rabbit or some other prey distress and if nothing showed I gave them something else to get them interested and then back to rabbit and they where more than happy to come in..
The numbers are down this year, only got two pups on this trip with the rest being adults. Some came easey and some where difficult but still got them in, I had one coyote that took a little over a hour to bring in.

Calling is one big puzzle the more you learn from called coyotes the more pieces are added to the puzzle.
Road shy coyotes: not all coyotes are road shy. I call to them to find out if they are or are not. If they are then all you have to do is change location and time, it canbe later in the same day or the next day..
I think most callers stay on stand for 15 minutes, I stay for as long as it takes to get them in..
For those of you that are still struggleing maybe you should check out WT's DVD.
After hearing about it a month ago I decided to get one.. Lots of good info that upped my game another notch...

Scott: Thanks for the tip about calling on windy days.

Randy Roede: Thanks for the pointers you gave me a few years back. Due to my hearing loss I missed some of it but Bill filled me in on what I missed.. Awhoooooooo.. [Wink]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5070 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 09:12 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I posted at 3 am as I was headed out the door again to put 4 or 5 stands in. it again is below zero and 3 or 4 nights of this
George, I must say you're nuts for hunting in below zero weather. I'm such a light weight about cold temps. I do remember growing up in Oklahoma hunting in the cold weather and it was just how it was. After moving to AZ in the 70's, I thought why would anyone NOT want to live here out of that cold.

To me, 'adapting' is often times confused as being 'educated'. I agree there is a fine line between the two, but we will never really know.

Lions, tigers and bears are 'trained' as we see in circus shows. If they were truly 'educated' a simple little thing like a leather whip and stool would never stop them.

Different whistles tell a retreiver to swim left or right. Are they educated or are they conditioned to make a correct response for some positive reinforcement?

Regardless, we all know what we are talking about when the word 'educated' is used. Some of us are just more anal about different words.

Being shy or apprehensive is the same thing EXCEPT, when we know there is a coyote out ther refusing to commit or start circling downwind way way out, I feel we tend to excuse our failures of calling them on in by labelling them 'educated' or 'call shy'. Let's face it, some coyotes are more cautious than others.

edit to correct spelling and add 2 wurds.

[ December 14, 2010, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Jay Nistetter ]

--------------------

R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 09:51 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess my definition of call shy differs.

When a coyote hears the call, he has 3 options.

1. Come-in
2. Do nothing
3. Go the other direction

Call shy to me are the ones who go the other direction while giving you a couple of look-backs. Saw it lots of times. And it is for that reason that sometimes when I enter an area I get the feeling I am pushing the coyotes with my calls

quote:
I don't believe there is such a thing as call shy coyotes, just more difficult coyotes..

Tim...I say bring it.

George Ackley...did Rich Higgens script your last post? Just asking.

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 09:55 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, right, Jay! So far as I know it was in the low 20's in northern AZ the past few days. Quite a bit colder than what I was expecting.

Good hunting. LB

edit: I think AR has a point. I have seen Kansas coyotes literally run the other way because they heard distress sounds coming from an ecaller.

This is due to people queering coyotes that have no business using one of these sophisticated machines. Maybe they need to be regulated and licensed? First things first: prosecute the assholes!

[ December 14, 2010, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Jay Nistetter
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 11:00 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've had them run the other way on the first note of a call. Not sure if I just startled them or they're scared of Warerabbits. Sometimes I think on it but never dwell on it. Guess you could say I have an "Oh well" attitude. They're just dogs. Even the best trained obedient dog will brain fart itself from time to time leaving you wondering why they just did what they did.

In SW Kansas, the sight of a truck sends them running. Guess they're either truck shy or damn smart. Same with scent.

I've had them ignore my calling many times. Just like I wasn't even there. After switching sounds 4 or 5 times, something finally clicked and got their attention. Never once have I ever thought a coyote that's had a bad-sound-day swore off rabbits to become a Vegan.

The thing that will screw up calling the most is movement and bad stand selection.

As far as hand calls vs electronics, I believe that some days electronics just don't work when hand calls will and vice-a-versa (sp). Some days nothing works but how could that be considered call shy or educated. Are they call shy or educated only 3 days out of a week?

--------------------

Jay Nistetter
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 11:07 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Additionally, we've all asked ourselves why would coyotes come running in today but not yesterday. Why one sound works one day but not the next. We even speculated how rich we would be if we could just ever figure out those mysteries.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 11:46 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have mentioned this before, but it is so outragous and on point that I will do it again.

I was talking to this rancher that claimed his ranch had not been called in seven years.

Maybe not, but every time he fed his cows, he set his Foxpro on the hood and if he looked up and had a coyote watching him, he unlimbered one of his machineguns and chased that coyote into warp 4. A while later, he mentioned that he allowed a friend to spotlight his spread just the night before.....but, at least the place hadn't been "called" in seven years.

Now, if that dumb shit wasn't criminally educating coyotes with his Foxpro, I don't know what it was?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

6mm284
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 04:07 AM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, I usually just wear my shoes and hat backward when I go .
Posts: 198 | From: N46 06 E91 11 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 04:23 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, it's not just e-calls. I've seen coyotes run the other way from Critr-calls and Circe's too. In Utah. I don't think they are as screwy as it sounds like Kansas coyotes are, but some of the coyotes around here definitely have some call averse days. And from what I've seen of it, I don't think it matters what you use to make the wabbit distress, those particular coyotes just ain't having it on those particular days. I do think it's conditioned response, from having been called to multiple times already, perhaps once a week or more for the last month or two, with rabbit distress. Coyotes are pretty adaptable, if nothing else. I don't think it takes some of them too many times playing the game to start associating that sound, coming from a particular place or direction, with danger.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters