The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Is anybody actually killing coyotes? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Is anybody actually killing coyotes?
MULE
Knows what it's all about
Member # 63

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 11:32 AM      Profile for MULE           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn fine looking coyotes guys!

DAA..is that a snipe pod in your last photo or stix?

--------------------
Kickin' it on the Steppes. Livin' in my Yurt

My Hockey Mom can beat up your Community Organizer

Posts: 334 | From: Ulan Bator | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 11:42 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Scruffy, we have had issues with starving artists lurkers... nothing against the common man, I just get tired of seeing our original material and photos stolen and placed on other sites in a different context for their benefit.
And requiring a login has stopped the steeling of photos?

I would have thought the "starving artists" would just get a login and continue with the steeling.

I doubt I'll ever be a "groupee", but we'll see. I lurked on your sight just to see how you mid-easterns are doing, look at the pics, etc. I never really had anything to ask or to add.

Edit: forgot to answer the original question: things were rolling good for me towards the end of november. Since then I can count the number of stands in December on one hand the number of stands in January on the other, with a finger or two cut off. I've done 4 day time stands so far this month, 2 of them the wind switched to the worst possibly direction, 1 stand was perfect, but no takers, and one stand last friday while it was snowing, no takers. And I did one full moon night stand. For the month I've called 2 hawks and 2 owls and a handfull or so of crows (haven't been keeping count of the crows).

This saturday I hope to go out for a couple stands and then once February hits hopefully my time will open up a bit and I can get one or two stands in every week.

later,
scruffy

[ January 24, 2006, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 11:51 AM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Scruffy, you are a "Groupee" member right now. Leonards site, Predator Masters and most other large forums are run by Groupee Software. The next time these guys upgrade their "UBB" software they will become "Groupee" as well... it's a new name to an old company. We're just the new kid on the block and got stuck with the unique name first.

And on the lurkers, I know who to watch for... they won't be getting accounts. Anyways, you're welcome to visit anytime;

Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 12:06 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,
We used a WT.

Lance,
I was thinking the same thing. This is the first group from here that I thought measured up to the pictures I've seen of coyotes from Nebraska and Kansas, which is odd considering the warm winter we've had.

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 12:20 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
MULE, those are Verne Howey's shooting sticks. I like them better than anything else I've tried so far.

Rich, I'm working my way up slow to a grown up rifle [Smile] . If I start using one, I'll have to keep a close eye on that .17P though. Since I let Tim start using it whenever I'm running the camera this year, he's quit using his old .243 completely. Although, he just aquired a pre '64 M70 in .264, which after I got done cleaning 40 years worth of dust out of it, looks to have a nearly pristine bore. We're both kind of anxious to get out and smack a couple with it [Smile] .

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 01:40 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
DAA

I assume Tim already knows this. If he's planning on shooting that .264 off sticks, tell him to hang on and watch out for the glasses.

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 02:12 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
DAA,

I'll be happy to hold onto that 17P of yours down here and keep it safe while you and Tim work out the bugs in his new rifle.

You won't have to worry about it getting any rust!

Tim

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
JeremyKS
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 03:23 PM      Profile for JeremyKS   Author's Homepage   Email JeremyKS         Edit/Delete Post 
Ive seen Verne Howey's shooting sticks before in some pics but never up close. Does the U cup rotate on top of the sticks or how does that work?
Posts: 369 | From: Texas panhandle | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 05:22 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy,

Yeah they do. And the legs are not attached to the yoke the rifle rests in. SO, you can extend them way to the sides of stand the setup up tall without altering the yoke any at all. Pretty good sets of sticks.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 07:29 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
We can't seem to coax any predators to show themselves in the warmth of day, so Matt and I have opted to string a little steel and pick up a few in the dark.

Matt did manage to cuff a nice little bobcat today.

-

Not very big, but in the words of the landowner, "kill a cat, save a covey." Hope to have some more pictures tomorrow.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 11:52 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see you guys posting pictures, tends to get folks pumped up. It's always good to see others having success.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 04:17 PM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
Try And post a couple of pics first attempt. Fingers crossed.

-
 -

I think It work these where killed in mid nov.

[ January 25, 2006, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: albert ]

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 04:25 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice mess of coyotes, there albert.
you guys, sure have plump ones up there [Cool]

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 06:17 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Those look better than my January coyotes, Albert.

I did get this critter this morning in a coyote set...

-

He was all smiles when I got there!

Oh, BTW, I actually called a coyote this morning and killed it. Nice little pale female. Starting to show some rub here in Kansas already, but she wasn't in estrus yet and was running alone best I could tell.

--------------------

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2006 05:09 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
I think [ALL] the coyotes in my area, went To Canada [Big Grin] . Last 2 days I drove over 140 miles spotting & made 3-callin sets = nada [Roll Eyes]

Sureeee, now that I have a grasp on those little dots, in my scope. They don't want to play with me, LOL!

brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2006 06:04 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a damn fine take, Albert.

Man, I sure like like the looks of those big Canadian coyotes. And November coyotes no less.

Brad

onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2006 06:30 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Albert, can you guys hunt coyotes at night or from your truck? I'd love to be able to go up there and hunt them the way I hunt them down here. Cool pic, thanks.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2006 06:36 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
I had three snared today, both females showed a little blood and all were rubbed. Nothing to skin. Cenny Burnell killed 14 with the airplane a couple days ago and he said most of the females were showing blood and rubbed.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2006 06:45 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
could someone post picture for me

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2006 07:01 PM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
One coyote, Daylight hunting only. In some parts of Saskatchewan (maybe all) I know that your technique would be extremely effective. At least if it's anything like Leonards.

Here is some more from acouple of weeks ago

-

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2006 07:19 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
albert,

What has January's weather been up your way?

upper 30's-low 50's here[no snow]. Bites, the big pickle, for sure here.

brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2006 08:05 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
For "TA17Rem" and some impressive .17 cal shooting.

-

-

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 06:03 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome TA17, so they really do have fox and coyotes in Minn. lol Very nice.
Albert, what sounds do you pitch them on that WT? It's bringing them in by the truckload.

IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 07:03 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Have not been out west calling yet. All the yotes pictured above have been taken by hunt/stalk methods. I hunt with a crew about six guys, two guys put the sneak on, and the rest post at key locations. if the two guys doing the sneaking miss shot at yote then the blockers get a crack at them.We call it snipeing, been lucky most of my shots were at 100-450 yds. A member of crew usees a 243 ackley and has taken four in the 500-600 yd. range. At this moument i have taken 23 yotes, and as a crew we have a total of 73 yotes, and 5 fox.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 07:25 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
TA17Rem,

I'm a spot/stalk hunter, myself. Alot of fun, when the snow is quiet, eh [Cool]

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters