The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Coyote Attributes (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Coyote Attributes
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2003 03:50 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
No argument there Cal.

I was thinking and sometimes it really hurts but....

Back in the late 70's and early 80's it was considered a bad day if two of us out calling didn't call in at least 10 or 11 shootable coyotes on an average. Some days more, some less. That includes the ones that would have counted as "shootable" had we been alert and ready 100% of the time instead of our usual fiddle-farting around. (Just seeing a coyote trotting across a field while driving along doesn't count unless we stop and actually call the thing back in.)

Nowadays it seems as though a good day of calling (sun up to sundown) only nets in 4 to 6 shootable dogs on an average. Again, sometimes more and sometimes less.

Clarification: Sometimes doubles and triples come in and there is no chance at bagging all of them, BUT they were all readily at some point in time "shootable". Just because we chose different dogs to shoot at doesn't mean the others weren't shootable.

So... having said all that...

Does anybody else feel that way?

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2003 06:31 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, I guess you are right, at least in those readily accessable areas.

I think the key is to channel your efforts into the most active times and pay attention to the moon phases. Now is the time to develop those honey holes, like the one's you thought would be there forever.

Personally, I have been guilty of driving bad "roads" for four hours, just to reach prime areas. The difference in results is staggering.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31466 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2005 11:54 AM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
I had forgotten about this discussion and still find it interesting.

Wondering if anyone has had a change of heart or comments from some new experts.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
lupus caninus
Knows what it's all about
Member # 484

Icon 10 posted January 12, 2005 05:19 PM      Profile for lupus caninus   Email lupus caninus         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay,
I'm no expert but I think the best thing going for them is they don't taste good. [Big Grin]

Posts: 16 | From: East TX | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yellerdog
Knows what it's all about
Member # 356

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2005 07:45 PM      Profile for Yellerdog   Email Yellerdog         Edit/Delete Post 
Fascinating discussion! I'm glad you brought this one back up Jay, I had never read this thread before.
After two and half pages of discussion I think lupus caninus may have nailed it. Although I'll have to take his word on how they taste! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Lee Smith

Remember, we meet at dawn.

Posts: 59 | From: Southeastern Michigan | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters