The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Anyone using sirens? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Anyone using sirens?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 08:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Higgins, you going to let Cal off, just like that? What about the mean stuff he wrote to Barndog? I bet that man has his feelings hurt and is not coming back?

Another thing. Cal, did you notice how "cross" Higgins sounded in his previous comment? He unloaded on his friends, with a very rude attitude. Can't just let that pass.

Shameful disrespect, I don't know who's to blame?

Good hunting. LB

Higgins sounds so looney I think(?) he wants to wear a dress! Some kind of latent desire for fat black womun.

edit: Not that there is anything wrong with that. I have been told it's the best ride you will ever....never mind!

[ August 29, 2005, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31478 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Knows what it's all about
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 08:55 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard several Boddiker stories over the years, some good and some not so good, but my favorite, and a true sign of genius that I don't possess, was a story O'Gorman told me about the Major trapping problem beaver in a ritzy community in Colorado. He explained to the people of the communtity (mostly tree hugger types) that for a certain nominal amount (I don't have the exact figures) but say $50 per beaver that he would eliminate (exterminate) the problem beaver...

But for an exorbinate figure, say several hundred dollars per beaver, he would relocate them to a pristine wilderness area, and to top it all off, they could go along, take their whole family, make a picnic out of it, and release the beavers back into the wild. Of course, the vast majority chose to spare the beavers lives and "transplant" them to another area. That was genius.

On the other hand, there are still sheep men in Natrona county in Wyoming, that would possibly bend the good Majors nose if they got a chance, but that is another story...

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 09:00 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
On another note.....

Any man that wishes to be a fat black woman makes me nervous. That is Silence of the Lambs type crazy. Yesterday, I was checking on plane tickets to Tucson, today, I am thinking about alarm systems for my house, and guard dogs.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 09:07 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have also heard tell of some outrageous statements made by.... the same person. Some completely forgettable.

Good hunting. LB

quote:
exorbinate figure
you into fat chicks too?

[ August 29, 2005, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

nd coyote killer
HUNTMASTER PRO STAFF
Member # 40

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 09:19 AM      Profile for nd coyote killer           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it is in the instruction book for the songdog and i believe that it is 20 minutes. Great post guys! I've seen Cals set up it's nice but i have to agree that nothing is the silver bullet that gets them to howl everytime!

--------------------
"Sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim" - Bear Claw

Posts: 385 | From: On a hill | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 09:23 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
From Talking to Coyotes with the Songdog

#1 LONE HOWL OR TERRITORIAL CALL

"When coyotes hear this call and decide to respond,roughly 50% will howl back. Research has also determined that if a coyote has howled within 20 minutes of your howl, it cannot respond because of brain chemistry. Coyotes have a brain trigger in howling. After it has howled, it cannot do it again for 20-30 minutes. It is interesting to watch them try."

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 11:59 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
My goodness, Leonard. You cautioned Cal to be polite and behave himself on page 2 and then you throw gasoline on the fire on page 3.
That little angel on one shoulder and little devil on the other must be doing a UFC in the depths of your subconcious.
(polite way of saying you went bonkers)

IP: Logged
Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 12:30 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
In defense of Boddicker, in my recreational howling days, I never found it real easy to get that second group howl or group yip howl to occur. I'd try to wait them out and then after a few minutes(5-10) when they were done howling, I'd hit them again with howls. It was not real common for them to group howl a second time.

Some of the times it did happen would have been in the late summer, early fall time frame. Not real sure if it was just a re-group of some of the litter that hadn't howled the first time?

Dennis

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 01:53 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
(polite way of saying you went bonkers)
Thank you, *** is teaching me the finer points.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Todd Woodall
Member # 439

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 03:07 PM      Profile for Todd Woodall   Author's Homepage   Email Todd Woodall         Edit/Delete Post 
Used one about 2 hours ago. Of course we were on a fire call so I didnt hear any responses.

Todd

--------------------
Texas Predator Pursuit videos
110 hunts on 2 DVD's
www.texaspredatorpursuit.com

Posts: 181 | From: Weatherford Texas | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 03:25 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Greenside,
I have had the same experience a few times also. I think the group just plain didn't feel like howling the second time, which is a bunch different than saying that the group COULDN'T howl because of some brain chemistry thing.

I have also found that when a coyote or coyotes stop howling, they are sometimes now approaching your location to kick your arse. [Smile]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 03:23 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
I vote Bud. "Neighbor of the year" [Cool] . Got a good laugh out of his post.

Interesting read, so far guys.

Leonard,
We use to have an old [Peter Pirsch] 35' Aerial Truck. With an old "Roller-Siren" mounted on the Officer's side fender cowl. It had been refurbed & chromed. Also converted from "Hand-cranked" to electronic...VERY COOL! siren. "Roller Sirens" have the best sound, IMB.

"Old" [Civil Defense Sirens] sound very similar.

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 07:12 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich

quote:
I have also found that when a coyote or coyotes stop howling, they are sometimes now approaching your location to kick your arse
For me that's one thing that I alway try to keep in mind when I'm locating. The first two coyote that I ever shot while calling were the result of my calling mentor's howling(1990). 2 stands and he let's me shoot 2 coyote.

As a result of that I have always been real careful about hanging around
after I get a vocal response and very seldom will I try to get them to howl twice. Usually wait till the howling is done and maybe listen to see if others will answer back, but if the howls are real close, I might even get back into the truck and guitely drive away before the howling is even done.

Hopefully, this won't be called BS, but I think it would be real tough to get a pair or group of coyote to come back with a group howl, group yip howl, joy of life howl in a short time frame after doing it prior. 15-20 minutes might not be too far off, but I really don't know.

Dennis

Baldknobber
Member # 514

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 03:08 PM      Profile for Baldknobber   Email Baldknobber         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, this thread has gone wild!! I haven't checked it in a few days, and it's gone crazy.

Cal, I appreciate your input about your use of the siren in the summer, as I am still after the coyotes that I talked to you about last spring.

Rich Higgins; If you turn into Oprah I will buy a ticket to the show, just dont expect me to watch the ugly transformation process...lol.

Bud/OR...I have done crazy stuff like that, but never in town. That might start a war here in the Ozarks, but I like your style.

If anyone knows the specific type of siren that winds up at JC Whitney let me know. They have 3 or 4.

--------------------
JTBMO

Posts: 202 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 05:43 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Greenside,
I certainly don't think that your theory regarding the second group howl is B.S. I have no real strong theory regarding that little mystery.

If you are howling from dark to midnite or so for the purpose of locating and you are not rigged for night hunting, then I do have a theory. In spring and early summer when locating den area's, howling during that time period can be a big help. Howling during that time period in winter for purpose of locating is waste of time in my opinion. Why? Because coyotes are on the move at that time, and you are locating where they are at that time. They will likely be somewhere else in the morning. Now howling just before daybreak is another story all together.

--------------------

keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 09:42 PM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
I do most of my locating in the spring and summer. Then I go out and do my scouting or get access to land if needed. I dont do much locating in the fall, I try to get all my scouting and locating done in the summer and spring and spend my time in the fall making stands.

But from time to time I will have a group that is hard to keep track of. Then I may go out in that area and see if I can find were they are in order to change my location of my stands. If I can find them at night then I got a good idea of were they are feeding and what area's they may be holding up in for the day. Just depends on the area.

I have had alot of coyotes that have resonded more than once in a 15-20 min time line. I shot almost 2hrs of video last winter of me and a coyote howling back and forth, and threat barking at each other. And could of got more if the battery had not went dead. And have also had groups that would yep howl twice in less than that time frame. Sometime all I haft to do is change locations on them. After they light up the first time I may move around to the other side of were they are on the closest road and fire them up again. Or simply hang out the truck window as I drive threw the area and yep howl. Works better with two guys howling.

Brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls
http://www.keescalls.com

Posts: 295 | From: Southern Ohio | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2005 11:51 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
When dealing with pre-suffle groups(summer or late summer family) and multiple howls would one have to assume that they all did the group yip at the same time?

What if some members were several hundred yards from the first yip howl and when regrouping and after the licking and the smelling was over, would they initiate their own group howl?

If you viewed the second group howl through binos would you be able to tell if they were all howling
or that some appeared to be howling and in reality couldn't due to brain chemistry?

Dennis

[ August 31, 2005, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Greenside ]

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2005 01:16 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife yips and howls at me quite often. It ain't a brain chemistry thing either, it is because she wants to. Sometimes I want to yip back at her, but an old scar on my head reminds me that it wouldn't be a wise thing to do. I guess in my case, it would be a brain chemistry thing. I go shut mouthed because I don't want to be wounded again.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters