The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » I got a digital camera, check this out! (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: I got a digital camera, check this out!
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2010 02:26 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I dont have near the experience that some of the others have. But by far, males seem to be more agressive. I like hunting females much better on coyotes.

Tagger would rather just cut me out of the equasion sometimes. He gets so fired up on a coyote that he would just as soon kill it himself and ends up runnin them off.

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2010 03:31 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, put me in there with Randy for wanting to help you out. Dispersal in coon-dom is nigh and there will be a LOT of those little bastards homeless and looking in the next few weeks. I could stick one in a priority flat rate box and have it to you inside 3 days. I guarentee you that the little bugger will be glad to see you when you flip those flaps open. Probably give ya a big hug around your head. [Wink]

Putting a good dog down is a damned hard thing to do. I hunted my English male from 5 weeks to almost 14 years old in some way or another. He was my kid before I had a wife or kids. He was a one-handler dog that placed little trust in anyone but me, and had a trust in me that I don't offer but very few people in my life. One night, he fell through the ice on a river and I stripped down to my skivvies to go haul him back to shore. He damned near died that night, but an hour later, was back to work. When he screwed up, he knew it and came to me for his ass chewing. Once I gave him the red ass, he went back to work and ran clean all night long. Likewise, when he did well, he came to my side expecting nothing more than a pat on the head and a compliment or two. That's all it took and he was, again, back to work. That dog gave his guts for me and I creid like a baby the day I put him down.

You just gotta love a good dog. I pity the man who doesn't know what that means.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2010 04:05 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
KOKO,

IMO, had a female decoy dog in the late 90's and it took a little longer for her to get to a point that the males tend get to a little quicker.

Males seem to have other things that distract them and can become more independant minded.

Ran coondogs in the 80's and males would tend to hunt earlier as a rule but once a female got it she would hunt harder. It seemed the females as a rule would follow rather than lead but would hunt harder to figure stuff out better than the males at times.

Good bloodlines made a huge difference in the quality of the dogs no matter what the sex and seemed to virtually elliminate the difference in dog behavior from pup to pup. If you got the right lines going the pups tend to not vary a great deal.

Decoy dogs being trained by old dogs on the job are a huge advantage unless you have some behavior in an old dog you don't wish in the younger one.

Personal preference in a dog is different to each owner. We all have different wants and needs.

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2010 05:21 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx for the replys. I can see where a male dog would do the "I be male......I be macho" routine. Much like people. I can also see a female dog getting the maternal instincts up and handing someone or something it's guts. Again, much like people.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one to do poorly when it came time to put a dog down. Muttly was a damn good family dog. This is the longest that I've ever been without a dog. I guess that when the time is right, one will find me. For some reason that I fail to comprehend, I seem to be a freaking cat magnet lately.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2010 04:22 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
RR, I do see Merv around occasionally. I don't know him real well, but we visit quite a bit when I run into him. Nice guy.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2010 08:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, WHERE do you see him, "around"? At Walmart, or out in the boonies? lol

I've only owned two dogs and got emotional when with both. Dang, me, my son and my grandson buried Red way out of town, asleep in her bed, heck of a nice spot, surrounded by trees and the dirt was high because of the bed and she wasn't a small thing. It's houses now, I couldn't find it if I wanted.

Vic lost Bootsie in a particularly foul manor that still pisses me off. She looked and acted a lot like Red, I wanted to take her home with me.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31468 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2010 10:19 AM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell him Hi from me when you see him Cal.

He was nice enough to GIVE me two Curs when I started this job. I had lost mine right before I got this job and was without. I called him to see if he had any, he happened to be coming my way to a funeral and brought them along. I will always owe him. Like you said really nice guy.

How come it's always good dogs that die quicker than they should or from something strange. Worthless ones live no matter what??

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2010 12:44 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Generally here the no good ones die of a traumatic gun shot wound.

Actually LB, I have run into Merv at Wal-Mart before! And at the occasional gunshow and at the big new years bash. ETC. ETC.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2010 11:11 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Those are some of the coolest photos I've seen in a while!
Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters