The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Eastern coyotes are a piece of cake (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Eastern coyotes are a piece of cake
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 10:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, I certainly didn't mean to imply that you were not being truthful. Maybe my words were more in the vein of absolutes; for every rule, there is an exception. The more I'm around this Internet stuff, the more I realize that certain words are going to be challenged, and I didn't mean by myself, especially. But, there is always somebody out there, that has seen something that you just said never happens; that kind of deal.

I can always think of a situation, (a personal situation) where a rule, relating to animal behavior, or setting up a stand was broken, but that does not mean that the rule is/was invalid. It is human nature to speak in generalities.

Especially here in western conditions. We often cold call a stand, and don't have the time to hike to one side or another, to take advantage of some feature. What I try to do is be aware of all the negatives, and deal with them, imperfectly, but as best I can.

I think it is a mistake to try to set up a stand like a director on a movie set: lights, camera, action! Whatever position I find myself in, I try to use it with minimal invasiveness. I would not (normally) track my scent across a meadow to take advantage of natural funnel type features. As in golf, I need to play it as it lays; make the best of it.

Of course, I have unlimited land available. In most cases, I never call the same place twice; ever. If I had a specific set up that I called on a regular basis, I would (of course) learn the best way to handle it. Practice does tend to make perfect.

Are we on the same page?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31471 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2005 05:30 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Absolultely. I was more jackin with ya anyway on the untruthful thing. [Smile]

From what I have seen in the west, it is very different. The terrain can make a difference, but just finding a clearing large enough to see a bit through the mesquite can be good enough. Washes and draws seem to work pretty well, but not an absolute by any means. About the time I got to thinking that, Norm would take off across a pancake flat and find a clearing and call a pair. Go figger. As for cold calling, I think thats all we did. Unless Norm was seeing stuff he was holding back on. [Wink] Heck, we got excited if we saw some tracks, especially cat, on the way to the stand.

Yeah, we are on the same page. I think I saw where someone was talking about calling coyotes across open fields, maybe in Iowa? Im sure he does have success at that. I havent. Actually it sounded very interesting. I really havent tried it too much. I have always tried to give them a travel corridor of cover. I have called coyotes out of cover, maybe 40 yards or so into the open, once they get to the sound, but only a couple of times that I can remember calling one across any distance of open terrain. Maybe something I outta try? I like to have that cover for them to travel, and like I said before, sure makes it easier for me to put em where I want em for the shot. Im sure someone else may see the same country Im in and see a different way to hunt it.

I do think you have to set the stage a little more around here than out west. Mainly because of roads and houses. You cant just make a stand, drive a mile and make another. Private property, no tresspassing, roads at least every mile, houses, barns, ect.... make that impossible. You gotta get to know LOTS of farmers to gain access. Then work with what you got to find possible stand locations and then, the wind will dictate alot of times it seems, which ones you go to on a given day.

Thats just my experience.

Andy

[ April 28, 2005, 05:35 AM: Message edited by: Andy L ]

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters